• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. That's not good considering it's the first official appearance of Punk. They put on a pretty poor showing for new viewers that weren't already following AEW I think.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the excuse this week?

Until AEW adjusts their booking no signings will move the needle. Everyone dying to see Punk was already an AEW fan.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f5a5657516f7a6e61774165435f773d3d2d3239383433313237352e313436616531396231636565346331633139303932363438373334342e676966

What's the excuse this week?

Until AEW adjusts their booking no signings will move the needle. Everyone dying to see Punk was already an AEW fan.

It's still the second best rating of the year, isn't it?

I'd say that people knowing he won't wrestle until All Out means they aren't as interested until then

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
2nd highest 18-49 number ever sounds like a good thing.

1.172 million is in the region of what I was expecting, but I'm sure there will be plenty of doom posting in fan spaces here and abroad.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The 18-49 is the second highest in the show's history.

That's good!

We have to see if AEW can maintain +1M a week. They are close to it but long stretches of +1M will be good.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Woof. That's not good considering it's the first official appearance of Punk. They put on a pretty poor showing for new viewers that weren't already following AEW I think.
It was a puzzling episode booking wise. So many star names that didn't have matches. A few had promos, but it was a really lacking episode match wise from either a "I know those people" or "This must be one of AEW's biggest stars" perspective for new viewers. From the matches announced for next week, I'd have put any of them over Factory/Gunn Club. It's building the PPV match, sure, but I don't think this was the episode to do it. This was "Punk's debuting on Dynamite, we probably have the most interest ever outside of Rampage or the debut episode, we need to hook people". I'm not sure they did.

Good 18-49 number though, just hope they can retain most of that next week which looks like a stronger card.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

It likely means that viewership dropped off a cliff after the Punk segment because what was left wasn't really worth sticking around for. But that's still their 3rd highest rating. It was never going to be at Raw levels.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I think booking Punk like Sting week to week just by virtue of him talking and being there isn't gonna cut it. At least for me personally.

Also, that number isn't bad at all what in the hell are some of you clowns, smoking?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
3rd highest viewership number ever also sounds like a good thing, and the overall trend is quite positive when you look at the graphs. Only people who were unrealistically expecting 1.5 million could be disappointed or mad at these numbers.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2nd highest 18-49 number ever sounds like a good thing.

1.172 million is in the region of what I was expecting, but I'm sure there will be plenty of doom posting in fan spaces here and abroad.
You would think Punk would give them their highest 18-49 ever. Plus Punk got AEW alot of mainstream publicity this week so I expected ratings to be atleast a 1.3. They were already doing over a million the month of July.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It was a puzzling episode booking wise. So many star names that didn't have matches. A few had promos, but it was a really lacking episode match wise from either a "I know those people" or "This must be one of AEW's biggest stars" perspective for new viewers. From the matches announced for next week, I'd have put any of them over Factory/Gunn Club. It's building the PPV match, sure, but I don't think this was the episode to do it. This was "Punk's debuting on Dynamite, we probably have the most interest ever outside of Rampage or the debut episode, we need to hook people". I'm not sure they did.

Good 18-49 number though, just hope they can retain most of that next week which looks like a stronger card.

It's probably a derivative problem from having so much talent and needing to do something with all of them, as promised.

I can't give an opinion on the quality of the show yet since I watch wrestling on weekends while eating morning cereal. But whenever an episode with a lack of "stars" happen, I feel it has something to do with that.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong?

Christian
Andrade
Malakai
CM Punk

They've been #1 in the demo and overall before them and nothing much has changed since you took on all that payroll….and now you're gonna add Daniel Bryan and Adam Cole possibly?

The booking stays the same, the style of matches stays the same, you add all this talent and the ratings stay the same.

Something other than talent needs to change.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
A 0.67 in M18-49 is really impressive. Destroyed every other show in that demo by the looks of it.

The match card was surprising (to me anyway) but luckily it didn't hurt the viewership too much (interested to see the quarters after Punk appeared, hope they didn't fall off too much). Fingers crossed they can stay over 1 million next week and build from there.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong?

Christian
Andrade
Malakai
CM Punk

They've been #1 in the demo and overall before them and nothing much has changed since you took on all that payroll….and now you're gonna add Daniel Bryan and Adam Cole possibly?

The booking stays the same, the style of matches stays the same, you add all this talent and the ratings stay the same.

LOL, you think I'm engaging your trolling

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
#1 show for the night
2nd highest demo rating in history
3rd highest rating in history

If people haven't ignored bonch00ski, just save yourself the headache. Trust everybody who has done so already, same shit different week.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Rating was a bit lower than what I predicted, but overall it was solid and the demo number in particular was good.

But still, that was a spectacularly weak Dynamite quality-wise considering they knew they would have extra eyes on them. I'm curious how some of the second hour quarters did

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the drones will say once 1.5 million becomes a regular occurrence. What about when 2 million starts to happen? If it overtakes Raw regularly? What will be the problem with AEW Dynamite when it's the top performing weekly wrestling show?

That rating was amazing considering the huge quality mismatch between the first and second hour. I still wouldn't even call it a bad show. It wasn't good by Dynamite standards but it didn't feel like I was wasting my time watching it. (Besides whenever the Young Bucks were on camera)

Can't wait to see the quarters.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at The Challenge. No one over 50 gives a fuck about that show. I wonder how well Dynamite will do once that show is gone again. Because those young women demos are nuts considering how many people watched the show in total.

Is Real Housewives a year round show as well? I'm hoping Rhodes To the Top helps bring in more regular female viewers to the AEW universe.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Not the highest rating ever

ergo

Punk is confirmed to have a Ratings stat of -200k

TK got conned

you know what, just to be clear, I'm kidding

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Kinda disappointed by those numbers but only from a flashy headlines perspective. It's a good number. And while the card wasn't the best but I don't want them pumping all the same people fighting the same matches every week.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
For some, nothing AEW does will ever be good enough. It's kind of sad to see really, trying to tear strips off a company still in its infancy, almost like they actually want WWE to be the only game in town.
AEW is less than 2 years into existence, still finding it's identity, fighting against a company who's viewership is largely habitual at this point, it's tough to convince WWE fans to give AEW a try and stick around. Tougher still to draw in lapsed fans that WWE spent the last 2 decades driving away from wrestling altogether. They already beat out an established WWE brand handily on Wednesday nights, are drawing great demo numbers at a fraction of the cost to their parent network than WWE is, got renewed mere months into their first year...but it's not enough for some. AEW didn't draw pie in the sky numbers for a show it's clear that CM Punk isn't going to be wrestling on until after his PPV match...so Tony Khan must now be unhappy, and blah blah blah.
Such a weird mentality.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people saying this rating is not great? I'm I seeing the wrong things?

Unreasonable expectations because they thought there was a mythical 500k-1m people just waiting for CM Punk to come back to get into non-WWE wrestling again.

The number will grow over time as it has continued to, there is no short cut, and building a WWE alternative in wrestling form is a process. I'd say the 2nd highest rated show since its debut is real progress.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
For some, nothing AEW does will ever be good enough. It's kind of sad to see really, trying to tear strips off a company still in its infancy, almost like they actually want WWE to be the only game in town.
AEW is less than 2 years into existence, still finding it's identity, fighting against a company who's viewership is largely habitual at this point, it's tough to convince WWE fans to give AEW a try and stick around. Tougher still to draw in lapsed fans that WWE spent the last 2 decades driving away from wrestling altogether. They already beat out an established WWE brand handily on Wednesday nights, are drawing great demo numbers at a fraction of the cost to their parent network than WWE is, got renewed mere months into their first year...but it's not enough for some. AEW didn't draw pie in the sky numbers for a show it's clear that CM Punk isn't going to be wrestling on until after his PPV match...so Tony Khan must now be unhappy, and blah blah blah.
Such a weird mentality.
The bolded is why I was pretty down on last night's show from a booking perspective. I love AEW and want them to do as well as they possibly can, and I was surprised we got the card we did for Punk's first Dynamite show. It felt like one of those shows that doesn't come along very often - a show where you know you're almost guaranteed a huge rating just to see one new signing, in this case Punk. I wanted them to use that show to hook new fans, and who knows, maybe they did that.

My main issue looking at the card at face value was that there was a lack of established stars (AEW or elsewhere) in matches - no Kenny, Christian, Miro, Britt, Thunder Rosa, Shida, Nyla Rose, Kris Statlander, Dante Martin, Jungle Boy, Young Bucks, etc. Some of them had promo segments, so hopefully that was enough to introduce them to a new audience. Even the match with Mox/Darby/Eddie felt like it could have been split into two or three matches to make the matches feel "bigger".

I don't know - it was admittedly a kneejerk reaction. I just hope they can retain this audience next week and build from there.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird card to run when they were coming off one of the biggest nights of wrestling in so many years. They should've had bangers to keep the new eyes that for sure tuned in just for punk. I can see next week doing very close numbers. (I'm super fucking pumped for all out though)

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a derivative problem from having so much talent and needing to do something with all of them, as promised.

I can't give an opinion on the quality of the show yet since I watch wrestling on weekends while eating morning cereal. But whenever an episode with a lack of "stars" happen, I feel it has something to do with that.
Yeah, I think that's the case. At the end of the day, featuring more of the roster is undoubtedly better than rematch after rematch after rematch.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong?

Christian
Andrade
Malakai
CM Punk

Why do you care so much? Why do you always complain about AEW? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.