• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Cheaper or not, it has to have more capable innards if it is to run the same games.

Being smaller means working with worse thermals and having to account for smaller battery.
Because its mobile hardware and thats how this stuff works

They arent going to shoehorn the old stuff and they already moved on from the old chipset thanks to the vulnerability of the original
Ok, I misinterpreted what you meant by upgrade then.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Better screen, battery life, and connectivity would be enough to get me to upgrade, but a slight performance boost would be the icing. Hopefully GameStop would eventually have a decent trade in deal so I could combine the credit from that with my trade in credit and get this for free.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I like more power, I defenitely won't want they sacrifice portability, hybrid nature of the Switch is what it is all about, segmenting it into 2 markets seems risky.

Team keep it hybrid
It probably will remain a hybrid. Though in my case, I rarely take the Switch out of the dock anyway, so it wouldn't matter either way in my case. But I'd imagine that the Switch Pro won't stray far from the original Switch's form factor (if at all).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Again, article clearly says that it won't be like a Vita. Nowhere I'm saying it shouldn't be cheaper or aimed at hand-held audience, I just don't see how that means removing the joy-cons.

People who have played the new consoles say the cheaper one isn't like a Vita. I don't know what else can that mean.

It want be like Vita, but in what sense?
Different form factor, different controls, different size..?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that Mariko had 8GB of ram, it means that it is probably the Pro model.
What do you think the samll one will have, the same SoC die-shrunk or not, another custom one, a cut-down mariko?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
For all intents and purposes, the new Switch devices are how the Tegra line is continuing, they'll likely sell far more than any other Tegra-powered device.
I assume this is going to share more in common with GTX 1660 than RTX series, and yeah i'm calling t214 Mariko 'Tegra X3' for now, but I'd love them to just call it Tegra FX and use the branding for the Switch FX name, Switch FX and Switch FX lite

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see them doing a revision of the existing Switch to fix some of the hardware & software shortcomings of the original. Unless they plan on putting the Switch Pro at the OG Switch's price point ($300), there's room for it to co-exist with the cheaper & more expensive options.
I don't think there's room for coexistence at all. revising the SoC will just make for another line on product they'll have to pay for, and one that will be weaker than the two products coming out. the Switch Lite and Switch Pro will use the new SoC and will be stronger just from being newer.

Well if the SNK leaker's specs were right, and with the current confirmation I think it's safe to assume... a 256 cuda core GPU would need to be clocked at 1.6GHz or better to achieve 'Overclocked Tegra X2'. I assume it's using a bigger GPU, 384 or 512 cuda cores, and since Xaiver uses 512 cuda cores and was designed around the same time as this chip, I'm venturing to guess that the chip is 12nm and uses 512 cuda cores with 800GFLOPs+ of performance.
would it be possible to Turing to have better performance per core than Maxwell? this way they can keep the same amount of cores while using a slightly higher clock to reach that alleged level of performance

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Hoping for a dedicated budget handheld option, in addition to a potentially stronger dedicated home console option. I'd eventually buy both down the line if so.

If it turns out to be a budget handheld vs a stronger handheld, chances are I end up not buying either instead.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Well if the SNK leaker's specs were right, and with the current confirmation I think it's safe to assume... a 256 cuda core GPU would need to be clocked at 1.6GHz or better to achieve 'Overclocked Tegra X2'. I assume it's using a bigger GPU, 384 or 512 cuda cores, and since Xaiver uses 512 cuda cores and was designed around the same time as this chip, I'm venturing to guess that the chip is 12nm and uses 512 cuda cores with 800GFLOPs+ of performance.
It's around the realm of hybrid form factor right?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think there's room for coexistence at all. revising the SoC will just make for another line on product they'll have to pay for, and one that will be weaker than the two products coming out. the Switch Lite and Switch Pro will use the new SoC and will be stronger just from being newer.

would it be possible to Turing to have better performance per core than Maxwell? this way they can keep the same amount of cores while using a slightly higher clock to reach that alleged level of performance

The Tegra X2 already had 150% of the performance of the X1 at the same core count and power envelope. There's been 2 revisions in the Tegra drive line since then with the current highest end doing 1.4 FP32 Tflops at 20 Watts

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they will do that because I don't think they are ditching the original model.

That's what I was implying by saying the joycons and dock are optional. They won't be included in the box but you can still use them with the lite version as originally intended.

To make up for the missing buttons by not packing in the joycon they could redesign the screen with haptic screen buttons.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Why are people against someone having the option for a smaller more portable device? It doesn't mean this won't have a mini dock sold separately.

For one, I think the price difference due to the lack of anything sold with the console would be attractive. Especially it is the case where a dock can be purchased later separately.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
It want be like Vita, but in what sense?
Different form factor, different controls, different size..?
As in traditional handhelds. The difference with Switch is that it has removable controllers. People who have played the console saying it isn't like the Vita means in my opinion we can forget about this compact design with non removable joy-cons.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Remember the famous Reggie quote? "Look, here at Nintendo - we're all about power. If it's not 8K, why bother?"

Rugalo

Mar 14, 2019
I have to imagine both models will be a straight upgrade over the OG switch

Or at least the smaller one being identical
A smaller Switch kinda has to have better hardware in order to run the same games in a more difficult thermal envelope.

It should be the Tegra X2 in both devices, for better efficiency in power consumption and performance.
The current Tegra X1 chipset is vulnerable and keeping a 20 nm production line when market doesn't order this much of those 20nm chips from 2015, in 2019 the Tegra X2 16nm should be cheaper to produce.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't understand the whole "but it's not as powerful as PS4 Pro or Xbox One X", seriously who thought that was a real possibility is a delusional.

Are people aware that no mobile hardware can compare to that? If this is actually on par with PS4 as an handheld it would already be very impressive.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That's what I was implying by saying the joycons and dock are optional. They won't be included in the box but you can still use them with the lite version as originally intended.

To make up for the missing buttons by not packing in the joycon they could redesign the screen with haptic screen buttons.
That's fair, though personally, I don't think the portable version will have removable controllers. I could be wrong. The "portable only" version goes against a lot of the positive marketing gimmicks of the original switch (hd rumble, using removable controllers for simple multiplayer, going from tv to portable) so it's difficult to reason where the buck stops.

Oct 30, 2017
For all intents and purposes, the new Switch devices are how the Tegra line is continuing, they'll likely sell far more than any other Tegra-powered device.

this is something that isn't brought up enough. nvidia literally and very publicly halted all of its mobile chip development before the X1/switch. there is no "X2" that could be slotted into a switch the same way the original system was built around an off-the-shelf part.

the success of the switch means it's probably worth nvidia's while to spin up a refreshed design for something that'll ship like 30 million units, but at the same time it's not a company with a ton of resources devoted to this kind of thing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't understand the whole "but it's not as powerful as PS4 Pro or Xbox One X", seriously who thought that was a real possibility is a delusional.

Are people aware that no mobile hardware can compare to those hardware? If this is actually on par with PS4 as an handheld it would already be very impressive.
Even coming remotely close to the OG PS4 would be a huge accomplishment.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leaked image of Switch Mini:
Nintendo-NX-Controller-Large-Small-1200x664.jpg

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Switch Pro-exclusive titles being a possibility may be the only way we get games like Devil May Cry 5 on the platform. So as long as Nintendo doesn't do too many Pro-exclusive titles, I welcome it.

Plus I doubt games exclusive to a particular SKU will ever became prevalent. There were only a handful of New 3DS exclusive games (similar to how there weren't that many Wii Motion Plus exclusive games). The majority of games will still run on the basic Switch (though I imagine there'll be games that run a lot better on the pro model).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It would only interest me is the more powerful version is still an hybrid and only down the far line, becuase im quite happy wth what I have now.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Are people aware that no mobile hardware can compare to those hardware? If this is actually on par with PS4 as an handheld it would already be very impressive.
Why do you think we still get regularly threads about how Sony should make a 300$ handheld with PS4 graphics to beat the Switch? Lol

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus I doubt games exclusive to a particular SKU will ever became prevalent. There were only a handful of New 3DS exclusive games (similar to how there weren't that many Wii Motion Plus exclusive games). The majority of games will still run on the basic Switch (though I imagine there'll be games that run a lot better on the pro model).
And this is why it would be shit.

Jan 10, 2018
Hoping for a dedicated budget handheld option, in addition to a potentially stronger dedicated home console option. I'd eventually buy both down the line if so.

If it turns out to be a budget handheld vs a stronger handheld, chances are I end up not buying either instead.

I'm rather certain that a stronger handheld version wasn't part of the conversation till your post.

Dec 23, 2017
an A72/75 at 1.5GHz and 256 cuda cores at 1GHz docked and 50GB/s bandwidth is gonna make more of a difference than most people realize
You are correct on many levels. Shit just a allowing the clocks to run higher in the current switch would make so much more of a difference. When switch was known to using Tegra my first concern was what were the clocks going to run at. I was disappointed but yet switch has surprised me with its output thus far. Needless to say I am really looking forward to the enhanced switch model. It will be day one for me but I'm hoping Nintendo and nvidia don't fuck this up some how. They have an open lane I think it will just come down to (which scares me) how much money Nintendo want to invest in the future.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Why are people against someone having the option for a smaller more portable device? It doesn't mean this won't have a mini dock sold separately.

For one, I think the price difference due to the lack of anything sold with the console would be attractive. Especially it is the case where a dock can be purchased later separately.
Because they think the name of the thing means it has to always Switch forms or something.

I guess they were asleep for the 3DS released with no 3D.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Having two different new models makes this complicated now.

Son is taking mine more and more so the plan would be to get him whatever the new model was going to be for christmas. Now I might want both :/

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
As in traditional handhelds. The difference with Switch is that it has removable controllers. People who have played the console saying it isn't like the Vita means in my opinion we can forget about this compact design with non removable joy-cons.

Yeah, but they specifically mentioned Vita,
also they said "different from the original and you'd be surprised" compared to OG Switch, so we definitely talking about some bigger differences,
and biggest compared to OG Switch would be built in controls and different form factor.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for a cheaper, more portable model.

I really only want one for Animal Crossing, and would only play it in handheld mode. I wouldn't expect a "premium" model to be all that impressive anyways.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they go back and update current games to take advantage of it. Would love to have Mario Odyssey in 1080p.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Tegra X2 already had 150% of the performance of the X1 at the same core count and power envelope. There's been 2 revisions in the Tegra drive line since then with the current highest end doing 1.4 FP32 Tflops at 20 Watts
I doubt Mariko will look like anything from teh Tegra Drive line. and the X2 is running at clocks I'm not expecting from the Switch Pro/Lite. hence why I asked if Turing has a better per core and per clock performance. the CPU is easy to outperform the Switch, just with moving to a newer processor, but the GPU will be the most interesting change.

and there's a big incentive to move to Turing as Nintendo can make use of variable rate shading and maybe (this is a huge stretch) some kind of ray tracing. again, a huge stretch, but there are more than one ways to use raytracing (like for audio, for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.