• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I remember back in the VGCW days that someone tried taking a look at the code (at least for the Royal Rumble mode) and yeah, it was basically held together by duct tape.

This was with WWE '13 and '14. Clearly it's gotten worse since then.

It's hard to verify the veracity of it, but someone commented on Kotaku's article on how broken the game is saying they had worked on the WWE games for THQ and they confirmed that the entire engine has been built on top of the original SD engine from back in the day and hasn't changed since the PS2 days. I mean, you could see it the recycled moves and such. Hell, there are STILL some of the same graphics in the CAW design section that were in SD:JBI. It's no coincidence that they've stayed. They're not nods to the past or anything.

It seems likely that when 2K took over, they really didn't have a lot of time to switch over and start to build a new engine. There was a rumor that 2K wanted to develop a new engine, but it seems to have been nothing but rumor now. That's why they retained Yuke's for so long. VisCon was only focused on scanning and punching up the presentation, and now the chickens have come home to roost, and they've shown that they weren't ready to take the reins. And the shit part is, as a wrestling and wrestling game fan, this series is probably never going to reach the potential that it should reach. Hopefully, AEW is definitely ready to strike with their own game soon, and they find someone, whether it be Syn Sophia or someone else, to pick up the reigns and make a truly fun game again.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'll fight you beef, in a 2K20 ring, I'll glitch you into the hell under the ring and take you to little people's court

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Because there's literally nothing else. Fire Pro Wrestling World had a good shot (and an NJPW tie-in to boot) but was WAY too expensive for the amount of content and had a stupid creation suite system.

Only one man can save us now.

Dj4seb6V4AAXaWh.jpg
Way to expensive?
It was $39 when it launched and offers far more than the others.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, even downloading caws doesn't work. Says I haven't got the DLC needed when I do.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
fPW is amazing, especially with the carlzilla mods

I just hate the striking

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
It's hard to verify the veracity of it, but someone commented on Kotaku's article on how broken the game is saying they had worked on the WWE games for THQ and they confirmed that the entire engine has been built on top of the original SD engine from back in the day and hasn't changed since the PS2 days. I mean, you could see it the recycled moves and such. Hell, there are STILL some of the same graphics in the CAW design section that were in SD:JBI. It's no coincidence that they've stayed. They're not nods to the past or anything.

It seems likely that when 2K took over, they really didn't have a lot of time to switch over and start to build a new engine. There was a rumor that 2K wanted to develop a new engine, but it seems to have been nothing but rumor now. That's why they retained Yuke's for so long. VisCon was only focused on scanning and punching up the presentation, and now the chickens have come home to roost, and they've shown that they weren't ready to take the reins. And the shit part is, as a wrestling and wrestling game fan, this series is probably never going to reach the potential that it should reach. Hopefully, AEW is definitely ready to strike with their own game soon, and they find someone, whether it be Syn Sophia or someone else, to pick up the reigns and make a truly fun game again.

That is part of the problem, is that they should have worked out a deal with Yukes to use the 2K19 engine/assets for one more year and screw all of this showcase and Bump in the Night crap this year. They should have just gave us cheap DLC to update the game menus and add any new characters to the game. I would have been satisifed if they charged us $20-30 to add in new arenas, wrestlers, etc. to 2K19 so they can build a new game for 2K20. While doing something as trvial as this, they could have been building a whole new engine for 2K21 instead of this frankenstein/duct taped engine they are using. Even worse to add on top of it is the amount of Legends that are no longer in the game and even less arenas, and what in the world did they do to both Nitro and Halloween Havoc, it's like a layer of vasoline was plastered on the screen with the filtering they used it looks bad.

My issue with the game this year is that none of the CAW stuff works at all. I keep getting infinite loading screens, then we don't even have Create A Title which now explains why they took it out.

I'm quite pissed too because I bought the digital deluxe version for almost $100, yes stupid me, even reading and watching previews the last few weeks where things just didn't look right. I always buy these WWE games like a fool year in year out, like Madden. I've been in contact with Xbox support, they denied me once of a refund but I am fighting back with them to get me a refund. It's not fair we pay full price for a broken game. I'd rather wait at this point a few months till they get things sorted out and even then I'd wait for a sale. I can go back to 2K19 where I have a whole shit ton of created content that can get me by.

At one time 2K and Visual Concepts used to be the underdog publisher/developer that we all rooted for from back in the Dreamcast games, but have turned into such a scumbag company.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
That is part of the problem, is that they should have worked out a deal with Yukes to use the 2K19 engine/assets for one more year and screw all of this showcase and Bump in the Night crap this year. They should have just gave us cheap DLC to update the game menus and add any new characters to the game. I would have been satisifed if they charged us $20-30 to add in new arenas, wrestlers, etc. to 2K19 so they can build a new game for 2K20. While doing something as trvial as this, they could have been building a whole new engine for 2K21 instead of this frankenstein/duct taped engine they are using. Even worse to add on top of it is the amount of Legends that are no longer in the game and even less arenas, and what in the world did they do to both Nitro and Halloween Havoc, it's like a layer of vasoline was plastered on the screen with the filtering they used it looks bad.

My issue with the game this year is that none of the CAW stuff works at all. I keep getting infinite loading screens, then we don't even have Create A Title which now explains why they took it out.

I'm quite pissed too because I bought the digital deluxe version for almost $100, yes stupid me, even reading and watching previews the last few weeks where things just didn't look right. I always buy these WWE games like a fool year in year out, like Madden. I've been in contact with Xbox support, they denied me once of a refund but I am fighting back with them to get me a refund. It's not fair we pay full price for a broken game. I'd rather wait at this point a few months till they get things sorted out and even then I'd wait for a sale. I can go back to 2K19 where I have a whole shit ton of created content that can get me by.

At one time 2K and Visual Concepts used to be the underdog publisher/developer that we all rooted for from back in the Dreamcast games, but have turned into such a scumbag company.
2k, for a good while now, has been fiercely competing for the most shameful and piece of scum dev in the industry. And let's not throw all the blame on 2k, let's not forget their parent company Take Two, who are arguably more responsible.

100?! I figured the deluxe would be $80, but I'm not surprised nonetheless. Hope your given a refund, as this shit shouldnt even be allowed on the PlayStation and Xbox storefronts. Where's the quality control?

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
2k, for a good while now, has been fiercely competing for the most shameful and piece of scum dev in the industry. And let's not throw all the blame on 2k, let's not forget their parent company Take Two, who are arguably more responsible.

100?! I figured the deluxe would be $80, but I'm not surprised nonetheless. Hope your given a refund, as this shit shouldnt even be allowed on the PlayStation and Xbox storefronts. Where's the quality control?

Oh yes, I did forget about Take Two.

They should take this off of the shelves and digital store fronts till they fix the problems. The game should have been delayed till the new year if this was going to be the mess that they released.

The digital deluxe is $89.99 and with tax it came close to $100.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Early last gen/late 6th gen is rude to the games that came out back then. The SvR games were really good for what they were (SvR 2006 and DoR/DoR 2 are the best WWE games ever made).

This is some straight up buggy shit that wouldn't have looked out of place on the N64 (though again, the games back then actually ran too, even if they were full of bugs)

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to get an old copy of 2k19?

Is the creation download suite still up? Love the idea of downloading some AEW characters