• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
One way to address this crisis for upcoming prospects is to improve in vocational/trade schools as an alternative to university education. I believe that university education is not for everyone but they're entitled to an opportunity for an improved quality of life if they seek another avenue. The mentality that someone must graduate with a Bachelor's exclusively to improve their life is another symptom to this crisis.

Also cutting administrative bloat and other unnecessary glamorous aspects are other steps forward.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Tax credits typically aren't. They're an 'owed benefit', similar to refund where areas a deduction is like a discount.

What will be taxed is the student loan forgiveness. That will be taxed like additional income and will be owed according to the tax bracket it puts someone in.
True. That's what I meant by how the law might be structured. Like the law might be written that the amount isn't considered taxable income or something.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can't do this without fixing the underlying problem first. But besides that I'm all for it.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid off the rest of my loans this year.

Everyone should know what it feels like to not have this burden their lives any more.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd still owe if it was 50k forgiven but that would be a large chunk of it. Should be 100k though for all the people who pursued medical/law degrees.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Also any loan forgiveness without either 1) laws that limit tuition based on average of alumni salaries and/or a federal education institution to help alleviate college demand and compete in education deserts would fix the problem now, but it would be back in like 20 years.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
If student loans were cancelled I could actually save for retirement. Shit, I could actually think about retiring some day. The way things stand, I will die at work.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
General studies is banned.

I'd ban my art degree.
Eh, that gives legislators wayyyyy too much power to control the culture through education. Think about how much power legislators have wielded simply by defunding education, then think about what might happen if you instead give them the ability to institutionally delegitimize certain branches of education.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would my student loans be forgiven if I refinanced them before the forgiveness occurs?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm well on my way to repaying my loans and I'm still 1000% for this, even if it meant I don't get my money back. We badly need this for so many people stuck in lower paying jobs and hefty loans, our economy and the future of young people in the country would be more than enough to pass this.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So what happens in the future. Keep on forgiving 50,000 in debt? What makes it so the universities don't tack on an extra 50 grand to tuition?

You kind of have to fix what the money is spent on, I would think.

The system should at the very least support merit based 100% full ride scholarships.
The money can be found from somewhere. I was a Florida resident and got a 100% Bright Futures scholarship
to any in-state school, which was paid for by taxes earned from the Florida Lotto.

I believe they have made that program worse in general after I graduated though. I believe the requirements are higher.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time I've seen a politician advocating for a credit to those who already paid. That's the only way you'll get wide support so people don't feel like suckers for managing their debt.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
But this money is already accounted for when it comes to current spending right?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
$50,000 of forgiveness would basically pay off my student loans, hopefully this eventually happens.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
One of the most cited reasons for Millenials, and likely Gen Z, to not own a home is due to their student loans. Either they are paying too much into their loans per month to be able to afford monthly payments, or they have too much debt already and can't get a mortgage at any sort of a reasonable rate.

What do you think happens when $1,520,000,000,000 of student loan debt is forgiven? Suddenly, these people are house hunting. Loans from banks are dumped out like crazy onto people. Housing prices across the USA are likely to rise as suddenly everyone has an extra (effectively) $31,000 to their name.

This is the reason that I'm hesitant to dismissing all of that debt without something to help people that already paid down their loans. The idea in the OP (a $50,000 tax credit) is exactly what would need to happen to make this reasonable, in my eyes.

So, it's not unreasonable for people to be apprehensive about completely eliminating all student loans. There are ramifications, and that really, really would suck for people that just spent 5 years on rice and beans to pay down their debt quickly while their cohort made minimum payments - obviously, many people can't afford to make more than the minimum payments (or heck, any payments at all), but there are absolutely people that pay the minimum despite having the income to afford higher/faster payments.

If I'm missing something with my above concern regarding housing costs, please let me know.