• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Maybe Japanese and Mexican wrestling which is awesome.
Indeed

giphy.gif

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Do you get emotionally invested in or enjoy anything that isn't live sports? TV shows? Movies? Books? Music? South Park?

I like wrestling, been watching since the attitude era. But the product has been horrendously bad the last decade or so.

But I think the storytelling in wrestling in general is still bad overall. When I hear defenders of pro wrestling say that it's unique in the sense of its storytelling theater aspect, i think that's a load of bullshit - because boxing and MMA are both far more theatrical and real than pro wrestling. Professional fighting is a metaphor to life, seeing pro fighters who come from different walks of life/circumstances make it on the big stage makes for far more compelling entertainment than wrestling - add the icing on the cake that the intentions are real, and how a pro fighter deals with that adversity and challenge is part of the drama that makes it more compelling than wrestling.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit sports and real fighting is great and that kind of legit drama can't be matched when it's on point.

But I also fucking love sports movies and that's what wrestling can be and is to me. A monthly live on going sports movie.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Problem with WWE is the lack of creativity and poorly told stories and matches that generally all follow the same predictable formula and story with little variation that doesn't actually matter with a commentary team more interested in advertising something else and pushing the brand instead of actively working to enhance whatever story is supposed to be told in the ring while taking ques from the senile old man in the back. NXT is generally much better.

Pro-wrestling and MMA share their roots in the old, true carny days of catch wrestlers going around stretching unsuspecting "tough guys" at carnivals in rigged contests. Just one end saw a better business opportunity in make a show of it and evolved one way while the other side eventually went the other way.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I like wrestling, been watching since the attitude era. But the product has been horrendously bad the last decade or so.

But I think the storytelling in wrestling in general is still bad overall. When I hear defenders of pro wrestling say that it's unique in the sense of its storytelling theater aspect, i think that's a load of bullshit - because boxing and MMA are both far more theatrical and real than pro wrestling. Professional fighting is a metaphor to life, seeing pro fighters who come from different walks of life/circumstances make it on the big stage makes for far more compelling entertainment than wrestling - add the icing on the cake that the intentions are real, and how a pro fighter deals with that adversity and challenge is part of the drama that makes it more compelling than wrestling.

Not taking anything away from boxing or MMA, but the real-life people behind the characters also come from different walks of life and circumstances, deal with adversity and make it on the big stage. Recent example: Roman Reigns having to take a break because of a life-long battle with leukemia previously unknown to the public with Seth Rollins in actual tears followed up months later with his return to the adoration of the crowd.

Deleted member 3761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like most of the roster still but they can put together literally any pairing and I don't find it interesting. I honestly don't know where they go from here without a significant overhaul of presentation or ... something. "Better" or "more" wrestling isn't gonna do it.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Never got the Becky obsession and I'm one of the few that wasn't really on board with it....it was really bizarre and creepy to see how far some people were taking it.
Also: Isn't her calling herself "The Man" kind of... counterproductive to the women's revolution? She can literally have any nickname or moniker, and that's what she goes with?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fuck outta here. Not to say the medium is perfect and that the WWE gets things right even 10% of the time, ROH's dire output this weekend can further attest to that perfectly.

But watching Kofi/Okada/Ibushi/Becky win live this weekend, and being invested/aware of their respective characters/personal arcs was as legit fucking good as any storytelling you'll find anywhere, period. Wrestling at its best is fucking fantastic and diminishing it so readily because its scripted or whatever is fucking idiotic. It's performative art.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Yeahhhh I never got it...I thought it was weird and really against the grain for the first WM Women's Main Event to be won by "The Man"....
Like, I get the Instagram post--she chose the name for the lulz and to upset the MRA. Which is great, I'm down with pissing those clowns off. But it still just doesn't seem flattering to the women's division.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I want to like wrestling but the overall daytime soap mixed with the fakeness is really bad. The acting is even worse. I don't know anyone who watches it anymore. I think all my friends just know of the big names like The Rock because our parents watched RAW or whatever when we were kids. Wrestling would probably fare better as a TV show.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Problem with WWE is the lack of creativity and poorly told stories and matches that generally all follow the same predictable formula and story with little variation that doesn't actually matter with a commentary team more interested in advertising something else and pushing the brand instead of actively working to enhance whatever story is supposed to be told in the ring while taking ques from the senile old man in the back. NXT is generally much better.

Pro-wrestling and MMA share their roots in the old, true carny days of catch wrestlers going around stretching unsuspecting "tough guys" at carnivals in rigged contests. Just one end saw a better business opportunity in make a show of it and evolved one way while the other side eventually went the other way.

The other problem is that every main roster feud is like some blood feud where you want to end the other guy's career. It's exhausting. Wrestlers should just want to be the best and be recognized as the best. People were hotter for Gargano/Cole than any match at Mania because it was just two talented guys wanting to be champion and it had no real build.

Part of what makes the G1 tournament so great is that two random guys can fight and be motivated by something other than getting revenge or settling some score with their opponent. You build good wrestlers and the matches build themselves. In the WWE they have this "moment" or "payoff" they're looking for and they just try to fill in the blanks on the way and it ends up this disjointed contradicting mess.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping that every ratings drop makes it more and more likely that they will start to book the main roster like NXT.

Realistically, Vince is probably channeling his inner Principal Skinner and saying "No, it's the children who are wrong."

Maybe Fox management is the best hope.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping that every ratings drop makes it more and more likely that they will start to book the main roster like NXT.

Realistically, Vince is probably channeling his inner Principal Skinner and saying "No, it's the children who are wrong."

I think the best hope is that Vince shifts his focus to the XFL.
Thank god it's in decline. Dumbest shit on TV for decades (not including recent politics).
Oh look, another drive by shitposter.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, they're already pushing Vince to get out of TV-PG and to go back to PG-13. We can only hope.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
This was the first time I could remember that I didn't follow WrestleMania. I wouldn't have even noticed it happened if I didn't get a YouTube recommendation for Becky's post match interview.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've not watched WWE for about 20 years. I like pro wrestling but the whole soap opera nonsense doesn't appeal to me plus they work too light in the WWE. Work light and they ban all kinds of moves.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
But... "The Man" refers to being "the top one" in the business. I think it's great the Becky calls herself "The Man" cause it's not in the "men-man" sense, and it fucks some people off

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't any move which could see a wrestler dropped on their head/neck banned?

Brainbuster for example.
I saw at least 2 wwe brainbusters this past weekend.

I would argue that these sorts of moves shouldn't be as frequent as they are in NJPW, for instance. They have their time and place, but so many of these moves are transitional instead of the the finish. Takes away the impact.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw at least 2 wwe brainbusters this past weekend.

I would argue that these sorts of moves shouldn't be as frequent as they are in NJPW, for instance. They have their time and place, but so many of these moves are transitional instead of the the finish. Takes away the impact.

I don't know. I mean I could watch Misawa v Kawada from 94 and seeing them beat the shit out of each other and drop each other on there heads/necks multiple times is still just as enjoyable today.

I would say the frequency should me more determined by the magnitude of the actual bout.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to think if there is anything more pretentious than going into a professional wrestling thread with no interest in professional wrestling and replying to a 5 month old post to announce how what people enjoy should not be enjoyed by anyone over the age of 18 because you personally found a different media which fulfils your personal interests...

Nope... can't think of anything...

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Also: Isn't her calling herself "The Man" kind of... counterproductive to the women's revolution? She can literally have any nickname or moniker, and that's what she goes with?

Becky's rise to the top is associated with beating Charlotte Flair, daughter of Ric Flair, whose famous catchphrase was: "To be the Man You Gotta Beat the Man." It's a fuck you to the Flairs.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The sad thing is Becky's character is one that modern WWE would only allow a woman to have. They'd never allow a man to be booked that strongly, because men make more money and are they are desperate to not have any wrestler become bigger than "the brand" (aka they never want another CM Punk)

Hoping AEW makes women's wrestling a priority/more marketable. Given how Kenny feels about women's wrestling, and how progressive the AEW audience should be, I think there's hope.

As for the brainbusters, usually a move in WWE only gets banned after it is botched. The only exception I can think of is the vertebreaker, and that can be done safely. (Black Mephisto is a very safe version of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.