• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This is expected and already said to be the intention by Phil. It's Sony PR responding because everyone was on their back. They already went through this with Zenimax.

ITT: Some are really reaching. Some are high on copium. Some are downright shameful.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Is the implication here supposed to be that there's a contract ensuring it remains multiplatform? Or are these two separate thoughts?

If the latter, it seems strange of Sony to come out and say "we expect them to ensure Activision games remain multiplatform". The contractual agreements part is just a given, as it was with Zenimax.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is the implication here supposed to be that there's a contract ensuring it remains multiplatform? Or are these two separate thoughts?

If the latter, it seems strange of Sony to come out and say "we expect them to ensure Activision games remain multiplatform". The contractual agreements part is just a given, as it was with Zenimax.

I don't think there is any implication. I think they are giving as general and obvious a statement as possible in reaction to the buyout news, and I think in grand ResetEra fashion people are going to read way too much into it, create their own narratives and devolve any discussion about it into brain dead drive by shit posts.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is ridiculous. Like seriously, some of you have the worst takes. No one here knows what kind of contractual agreement was in place with Activision before the the MS purchase. Sony PR person said nothing wrong as they expect all contracts to be agreed upon. MS can't renege and that is what Sony is basing this on.

Sony knows future games may not come on PlayStation but again, contracts are in place from before and they can't be discarded as Sony would have the right to sue.

You say no one knows what contract are in place and then say Microsoft will have to honour those contracts… but if you don't know the nature of those agreements then by extension you don't know what would give either party the right to terminate them.

"We expect that Microsoft will abide by contractual agreements" is not written in quite the way that you're interpreting it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't think there is any implication. I think they are giving as general and obvious a statement as possible in reaction to the buyout news, and I think in grand ResetEra fashion people are going to read way too much into it, create their own narratives and devolve any discussion about it into brain dead drive by shit posts.

I mean, yeah. Drive-by console warrior bullshit is basically the free space on the ResetEra bingo card at this point lol.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Right? People willfully ignore that it's common journalistic practice to reach out for comment on these things...

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
CoD is probably not going to vanish from PS platforms anytime soon.

Sony probably has at least 2-4 years left on their marketing contract, and probably an option to extend the contract for a couple more years. And that's exactly what they'll probably do in the coming months. Extend it as long as possible.

I also don't expect Microsoft to want to loose 12+ million sales + MTX revenue every year after paying so much for Activision. I mean, we are not talking about a singleplayer RPG like Starfield that you release once in 5 years and tops out at 10 million copie sales on playstation over that whole timeframe.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
What? I honestly can't tell what some of you guys are even arguing lol.

Sony blandly assuming Activision will honour whatever contracts they signed pre-buyout is the opposite of a "big gulf", whatever that is. It's a simple and automatic thing to expect.

the fact that sony even needs to make this statement is because of fears of a gulf. We saw the value drop overnight. If it was simple and automatic why are people jumping ship already

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's gonna end up pushing Microsoft to make everything exclusive lmao
Nobody has to push MS into doing anything. This weird belief that poor old underdog Microsoft is only doing this because of Sony 'pushing them around' is nonsense.

i don't like reigniting console wars, but if Sony's big news is they're gonna force MS to follow contractual obligations, this is a gonna cause a big gulf.
Also, MS has a history of being cool with their stuff being on multiple platforms, I'm hoping if Sony acquires smaller devs like Capcom they'll do the same but i'm not necessarily sure that's guaranteed
You think that was being done out of some sense of being cool? Or for some altruistic reason? No, it's because they *had* to honor prior contracts.

Oct 27, 2017

It's a purposeful conflation to sate investors and ease uncertainty. Sony and Activision have (or at least had) a contract regarding the prioritisation of Call of Duty on Playstation; the precise content of what this contract consisted of is not publicly released.

This contract, as with almost all corporate contracts, likely runs for a set period of time/set number of releases. Typically, these type of contracts tend to run for 3 to 5 years and then be reviewed (to allow for renewal, cancellation, or changes; this benefits both companies).

This deal (and any other deals between Activision and Sony) will be upheld until they expire. This will happen in a way which is quite natural; acquisition talks have been on-going for the last year, it will take about 18 months for the acquisition to go through, and in-this time most 3 will have expire or be close to ending. At that point, the contracts/deals will be over/not renewed.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
All of you Guys screaming Xcloud.

Has anyone of you even tried It? The image quality is shit. It's okay for mobile, but nowhere near enough for a big TV screen.

Also good luck playing an Online shooter on the cloud.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they are going to lose revenue with Starfield and Elder Scrolls by not opening those up to the Playstation user base too, but we know they are willing to do that. It seems that MS isn't buying these publishers just to operate them as business as usual and rake in the publishing revenue. That much is clear. They are willing to eat a lot of these "losses" or redundancies in order to help fuel GamePass. Its not that uncommon with this type of business model. Netflix didn't fund The Irishman (when no other traditional studios would) because they thought it was a $200 million movie in the traditional sense. They did it because being the home of the latest Martin Scorsese movie raises their profile and gives them a level of prestige and credibility in the film world, and possibly attracts other film makers and creators to their platform. All of this is in the name of getting as many people as possible to continue giving them $10 or $15 or whatever a month. Thats the end goal. Microsoft is very likely willing to eat whatever YOY losses for a brand like CoD when it goes from being on Playstation to no longer being on Playstation in order to push GamePass.
This. Microsoft wants people in their ecosystem buying games, DLC, and everything else. People trying to rationalize Microsoft still making games for PS after the deal closes just need to look towards streaming. You won't see Squid Games on Prime, The Witcher on Peacock, or Star Trek: Discovery on Hulu. The reason why is because those services want you on their platform watching their content. They don't give a shit about sharing what they own.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Not really sure there is any implication, They likely just released a statement to address the situation. No one knows (outside of the people with the deals/contracts)

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This statement form them makes no sense. Of course MS and A/B will honour contracts. Maybe this is sort of a statement for the market as a whole, so that it doesn't have investors freaking out about the short term. Sony was already spending big big money to lock down exclusives, and those deals were getting longer and longer (Forspoken 2 year exclusivity). I'm sure there are more out there. If there were marketing deals agreed upon for 2 years or more, perhaps that is what they are saying here.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Nobody has to push MS into doing anything. This weird belief that poor old underdog Microsoft is only doing this because of Sony 'pushing them around' is nonsense.

You think that was being done out of some sense of being cool? Or for some altruistic reason? No, it's because they *had* to honor prior contracts.

no it's business first and foremost, but using Ori as an example of MS leaning towards non-exclusivity as a business practice. Contracts will be honored, but what about moving forward when new ones are written up?

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some of the posts in this thread almost come off as being giddy that Sony will probably lose all of Activision's games.

It's very strange.

Fanboys through and through.

The level of discourse in this thread with "damage control" etc, etc, is so dumb. This forum is getting worse every day. Sony was asked about the developments and this what they said. Generally, contractual agreements are honoured and there are clearly things at play that all of us have no clue about. Obviously in the future once contracts are up, things will be different. But Sony never said anything about the out of contract future, because that is an unknown. All they know is that they expect, based on usual business practices, that Microsoft / Activision will honour existing contracts. And if they don't, Sony is probably going to get a nice payout from Microsoft breaking those contracts.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Duh doy ! Any games already in development or contracts already signed sure, after that it's going to be a big fuck you.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Man it's really simple existing deals honored and after that it's whatever the fuck Xbox wants period it's theirs! This statement is for the shareholders and stock price. Same as the Zenimax deal real simple.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of ascribing interpersonal drama to to a boring boilerplate statement designed to calm investors is tiring.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Here's alternative view; considering the weight Microsoft is putting behind the idea of a post console future I don't think it's inconceivable that they'll eventually begin to treat PlayStation as just another platform like Steam where they can sell their games as a third party publisher to complement their Gamepass business. It depends on just how interested they are in selling hardware.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Acquisitions really do bring out the dumbest of takes from either side. It's a standard boiler-plate statement that only Sony-MS-ABK know the extent of contractually. It's pretty clear from MS' own SEC filings on this acquisition that it pertains to ongoing, live-service titles i.e., Warzone, and likely OW2 (if they roll 2.0 as an update to OW1).

SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0000718877/000110465922005526/tm223212d10_defa14a.htm

Statement of reference: "We will honor all existing commitments post close. As with Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft, we have no intent to remove any content from platforms where it exists today."

Just like it has been with Minecraft, ESO etc. Outside of that, standalone new titles will assuredly be exclusive, unless there is another Deathloop/Ghostwire situation, which I can't imagine exists for those games in particular. Other than that, none of us pontificating have a damn clue.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
This is a brilliant move by Sony (if a little bit underhanded, I know :shockedface:)

MS/Activision legal can't say shit until the deal closes, and has to continue acting as if they are completely separate, but Sony has no such requirement. What Sony is effectively doing here is muddying the waters so anyone looking to buy a new console in the next ~year and a half won't make that call based on Activision games no longer being released on the PS platform.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I think it's safe to assume that MS will do everything they can to make sure that all existing contractual agreements are met. After that...LOL

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
My prediction is that COD single player will stay multi-platform until any existing marketing deals expire. I suppose it's possible that Activision could have signed up with Sony to market COD through PS5 for the entire generation. Regardless, I believe that Warzone stays multi-platform. Same for Overwatch, WOW, Hearthstone, Candy Crush (assuming console ports) and any other platform game. Also, I think MS will decide to copy the Halo Infinite model and make COD multiplayer free to play and that might stay on PlayStation.

I doubt that there are any such marketing deals for any of the Blizzard stuff or other Activision properties so those will no doubt be exclusive. Sony can kiss single player stuff like Diablo, Crash, and Spyro etc., goodbye.

Some of this is probably PR spin from Sony to try and keep their stock price up and keep consumers from jumping ship. Console gamers are notoriously fickle as is evidenced by the long history of flip-flopping generation leaders.

Last edited:

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
3 things going on here:

1) MS will clearly abide by all contracts, including keeping CoD on PS as long as they need to.

2) MS will have to have been privy to those contracts before buying Activision/Blizzard, so odds are they paid that much because they know that eventually (sooner rather than later)

3) The comment is intentionally ambiguous because Sony needs to save as much face as possible. They can't have their consumers (and potential future consumers) to think that CoD won't be on their system.

Blindman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All of you Guys screaming Xcloud.

Has anyone of you even tried It? The image quality is shit. It's okay for mobile, but nowhere near enough for a big TV screen.

Also good luck playing an Online shooter on the cloud.

Obviously you haven't had time to watch this. Right here is the MS vision of the future.

www.youtube.com

GeForce Now RTX 3080 Cloud Review vs xCloud/Stadia - The Best Streaming Solution?

Game streaming services have come on leaps and bounds since the early days of OnLive, Gaikai and even PlayStation Now. In this video, we take a look at the n...

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I mean, they do, if there are contracts in place, which there obviously are.

Contracts always have end dates, sure, but we don't know those dates (or even the contents) of the referenced contracts.
Sure but if ms wants, they can break the contracts and pay the fines if they feel the payoff is better than the fee's amount.

Plus if there are recurring contracts that guarantee distribution, at some point they will lapse. And MS can just not re up.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Do people expect 70B purchase to stay on your competitors platform ? They could of got cod on gamepass day 1 much cheaper.. they'll keep existing agreements but for new games it'll def be exclusive. I'll take a avatar bet if I'm wrong

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously you haven't had time to watch this. Right here is the MS vision of the future.

www.youtube.com

GeForce Now RTX 3080 Cloud Review vs xCloud/Stadia - The Best Streaming Solution?

Game streaming services have come on leaps and bounds since the early days of OnLive, Gaikai and even PlayStation Now. In this video, we take a look at the n...

I have. And the video clearly shows Xcloud lacking. It will take years for MS to catch up, clearly not during this Generation.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yeah. Of course the games that are signed to a contract to release on PlayStation will do so and anything beyond that is up in the air with Microsoft likely keeping them on Xbox/Windows.

This is for the crowd that thinks the next Call of Duty game will not release on PS despite the deal likely not going through before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a brilliant move by Sony (if a little bit underhanded, I know :shockedface:)

MS/Activision legal can't say shit until the deal closes, and has to continue acting as if they are completely separate, but Sony has no such requirement. What Sony is effectively doing here is muddying the waters so anyone looking to buy a new console in the next ~year and a half won't make that call based on Activision games no longer being released on the PS platform.

If I was buying exclusively for CoD, not sure I'd be willing to risk 500-700$ on some statement about honoring contracts. Unless you just wanted to stay in the PS ecosystem and you are taking a lot more meaning from that statement.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It's based on part behaviour with Bethesda. Elder Scrolls are huge sellers in their own right, I think your perspective on this isn't matching what we've seen, and to be frank, delusional.
We'll frankly I don't even have a strong perspective on this, as that would be the delusional thing to do with the info we have. It's very much ok to have a preference and tell people about it like you clearly do, but all I'm saying is that you hardly know what you're talking about because we just can't know this stuff.

"What we've seen" or know is pretty much nothing. The absolute sliver of info you have about Bethesda deal can't be compared to this in a straight manner. When you talk like you somehow know exactly how this will go with no other option isn't based on anything and brings nothing to the discussion.

It's a fact that this deals means A) more MS exclusives B) more content and day 1 releases for Game Pass. Not bad right? When A will happen for existing franchises is something you will not get an answer from this forum or anywhere else rn. For something like CoD it can happen for the next entry, but it might as well not turn exclusive for the duration of this gen because of marketing deals or other contractual obligations between Sony and A/B. CoD is a very different beast compared to Deathloop.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't think people are looking at the big picture here, it will take a long time for MS to "replace" all of the potential customers they'd lose by cutting off PS platforms completely from the big cash cow franchises. I don't mean a few years, I mean likely toward the end of the generation. It's not as easy as just switching marketing to Xbox and advertising those games there. Xbox players are already playing CoD, for example, but they'd need to sell into NEW players and new hardware enough to equal however many they're getting from the PS side.

Think about it this way, their board and shareholders are excited about this because they see the money A/B makes and they want that money coming into MS now. Anything Phil or whoever does that could reduce those numbers or slow them down is going to make them unhappy. "Hey guys how about we spend $70 bil on this company that rakes in cash? Cool? Yeah I'm excited too, so let's cut off the platform where we're making a huge chunk of all that revenue, and play catch up for the next handful of years trying to convince people to buy Xbox's and get into our ecosystem."

If the choice is between "making even more fucking money" and "let's make a lot less money for a while and later on potentially maybe make as much money as we could be making right now" what value does the latter option really have beyond just spiting the other platform?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm sure they'll abide by any of the contractual agreements but I doubt PS5 gets all Activision games day 1 moving forward.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017

www.youtube.com

Wow I had no idea about this Geforce cloud. It even has a free tier (with one hour session). That's perfect for just trying out a game. I might try it out for Rainbow Six Extraction.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Acquisitions really do bring out the dumbest of takes from either side. It's a standard boiler-plate statement that only Sony-MS-ABK know the extent of contractually. It's pretty clear from MS' own SEC filings on this acquisition that it pertains to ongoing, live-service titles i.e., Warzone, and likely OW2 (if they roll 2.0 as an update to OW1).

SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0000718877/000110465922005526/tm223212d10_defa14a.htm

Statement of reference: "We will honor all existing commitments post close. As with Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft, we have no intent to remove any content from platforms where it exists today."

Just like it has been with Minecraft, ESO etc. Outside of that, standalone new titles will assuredly be exclusive, unless there is another Deathloop/Ghostwire situation, which I can't imagine exists for those games in particular. Other than that, none of us pontificating have a damn clue.

It really doesn't get clearer than that. They are not pulling out anything that isn't there already. Any existing agreements will be honored just as MS said however long those agreements lsst.

After that it'll be the Zenimax template.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
all the money including the insane amounts from transactions skins and all that other shit goes directly to them and in a matter of time they have more people using microsoft or PC buying more and more and more stuff whether its game pass subs, other games, or in game purchases.

theyre pushing Sony down......not out because Sony runs their own brand. But Sony is playing a tough game here. Theyre getting squished.

People don't see how it makes sense just yet to not release games down the road on other formats. But they will.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
What's interesting to me is there is a very good chance that this chip shortage could stretch into 2023, so maybe MS and Sony won't be able to fully meet demand until 2024. Depending on the length on Sony's COD marketing deal with Activision, they may not have COD at all by the time the general public really starts buying consoles en masse. Also, the supply chain issues will keep the costs of these consoles high likely into 2024 or later unless someone decides to bite the bullet and take a loss. That makes the S even more attractive to casuals it it's the only place they can play the latest COD.

I remember reading something about the console makers lock in the prices of their chips with chip manufacturers years in advance of production. The issue is if Samsung or Apple want to put out a new phone, they will pay more for the silicon as they can charge more as they can just charge for their phones. Also, the telecoms will underwrite the additional cost by locking consumers into new contracts. This makes the chip manufacturers less willing to increase production for consoles because they are selling their wares for less than market value. Console manufacturers are stuck because there is a consumer expectation that prices will not exceed $500. Really crazy when you think about it.