• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Not very surprised about Rampage. It was fun, but it was a bunch of obviously nothing matches and then the main event

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Rampage ratings have stopped mattering to me. It's on too late, and it will remain in the 400k-500k range until they change that.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Run RoH on rampages slot.

Ill be honest, im really waiting for the fans to be allowed to popoff in njpw again. The products stellar their and NOAH lately but the eerie clap and then echoing silence is offputting.

They lift the cheering ban and ill be happy. ZSJ and Naito clips got me excited.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I legit love Rampage's format, but I get people thinking it's skippable. Feels like it needs a title match or a hot must-see every week to stay relevant in many people's minds.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
3rd of the night behind the NBA

rajm0cu60sq81.png

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend has only been a fan for the past three years and enjoys AEW (despite not being a fan of most of the female roster who aren't joshi's) and we'll watch every pay per view, but the fact it airs during our working hours means she doesn't watch every Dynamite - let alone Rampage. Wrestling matches alone are not enough to make her tune in, because like, she may love Mox but she doesn't know who Jay Lethal is and hasn't been given a reason to care on the text of the show. Hell she still doesn't 'get' Adam Cole despite my marking the fuck out and folks like Keith Lee and Swerve are at least doing neat things and being cool outside of wrestling matches themselves so even if she doesn't watch the match, I can show her stuff.

I felt no need to tell her to watch Dynamite this week, even when I mentioned Toni Storm debuting - she had no clue who that was, despite the fact we're both Aussies.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My girlfriend has only been a fan for the past three years and enjoys AEW (despite not being a fan of most of the female roster who aren't joshi's) and we'll watch every pay per view, but the fact it airs during our working hours means she doesn't watch every Dynamite - let alone Rampage. Wrestling matches alone are not enough to make her tune in, because like, she may love Mox but she doesn't know who Jay Lethal is and hasn't been given a reason to care on the text of the show. Hell she still doesn't 'get' Adam Cole despite my marking the fuck out and folks like Keith Lee and Swerve are at least doing neat things and being cool outside of wrestling matches themselves so even if she doesn't watch the match, I can show her stuff.

I felt no need to tell her to watch Dynamite this week, even when I mentioned Toni Storm debuting - she had no clue who that was, despite the fact we're both Aussies.

It's one of the issues AEW has: it you watch weekly you get to know and care (and it feels rewarding because the show instantly becomes all the more interesting when you do), but if you are a casual it's very hard to get to care enough to watch weekly. And I don't have an idea on how to fix that.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hope Rampage gets back over 500k soon. Friday's show was very good in my books, but I'm not the market their marketing team has to convince.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
i honestly thought Rampage would be lower than last week since I'm sure there were some fans who decided to watch Super Card of Honor over Rampage.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
cody = ratings

for what it's worth, the last raw after mania with fans did 2.9 million viewers (2019)

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
The total viewers I don't think is overly impressive but that demo number is great. Looking forward to seeing the quarter hours

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Coming off a buzz-worthy Mania and the WWE TV debut of Cody Rhodes. No way to look at this other than a massive success for WWE.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Good number for them. Also kind of trivialises the arguments that competition hurts them because they did perfectly well against the CBB NCG.

It's the boring, mindless product and it always has been.

Anyway, there's always lapsed fans that come back for mania/raw after mania but it never lasts.

Does anyone else, who's stayed away, feel a compulsion to start tuning in again next week? Idk about that. But maybe Cody really is that much of a draw now? lol

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cody is a draw brother.

Vince will sign ex-AEW for big ratings.

Vince "Gimme Joey Janela's phone number damn it!"

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's gonna be real interesting to watch the next Wrestlenomics as I'm sure Brandon will cover how Raw and Smackdown have traditionally done in this period and how quickly the ratings have started to drop after.

I believe it has been getting quicker and quicker over the last few years but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I give it 4-5 more long winded rambling promos before the crowd gets restless with him and just gets the same old match from him. Then again, this is the WWE crowd we're talking about who cheers finisher spamming matches, so who knows.

And that's a 600,000 viewer difference from the last Raw after Mania with fans.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I honestly wouldn't be so fast in saying how bad it'll go. While chances are clearly in favor of that happening, we're in a bit of a weird spot. WWE is promoting matches and segments with anticipation, now even a week ahead, something they didn't for a long, long time. During the past few months there were fewer disqualifications and shenanigans, etc. and I'm pretty sure all of this is because of competition. Could just have been something because of Road to Wrestlemania and they'll fuck up? Totally. But there's also a chance that they're afraid of the competition, and I'm very sure that this has something to do with those small but effective changes.

Even if it goes down, it could stay higher than before. Who would've thought that promoting your shows, having good matches and complete finishes was a good thing.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, jumping to 2.1 million for Raw is huge in 2022. This is a company that was averaging 1.5-1.6 million during the NFL season. If they stick around even 1.8 to 1.9 million throughout the summer, that would be a W for them.

I can't stand WWE, but I can still objectively see that some of the things they've been trying have been working for one reason or another.

Buuuuut their track record also makes me feel like we're always just waiting for the other shoe to drop i.e. for Vince to get bored.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Dynamite will get a post Wrestlemania bump. Wrestling seems to have permitted pop culture a bit more this year, compared to the last few years.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It's safe to say that Dynamite has hit a plateau. I wonder how many people watch it through the subscription instead and how bigger the number would be adding those two.

But regardless, there are things holding Dynamite from growing more but I'm unsure about what it is. And it's not to say it isn't in a great place. It hits the close to 1m/bit over 1m every single week, and that's awesome. But the growth stopped several weeks ago and I wonder why it is.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Would've liked to see more growth, but at least it's steady. Wonder if we'll see Punk back next week, and curious to see the quarter hours.

Also not sure what more they can do to grow the US TV audience because I feel they're doing so much right already.

They could definitely make almost all of the titles feel more important, though, and there are some things they need to course correct ASAP (Sammy/Tay being the primary culprit).

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Dynamite needs more time on the air basically. They aren't hotshotting angles and they aren't giving their biggest matches on TV. The longer it continues to be on the air, the more likely casual viewers start watching more often.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
The first quarter was very low compared to usual. If it was at normal post Big Bang Theory levels I think it would have hit 1mil/500k.

Some positives with the quarters in that the last 2 quarters bucked the trend of downward growth and was especially strong in the demo.

This is purely based on looking at the viewing figures and not some misogynistic bullshit but majority of the "woman's segments" (I say this as they have started to group the female promos and matches together, usually in the 6th quarter) lose a chunk of viewers for them. I imagine this excludes Britt segments but I haven't done enough of a deep deep to work that out.

I know for myself the majority of the woman's matches on the show lose my interest due to the quality level being a major drop off. I used to love the woman's division in NXT 1.0 more than the men's, so I am definitely interested in watching woman's matches but the majority aren't good enough. I wish Tony Khan would invest in some more quality and seasoned woman (Athena when!) so they can stack the roster and put on more high level matches, as opposed to development matches (Julia Hart is only 20, so don't want to knock her too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.