• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine how many dump trucks filled with cash that Vince is sending out to Dwayne's house right about now.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Vince probably won't truly feel the heat unless Shadid Khan personally embarasses him like how he feels Ted Turner did. Vince trying to take out the competition is his natural state like how he buried the territories, Turner was the bigger guy he finally ran into he couldn't bully around and instead got beaten in their first business dealings before Nitro got started.

WWE is in a far far more secure position now than it was in the 90s during/following the steroid trial, WWE is successful now in spite of it self. The massive inferiority complex he had against Turner probably makes him refuse to acknowledge anyone else as an actual rival.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer Vince ignoring AEW than doing some anti competitive bullshit instead.

or just hire the olds. Anything that doesn't mess with the good wrestling

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Vince probably won't truly feel the heat unless Shadid Khan personally embarasses him like how he feels Ted Turner did. Vince trying to take out the competition is his natural state like how he buried the territories, Turner was the bigger guy he finally ran into he couldn't bully around and instead got beaten in their first business dealings before Nitro got started.

WWE is in a far far more secure position now than it was in the 90s during/following the steroid trial, WWE is successful now in spite of it self. The massive inferiority complex he had against Turner probably makes him refuse to acknowledge anyone else as an actual rival.
I wonder how Shadid's opinion of Tony businesswise has changed over the past two years.

Has anyone asked Tony that? Really interesting question.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Vince has already been trying anti competitive BS to stop AEW

But nothing stops this train

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
kenny-omega-strut4jk5d.gif

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Phenomenal rating. Beating Raw in 18-49 before football even starts.

Does anyone know roughly how much football usually impacts Raw, percentage wise? Presumably it depends on the teams, but considering Raw has already dropped below 1.5 million in the recent past... things are looking good for AEW if they can keep this up.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
"Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night's head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint."

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

Does anyone know roughly how much football usually impacts Raw, percentage wise? Presumably it depends on the teams, but considering Raw has already dropped below 1.5 million in the recent past... things are looking good for AEW if they can keep this up.

Like a 2-300k drop typically. Maybe even more this year since football has crowds again.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Now hopefully there will be a mass exodus of WWE talent starting with the likes of Owens and Zayn. Balor and Nakamura would be dope too. Perfect fits for AEW.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Brandon Thurston looked at previous results and the average is around 6%-9% but there have been outliers in some years (smaller and as big as 15%ish.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh wow, things are getting there.

Danielson in ring debut vs Omega will be an absolute bloodbath in ratings. That shit will draw. A LOT.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Women and Olds is a weird situation to tackle for AEW.

I'd love to know what women see in WWE each week that has them coming back in such large numbers. Is it the higher quantity of women's matches & angles? Like terrible Nia Jax matches and Alexa Bliss funhouse segments? Or is it good looking dudes? Roman Reigns looks like someone straight off the cover of a romance novel.

From what I understand, Total Divas/Bellas and Ronda Rousey brought in a MASSIVE amount of new female viewers for main roster WWE, which is baffling but it did in fact happen. Now, all those shows are done, and Ronda is long gone. The fact they've stuck around for such a shitty product that is really nothing like those reality shows is nothing short of a miracle.

Then, we have the olds. I get that there's some who watch out of habit, but I'm even more amazed that they aren't MASSIVELY turned off by such lame shit like Moist TV or the Alexa Bliss stuff. I have a perception of old wrestling fans as the "Back in my day, we used to watch Bruno. Now that was a REAL wrestler, none of this soap opera shit" type. In theory, AEW would appeal to them more, as it's more grounded and old school in that sense. But obviously that's not the case, and the olds will continue to watch... Nia Jax matches

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017

I'd love to know what women see in WWE each week that has them coming back in such large numbers. Is it the higher quantity of women's matches & angles? Like terrible Nia Jax matches and Alexa Bliss funhouse segments? Or is it good looking dudes? Roman Reigns looks like someone straight off the cover of a romance novel.

From what I understand, Total Divas/Bellas and Ronda Rousey brought in a MASSIVE amount of new female viewers for main roster WWE, which is baffling but it did in fact happen. Now, all those shows are done, and Ronda is long gone. The fact they've stuck around for such a shitty product that is really nothing like those reality shows is nothing short of a miracle.

Based on your logic (which I agree with) the Cody/Brandi reality show should help bring in more female viewers. I think that, along with the continued improvement in the division as well as more exposure on Rampage should see AEW making a lot of inroads with that segment as well.

I don't know what you do about the olds.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Women change the channel when there is blood and more extreme violence like weapons matches. AEW actually did really well with women when it first started. It's a double edged sword because doing the stuff that turns off women also makes more males 18-49 want to watch the show so viewership has increased there.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
seeing on Twitter that Tony Khan said more than 200,000 PPV sold...

I was kind of expecting it but still don't believe it! wow!

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Then, we have the olds. I get that there's some who watch out of habit, but I'm even more amazed that they aren't MASSIVELY turned off by such lame shit like Moist TV or the Alexa Bliss stuff. I have a perception of old wrestling fans as the "Back in my day, we used to watch Bruno. Now that was a REAL wrestler, none of this soap opera shit" type. In theory, AEW would appeal to them more, as it's more grounded and old school in that sense. But obviously that's not the case, and the olds will continue to watch... Nia Jax matches
The problem also is that AEW goes up against shows on Wednesday that do real well in female demos in Real Housewives, The Challenge, Married at first sight, etc. That's not to say they can't do more to increase female viewership

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Pretty crazy. They probably already made back whatever they're paying Punk in the First Dance gate and increased PPV buys alone.

I expect that may be the high water mark for a while but it's pretty clear AEW is the big, big leagues now. They're not just an alternative but real competition

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy. They probably already made back whatever they're paying Punk in the First Dance gate and increased PPV buys alone.

I expect that may be the high water mark for a while but it's pretty clear AEW is the big, big leagues now. They're not just an alternative but real competition

They already did on shirt sales alone, 100,000 shirts sold in a weekend.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Based on your logic (which I agree with) the Cody/Brandi reality show should help bring in more female viewers. I think that, along with the continued improvement in the division as well as more exposure on Rampage should see AEW making a lot of inroads with that segment as well.

I don't know what you do about the olds.

Yes, very curious about the Cody/Brandi show and whether or not it can capture an audience that wouldn't even consider AEW.

Is there any figure that even comes close to a Ronda Rousey right now? I know they can get Amanda Nunes, but from what I understand, he isn't popping PPV buys and MMA popularity with the female audience like Ronda did.

Women change the channel when there is blood and more extreme violence like weapons matches. AEW actually did really well with women when it first started. It's a double edged sword because doing the stuff that turns off women also makes more males 18-49 want to watch the show so viewership has increased there.

Oh yeah, the blood stuff. Definitely turning off women. Unfortunately, it's one of the defining aspects of AEW that helps differentiate it from WWE, so I don't think you can do a blood ban just for the sake of audience who is being turned off.

Would be good if AEW could somehow educate the audience that something like Baker/Rosa Lights Out or Blood and Guts isn't a regular occurrence. You can still enjoy the show even if you dislike blood!

Oct 27, 2017
I think you do shows that cater to women more like that Rhodes to the top thing. To get women more invested in the universe then you capitalize on it by featuring people they'll see on the show like Jade Cargill and Johnny Hungie or whoever shows up there. That way viewers of that show will recognize more of the wrestlers and might get more invested in them if they do tune in to AEW Dynamite and would be more likely to stick around.

Also I think those two really big shows with the highest female viewer demos are ending pretty soon. Like I'm sure Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is done before October and the Challenge should be done in December so that one might become AEW's biggest competition on Wednesdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.