• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2017
I'm sure it's been asked already, but what will need to be done if buying a new console if you have a lot of titles purchased digitally?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys don't expect too much, mainly it should be a revision fixing existing issues.

Better Bluetooth (Joycon connectivity issues) and WiFi Module (2.4Ghz connection issues), ever wondered why the Switch doesn't have BT Headset support?

Possibly Tegra X2 (16nm) cheaper production than the Tegra X1 (20nm) costs by now. But you do get a performance and battery boost from it, so it's an upgrade or evolution.

They would also fix the Switch Curved Screen feature and the currently unfixable hardware exploit of the current revision.

Possibly better screens, Switch is already 2 years on the market.

Maybe a more professional dock with additional fan and ethernet Port.

But stay realistic for the Pro version, or get disappointed.
This seems about what I think and I could get

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I still think a portable only model is kind of a mistake. But whatever let's see how Nintendo handles it.

Nintendo's portables consistently sold better than their home consoles. If someone buys the Switch Light but then says, "You know what, I want a premium experience now" then they have an easy upgrade path.

I personally don't see a downside to offering one.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So it's sounding more and more like the Switch "Pro" is twice as much in terms of Specs. it sounds like there is a newer CPU being used, likely A72/A73. Tegra Mariko seems to reach at least double the current Switch's performance when docked, Mariko's profile in Switch firmware also has 8GB ram and a 4GB profile, possibly for the 2 different models... based on the SNK leaker's info, the specs did change after his overclocked X2 stuff, that is natural as they moved on to Mariko from Parker.

I'd also suggest that the cheaper model probably uses the same chip at a lower clock speed, so that when portable, both devices run games with a similar spec to the current Switch when docked, though possibly with faster CPU and RAM, allowing for games to target these new devices, especially after the first 2 years, would allow them to more seemlessly leave generational hardware in the past and embrace a more natural dev cycle, where iterations on hardware allow relevant performance levels going forward.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Guys don't expect too much, mainly it should be a revision fixing existing issues.

Better Bluetooth (Joycon connectivity issues) and WiFi Module (2.4Ghz connection issues), ever wondered why the Switch doesn't have BT Headset support?

Possibly Tegra X2 (16nm) cheaper production than the Tegra X1 (20nm) costs by now. But you do get a performance and battery boost from it, so it's an upgrade or evolution.

They would also fix the Switch Curved Screen feature and the currently unfixable hardware exploit of the current revision.

Possibly better screens, Switch is already 2 years on the market.

Maybe a more professional dock with additional fan and ethernet Port.

But stay realistic for the Pro version, or get disappointed.

That is pretty good enough

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There wouldn't be much meltdowns.

People categorically against it would mellow out as soon as Nintendo would show them a good-looking piece of hardware in one of those Switch concept trailers/commercials.

I was originally pretty opposed to the hybrid idea, but the Switch trailer sold me on it pretty hard.

In this case, it would be straight up innocous as it would be only one of the multiple devices on offer and in no way the flagship model.
You would think there wouldn't be any meltdowns but there are some people so against a mini version that I wouldn't be surprised.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Only picking up the 'pro' if it's still portable. If it's just a traditional console, Nintendo can fuck right off. The whole point of the Switch is that it can switch, which is why I hate the idea of a 'handheld only' version as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is smart. Get ahead of the decline. Don't wait until the decline starts. Keep putting fuel in the train. The Mini was a given. The Pro possibly coming this early throws me off a little, but whatever. They probably don't want to chance it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to have a truly portable model like the 3DS, but I fear it'll be underpowered... The Pro model is appealing, but it doesn't address my main issue with the Switch, which is that I don't find it to be a particularly good handheld. The performance boost could be good, though.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So it's sounding more and more like the Switch "Pro" is twice as much in terms of Specs. it sounds like there is a newer CPU being used, likely A72/A73. Tegra Mariko seems to reach at least double the current Switch's performance when docked, Mariko's profile in Switch firmware also has 8GB ram and a 4GB profile, possibly for the 2 different models... based on the SNK leaker's info, the specs did change after his overclocked X2 stuff, that is natural as they moved on to Mariko from Parker.

What is a Tegra Mariko? Next announced Tegra revision is the Tegra Orin/Pegasus from everything I know. Also the name Mariko doesn't come up on any Nvidia roadmaps I could find.

Edit:
Orin_Roadmap_Car_678x452.png

rWnpH32.png

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Any kind of enhanced hardware is good. The Switch hardware is straight up not good in multiple ways. Mine is warped from always being docked.

Hopefully a power boost too. Xenoblade 2 needs a Pro patch badly.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For games that don't use cloud saves (like splatoon) is there a way to do a system transfer to move over save files to a new system?

The main feature of interest I would have in a pro unit is Bluetooth headset compatibility

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine both models will be a straight upgrade over the OG switch

Or at least the smaller one being identical

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
What is a Tegra Mariko? Next announced Tegra revision is the Tegra Orin from everything I know. Also the name Mariko doesn't come up on any Nvidia roadmaps I could find.

That Mariko was the name for the Switch revision T214 that was shown in the code for the 5.0.0 Switch update in 2018. Was talked to have 8gb of RAM

Jan 10, 2018
I still think a portable only model is kind of a mistake. But whatever let's see how Nintendo handles it.

Part of Nintendo's confidence in the Switch's extra longevity, it seems, comes from the idea that the system isn't generally limited to one sale per household. "Our ultimate ambition is for a Nintendo Switch to be owned not just by every family, but by every single person," Miyamoto said in the Q&A. Only then, he said, will consumers be able to "take for granted that everybody has a Nintendo Switch, then we can create new and very Nintendo genres of play, and Nintendo Switch can have a life apart from smart devices and other video game systems."

This isn't a new concept for Nintendo. Company president Tatsumi Kimishima has said multiple times in recent months that he expects many households to buy multiple Switch consoles for separate family members. Miyamoto had the same vision for the Nintendo DS back in 2009, telling the Economist that "instead of selling one unit per household as with the Wii, Nintendo wants to sell one DSi per family member."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/nintendo-hopes-every-single-person-will-own-a-switch/

2 Switch Gos for the Pokemon playing kids, 1 Switch Go with Doom for mommy in the Lockheed Martin boardroom and 1 main Switch at home to play Bayonetta on the TV.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd also suggest that the cheaper model probably uses the same chip at a lower clock speed, so that when portable, both devices run games with a similar spec to the current Switch when docked, though possibly with faster CPU and RAM, allowing for games to target these new devices, especially after the first 2 years, would allow them to more seemlessly leave generational hardware in the past and embrace a more natural dev cycle, where iterations on hardware allow relevant performance levels going forward.
an A72/75 at 1.5GHz and 256 cuda cores at 1GHz docked and 50GB/s bandwidth is gonna make more of a difference than most people realize

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
What I expect:

NINTENDO SWITCH S
- Price around 350 dollars;
- Better battery life (1+ hours compared to the normal Switch)
- Unlocked Tegra X1? (I mean no customisation)
- Better dock
- 8gb ram
- Larger screen in portable mode

NINTENDO SWITCH
- Price drop to 250

NINTENDO SWITCH L(ite)
- Price around 200/220 dollars;
- No rumble, reduced dock's form factory, no motion IR camera

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
They saying that but referring to a current Switch and current controllers, not that revision will have Joy Cons, just that will not have HD rumble like OG Switch has.
Being 3DS successor means low price point offer and focus on handheld play, also, you can bet that HD Rumble will not be only cuted feature.

That can mean anything, like totally different form factor, does not mean that will have Joy Cons.
In both cases above you reaching, like that proves your point, but it doesnt,
on other hand I reffer to very clear informations like "that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device" and past Nikkes article also said "low price revision with focus on handheld play with cuted features".

You missing clear fact that families already have Switch model for itself, they dont need cut nothing from current model, they have full experience and to use it like they want. Again, when we talk about this "successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device" point is about handheld only users that want low price offer.
No one said that Pro is for kids, like I wrote parents/kids can choose between current Switch and low price offer Switch that will be focused on handheld play.
Again, article clearly says that it won't be like a Vita. Nowhere I'm saying it shouldn't be cheaper or aimed at hand-held audience, I just don't see how that means removing the joy-cons.

People who have played the new consoles say the cheaper one isn't like a Vita. I don't know what else can that mean.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
What is a Tegra Mariko? Next announced Tegra revision is the Tegra Orin/Pegasus from everything I know. Also the name Mariko doesn't come up on any Nvidia roadmaps I could find.

Edit:

rWnpH32.png

Mariko (aka T214) is a chip referenced within Switch's firmware for about a year now. The Tegra chips above are Nvidia's automotive chips, whereas Mariko is almost certainly a custom SoC for Nintendo.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

Edit:

rWnpH32.png
That Mariko was the name for the Switch revision that was shown in the code for the 5.0.0 Switch update in 2018
it was not the name of the Switch revision, it was the name of the custom chip that the Switch firmware had built into it's official code. Somewhere there are devices using a chip called Tegra Mariko, that have 8GB of RAM and run the Switch OS. Nintendo has updated this firmware in 6.0 and 7.0 and Mariko is still there and I believe it's even been updated.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also, I don't think the current switch will continue to exist. they can't have these upgrades while keeping the current switch as it is, so I wouldn't expect a price drop for them, but a fire sale to get rid of them

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Mariko (aka T214) is a chip referenced within Switch's firmware for about a year now. The Tegra chips above are Nvidia's automotive chips, whereas Mariko is almost certainly a custom SoC for Nintendo.

Ah I see but I would think the next Switch would be based on the automotive chips given they are how the tegra line is continuing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
also, I don't think the current switch will continue to exist. they can't have these upgrades while keeping the current switch as it is, so I wouldn't expect a price drop for them, but a fire sale to get rid of them
I could see them doing a revision of the existing Switch to fix some of the hardware & software shortcomings of the original. Unless they plan on putting the Switch Pro at the OG Switch's price point ($300), there's room for it to co-exist with the cheaper & more expensive options.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
an A72/75 at 1.5GHz and 256 cuda cores at 1GHz docked and 50GB/s bandwidth is gonna make more of a difference than most people realize

Well if the SNK leaker's specs were right, and with the current confirmation I think it's safe to assume... a 256 cuda core GPU would need to be clocked at 1.6GHz or better to achieve 'Overclocked Tegra X2'. I assume it's using a bigger GPU, 384 or 512 cuda cores, and since Xaiver uses 512 cuda cores and was designed around the same time as this chip, I'm venturing to guess that the chip is 12nm and uses 512 cuda cores with 800GFLOPs+ of performance.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still think a Switch lite could get rid of joycons and come without a dock but still be dockable. For joycon games you can buy joycons separately.

Lowers entry price. Allows accessory up selling.

They could sell a dock plus joycons combo pack or something. Plus some sort of joycon charging station.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
While I like more power, I defenitely won't want they sacrifice portability, hybrid nature of the Switch is what it is all about, segmenting it into 2 markets seems risky.

Team keep it hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.