• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Hey Era,

so I finally decided to play Jade Empire and oh my god why didn't anyone tell me how good this game is!? Not quite done yet but I'm pretty far in and enjoying the heck of it. Kinda jank but it's fine.

It got me wondering though - are there other games like it? I do like me some wuxia (which is basically kung fu action fantasy) but in gaming it seems to be mostly mmos(?) Mortal Kombat and dynasty warriors come close I guess but they don't scratch the same itch.

What am I missing? Am I missing anything? Here's a cool gif:
tumblr_pdzasuBoHY1rmrpdmo3_400.gifv

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Gujian 3 is pretty good:
store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

Gujian 3 is a mass 3D single-person RPG developed by Aurogon Info & Tech (Shanghai), a subsidiary of Wangyuan Shengtang. As the latest hit of the Gujian series, it boasts more free and smooth combat experience with its full real-time combat system. This generation expands the world of Gujian...

It's an action RPG with a fun combat system. It's also in english.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as far as i'm concerned jade empire isn't a "wuxia game"? in modern genre terminology

it's just a western rpg with dynastic chinese/martial arts slopped on top (not that that's a bad thing, loved the game)

OP
OP
tokubek

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Yes! :)
Wow I did see this at one point (I think maybe on youtube?) I still have my ps2, is it worth buying?
Gujian 3 is pretty good:
store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

Gujian 3 is a mass 3D single-person RPG developed by Aurogon Info & Tech (Shanghai), a subsidiary of Wangyuan Shengtang. As the latest hit of the Gujian series, it boasts more free and smooth combat experience with its full real-time combat system. This generation expands the world of Gujian...

This looks gorgeous o.o thank you!

OP
OP
tokubek

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
as far as i'm concerned jade empire isn't a "wuxia game"? in modern genre terminology

it's just a western rpg with dynastic chinese/martial arts slopped on top (not that that's a bad thing, loved the game)
Hmmm you are quite right. I feel like wuxia can be defined very broadly - in this case it's just a simple description for the things I'm looking for.
I didn't know a licensed game existed (though I shouldn't be surprised). It looks... alright?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
came in to recommend bujingai as well; it's not perfect but it's one of those great 7/10 PS2 games i had a great time with after finding it buried in the used bin at the game store.

the matrix: path of neo is not quite what you're looking for, but it's obviously pulling from similar sources of inspiration and is another fun quirky game

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm you are quite right. I feel like wuxia can be defined very broadly - just a simple description for the things I'm looking for.

Gujian and a lot of the chinese games on steam (that are reasonably if not remarkably translated) will definitely scratch the itch if you're looking for that general vibe. just throwing out the caveat you'll get nothing like jade empire with gameplay

impressive as most of those games are without an AAA budget they're by "our" standard 'budget' games so... an acquired taste

playing gujian 3 right now, fun but not something i'd recommend to everybody left and right

Dec 14, 2017
I never played it myself, but I remember one of my friends had Kingdom of Paradise, on PSP i believe, and it was basically a wuxia rpg.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Tale of Wuxia
Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel
The Scroll of Taiwu
The Gate of Firmament

I played them all and they are top-notch role playing games, not just good wuxia games.

OP
OP
tokubek

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Gujian and a lot of the chinese games on steam (that are reasonably if not remarkably translated) will definitely scratch the itch if you're looking for that general vibe. just throwing out the caveat you'll get nothing like jade empire with gameplay

impressive as most of those games are without an AAA budget they're by "our" standard 'budget' games so... an acquired taste

playing gujian 3 right now, fun but not something i'd recommend to everybody left and right
Thank you for your insights. I think I will give Gujian 3 a try after I finish Jade Empire. Looking through steam never crossed my mind for some reason but I also primarily play on console.
I never played it myself, but I remember one of my friends had Kingdom of Paradise, on PSP i believe, and it was basically a wuxia rpg.
Oh this one is called "Key of Heaven" here in europe. I also had a friend who played it on his psp though I didn't know it is wuxia themed.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i dont know if this is still a thing, but awhile ago (maybe during an E3? or a TGS?) there was this interesting like bunch of Chinese game trailers, among which was super rad looking wuxia game. i am drawing a total blank here and a Youtube/Google search brought no good results, so i guess i really didnt help at all, did i?

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
i dont know if this is still a thing, but awhile ago (maybe during an E3? or a TGS?) there was this interesting like bunch of Chinese game trailers, among which was super rad looking wuxia game. i am drawing a total blank here and a Youtube/Google search brought no good results, so i guess i really didnt help at all, did i?
Are you thinking about Faith of Danschant. I played it, but it has no English translation.

Or maybe ProjectX?

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
But you gave it your best so thank you :* maybe you'll remember it. In the meantime I shall investigate.
Are you thinking about Faith of Danschant. I played it, but it has no English translation.

Or maybe ProjectX?

good news! i am about 99% sure it was Project X haha. i remember there being a bunch of different games they were showing off, but the one in the clip that Zaber provided is absolutely the one i was thinking about. thanks!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean sleeping dogs/ shenmu don't really feature fantasy but...plenty of Kung Fu

Also I'm not sure if this was localized but features lots of Chinese myths etc
monkey-king-hero-is-back-605207.1.jpg

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Gujian 3 is pretty good:
store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

I second this, great game.
fantastic art direction too. Couple screenshots I took:

TRZMnLe.jpg

GFW95uQ.jpg

DL1QtKt.jpg

Ch8G224.jpg

OP
OP
tokubek

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
good news! i am about 99% sure it was Project X haha. i remember there being a bunch of different games they were showing off, but the one in the clip that Zaber provided is absolutely the one i was thinking about. thanks!
It definitely looks promising! :D
I mean sleeping dogs/ shenmu don't really feature fantasy but...plenty of Kung Fu

Also I'm not sure if this was localized but features lots of Chinese myths etc
monkey-king-hero-is-back-605207.1.jpg
I love Sleeping Dogs and Shenmue (I want to play 3 at some point). Without looking into Monkey King I'm reminded of Unruly Heroes. Will check it out.
I second this, great game.
fantastic art direction too. Couple screenshots I took:

TRZMnLe.jpg

GFW95uQ.jpg

DL1QtKt.jpg

Ch8G224.jpg
Nice shots! I picked it up on steam and looking forward to playing it myself.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Gujian 3 is pretty good:
store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

Great game

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom of Paradise in PSP
102529-kingdom-of-paradise-psp-front-cover.jpg

It's a pretty neat ARPG that had you travelling to different regions learning different schools of Martial Arts that you could then freely switch between mid combo.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Not really Wuxia, but the Xuanyuan Sword series is also on Steam, at least parts:

And the next one also comes out this year in english, which seems to be more souls like:

The other Xuan Yuan sword games are also on Steam, but only in Chinese.

Oct 28, 2017
Tale of Wuxia
Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel
The Scroll of Taiwu
The Gate of Firmament

I played them all and they are top-notch role playing games, not just good wuxia games.

Tales of Wuxia are amazing epic length isometric RPGs that wholesale lifts techniques from Wuxia novels but have bad translations. The first game is literally worse than google translate, while the second is about Google translate level. I still loved then regardless they are very deep games but consider the warning.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yes Bujingai is very worth buying it. I found it last year for 20 bucks on Amazon, and they sent me a nearly mint version of the game.