• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
10 hours for the first playthrough.

8-9 hours for the first Nightmare playthrough.

7-9 hours for a playthrough w/restrictions (no crafting, self-ban on shards I relied too much on during previous playthroughs, etc).

And so on and so forth. I'm okay with this news, because if Bloodstained captures my heart, I'm going to spend a lot more than one playthrough on it.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
This is why a lot of modern single player games are awful, people judging their quality strictly by hours forced to play to complete.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck kind of thread is this? lol. 10 hours is perfect and a lot of content.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Good. Igavania's don't need to be 30 Hour behemoths, 10-15hrs for a basic playthrough is the sweet spot, 20+hr playthroughs are for the more completionist styles, and even then that is a bit much. If the base play time average was any higher doing a completionist run would be an absolute nightmare.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dOJs5hS.png

bqfyxO7.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great! There are very few long games that are able to hold my interest throughout. And, like others said, Symphony wasn't long either.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the Castlevania games are only around 10 hours. Even Symphony only took around 15 hours to complete both castles. Sounds about right to me.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda close to a standard playthroug of sotn for me unless I spend a lot of time farming heaven swords and crissengims.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
SOTN isn't much more than 4-5 hours per castle, especially for more experienced Metroidvania players.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I probably played SOTN for a long ass time before I was done with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to 50 hours or more. Especially if you count all the times playing with friends and taking them through the beginning to show them how awesome the game was. That game had me good I wanted to farm all of the rare items and try them out, to fill in all of the drop tables in the bestiary, I needed two of some of the really rare weapons like the rune blade that only drops from that damn dodo, I needed to level all of the familiars up to max, hell I left the game on overnight while my familiars killed zombies in the first hallways. So I don't doubt your time claim like everyone else.

But I also don't think it would have been accurate for Konami to claim SOTN had "50" hours of gameplay, since I beat the game many many times in those 50 hours. Hearing that Bloodstained is a "10" hour game doesn't bother me. Also I don't have 50 hours to put into any game these days anyway.

Edit: oh you said 50 hours for your first playthrough? Yeah you're remembering wrong.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Ten hours is significantly longer than most of these games. Most take 5 hours on a first play through. SOTN, all the 2d Metroids, Shadow Complex. Tbh Hollow Knight is the only one I can think of which is actually notably longer.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Remind me to never try to pathfind through a mystical castle with you OP unless I want to wander lost in circles for over two days straight!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
That's exactly the length of the DS games and slightly more than the lenght of SotN if you don't do a completionist run. So it's perfect for the kind of game it is.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anything past 13 hours for SoTN means you're grinding for items or attempting to max out your stats. I assume it'll be the same for RoTN.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Igavanias have never been super duper long.

Sounds about normal. I'm sure there'll be more if you go try to 100% and the bonus modes.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
By Howlongtobeat:

Symphony Of The Night: Main Story: 8½h, Completionist 17h.
Circle Of The Moon: Main Story 10h, Completionist 18h.
Harmony Of Dissonance: Main Story 8h, Completionist 13½h.
Aria Of Sorrow: Main Story 7h, Completionist 14½h.
Dawn Of Sorrow: Main Story 10h, Completionist 25h.
Portrait Of Ruin: Main Story 10h, Completionist 22h.
Order Of Ecclesia: Main Story 11h, Completionist 22½h.
Harmony Of Despair: Main Story 10½h, Completionist 23h.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
10 hours sounds good to me, there are also more modes to discover. The value should be nice in Bloodstained. SotN wasn't that long only when you were going for all items and everything else.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
After a busy and crazy work day, I just wanted to thank OP for giving me something to read on my commute home that put a smile on my face.

That length sounds about right, especially if you can replay and experiment with different systems etc.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right? I wouldn't want these type of games to be much longer anyway.

These games tend to be very dense in nature; you do a lot of things in a short amount of time. I remember South Park Stcik of Truth. That game was about 12 hours to finish and do most side-quests. That sounds short, but the game is so densely packed and well-paced that it feels like a full, complete game. It didn't need to be any longer. Old Zelda's were the same. LttP is a 15 hour game or something, but do you ever hear people complain it's too short or has too little to do?

I love games that have no fat, it makes them very replayable. I love the Xenoblade series, but if I think back to the many many hours I spent doing menial tasks and pointless nonsense (fucking Mercenaries) I shudder to think about a replay. South Park? Sure I might give it another go sometime, you can finish it in a few days, no fat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.