• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trouble is, the enhanced power of the New 3DS was taken full advantage of but a handful of times:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
  • Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Minecraft
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • SNES emulation
Hopefully, if they did indeed make a "Premium" SKU, implementation would more closely follow the One X/PS4 Pro standard of general enhancements across a majority of AAA titles. Otherwise, it would just be another, "That's nice, but..."

With the way dynamic resolutions are used today the number of improved games on NewSwitch will be far more than just a handful.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
PapaGenos said he was told info about new Switch models too a few days ago. He was told this before WSJ's report. Here's what he heard. Take with huge grain of salt or course.

-Reveal to be at E3 2019
-2 new Switches planned for a Q3 2019- Q4 2019 release

Portable version
-cheaper clamshell joyconless Switch
-focus on single player experience
-dock closer to original 3DS charging cradle and cheaper to produce (dock)
-price around $199.99

Now info on the Enhanced version
-Nintendo Switch Plus or Nintendo Switch Deluxe will replace current Switch
-not 4K capable
-Nvidia Pascal architecture and overall Doc design similar to Tegra X2 SoC. 256 CUDA cores
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage
-price aiming for $349.99

-Current Switch to get price cut to atleast $269.99 in Q3 2019
We'll see how reliable this source ends up being, but I would definitely be in on that Switch Pro. The portable version is also interesting but I don't think I would bite on that (until some cool skin comes out for a new game release or something, then i'll bite).

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've been waiting for an announcement before I buy a Switch.
Will go for the enhanced model if it ends up being true

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PapaGenos said he was told info about new Switch models too a few days ago. He was told this before WSJ's report. Here's what he heard. Take with huge grain of salt or course.

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-Nvidia Pascal architecture and overall Doc design similar to Tegra X2 SoC. 256 CUDA cores
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

All this sounds good...but larger display?

I know, huge grain of salt, lol

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
>12GB of ram

c2c.jpg
lol yeah, other components seem like shots in the dark too. I am not even handing out an e for effort on that one.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
This is part where you keep mistaking,
this is most likely low price Switch thats "focused on handheld play" and singleplay experience (so no on local multiplyer), so it's not focused on kids and families,
so this is personal device for people that want only handheld play so you don't need detachable Joy Cons.
You want family play, local multiplayer, more kids playing, sharing Joy Cons...than just by regular Switch, because regular Switch offers all that,
point of low price Switch focused revision is something else and aims at different segment on market.
That's not what the article is saying and I really doubt the cheaper model won't be aimed at casuals and families. They aren't releasing a cheaper model for ERA pro gamers.

The 2DS was aimed at kids, so will the new cheaper Switch.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
So your plan is to nuclearize definitively an hw improvement because reasons. It's like to deactivate the 3D in old 3DS hardware because the 2DS is out.
Dude, I have no "plan", LOL.

If you go back and read the first post I replied to you'll see they were wondering if hypotetically removing HD rumble would cause compatibility problems.
I just tried to explain how it could work. I have no interest in having it removed, ffs! Just like I never wanted for 3D on 3DS to be phased out, but Pokémon was 90% 2D (100% in S/M) and nobody batted an eyelid, so Nintendo guessed nobody actually cared for 3D anymore.

Why exactly does a theoretical HD rumbless joycon need it to be patched out of older games to work? Why can't it just.... not HD rumble.
Theoretically speaking, there's no reason. But I wonder if a non-HD rumble controller would work correctly when receiving HD rumble information. It probably would. But if not, patching it out could be the solution to maintain compatibility with non-HD controllers and have the games work the same on HD and non-HD models.

Look, again, it's not something I want to get removed. Someone wondered if it could be removed, I suggested how it could be done.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You should clean your Switch then and maybe sell it to a person who would actually use it instead of trying to tell everyone subtly how the Switch has no games (which btw doesn't really belong in this thread).

I'm not saying it has no games. I'm saying I generally don't use it for anything other than Smash most of the time, and Smash's time has kinda already passed with my core friend group. It's a nice system, it's just not my preferred way to play games outside of major Nintendo exclusives, and said exclusives are why I own the dang thing.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's his video with all the information

Wow his source also told him about the successor to the Switch too (9th generation)

-It is a Switch lol
-Support HDMI V2.1
-4K support
-10 gigabit Ethernet port
-5G for truly wireless online gameplay
-new SoC based on Nvidias Volta with 512 CUDA cores
-1080p OLED display

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

Does PapaGenos have a history of accurate rumors? All I know is he doubled down on the Grinch rumor multiple times

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Obviously I want the more powerful one, but I'm really looking at the Switch as my portable 3DS step-up replacement. Need more info.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does PapaGenos have a history of accurate rumors? All I know was he doubled down on the Grinch rumor multiple times
He knew about details of Spirits board before it was revealed.

In his video he says someone just sent him this info days ago and he brushed it off. He only brought it up now because of what WSJ is saying and how it's similar to what this person sent his days prior.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

No 4K output from the dock and a 720p screen in handheld mode is really disappointing, personally. I wish they really brandished the power increase, if this is all true of course.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Wow his source also told him about the successor to the Switch too (9th generation)

-It is a Switch lol
-Support HDMI V2.1
-4K support
-10 gigabit Ethernet port
-5G for truly wireless online gameplay
-new SoC based on Nvidias Volta with 512 CUDA cores
-1080p OLED display
Okay, now I think he's just getting played again like with his Grinch leak "source".

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
This is good news to me, I will buy the cheaper lite model as I only plan to play Pokemon on my switch.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That's not what the article is saying and I really doubt the cheaper model won't be aimed at casuals and families. They aren't releasing a cheaper model for ERA pro gamers.

The 2DS was aimed at kids, so will the new cheaper Switch.

Article says about low price offer that will be "a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device", in previous article WSJ very clearly said "focused on handheld play with cuted features". That tells a lot.
Current Switch is aimed at families, with its local multiplayer, sharing Joycons...we here talking about something else, I mean replacement for 3DS, focused on handheld play and cuted features, doesn't sound at all focused on families.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You can already do that?
Can I? I'm assuming it has to be done manually?

I'll outright buy the more powerful Switch and turn my current one into a travel switch with a travel dock if I can easily copy all my games and progress from the main one to the travel switch, then migrate it back when I return.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Can I? I'm assuming it has to be done manually?

I'll outright buy the more powerful Switch and turn my current one into a travel switch with a travel dock if I can easily copy all my games and progress from the main one to the travel switch, then migrate it back when I return.

Just use the cloud backup and then sign into another switch. That's it. You can download all your software and saves onto that other switch as long as you're logged in.

edit: https://www.imore.com/how-use-nintendo-switch-online-move-game-saves-new-nintendo-switch

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Article says about low price offer that will be "a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device", in previous article WSJ very clearly said "focused on handheld play with cuted features". That tells a lot.
Current Switch is aimed at families, with its local multiplayer, sharing Joycons...we here talking about something else.
No. Article says the cheaper model is aimed at casual audience while Pro at avid gamers. We are not the target of the cheaper model, families and kids are

And that previous report was from Nikkei.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to see Nintendo release the more powerful model as a dock with more powerful CPU/GPU and RAM and capable of 4K for us existing Switch owners.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SORRY I messed up. In PapaGenos video he said 8 GB of RAM. I was reading his 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage and accidentally wrote "12 GB of RAM"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 12GB of RAM with those specs is overkill in any case, best we can hope is 8GB,
but I personally don't see more than 6GB RAM if they are increasing RAM on first place.
lol yeah, other components seem like shots in the dark too. I am not even handing out an e for effort on that one.

He said 8 GB of RAM. I messed up and accidentally typed 12 GB of RAM.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
As long as games run well on both I'm down for the pro. But don't want to see a split market.

EDIT: OH SHIT JUST REALIZED THIS MIGHT MEAN SOLID 30FPS 1080P BREATH OF THE WILD!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
No. Article says the cheaper model is aimed at casual audience while Pro at avid gamers. We are not the target of the cheaper model, families and kids are

And that previous report was from Nikkei.

"The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say".

3DS succor screams handheld play and low price point. Also casual and family gamers are not same thing, one of biggest point of family gamer's is local multiplayer, same doesnt mean for casual gamers, most of current casual gamers are phone/tablet gamers.

Nikkei was often more accurate than WSJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.