• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Frankly if they made both the cheaper model and the replacement model (I still think the PRO is going to straight replace the current switch) look like this, nobody would question it.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Love the dock.
D8JvAoSXsAAnwvi.jpg:large

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I'm having a bit of difficulty believing they'd remove 3D rumble given that it'd make certain games like some party games in Mario Party unplayable. But I don't know Nintendo's history of making their old games unplayable with hardware updates, maybe I'm wrong and they've fucked over old software with new hardware before, but I doubt it.
No HD rumble because no joy con.
Bundle joy con with Mario party

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Did anyone see this? Some designer imagined a newer switch...
y0mz3wpgbv131.jpg

theres more colors and stuff
https:///industrial-designer-envisions-how-an-upgraded-nintendo-switch-could-look-like/
I. Want. It. Aaahgg. The true Vita successor.

I played some 3DS yesterday and I feel so ready for a Switch mini. I love my Switch but it's just too massive, heavy, and difficult to carry around compared to something like the 3DS.
I feel you. I'm switching between 2DS XL, Switch and PS4 atm and I just want a more handheld Switch to better compliment the stationary PS. The Switch form factor right now leaves a lot to be desired in comparison, at least for my liking. Though I feel like especially games with ambitious world building (BotW, XB2 e.g.) could suffer from a smaller form factor in terms of presentation / immersion... And those two are my favourites on the system so far.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
y0mz3wpgbv131.jpg

https:///industrial-designer-envisions-how-an-upgraded-nintendo-switch-could-look-like/
No thanks.
Really bad looking buttons, jack and airflow on the bottom, sd card slot on the left for some reason, worse ergonomically, glossy, no separate joycons...

Looks like this guy really liked the Vita and wants a bad copy.

BonneMort

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, I got a rare chance of getting a Switch in the next few days (a friend is bringing it from overseas since it's expensive here in my country), but all this talk about a pro revision is triggering my "obsolescence" fears.

Are the chances really that big of a switch revision and should I wait until a possible new window by the end of the year or should I just bite it and get a original Switch?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I got a rare chance of getting a Switch in the next few days (a friend is bringing it from overseas since it's expensive here in my country), but all this talk about a pro revision is triggering my "obsolescence" fears.

Are the chances really that big of a switch revision and should I wait until a possible new window by the end of the year or should I just bite it and get a original Switch?
the pro rumors went quiet. it's all about the switch lite right now, which is just a cheaper switch right now

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

It's honestly looking like next year at some point the Pro will happen and probably fall for the lite this year.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
y0mz3wpgbv131.jpg

Looks dumb so loads of people will go nuts for it and complain whatever Nintendo do isn't this.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like a pro revision is happening, but what that will actually look like and when are really up in the air. It's looking increasingly likely that it is not coming this year anyway.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
No HD rumble because no joy con.
Bundle joy con with Mario party
Makes no sense at all. They're not charging price-sensitive audiences the 100 euros that would cost that bundle, as well as needing the joy-cons for other games too. The audience that would benefit the most from a cheaper Switch is also the one that uses joy-cons the most. It looks so easy for us but it won't be for casuals and parents. I'd really love to see the face of some parents buying this supposedly joy-conless Switch alongside Animal Crossing, Mario Party and Labo for their kids on Xmas.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
looks nice, wish they would use the best in class NeoGeo Pocket micro controller thumbsticks

Oct 25, 2017
Makes no sense at all. They're not charging price-sensitive audiences the 100 euros that would cost that bundle, as well as needing the joy-cons for other games too. The audience that would benefit the most from a cheaper Switch is also the one that uses joy-cons the most. It looks so easy for us but it won't be for casuals and parents. I'd really love to see the face of some parents buying this supposedly joy-conless Switch alongside Animal Crossing, Mario Party and Labo for their kids on Xmas.
Mario party already had a joy con bundle.
The audience that wants the joy con can get the regular switch. The lite switch is for those that want the cheapest access to the switch's library

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question: what would be the method through which you sync other joy-con to a system that doesn't have removable joy con?

The mock-up we see above, for example, you could probably still dock that thing and play Mario Party with loose joy-con, right? Do they have a sync method that doesn't require slotting them in? Is that a function easy to add in a firmware update or can we already do that?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just speculating from WSJ rumor. They said as both as early as summer 2019 and if it's looking more like the lite will come first this year so it'd be a safe bet that the pro follows the next year at some point.

Who says they aren't both coming this year? Lite in Summer pro in Fall?

I still don't think the window is closed for the lite launching in June either but that's just me.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I just realised that if AMD moves heavily into the Smartphone/Mobile space, Nvidia will be forced to respond.
This is a good development for Tegra... probably, Jenson might just not care. However considering his Gigantic ego I would imagine he'll put more emphasis into mobile development again.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
...didn't say it was?
It's to release the cheapest unit for a mass audience. Not releasing it because of Mario Party doesn't make much sense.

It's for kids that want Pokémon but parents that don't want to spend $300
The people who want a cheaper Switch aren't you and I or any of the users in a videogames forum, who will buy the PS5 for 500 bucks and the Switch even if it was 400. They're parents, kids and casuals, those that buy Pokemon but also those that Nintendo targets with games like Mario Party and Labo. They'd be selling two incompatible products to the same audience. Not saying it won't happen tho, only that imo it makes no sense for Nintendo to do it. Why would they develop family multiplayer games if those that should buy those games own a hardware that isn't compatible with them?

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I hope they'll release some official info soon. I really wanna buy Switch but it woold be foolish to do so right now. Ehh...

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch sticks are small so they put more pressure on the hand due to the lack of height and they have a very bad drifting issue with time.

Circle Pad keeps the device more portable plus it's pretty accurate. I know some people break their circle pads with smash but I'm a competitive Smash 4 and Ult player and mine is still pristine.

Now if Switch had Pro controller sticks I'd say that's better, but I def don't enjoy Joy Con ones.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised that if AMD moves heavily into the Smartphone/Mobile space, Nvidia will be forced to respond.
This is a good development for Tegra... probably, Jenson might just not care. However considering his Gigantic ego I would imagine he'll put more emphasis into mobile development again.
Any new announcements? Thier last SoCs tdp was still pretty high for a true portable or phone

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch sticks are small so they put more pressure on the hand due to the lack of height and they have a very bad drifting issue with time.

Circle Pad keeps the device more portable plus it's pretty accurate. I know some people break their circle pads with smash but I'm a competitive Smash 4 and Ult player and mine is still pristine.

Now if Switch had Pro controller sticks I'd say that's better, but I def don't enjoy Joy Con ones.
To each their own I really dont like controlling certain games with the pads on 3DS was a tad too restrictive and somewhat slippery at times.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Any new announcements? Thier last SoCs tdp was still pretty high for a true portable or phone

I mean from a marketing standpoint their last Mobile SOC was the X1(15W) in 2015. You could make the argument for the X2 (15W at full) being a mobile SOC but Nvidia went 100% of "auto-car" marketing with that. And then Xavier is straight up a car chip, 30W, AI features a phone or Switch would never use, basically useless and inefficient for game graphics workloads.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean from a marketing standpoint their last Mobile SOC was the X1(15W) in 2015. You could make the argument for the X2 (15W at full) being a mobile SOC but Nvidia went 100% of "auto-car" marketing with that. And then Xavier is straight up a car chip, 30W, AI features a phone or Switch would never use, basically useless and inefficient for game graphics workloads.
Oh I was asking about AMD side.

As for Nvidia, yeah. They lucked out with Switch as Tegra was in the verge of being cut.

My.theory is X2 will get a consumer roll out with the Shield TV intime for the Switch revisions as there is coordination with a Nintendo IMHo.

Nvidia will continue to hold their fire on a true next gen Tegra chip for Nintendo most likely

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Oh I was asking about AMD side.

As for Nvidia, yeah. They lucked out with Switch as Tegra was in the verge of being cut.

My.theory is X2 will get a consumer roll out with the Shield TV intime for the Switch revisions as there is coordination with a Nintendo IMHo.

Nvidia will continue to hold their fire on a true next gen Tegra chip for Nintendo most likely

Oh right, well today AMD announced that they're partnering with Samsung to bring Navi and other RDNA GPU's to mobile SOC's. Apparently RDNA was made to be super flexible (Vega was already pretty good in that regard, with the various APU's, etc). So they're going to be adding small but powerful Navi GPU's to Exynos and others, which will be a big boost to smartphones and any other products they make; such as ARM64 laptops for example.

This is the first time AMD will be in smartphone SOC's since they the sold Adreno division (fun fact; its a Radeon anagram) in like 2011 (might be '12). Overall, exciting times to be an AMD, or tech in general, fan.

As for Switch2, I imagine Nintendo will put out the contract to multiple different firms as usual; and the best will get ultimately get it. So we'll see what happens. The only issue I see, is that Nvidia has become far too complacent since theyre rich and powerful, so they might cheap out again and lose the contract like what happened with the 3DS.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You expect a hardware lead up time to be less than 4 weeks?

For cheaper hardware yeah. I was thinking 3 weeks is probably the closest they can cut it.

More expensive hardware is usually like 5-6 weeks out but for cheaper hardware they know the announcement will kill current sales a lot stronger than for a more expensive model.

Anyway I'm doubting it will be June but I still think there's a shot. They'd need to announce it within the next couple days though.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For cheaper hardware yeah. I was thinking 3 weeks is probably the closest they can cut it.

More expensive hardware is usually like 5-6 weeks out but for cheaper hardware they know the announcement will kill current sales a lot stronger than for a more expensive model.

Anyway I'm doubting it will be June but I still think there's a shot. They'd need to announce it within the next couple days though.
Other than the Sega Saturn I'm pretty sure all hardware, including revisions usually got 8+ weeks of marketing lead time.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Typically need 30 days to pre-orders in Japan. I'd say Bloomberg info was a mix of truths that were misunderstood. June to see the start of manufacturing makes more sense than a release.

Status
Not open for further replies.