• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Hour 1: 1.846 0.42 (#4 on cable)
Hour 2: 1.821 0.43 (#2 on cable behind NHL playoffs)
Hour 3: 1.530 0.38 (#5 on cable)

Pretty big drop for hour 3, but it looks like the Cody countdown clock continues to work its magic.

I imagine Dynamite will see a drop tomorrow despite being the PPV go-home show for Double or Nothing with a stacked-looking card. It will be dealing with NHL playoffs from 8pm EST and NBA playoffs from 8:30pm EST.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
They were 6th of the night

hJokzHD.png

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
NBA Finals don't start until Thursday. With the intrigue around MJF, CM Punk crowned as new AEW champion, new post-PPV story directions, and a big probably-hot crowd in LA, AEW Dynamite should do a big number on Wednesday. Ngl, incredibly curious to see how this goes. Things have lined up almost perfectly for them for the first time in a long time. I hate the "LOL can't hit a million" discourse because it's never in good faith, but I will be actively shocked if they don't hit over a million this week. Hell, let's hit 1.1 or 1.2. A million is the absolute floor for Dynamite this Wednesday.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
NBA Finals don't start until Thursday. With the intrigue around MJF, CM Punk crowned as new AEW champion, new post-PPV story directions, and a big probably-hot crowd in LA, AEW Dynamite should do a big number on Wednesday. Ngl, incredibly curious to see how this goes. Things have lined up almost perfectly for them for the first time in a long time. I hate the "LOL can't hit a million" discourse because it's never in good faith, but I will be actively shocked if they don't hit over a million this week. Hell, let's hit 1.1 or 1.2.

Punk return gave AEW the biggest bump possible, and they retained a good portion of that bump, reaching the constant around a million people. Puting the belt on Punk should give another bump and I'm actually curious if they're gonna be able to retain that going foward. Interesting times ahead. While the competition has their top champion not being around much anymore, and the new star bump being basically dead, it all falls into Punk and TK to pull it through and bring new viewers.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Punk return gave AEW the biggest bump possible, and they retained a good portion of that bump, reaching the constant around a million people. Puting the belt on Punk should give another bump and I'm actually curious if they're gonna be able to retain that going foward. Interesting times ahead. While the competition has their top champion not being around much anymore, and the new star bump being basically dead, it all falls into Punk and TK to pull it through and bring new viewers.

1 million is the floor this week. Feels like they could even cross 1.1 mil, with 1.2 being the high estimate of what's possible. It certainly feels like they have buzz right now, and like it's possible to sustain it depending on how interesting Punk's reign is, how they follow up with Wardlow, and how they keep people invested with a bunch of fresh New Japan faces likely showing up immediately.

Tony's storytelling/booking is a mixed bag. The good stuff is REALLY good and often falls into pitch perfect pro wrestling, but the bad stuff can be...the TNT title program. I'm sure there will be some fumbling of the ball, but Khan's performance overall has many more hits than misses. I hope we get a bunch of hits this summer to keep the buzz going, in the same way they did last summer with the Blood and Guts, Fyter Fest, and Fight for the Fallen specialty shows.

We're entering an important and interesting part of AEW's history right now, and we are definitely in a growth opportunity time this week and over the next several months.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, I didn't think the NHL semis would do that well.
2022-5-30-Mon-FinalCable-LSD.png

Still feel that 1 mil total is the baseline for Dynamite tonight, and that anywhere between .36 or .39 is achievable in the demo. Hell, maybe more.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
The NHL leaving ESPN was the dumbest thing they ever did and the NHL coming back to ESPN was the smartest.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
NHL getting off NBCSN was the smartest decision ever. Regular season hockey ratings were dire, but holy shit are the playoffs massive

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if the Dynamite ratings will be held off another day because of Memorial Day and everything else being behind up until now.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So Punk brought a boost in 18-49 but total viewership stays the same. Half great, half underwhelming

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, that's a weird one. I'm underwhelmed by the total viewership increase, but the demo boost is impressive. I thought 1 million was an easy get for them with 9 million people not tuned into the NBA…despite knowing the 1 mil is an arbitrary figure.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Demo is really good. Specially considering that with the other stories going on and making noise in social media, there might be another boos next week. With Hell in a Cell being barely advertised, I doubt there will be a PPV bump for next week's WWE shows. Considering both, Dynamite might tie or beat them in the demo again then.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Demo is really good. Specially considering that with the other stories going on and making noise in social media, there might be another boos next week. With Hell in a Cell being barely advertised, I doubt there will be a PPV bump for next week's WWE shows. Considering both, Dynamite might tie or beat them in the demo again then.
Nah game 3 of the NBA finals is next Wednesday.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
They were #2 behind the NHL game last night, which did a 0.75 and 2.363 mil viewers. Some show called The Match was #3 with a 0.36 and 1.085 mil.

Edit: There we go.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
1998: the kids want to give their boss a stunner

2022: The kids want to tell their boss FIRE ME YOU FUCKING MARK

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Like 100k people seemingly either went "Well nothing's going to top that this week" and bailed or went "What the fuck is this shit" and bailed after that MJF promo.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Huh. People really did check out after MJF maybe even without seeing who Johnny Elite's opponent was going to be. Nice to see them bounce back and mostly hold steady for the rest of the show.

I appreciate that even though they know putting a guy like Daniel Garcia in a main event is probably going to result in a loss of viewers regardless of his opponent, it DOES build up Garcia's stock so that he'll feel like a bigger deal in the future and will probably have more people sticking around when he's in future main events. JAS is doing way more for him than BCC probably would have IMO.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is the Google Trend for the search term "MJF" for the last 24 hours (actually from the exact moment Dynamite started until now). I would not be surprised if a lot of people stepped away from the TV after the promo to talk with friends, do some google, and stuff like that

unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.