• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
If they genuinely think Activision will stay multiplatform after the the existing contracts have been fulfilled and this isn't just a PR exercise they are deluded. It sucks, but MS saw the figures after the Bethesda purchase and thought it was better in the long-term to lose multiplatform sales in favour of pushing more hardware and Gamepass sales and it will be exactly the same here.

It'll be Warzone that still gets updated on PS and that's it. At best.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if for stuff like CoD MS will keep it multiplatform but with a sort of major value-add proposition for xbox owners. Earlier release, more maps, I dunno. Just wondering if they're thinking about the optics of taking something like CoD away from Playstation - hard to guess how successful that would be in getting PS owners outside the US to actually buy an xbox.

Dec 14, 2017
The second part of the statement makes sense, given the losses they had on their stock as the news broke. Seems like they want to calm down investors. I don't hope they actually believe Microsoft plans to provide ports of big first-party games going forward, beyond anything already contractually agreed to.
You know what would shore up Sony's stock price and reassure investors? I'll bet it's a plan B that isn't "everything's gonna stay the same forever because reasons."

Someone on a discord brought up HBO Max (or + or whatever it is now), and that might be a legit place for Sony in the future if it loses dominance, and I think that's not a bad place to be. HBO Max makes money and garners a ton of respect and praise.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'd bet my entire life savings and say that something like that is already stipulated in the purchase conditions with hefty penalties or even cancellation of the deal.

Even assuming it's not, why the hell would anyone at Activision piss off Microsoft by doing fresh deals with Sony; Microsoft is about to be their bosses!

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I don't understand how threads like these stay open and not get closed.
Almost every post here breaks down to 2 types.

1.Drive-by posts fueled by console war rhetoric and way of thinking
2.People complaining about those dry-by posts

We're in a phase now that console wars between the 3 big is only gonna get worse so
threads like these are eventually gonna get out of hand.

Is there a way to report he actual thread instead of a single post?
Because honestly I don't think there is a single good reason to keep this thing open...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would microsoft prevent sony from having cod? they'd lose sales of those games on playstation consoles.
They dont care about that. They're thinking about what it could do for Gamepass. That loss is just thought of as marketing, as Jeff Grubb put it .

Their plan likely doesn't include revenues from Sony for mainline cod. I think Warzone will remain multiplatform however, that game MTX is established, unlike new CoD entries.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They aren't going to say anything else, you know stocks and don't be negative in outlook. Of course they'll follow contracts but after who knows.

Still think COD will go the way of Minecraft.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Wow. When did Era turn into GAF? This thread is bringing out the worst in some members here.

This forum is real fucking cringe sometimes.

Thats a pretty specifically worded statement that if it came from Sony directly (which the WSJ claims) was likely vetted by legal and PR teams before being made. They didn't reference a contractual agreement to blow smoke, as doing so is investor fraud and one of the few white collar crimes actually enforced (because executives can lie to you and me but they sure as fuck can't lie to the investor class).

My guess is that the co-marketing deal is through the end of the generation or some similar term and Sony knows that between the 12-18 month review and approval process and the existing co-marketing deal that CoD being exclusive to Xbox isn't a PS5 problem, its a PS6 problem, i.e. half a decade down the road.

Potentially the same for Overwatch. Blizzard was selling franchise licenses to speculative owners and there is a high likelihood those speculators had contractual language ensuring a broad base for the IP. The market value of an e-sports franchise that isn't playable by the current market leader's audience isn't going to be of the same net value as it was when universally multi-platform.

Anti-trust isn't just about top line market share. A lot of older industries are regulated by regions, market segments, etc.. My company was denied purchase of a competing facility owned by the national market leader that runs entirely thanks to a cooperative deal we have in place, with 90% of its "product" being from our front line and into our end facilities because we were far and away the market leader in the county (not state, though we're that too, just not by as much) for those services.

If MS catches a savvy and progressive assessment team they could pretty easily make a worthwhile case that Microsoft adding Call of Duty and Overwatch to Halo, DOOM, and Gears would provide a significant market advantage in online/competitive shooter space specifically and in the FPS genre at large, both significant segments of the market.

Thats what anti-trust really amounts to. Does the team catching this at the FTC have the perspicacity to split these hairs, the desire to do so, and if so does the argument hold merit enough for a judge to agree.

If the FTC team on this decide to go after it they'd be able to make some real lop sided looking pie charts within specific segments of the VG industry. They probably won't as the FTC are largely a bunch of old heads who don't get IP power at all, but who knows, Biden's admin claims they're turning things around.

Depends on the terms. For something like Activision and CoD, where CoD is basically all they currently make under the main Activision banner and they have an extensive co-marketing deal Sony could pretty easily:
1. let MS violate the terms.
2. see a CoD release as an Xbox exclusive despite existing contract requirements being violated.
3. argue that damages caused irreparable harm to the Sony brand.
4. require that future CoD releases would only increase the harm and therefore a stay on all future CoD releases is required.
5. Literally make up a mythological number for damages that MS would then be obligated to pay.
6. MS can then either pay Sony billions and go back to honoring the contract or appeal/challenge repeatedly, likely ultimately still lose, and not get to make any money off CoD until its resolved.

We've had multi-billion dollar copyright infringement cases in recent history for the smartphone sector (Samsung caught quite a few specifically) over things with less demonstrable damage than pulling the #1 selling game off a platform despite a contract requiring the exact opposite.

But MS' executives would never intentionally violate a contract like that because while they wouldn't "go to jail" they would massively fuck up the operations of the trillion dollar company and a multi-billion dollar division within it that they've been entrusted with running.

And because they aren't absolute fucking morons.

This. Fin. Close the thread here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't these kind of contracts have cancellation clauses? If these agreements don't work for MS I'm pretty sure they would be glad to cancel them and pay Sony the specified compensation.
The clause wouldn't be something like if you get bought out you can just cancel the multi year contract that probably costs in the hundreds of millions for CoD.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I don't understand how threads like these stay open and not get closed.
Almost every post here breaks down to 2 types.

1.Drive-by posts fueled by console war rhetoric and way of thinking
2.People complaining about those dry-by posts

We're in a phase now that console wars between the 3 big is only gonna get worse so
threads like these are eventually gonna get out of hand.

Is there a way to report he actual thread instead of a single post?
Because honestly I don't think there is a single good reason to keep this thing open...
You're in for a rough year and a half. There will be multiple MS/Activision threads daily like this for the next 18 months.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty is the king on console but it would no longer be bullet proof with multiformat behind it. EA and Respawn could finally deliver the true COD killer if they wanted to now. The opposite happened when Microsoft tried to take Titanfall all for itself and thought that would settle the console war. RIP Titanfall.
70 billions dollars says they can afford to play the long game, let the Playstation CoD heads slowly migrate to Xbox over time. Unless Sony comes up with something to counter the leakage, MS will win this one out.

Titanfall was an unknown brand, CoD is a known quantity with millions of loyal players.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Good points, thanks for the education. Seriously, it's why I post here
I'm not a lawyer or anything, so its all just my own inference/read on the situation.

Though at the same time my company did close an acquisition in 2021 that resulted in me personally going from what would be the VG industry equivalent of "you current run these five studios, here's three more more" I will say that people on here are missing just how much of a lift this will be for MS.

They aren't breaking existing contracts or partnerships. Thats corpo suicide.

They're going to inherit these assets in 12-18 months after the current management teams spent that time doing fuck-all, shopping for beach houses, so its going to be a mess.

They're going to lose A LOT of talent in the intervening period due both due to the above and ABVI's ongoing bleed of talent continuing.

They will almost certainly get sued by someone claiming injury. My bet is that it'll be some Overwatch League owner now on tougher financial times claiming damage to their franchise or some bullshit, just trying to coax a settlement check. MS can pretty easily ensure all of these will be trivial suits, but they'll still have to shovel that shit.

And even then the reality here is that MS won't be able to integrate any major gains from this until near the end of this console cycle/at the start of the next. The existing contract here is secondary to the fact that it'll take MS a solid year or more to get shit sorted enough to then "pull" CoD off Playstation. At that point why do it before the end of this hardware cycle?

Which is why people need to stop seeing this as MS trying to "beat" Sony. MS isn't playing that game. They're trying to ensure GamePass becomes its own viable entity and is ready for when one of the other trillion dollar companies tries to insert themselves into the market more forcefully than their recent dabbling.

I'd speculate that we're more likely to see Microsoft and Sony agree on a universal hardware format akin to the DVD/Blu-Ray consortium deals of the past for the next cycle than Sony exiting the space any time soon.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Discussing why or why not Microsoft would keep the games multi platform
That's irrelevant. The statement is about pre-existing contracts that MS can do nothing about. Yet you've got people acting like Sony's making that up, like the post right above yours (or right below this one, great timing)
damn sony basically on their knees begging to Microsoft. never thought i'd see this
Like, call this fanboyism or not, I don't care. This post is stupid and the thread is full of posts like this.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
It's taken Sony 5 years to think about a competitor to Game Pass.

They haven't got 5 years to come up with a response to this, they need to act now. This response just says to me that they've been blindsided.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
More like this forum has way too many people like you who assume that people are fanboys with statements like "Phil still won't go for a drink with them". Discussing an argument from the perspective of Microsoft =/= supporting what they are doing. The exclusivity of AB games is coming eventually whether or not people want it to come. Discussing why or why not Microsoft would keep the games multi platform isn't the fanboyism you want it to be so you can mock others.

Bet you wish you'd seen the post just above yours before typing all of that out.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't seen Sony put out a statement showing them on their back foot like this ever. God if I were a fly on the wall at Sony or even Nintendo HQ right now.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder why so much snark towards a very clear statement. I can't read the whole article due to a pay wall, but it is not surprising Sony has deals concerning Activision games, and one would hardly expect such deals to be rescinded just because of the acquisition of the company.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Call of Duty becoming an Xbox exclusive, not with the incredible profits Warzone brings in. Giving Xbox users exclusive perks in that game? No doubt in my mind.

I feel just about everything else is fair game.

COD can become an Xbox exclusive without pulling Warzone from Playstation.
As much as they're intertwined, they're still separate games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Don't these kind of contracts have cancellation clauses? If these agreements don't work for MS I'm pretty sure they would be glad to cancel them and pay Sony the specified compensation.

Sure but such clauses are there as a last resort measure to avoid litigation, not as an easy way to circumvent the terms of the contract. So you have you have to pay a hefty sum.

As we have seen over and over again in the movie/tv industry it is easier to just honor the contracts. Something Microsoft has done so far as well and presumably will continue to do.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude, MS paid $70 billion for Activision. It would take literally ten years for the deal to just break even if business at Activision continued exactly the same as before this deal.

The only logical expectation is that they are going to use this to expand or penetrate into a new market. Otherwise, there would be no reason to do this deal.

And yes, there may be some drop in Activision revenue for a few years until either PS owners switch to Xbox/PC or Sony allows Game Pass.

If they just kept everything the same, their return on investment would be lower than an index fund.
We have been over this with Zenimax. No MS does not spend $9 billion and now $70 billion to keep games multiplatform. It's all about building portfolio and IPs for their service and what they percive as the future of gaming - Cloud with their Azure servers.

MS will keep releasing games until the deal closes and maybe short time after that for the already announced games but starting from 2024 it's going to way different story.
But I also think they bought Activision-Blizzard to deprieve the PS echosystem of their titles. I was just talking about the timeline, a timeline permitting to a Sony executive or Spencer himself to imply a soft transition, in a financial situation different than with a Strafield that can be immediately sold like an Xbox exclusive.

www.gamesradar.com

Microsoft Activision deal isn't meant to "pull communities away" from PlayStation, Phil Spencer says

If you play Call of Duty on PlayStation, this quote from the Xbox boss may be reassuring

Aloso a post of Doctor Avatar saying things without any manner or hypocrisy:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...ant-for-christmas-is-shu.525444/post-80550839

MS fans got nothing though. CoD would have released on Xbox, Diablo would have released on Xbox, Elder Scrolls 6 would have released on Xbox.

I guess you can argue they get those games on gamepass, but those were deals MS could have made far more cheaply than buying the studios. MS could have spent 1 billion dollars instead of 80 and had all those games day one on gamepass.

If having those games day one gamepass is the goal then MS paid about 80x more than they should have. Which is why it's obvious to anyone with even half a brain the real reason they spent all that money, to take those games away from PlayStation users. Pure and simple. Xbox hasn't become a better place to play games, they paid 80 billion dollars to make PlayStation a worse place to play games.

And again, that's the entire point of these purchases no matter what kind of BS Phil tries to tell you. MS couldn't beat Sony on a level playing field, they tried for 20 years and failed, so they brought a dump truck of money to un-level it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better make sure to sign as many agreements as they can before the deal closes.
Not going to work. Kotick is simply going look out for the best interest of this deal, he's not going to sign off anything that creates complexities for MS or the handover to MS. He knows he's leaving shortly and will not have to worry about upsetting Sony.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
I'm certain Sony's already contracted out a buttload of AB games for Spartacus for many years to come. Games from the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PS4 and PS5 gen. If there's a contract for it then Microsoft has to abide by the contract until whenever it expires.

Spartacus launches in a roughly a couple of months, any content deals would've been put into place months if not years ago.
Of course they're not going to take any pre-existing games off the system.

New games though? Unless they are contractually obliged to bring them, such as part of the marketing deal for COD, they're going to be exclusive.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
People here really arent trying one bit to disguise their fanboyism huh?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Platform Warring; Long History of Platform Warring
Of course they would honour existing agreements, but once those end….

It's kind of ironic this stuff coming from them, after how they bought so much timed and permanent exclusivity from Activision and Bungie, one month for Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, 1-2 years for some Destiny DLC.

It'd be good if Warzone content gets updated with a one year delay on PlayStation, show them what it means.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
But I also think they bought Activision-Blizzard to deprieve the PS echosystem of their titles. I was just talking about the timeline, a timeline permitting to a Sony executive or Spencer himself to imply a soft transition, in a financial situation different than with a Strafield that can be immediately sold like an Xbox exclusive.

www.gamesradar.com

Microsoft Activision deal isn't meant to "pull communities away" from PlayStation, Phil Spencer says

If you play Call of Duty on PlayStation, this quote from the Xbox boss may be reassuring

Aloso a post of Doctor Avatar saying things without any manner or hypocrisy:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...ant-for-christmas-is-shu.525444/post-80550839

I chuckle at that post of a level playing field.... It's never been a level playing field. Sony dominated the console market regardless what MS did and the one time MS did well they still got outsold by Sony in the end.

In what world was it ever a level playing field...

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is just Bethesda all over again, Microsoft will honour any contracts already in place but they will expire at some point or have terms in place which will bring them to an end in cases like this. Sony will largely be talking about existing games already on the platform rather than future games, Warzone for example will likely continue on the platforms it's on and won't just be removed from players (which wouldn't be a good look for MS either).

If everything plays out the same way as their last acquisition I think we'll start seeing more concrete exclusive to Xbox talk once the deal goes through.

Joo

May 25, 2018
They dont care about that. They're thinking about what it could do for Gamepass. That loss is just thought of as marketing, as Jeff Grubb put it .

Their plan likely doesn't include revenues from Sony for mainline cod. I think Warzone will remain multiplatform however, that game MTX is established, unlike new CoD entries.
This is still just pure conjecture. It's pretty much a given that Activision/Blizzard games won't all stay multiplatform forever as the price paid is just way too much for things to stay the same, but we especially don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes and what kind of contracts Activision has had in place.

I work in the field of M&A and it's quite likely that there's tons of hurdles and years of waiting ahead before existing A/B franchises can just simply become exclusive. It might as well be a PS6 problem for Sony, we don't know. The way you present things and how sure you seem to be is just kinda silly.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Sony said two things. One about contractual agreements which will obviously be honored like they were with Bethesda. The second about Activision games remaining multiplatform.

The first part is noncontroversial. It's the second part that is because anyone who pays attention to the industry knows that MS plans to make everything exclusive to Xbox and PC at the earliest date. Sony says they expect otherwise. I'm saying that I believe Sony doesn't really expect that and is just saying that to calm stockholders from selling.

Since no one can prove Sony wrong this isn't comparable to CDPR who told investors that their game was in a great state while they knew that it was unplayable on 2 out of 3 platforms. You can't be sued for having a bad prediction.

"I'm saying that I believe Sony doesn't really expect that and is just saying that to calm stockholders from selling."

Right and if that's true then they could literally be litigated for it.

You seem to have little to no knowledge on contract law so I'm just going to say "okay"

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care. And it's been hashed out on there 100 times already since the 2 days ago.

Don't give the telepaths on here, who apparently know more than Sony, Activision, and even probably Microsoft at this point, more opportunities to tell us exactly how it's going to go down.
Lots of takes on this board hurt my head. This week has been something special.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they would honour existing agreements, but once those end….

It's kind of ironic this stuff coming from them, after how they bought so much timed and permanent exclusivity from Activision and Bungie, one month for Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, 1-2 years for some Destiny DLC.

It'd be good if Warzone content gets updated with a one year delay on PlayStation, show them what it means.
Oh my fucking god the people in here.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
z4q05mdw8r171.gif

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The only possibly interesting thing to talk about here is speculating which games might have contracts in place.

The sentence from Sony can not be just broken into 2 parts and laugh at Sony for expecting all games to go multi-platform - they clearly don't. But also it's not really funny, the consolidation wars aren't good for anyone.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit. That's the way it happened with Bethesda as well. Don't do this to yourselves Sony fans. Acceptance.....look the word up and you'll feel a whole lot better

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017