• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason there so few reviews

Forbes 5.25/10
It feels as if this was a rebuilding year for the WWE 2K franchise. While a few of the legacy strengths such as the creation suite are still strong, the most important part, the gameplay is in a bad place. The previous years' version of a game shouldn't play significantly better than the new title, but that's the case with WWE 2K20.

IGN 4.3
WWE 2K19 looked like it stopped the downward trend for the series, but WWE 2K20 doubles back, breaks its ankle, and tumbles down the slope. Fundamental parts that felt totally fine in WWE 2K19 now feel clumsy, the impressive roster of 238 superstars is all but meaningless when a majority of them look like they crawled out of a PS2-era wrestling game, and while 2K20's MyCareer mode offers a better wrestling story mode than most previous WWE 2K games, that's a low bar to clear – it's still saddled with bad progression and a plodding pace. This is a mess that 2K needs to clean up in a hurry.

culturedvultures 5/10
For that and a few of the other aforementioned reasons, I was hesitant to give WWE 2K20 a definitive score, but with all of the issues, I want to drive the point home that this needed more work before release. Indicative of the time we live in, this game will need more fixes and tweaking in the near future if the developers have the time or want to care about their fans. The #FixWWE2K20 hashtag is still going strong as I wrap this up, so people are paying attention and I'm interested to see how Visual Concepts will respond, being their first time in the driver's seat. It's a disjointed and unpolished experience that I can have a lot of fun with, but I may not uninstall WWE 2K19 just yet in case 2K20 stays like this.

wccftech 3/10
WWE 2K20 is a slap in the face. I'm sure plenty of passionate people worked on this game, but the fact that 2K Games was willing to release it in such a sorry state shows they believe WWE hardcores will blindly gobble up whatever they shovel at them. WWE 2K20 is ugly, broken, uninspired junk, written and presented with contempt for pro wrestling and its fans. I know buying the annual WWE game is a tradition for a lot of people, but I strongly urge you to reconsider this year. If 2K and Visual Concepts can't do better than this, it may be time to hang up their boots.

TrueGaming 3.0/10
This flawed game was released just for the sake of being released. You can still have some fun, though, by observing its bizarre glitches.
https://www.true-gaming.net/home/409311/

PC invasion 4/10
Bugs, glitches, missing features, sluggish gameplay, and unreliable systems -- it's a smorgasbord of problems that would lead anyone to conclude that WWE 2K20 should not have been released in this state. In modern times, WWE 2K20 is the jabroni of pro-wrestling games. It didn't just set the bar, it lowered the bar.

Cheat Code Central 5/10
With its revamped controls and tighter focus on growing your custom wrestlers in MyCareer, WWE 2K20 has a lot of good ideas propping it up. Unfortunately, the game is propped up on top of an uncharacteristically weak foundation. WWE 2K20 is an ugly video game, with gross-looking noodle hair, weird character faces, and PS2-looking NPCs. Add to that a lengthy MyCareer story fueled by corny and sloppy writing, and you get a game only the dedicated parts of the fanbase will love. At its core, there is still a great deal of fun in playing WWE2K20, but the technical issues, poor visuals, and bad writing make this year an easy one to skip, especially if you're still playing through WWE 2K19.

VGC 2/5
The thing's got more bugs than the insect house at London Zoo, and for that 2K and developer Visual Concepts should be raked across the coals: this is nothing like a refined product and while it would be unfair to lay the blame with the five separate QA teams listed in the game's credits, you do still wonder how all these glitches made it through to the final product.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/wwe2k20/

DualShockers 4/10
Much of the drawbacks of these modes could be overlooked if WWE 2K20 just worked as it was intended to. But the lack of polish and the early Xbox 360 era graphics just make its flaws more noticeable creating a truly bad experience. It is so disappointing. This iteration has all of the modes and features I would want from a WWE 2K game, but because of how poorly optimized it is, WWE 2K20 is the worst entry of the franchise. I understand that Yuke's leaving in the middle of the game's development would make creating this game a challenge, but to many, this was the entry to prove that Visual Concepts was being held back by the Japan-based studio.

I am still excited to see what WWE 2K21 will look like, especially since Visual Concepts will have the time to actually learn how this engine works and use it properly, but it really is a drag that the entry with some of the best features just plays like hot garbage. In a way, WWE 2K20 is a true representation of WWE's product as a whole right now, and that is just sad.

GamesRadar 2.5/5
Simultaneously playable and terrible, if Schrödinger made a wrestling game, this would be it. Beneath the mess, behind the glitches, there's a great sim desperately scrapping to get out. Patches may yet turn WWE 2K20 into a fully-formed, functioning whole. But can I recommend it in its current state? Like Kassius, it's a big noisy Ohno.

Comicbook.com 4/5
2k20 is packed with content and offers some of the best wrestling in the franchise. Throwing down in the ring has never felt better, and above all else makes you feel like the Superstars you know and love. 2K's Showcase mode feels like a love letter to Four Horsewomen fans, and you'll be more than entertained reliving some of those classic matches. That said, the MyPlayer mode needs another year of refinement before it can truly reach its high ambitions, and the online side of things needs to be fixed ASAP. For me, online play just isn't that important, and my experience has been relatively glitch-free outside of that, so if that describes you as well you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Puffball

Jan 16, 2018
Thank goodness I didn't open my package from amazon. Sent it back after all the videos I saw of the game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Deserves every low score it gets. Buggiest piece of shit I have ever played.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
GamesRadar 2.5/5
Simultaneously playable and terrible, if Schrödinger made a wrestling game, this would be it. Beneath the mess, behind the glitches, there's a great sim desperately scrapping to get out. Patches may yet turn WWE 2K20 into a fully-formed, functioning whole. But can I recommend it in its current state? Like Kassius, it's a big noisy Ohno.

ComicBook.com 4/5
is packed with content and offers some of the best wrestling in the franchise. Throwing down in the ring has never felt better, and above all else makes you feel like the Superstars you know and love. 2K's Showcase mode feels like a love letter to Four Horsewomen fans, and you'll be more than entertained reliving some of those classic matches. That said, the MyPlayer mode needs another year of refinement before it can truly reach its high ambitions, and the online side of things needs to be fixed ASAP. For me, online play just isn't that important, and my experience has been relatively glitch-free outside of that, so if that describes you as well you won't be disappointed.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Man. I feel sorry for wrestling fans who were really looking forward to this

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The review thread we've all been waiting for, somewhere (presumably in japan) yukes are laughing

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I expected it to not be great but damn

XzHhzy.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How can you give the game a 5? it has multiple repeatable bugs. 5 should be "the game works but it isn't fun"

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Nobody that I know got advance code for this. I half expected a 'whoops, somehow we uploaded the wrong file and that's a weeks old build' press release to come out.

How can you give the game a 5? it has multiple repeatable bugs. 5 should be "the game works but it isn't fun"

I can kind of see it if the bugs make for hilarious results... "this game is broken, but holy shit is it broken in a really fun way."

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There are very few reviews because the game was sent to the press after its release date. 2K went out of its way to make sure reviews would be published after the game's release date (we were sent the Collector's Edition without the game disk a few days before the game's release). I haven't had time to write my review yet but it's not going to be pretty.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is sad when wrestling games from the previous generation look and play better than the newest release, 2K should be ashamed to put out such an inferior product.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
There are very few reviews because the game was sent to the press after its release date. 2K went out of its way to make sure reviews would be published after the game's release date (we were sent the Collector's Edition without the game disk a few days before the game's release). I haven't had time to write my review yet but it's not going to be pretty.

Nobody that I know got advance code for this. I half expected a 'whoops, somehow we uploaded the wrong file and that's a weeks old build' press release to come out.

I can kind of see it if the bugs make for hilarious results... "this game is broken, but holy shit is it broken in a really fun way."
Well that explains it lol. Pretty slimy how they did not sent you the actual game disc until later

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
State of games criticism: Barely functioning, horrible looking, worse than ever- playing trainwrecks still get 5/10s. Pathetic. Use the scale.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
State of games criticism: Barely functioning, horrible looking, worse than ever- playing trainwrecks still get 5/10s. Pathetic. Use the scale.

Everyone knows everything below an 8 is pure trash these days.

Video game review scores have been broken for so long.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and this game is $60 and loaded to the gills with micro transactions.....

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i'm willing to bet that the most clicked review in the comicbook.com one you marks

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Comicbook.com probably also thinks the Saudi Arabia shows are great events, and Raw and SmackDown are the best wrestling shows on TV.

Save us AEW

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does this sell outside the US? I don't really understand the appeal since wrestling is pretty much fake/acting (yeah I know they sometimes get injured), let alone play something that is fake.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
The fact that some of these headlines are making references to wrestlers/commentators who haven't been active in WWE in basically 20 years says a lot about WWE's ability to make actual stars these days.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I can't understand how it has gone from the masterpieces of the N64 era (especially in multiplayer) to this obscenity

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand how it has gone from the masterpieces of the N64 era (especially in multiplayer) to this obscenity

Yukes

I know Yukes wasn't around for this game but Yukes has been using a PS2 engine all the way till last year, this game looks like it was developed in 3 months and just shipped out

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit - that's gotta be one of the worst reviewed games of the gen. Impressive.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Yukes

I know Yukes wasn't around for this game but Yukes has been using a PS2 engine all the way till last year, this game looks like it was developed in 3 months and just shipped out
I dont blame yukes without the publishers say so or right holder or budget they cant just deviate from the requirements

From their statement tho it seems as if they tried