• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Wrestling will be the new vaudeville?
Yeah, for sure.

Will die the same death as well
5QZI4Lh.gif

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Are you confusing DVR with On Demand service? I know with On Demand you cant fast forward but I've never seen a DVR that didnt allow you to fast forward your own recordings.

With Sling's DVR, I can't fast forward through half of the commercial breaks. Usually I can fast forward only through the breaks with picture-in-picture.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
Are you confusing DVR with On Demand service? I know with On Demand you cant fast forward but I've never seen a DVR that didnt allow you to fast forward your own recordings.
This seems to vary based on streaming provider. Sling and Hulu don't let you skip commercials on cloud dvr (unless you pay more), but You Tube TV does by default.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
With Sling's DVR, I can't fast forward through half of the commercial breaks. Usually I can fast forward only through the breaks with picture-in-picture.
This seems to vary based on streaming provider. Sling and Hulu don't let you skip commercials on cloud dvr (unless you pay more), but You Tube TV does by default.
It actually can be determined by the provider. CBS doesn't let you FF through some DVRed commercials at a certain point of the recording being available, though with YouTubeTV you can do it all the time, now. They're easily one of, if not the, worst providers for limiting access and visibility of their content. My wife actually gets annoyed when she records Survivor because if she doesn't watch it within 24 hours of the recording and the VOD becomes available, she can't ff through her DVRed version of the show.

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
It actually can be determined by the provider. CBS doesn't let you FF through some DVRed commercials at a certain point of the recording being available, though with YouTubeTV you can do it all the time, now. They're easily one of, if not the, worst providers for limiting access and visibility of their content. My wife actually gets annoyed when she records Survivor because if she doesn't watch it within 24 hours of the recording and the VOD becomes available, she can't ff through her DVRed version of the show.
My mistake, I've only lived in Philadelphia and Virginia and all the cable and satellite providers had dvrs that allowed you to fast forward

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
My mistake, I've only lived in Philadelphia and Virginia and all the cable and satellite providers had dvrs that allowed you to fast forward
It really depends on if the DVR is local or not. It's harder for them to control and limit hardware you have on premises (a physical DVR settop box) versus cloud DVRs on things like Sling, YTTV, DTVN, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think AEW could learn some lessons from the best Nintendo game of all time, BOTW in how they present the product.

One lesson that AEW could learn from BOTW is starting slow at first. AEW was too much too fast and we were already seeing them have plans for a champion at the start. What they should have done was start on a smaller scale with a limited roster before opening up and revealing a bigger world where the champ was already there. Then they could naturally progress to the already established babyface making a play for the belt.

Another thing AEW could have learned was casting a wide net. BOTW has a gorgeous open world that players are free to explore, but it also has it's fair share of contained dungeons so players that enjoyed that aspect of Zelda games still can enjoy that. AEW does casts a wide net, but they made the mistake of having it on too many different platforms. People should get to experience BTE on the main show and fans shouldn't worry about missing content because it's on a different platform.

I really do think AEW can win this ratings war, but they need to learn the right leasons

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
As previously stated whenever ratings kick in, it's very very obvious that WWE and AEW share the same audience. You can either have wrestling shows daily/alternatively to boost the viewers, or you need to not run two shows on the same timeslots on the same day.

AEW can hit 1M+ easy if they move to Thursday's.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As previously stated whenever ratings kick in, it's very very obvious that WWE and AEW share the same audience. You can either have wrestling shows daily/alternatively to boost the viewers, or you need to not run two shows on the same timeslots on the same day.

If they moved to Thursdays, NXT would prolly move within a couple months lol. The point is to keep them from growing and becoming a competitor to main roster RAW/SDL.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think AEW could learn some lessons from the best Nintendo game of all time, BOTW in how they present the product.

One lesson that AEW could learn from BOTW is starting slow at first. AEW was too much too fast and we were already seeing them have plans for a champion at the start. What they should have done was start on a smaller scale with a limited roster before opening up and revealing a bigger world where the champ was already there. Then they could naturally progress to the already established babyface making a play for the belt.

Another thing AEW could have learned was casting a wide net. BOTW has a gorgeous open world that players are free to explore, but it also has it's fair share of contained dungeons so players that enjoyed that aspect of Zelda games still can enjoy that. AEW does casts a wide net, but they made the mistake of having it on too many different platforms. People should get to experience BTE on the main show and fans shouldn't worry about missing content because it's on a different platform.

I really do think AEW can win this ratings war, but they need to learn the right leasons
iMlVJk9.gif

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

TNT isn't giving them Thursdays over the NBA though.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Q4jkJ6U.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Daniel-Bryan-Shaking-His-Head-Mad.gif

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

I really do think AEW can win this ratings war, but they need to learn the right lessons
tenor.gif

Smackdown viewers last night:

Hour 1: 2.420
Hour 2: 2.257
Next week is definitely going to be their lowest week yet.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I blame wwe and butchering 205 live for this post.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
AEW Dynamite quarterly breakdown from last week.

AEW quarterlies:
Q1: Jon Moxley squash/Jericho segment – 870,000 viewers, 424,000 in 18-49

Q2: Cody & QT Marshall vs. The Butcher and the Blade – 822,000 viewers (lost 48,000), 365,000 in 18-49 (lost 59,000)

Q3: MJF promo/Dark Order video – 814,000 viewers (down 8,000), 350,000 in 18-49 (down 15,000)

Q4: Big Swole vs. Emi Sakura/PAC promo – 796,000 viewers (down 18,000), 329,000 in 18-49 (down 21,000)

Q5: Kenny Omega & Adam Page vs. Kip Sabian & Shawn Spears – 784,000 viewers (down 14,000), 331,000 in 18-49 (up 3,000)

Q6: Omega/Page vs. Sabian/Spears, Sammy Guevara vs. Luchasaurus – 774,000 viewers (down 10,000), 341,000 in 18-49 (up 10,000)

Q7: Guevara/Luchasaurus, Inner Circle/Jurassic Express angle – 687,000 viewers (down 87,000), 311,000 in 18-49 (down 30,000)

Q8: The Young Bucks vs. Santana and Ortiz – 685,000 viewers (down 2,000), 311,000 in 18-49 (even)

NXT quarterlies:
Q1: Lio Rush vs. Angel Garza – 840,000 viewers, 320,000 in 18-49

Q2: Garza/Rush, Shayna Baszler video – 785,000 viewers (down 55,000), 296,000 in 18-49 (down 24,000)

Q3: Garza proposal/Raul Mendoza vs. Cameron Grimes – 759,000 viewers (down 26,000), 289,000 in 18-49 (down 7,000)

Q4: Travis Banks vs. Jaxson Ryker/Mia Yim video – 723,000 viewers (down 36,000), 282,000 in 18-49 (down 7,000)

Q5: Mia Yim vs. Dakota Kai – 782,000 viewers (up 59,000), 311,000 in 18-49 (up 29,000)

Q6: Breezango vs. Singh Brothers – 742,000 viewers (down 40,000), 293,000 in 18-49 (down 18,000)

Q7: Bianca Belair vs. Kayden Carter – 783,000 viewers (up 41,000), 301,000 in 18-49 (up 8,000)

Q8: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Keith Lee vs. Finn Balor – 776,000 viewers (down 27,000), 316,000 in 18-49 (up 15,000)

Overrun: Ciampa/Lee/Balor – 901,000 (up 125,000), 385,000 (up 69,000)

Some quotes and things:
-Without the overrun, NXT had 771,000 viewers. AEW won head-to-head in the first six quarters.
-overrun gained 125,000 viewers for NXT (down from 150-200,000 average...though the viewership was already "high" for NXT, so maybe more tuning in live?)
-Dynamite had its oldest audience to date with 45.8
-Both shows opened with 17,000 teenagers, while NXT was eventually up to 32,000 for the main event compared to 7,000 for AEW
-women 18-34, AEW started with 47,000 and ended with 33,000. NXT started with 27,000 and ended with 47,000
-AEW peaked with the Jericho/Moxley segment and NXT peaked with their main event in both measures
-AEW started with 86,000 in women 35-49 and ended with 59,000. NXT started with 75,000 and ended with 44,000
-males 18-34, AEW started with 84,000 and ended with 85,000. NXT started with 61,000 and ended with 76,000. AEW peaked with Omega & Page vs. Spears & Sabian while NXT peaked with Belair vs. Carter

Basically, the women and the overrun continue to be NXT's strengths/ratings boosters. Rhea and Shayna are gonna tear up that final quarter hour and the overrun this week. Would be surprised by anything less.

That final quarter number for AEW is kind of a yikes compared to what they've been doing, especially considering how awesome that match was. But maybe casuals don't actually like The Young Bucks?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That final quarter number for AEW is kind of a yikes compared to what they've been doing, especially considering how awesome that match was. But maybe casuals don't actually like The Young Bucks?

Serious take? lol. People ain't want that rematch that quick.

The problem with those numbers is that they're all down. Not one single segment made people tune in, they just all left in droves.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Serious take? lol. People ain't want that rematch that quick.

The problem with those numbers is that they're all down. Not one single segment made people tune in, they just all left in droves.

Yeah, the gradual tuning out is not great, but they also front-loaded the card with Jericho and Moxley. Wonder if they'll try to spread their big acts more this week. Top 3 eye catchers are Jericho, Cody, and Moxley. Kenny is sometimes too, or he at least slows the bleeding.

Anyway, psyched for Wednesday. Hope Corpus Christi blows the roof off the place. Fingers crossed.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the gradual tuning out is not great, but they also front-loaded the card with Jericho and Moxley. Wonder if they'll try to spread their big acts more this week. Top 3 eye catchers are Jericho, Cody, and Moxley. Kenny is sometimes too, or he at least slows the bleeding.

Anyway, psyched for Wednesday. Hope Corpus Christi blows the roof off the place. Fingers crossed.

If you've only got two draws on your show then you've got a problem. Look at NXT's segments and which were up.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
repost from the Dynamite thread:
Ratings talk is weird. It reminds me of console warring when everyone is analyzing the broad strokes of sales figures per console per region. It's only when those numbers get extreme (Wii U, JP Xbox 360, Vita) that they become interesting. Right now with Dynamite and NXT tying just tells me that the audience for wrestling on a Wednesday night is probably hard capped at 2M in a best case scenario. Given the hype this week has been given this should be a strong ratings week but I think we're going to average at 800k barring anything weird going on elsewhere in TV land.

It sucks that there's a steady decline. But that's kind of par for the course in wrestling TV right? A mid-show bump is more rare than a decline. I basically can't watch dynamite with my kid (blood and language, I really don't need my kid chanting "Cowboy Shit" regardless of how hilarious it would be) so I usually tune in around 30 minutes in.

What would actually bring new people in? I feel like AEW is always trying something different with the show layout. NXT's layout is pretty well set.
TNT's been advertising as much as you could hope for. They probably need word of mouth to bubble into people outside of the wrestling sphere but WWE's poisoned the well for so many casuals that it's hard to break through (in my friend circle at least).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
repost from the Dynamite thread:
Ratings talk is weird. It reminds me of console warring when everyone is analyzing the broad strokes of sales figures per console per region. It's only when those numbers get extreme (Wii U, JP Xbox 360, Vita) that they become interesting. Right now with Dynamite and NXT tying just tells me that the audience for wrestling on a Wednesday night is probably hard capped at 2M in a best case scenario. Given the hype this week has been given this should be a strong ratings week but I think we're going to average at 800k barring anything weird going on elsewhere in TV land.

It sucks that there's a steady decline. But that's kind of par for the course in wrestling TV right? A mid-show bump is more rare than a decline. I basically can't watch dynamite with my kid (blood and language, I really don't need my kid chanting "Cowboy Shit" regardless of how hilarious it would be) so I usually tune in around 30 minutes in.

What would actually bring new people in? I feel like AEW is always trying something different with the show layout. NXT's layout is pretty well set.
TNT's been advertising as much as you could hope for. They probably need word of mouth to bubble into people outside of the wrestling sphere but WWE's poisoned the well for so many casuals that it's hard to break through (in my friend circle at least).

Word of mouth is probably the best way. I post about Dynamite on my personal FB once every two months or so, and it's gotten a couple of people interested, but not sure how many of those are converting to actual viewers. I'm also in Canada, where TV ratings are harder to get apparently.

Regarding the show format, I thought last week was the smoothest Dynamite has felt yet. They typically start with a commercial-free match, and I think that's what they should continue to do on most nights. They always end with a 10-15 minute match as well, and I don't think that should change either, unless the main goes 20 minutes or something. They'll sometimes have a show-ending angle or brawl. I know some smarks might complain about that, but honestly, I will die on the hill that AEW has the best faction/lockerroom clearing brawls in wrestling, so I don't mind one bit.

Anyway, yeah, it's hard. Wrestling is quickly becoming niche it seems.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hot Take Monday. But Cole shouldn't be losing viewers when he's facing Finn Balor.

Definitely hot take Monday, but a hot take based on several weeks of watching Cole's matches bleed viewers. Agreed on Balor, but then again, he's not it either. I hate to sound like Vince, but smaller guys, outside of a small select group, don't draw as well as wrestlers who are more physically imposing in terms of height and GIRTH. #DoubleHot

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely hot take Monday, but a hot take based on several weeks of watching Cole's matches bleed viewers. Agreed on Balor, but then again, he's not it either. I hate to sound like Vince, but smaller guys, outside of a small select group, don't draw. #DoubleHot

Sounds like you should be watching RAW and Smackdown, for one. Second, I've been watching wrestling just over five years now and I just...really don't get the hard on for "big guys". People try to explain it and it always sounds goofy.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Sounds like you should be watching RAW and Smackdown, for one. Second, I've been watching wrestling just over five years now and I just...really don't get the hard on for "big guys". People try to explain it and it always sounds goofy.

*shudder* No thanks. :) I've been watching wrestling for almost 30 years and the current version of WWE just isn't appealing to me.

Yeah, the "big guys" take is a strange one, but who has drawn for WWE over the past 20 years? Cena and Brock. Maybe Orton? Beefy and/or tall dudes that look like they could kick your ass. Don't know how things were in the Edge days.

BIG AND TALL, BABY.

EDIT: Regarding the current version of Raw and Smackdown, we've got Roman, The Fiend, Corbin, and Brock taking up the top of the card in terms of prestige. We've also got Bobby Lashley and Rusev in a prominent storyline that is destroying YouTube views.

I dunno, I also think it's dumb to think smaller guys can't draw (Shawn Michaels, Daniel Bryan), but it does seem to be more difficult. Maybe.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just big guys, it's supposed to be people larger than life. It's why Hogan slamming andre was a big deal.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, the overrun is when the show goes past it's allotted time, yeah? So if AEW sticks to 120min but NXT goes for an extra 10 minutes, is that an extra 10 minutes of viewers even if no-one switches from the end of AEW to NXT?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, the overrun is when the show goes past it's allotted time, yeah? So if AEW sticks to 120min but NXT goes for an extra 10 minutes, is that an extra 10 minutes of viewers even if no-one switches from the end of AEW to NXT?
If I understood correctly, things are averaged over viewing time, so if no-one switches it wouldnt matter.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Using the big guys draw idea in the era of Floyd Mayweather , Conor McGregor, Manny Pacquiao, and Steph Curry is strange. Having a larger-than-life personality and or being really good at what you do makes you a draw.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Any predictions for Raw viewership last night? Here are the averages from the previous 5 weeks:

• December 9, 2019—2.150 million viewers
  • December 2, 2019—2.208 million viewers
  • November 25, 2019—2.109 million viewers
  • November 18, 2019—2.127 million viewers
  • November 11, 2019—2.058 million viewers
We going sub 2 million this week? I'm gonna say 1.94 million.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Any predictions for Raw viewership last night? Here are the averages from the previous 5 weeks:

2.1 million

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Being a fallout show will probably keep them north of 2 million. What happened with Kairi had a lot of people talking and probably interested to tune in to see if she was okay. Next week is going to be rough for them though. Especially given those spoilers.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018

I disagree, I believe AEW's higher ups should be taking notes from beloved Domino's Pizza mascot The Noid instead.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Raw viewers for last night (in millions).

Hour 1: 2.204
Hour 2: 2.099
Hour 3: 1.858

Average: 2.05

Ranked #4, 8, and 11 on the night in the key demo.

For comparison, the December 17th 2018 edition of Raw averaged 2.55 million, and it was THIS episode...

The show featured the on-screen return of Vince McMahon, who was also joined by Shane McMahon, Stephanie McMahon and Triple H to admit how poor programming has been lately and that changes would be coming to the product over the next few months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.