• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A writeup in this week's edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter sheds new light on the extent of WWE's TV woes in the UK.

Raw and SmackDown's British numbers aren't always circulated in wrestling media so this makes for some interesting reading. Per the report, the 14 October Raw drew 38,000, down 10,000 from the previous week's show featuring Tyson Fury, who is a huge star in his home country. The 18 October SmackDown compelled 23,000 to tune in. Then, on 21 October, Raw drew just 3,000 viewers.

3,000. That is not an error.

This number is so low that Meltzer claims "people thought it was a computer glitch," but the data has since been confirmed legitimate. Naturally, people within WWE and Sky (their broadcaster) are stunned.

For context, Impact wrestling's 18 October episode had 77,000 viewers in the United Kingdom, which is approximately ten times their usual average in the US. AEW Dynamite, meanwhile, did a whopping 232,000 on ITV on 14 October.

The AEW figures don't included FITE.TV viewers which I assume is a pretty big number among dedicated fans.

3000 is BIG yikes. I wonder if anything got less viewers that time slot.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Pretty hilarious. I don't know anyone who watches Raw weekly - it's fucking 3 hours long and you can just watch a highlights video on YouTube.

Also Smackdown being on Friday nights is an insta-nope for me, as I'm usually busy being sociable then.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hilarious. I don't know anyone who watches Raw weekly - it's fucking 3 hours long and you can just watch a highlights video on YouTube.

Also Smackdown being on Friday nights is an insta-nope for me, as I'm usually busy being sociable then.
I'll try and watch Raw but usually tap out within the first hour. I don't have Fox so I don't watch Smackdown. AEW's 2 hours fly by.

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Raw air at 3am in the UK?
No it's at 00:00 or 01:00 and runs 3 hours.

But the fact they had a 93% viewership drop off from the prior week is incredible. Fans will stay up for something they like. I watch AEW live each week on Fite.tv for 2 hours at that time

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

But the fact they had a 93% viewership drop off from the prior week is incredible. Fans will stay up for something they like. I watch AEW live each week on Fite.tv for 2 hours at that time
Was there something else airing that competed at the same time?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
People have to work, how many people do they expect to tune into a three hour show at midnight, even if just to watch and hour or so.

I know the show isn't that great, but I think that time slot is killing it more than anything.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to know how much BT are paying for this shite when they takeover from Sky.

Has anybody snapped up the UK FTA highlights show the WWE were shopping around?

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know anyone that watches wrestling. I haven't heard and Brit talk about watching it since, like, 2001 maybe?

Oct 27, 2017
People have to work, how many people do they expect to tune into a three hour show at midnight, even if just to watch and hour or so.

I know the show isn't that great, but I think that time slot is killing it more than anything.

Well, I'd be interested to compare these figures against Thursday, Monday and Sunday night football, all of which air at 1:20am here and also on Sky.

People in the UK working around their sleeping arrangements for sporting events isn't new or unusual.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

Why would they suddenly drop from 23k to 3k in one week if the reason is the time slot they've been in for over a decade? That isn't what's killing it, that's an excuse, what's killing it is that Raw's a terrible show and there's far better alternatives out there now.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
2Z5YeAv.gif

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Raw air at 3am in the UK?

Yep. Tons of people (including me) stayed up for raw 20 years ago when it was hot. If I didn't I got spoiled at uni the next day lol

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
AEW outdrawing WWE in this scenario doesn't entirely surprise me though. Impact Wrestling outdrawing WWE though...

g3p1EEK.gif

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sky sports is pay TV, itv 4 is Freeview, I don't even know what impact is on anymore so dunno if it's pay or Freeview.

Still really, really, really fucking bad.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, shit, AEW is on ITV?

Gonna have to start tuning in.
Yes, the schedule for it is (it's a bit of a mess because ITV can't seem to schedule it consistently):

Live: 1am Thursday mornings via "AEW Plus" subscription on Fite.tv (£4.89 / month, episodes are commercial free so you get to see promos/parts of matches etc while ITV has adverts)
10pm Thursday night: ITV Hub on demand (this is the time that keeps moving round, ITV can't seem to upload it by the time they say it should be available)
10pm Friday night: ITV4
11:45pm Monday night: ITV1, hour long highlights

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Everyone is watching House of Pain Wrestling in the local pubs instead.

I assume with all the posters I see up round here anyway.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wrestling was huge here in the late 90s,

WCW on channel 5 and WWF on Sky sports

Interest in wrestling has died the last 10-15 years

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
We did some shows over in Europe last year that got I think 2000 people? It's nice to know that we are almost at the level of wrestling.