• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I am all for Nintendo using their IPs to collaborate with third parties and get exclusives. In fact I think they should be doing more of it. Now doing it with tencent... ehh... I guess I'll keep an open mind. If they deliver and get consoles sold in China that would be even better for Nintendo's relationships with other third parties

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"Nice of Tencent to invite us over for a picnic, eh Luigi?"

giphy.gif

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are they trying to copy Nintendos way in making characters and gameplay? Do they plan on making their own brand of characters that rival Nintendo?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the coolest bit of news here is the quote about Nintendo trying to cater to women or broader demographics. It is increasingly evident that Sony and Microsoft could care less about going for that market.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's more like they wanna use Nintendo characters to make their own -console- games to break into the US more.
Ahh I see, well Nintendo would never let that happen unless they strike some sort of deal.

If anything Nintendo would Port the mobile games or Nvidia ports over to Tencent console/service.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Tencent think they can take Nintendo characters and put them on PlayStation?
Why are people here saying this? Nothing in the article implies they think they can multiplat Nintendo characters. By making games with Nintendo characters for console I think the logical assumption is that they want to make a few Switch games.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only that but "only in 2-3 mobile offerings". They are certainly not innocent in phone gaming but on a general level, that statement is true

Yup. They're one of the only true mega corporations left that aren't greedy monsters when it comes to completely rinsing their customers of cash in a host of gross ways.

They're obviously a business at the end of the day and want to make boat loads of cash but they subscribe to a model which means they get customers for a lifetime rather than burning them for a lot of cash upfront and only having them for a few years.

This probably isn't as scary as it sounds. We all know Nintendo are incredibly smart and careful when it comes to their IP and especially their long term reputation.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people here saying this? Nothing in the article implies they think they can multiplat Nintendo characters. By making games with Nintendo characters for console I think the logical assumption is that they want to make a few Switch games.

Not sure how that would help Tencent break into Western console markets though.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They want to learn how to develop console games and become popular in the west. Nintendo knows how to make console games and is popular in the west.

I personally don't care for it, but doesn't seem too weird imo.

If the idea is for Tencent to develop games together with Nintendo and then use that knowledge to make their own games for the West... I guess we'll see. Not feeling super optimistic about this partnership.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
They want to learn how to develop console games and become popular in the west. Nintendo knows how to make console games and is popular in the west.

I personally don't care for it, but doesn't seem too weird imo.

This is what I thought when I read the article, only to be confused by all the people in the thread who seem to think otherwise. Am I missing something?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
great now make a new style savvy already
and for the love of god just keep the Japanese artwork. we like cute things too
might as well just refresh the brand as girls mode at this point since theres so much going on in the games

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
great now make a new style savvy already
and for the love of god just keep the Japanese artwork. we like cute things too
might as well just refresh the brand as girls mode at this point since theres so much going on in the games

Syn Sophia has made games for Switch before, and Furukawa's mentioned that he wants to bring franchises that were on 3DS onto Switch, so I think it's a matter of when, not if.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is increasingly evident that Sony and Microsoft could care less about going for that market.

Hmm...I don't think that's true and I would not say that Nintendo is a champion in that department when they still insist on making Princess Peach a damsel in distress, it's disgusting how Luigi Mansion 3 brought her in the series just make her get kidnapped or Zelda not being playable in a main line Zelda game.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nonetheless, Nintendo sees some potential to expand its audience. Outside developers said they were asked by Nintendo to make games for young women, such as romance games, a genre with passionate fans including in China.

"Women are becoming a driving force behind the growth of the gaming market," said Daniel Ahmad, an analyst at Niko Partners, an Asia-focused games analytics company. "Chinese developers are not only shifting to create games aimed at female players, they are also tailoring existing games to better appeal to them."
We all know what this means... iCarly HD Remaster this is your time to shine!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will give ten cent second rate table scraps like the Mario kart mobile game. There is no way a studio with no proven track record in quality AAA games is getting a chance to make switch games with their established IP.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Selling a few million units in China is certainly better than nothing, but it sounds so...meh.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Go away, Tencent. We don't want your egregious monetization everywhere. It's already bad enough without you.