• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
OBVIOUS SPOILERS BELOW

Are you serious!??? Really!?? That's it?!?!

What the fuck was Dougie? Did Cooper have him made intentionally before he went into the Black Lodge?

How the fuck did Diane come back? Did the atom bomb create Judy and the ashmen? Why? What happened to the old universe/timeline?

What the fuck is Sarah Palmer? Was Bob never a person before? Just an evil spirit?

What happens to Laura now? And Cooper? Are... They even the same people? Is this an alternate universe or.... Like a karmic rebirth... I just don't understand

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
This is something that was recently posted here that may help with understanding at least an interpretation of what twin peaks is.

Oct 25, 2017
You're not meant to understand. It's crafted to be ambiguous. It's left open for each viewer to come up with their own meaning.

Oct 25, 2017
OBVIOUS SPOILERS BELOW

What the fuck was Dougie? Did Cooper have him made intentionally before he went into the Black Lodge?

How the fuck did Diane come back? Did the atom bomb create Judy and the ashmen? Why? What happened to the old universe/timeline?

What the fuck is Sarah Palmer? Was Bob never a person before? Just an evil spirit?

What happens to Laura now? And Cooper? Are... They even the same people? Is this an alternate universe or.... Like a karmic rebirth... I just don't understand

I'll try to answer those in order for you.

Yes, for now.

Dougie was constructed so that the bad Cooper wouldn't get drawn back into the lodge when his time was up.

Good Cooper made another one out of love for his new family and in recognition of his time spent as Dougie.

The bomb allowed Judy into our world. The woodsmen are connected to her but aren't the same thing as Judy.

It's not clear what happened to the old timeline. The Mark Frost books have a few inconsistencies with the series that some have argued are a sign that Season 3 included changes to the timeline.

Sarah Palmer was a host to Judy. It's possible that she was always a host to Judy but it seems like this was only really asserted after the end of Season 2. Sarah Palmer was the girl in episode 8.

Bob was born from Judy. He probably had other hosts before Leland.

The last episode is... unclear. Some have interpreted it as a new timeline, others as a dream or a world constructed by Judy. I think any of those are a fair explanation since the series doesn't seem to stick too strictly to literal explanations for such things.

Last edited:

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I took the last episode as Cooper entering our (the viewers) reality. The home owner at the very end is the actual owner of that house. The drive they take is long and boring and without conversation, as drives usually are. The gas station was a real place. Coop now has more of an edge to him, rather than being the lovable, goofy guy from the show.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
DJ0D5ZyXkAAu4VY.jpg

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
OBVIOUS SPOILERS BELOW

Cooper fucked up by thinking he could alter time. That's basically the point.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "WTF?" is the appropriate takeaway to any viewing of Twin Peaks.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I took the last episode as Cooper entering our (the viewers) reality. The home owner at the very end is the actual owner of that house. The drive they take is long and boring and without conversation, as drives usually are. The gas station was a real place. Coop now has more of an edge to him, rather than being the lovable, goofy guy from the show.
Coop took all the warmth and joy in himself to create Dougie 2.0.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that was recently posted here that may help with understanding at least an interpretation of what twin peaks is.

The internet was such a terrible mistake.

The last episode ends in the fictional town of Twin Peaks. The RR Diner isn't a real place, Twede's Cafe is. The home owner plays a named fictional character.
Sure, the finale feels more grounded, but it's not our reality.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was pretty straightforward... for Lynch/TP standards

obviously wtf at a surface level and some things will never make sense even if you could get a doctorate in Twin Peaks theory. but a lot of "answers" are there, and i'd do a point by point but head canon comes into play with every 'theory' so it's kind of pointless

'worst' thing about season 3 is all the useless plot threads it throws out there, still not sure what/if anything those entail but yeah it doesn't help

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it yesterday after binge watching s1-s3 for the first time, and I didn't really like s3. Felt way too long (Coop as Dougie got old really fast), went in a more horror direction than the previous seasons, lost most of its goofiness, didn't really answer any of the questions, instead it made new ones and it was just sad to see Cooper literally waste 25 years of his life to just come back, spend like a day as his normal self and then "erase" the fist two seasons while becoming a completely different character.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
I loved binging the first two seasons of Twin Peaks, then binging all of the Return a month later. Watching it all together in a concentrated period of time does really showcase the consistent evolution of the tone and themes throughout the series, and I think makes it a lot less jarring than watching the first two seasons, waiting years and years, and then watching the Return with a more set impression of what Twin Peaks is.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Always seemed to me that Coop (and now Laura) have to face the consequences of trying to change fate. Coop wanted to be the hero yet again, but even since Season 1 we've learned that he has complexes in this regard and genuinely feels as if he can "save" everyone. It's a very human thing to do, but it also gets us into trouble. In this instance, it has possibly altered time to the point that the OG series doesn't even "exist" in this world, or they are trapped in another reality or dream. We don't really know yet.

OP
OP
DiK4

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Waking up this morning I am still flabbergasted at the ending. Thanks all trying to help me make sense of it. I get Lynch doesn't like to tie all his threads nice and tidy.

I was wondering if any Twin Peaks fans have played Death Stranding? Thoughts? Was thinking of May giving it a shot due to its strangeness.

May 24, 2019
Waking up this morning I am still flabbergasted at the ending. Thanks all trying to help me make sense of it. I get Lynch doesn't like to tie all his threads nice and tidy.

I was wondering if any Twin Peaks fans have played Death Stranding? Thoughts? Was thinking of May giving it a shot due to its strangeness.

I'm loving DS, but I'm not really getting Lynch vibes.