• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Isn't there the Tegra Xavier chip as well? That one has more than 4x of the X1's memory bandwidth. I imagine that would be a beastly Switch. IIRC that chip hasn't been released yet, tho, so it's quite unrealistic for the Pro to have that SoC as its base.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now that there are two models coming, I can definitely see the cheaper version having no joy cons or dock included.

However, I think it's 100% out of the question that the Pro will be "console-only".

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
but why tho.. their main stick was the "switch" idea. being able to switch from home to portable on the fly. why turn everything around and fragment the core concept of their hardware.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
You can disagree all you want, you'll still be wrong. It's not about price point, it's about truth in advertising and not misleading consumers. If a customer complains that a New 3DS Only game doesn't work on their 2DS, you point to the front of the box that the game came in that explicitly says "Only For New Nintendo 3DS". If a customer complains that their Nintendo Switch doesn't play their Nintendo Switch game, you fucked up.

The hybrid nature is right there in the name, making it - again - a truth in advertising issue. Technically, so was the 3D in 3DS, but Nintendo was able to get around that with '2DS' - a very clean and simple name that simultaneously communicates that it's mostly the same console and makes the removal of 2D clear, all by changing a single number. It's a perfect solution. If you can think of an equally perfect equivalent for a non-switching Switch, go right ahead. I'll wait.

And guess what, the Joy-Cons are not entirely optional. Try playing 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, the built-in Street Fighter 2-player or several of the games in Super Mario Party without detachable Joy-Con or the tablet form factor with tabletop mode. Spoiler: you can't, which is my whole point.

I dont see any problem, for instance you can put on box something like "not compatible with few Switch games". So yeah, I disagree that is big problem or big difference with 3DS situation.

Like you wrote its a name, but also its not simple name of concept, its more than that, its a platform, and you will have different kind of revisions that will be all part of Switch platform, same like 2DS is part of 3DS platform.
I dont see any problem with low price Switch offer thats focused on handheld single play, for instance with name Switch Pocket/Mini.

Yes they are optional, few games that require them don't change that (99% of Switch games could be played in handheld mode only), also fact that you have people that only use Switch in handheld mode also proves that.

Also, info saying they are ditching HD vibration for this low price option, on other hand you can't fully play 1-2 Switch without HD Rumble, Super Mario Party has minigames that rely on HD Rumble too.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Most games Nintendo releases for casuals, families and kids make a big use of all Switch functionalities: Labo, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go. I know the main games this year are Animal Crossing, Mario Maker and Pokémon S/S but there is absolutely no way Nintendo will release a console for kids and families and not use that chance to try sell them games they made for that audience. Also, I'm pretty sure Mario Maker and Animal Crossing will make a big use of local two player co-op with the joy-cons.

Only imagine the scenes when a parent gets this new Switch for casuals alongside Animal Crossing and Labo VR only to later find out they won't be able to play one of the games.

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be interesting if the pro was designed sheerly to cater to 3rd party developers in an effort to expand the catalogue of titles on the switch while Nintendo will still develop titles that will be compatible across all hardware. Very curious about the specs of the Pro

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
there's already some games you can't play undocked, no? i don't think you're fragmenting the audience too much with joycon requirements

"Pro enchanced" requirements however would be an issue probably. i don't think they'd go that route

I think there are some games you cant play docked, dont think there are any you cant play undocked. But I think no joycos would be a big deal. No labo? Entore movesets in mario oddysey gone? Local multiplayer hook out the window? Huge mistake

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Isn't there the Tegra Xavier chip as well? That one has more than 4x of the X1's memory bandwidth. I imagine that would be a beastly Switch. IIRC that chip hasn't been released yet, tho, so it's quite unrealistic for the Pro to have that SoC as its base.

There's also a tegra based chip that comfortably outperforms the Xbox One X in raw power with 8 teraflops of GPU compute https://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-drive-px-2/ not that it has the power draw to fit in a mobile system but it does exist.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Jesus this is the worst idea of the generation
Hey mates, it's not something I want, you know?

But if (IF) they're doing away with the HD rumble because of a significant redesign of the Joycons, I guess that's one way they could get rid of the related problems.

I like HD rumble but it's true that there's games on the Switch where I turned off the rumble because it's just obnoxious, like The Mummy Demastered. That shit gets fucking LOUD in quiet rooms when you're playing handheld, and adds nothing to the game.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I actually hope not. I only play my switch docked and the battery issue scares me plus it gets kicked off the shelf ever so often.

Give me something with a traditional power supply and is stable.

I think any system would be in danger if it got frequently kicked off a shelf. In fact that could straight up brick a PS4/Xbox One with their mechanical hard drives.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017

But if (IF) they're doing away with the HD rumble because of a significant redesign of the Joycons, I guess that's one way they could get rid of the related problems.

I like HD rumble but it's true that there's games on the Switch where I turned off the rumble because it's just obnoxious, like The Mummy Demastered. That shit gets fucking LOUD in quiet rooms when you're playing handheld, and adds nothing to the game.
So your plan is to nuclearize definitively an hw improvement because reasons. It's like to deactivate the 3D in old 3DS hardware because the 2DS is out.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Remember all those Nintendo games exclusive to the New 3DS ?

Yeah, me neither.
Just Xenoblade 3D, FE Warriors and SNES VC for 1st party iirc. DSi only had DSiWare. GBC actually had quite a bit though: SMB Deluxe, Zelda Oracles, Pokémon Crystal, Wario Land 3, R-Type DX, Pokémon Pinball, DKC, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Perfect Dark, Pokémon Puzzle Challenge, Bionic Commando EF, Crystalis, Hamtaro, etc.

I don't see Nintendo themselves doing many Pro-only Switch games but I can see traditional 3rd parties doing it depending on spec.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly, I hope we get some Pro-exclusive titles, at least for third party games. If nothing else, we can finally get games like Devil May Cry 5 & Resident Evil 2 (Remake) on the Switch without a massive compromise in framerate (especially in the case of DMC5).

I don't see Nintendo themselves going too crazy with Pro-exclusive titles (if at all), but at least give third party companies the option, especially with next-gen on the horizon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PapaGenos said he was told info about new Switch models too a few days ago. He was told this before WSJ's report. Here's what he heard. Take with huge grain of salt or course.

-Reveal to be at E3 2019
-2 new Switches planned for a Q3 2019- Q4 2019 release

Portable version
-cheaper clamshell joyconless Switch
-focus on single player experience
-dock closer to original 3DS charging cradle and cheaper to produce (dock)
-price around $199.99

Now info on the Enhanced version
-Nintendo Switch Plus or Nintendo Switch Deluxe will replace current Switch
-not 4K capable
-Nvidia Pascal architecture and overall Doc design similar to Tegra X2 SoC. 256 CUDA cores
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-8 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage
-price aiming for $349.99

-Current Switch to get price cut to atleast $269.99 in Q3 2019

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It'd be interesting if the pro was designed sheerly to cater to 3rd party developers in an effort to expand the catalogue of titles on the switch while Nintendo will still develop titles that will be compatible across all hardware. Very curious about the specs of the Pro
I don't think something like this would happen.

Think about from the perspective of those very third parties:
"Yo this Switch thing proved to be a success, but we can't port our games, because of the specs! What's this, a brand new stronger model? Finally, we can target the Switch userbase of 35+ million uni... oh wait"

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Why exactly does a theoretical HD rumbless joycon need it to be patched out of older games to work? Why can't it just.... not HD rumble.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I hope they can make all games run on the three models. But the 'New 3DS exclusive titles' might happen again.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Article says it won't be like the Vita and that the new Switch models will remain hybrid consoles.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So the more powerful one will still be portable I'm guessing?

I would bet on that. Both versions would still work the same way as og Switch, but the lite versions has cheaper components and pro will be slightly stronger hardware wise like a 3DS -> New 3DS.

I wonder if there will be exclusive games for the pro version. I doubt any New 3DS only game sold much.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would pay for Nintendo's online service if it let me migrate all my games and game data between two switches in my house.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO the premium model won't be more powerful, it'll just have QoL improvements.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Zero interest in another Switch. I barely even use my main one enough as it is, absolutely no way I'm paying them again for a second console that'll also just gather dust like the first one.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PapaGenos said he was told info about new Switch models too a few days ago. He was told this before WSJ's report. Here's what he heard. Take with huge grain of salt or course.

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-Nvidia Pascal architecture and overall Doc design similar to Tegra X2 SoC. 256 CUDA cores
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

Oh woah, I would be all over that Plus model.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
Honestly, even if the enhanced model did nothing more than run BotW at 1080p I'd be in.

This. Nintendo would have a far easier time doing Pro/Non-Pro compatibly than Sony or MS on art style alone.

Release a X2 Pro version that plays everything normally with 1080p patches for games that need it and call it good.

Don't have to worry about higher resolution textures, HDR, etc. Third parties are already used to it.

After playing Zelda on CEMU at 4K on a 4K panel at 60fps it's very difficult to play it on my Switch (let alone my Wii U version).

Zelda is still my GOAT.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Most games Nintendo releases for casuals, families and kids make a big use of all Switch functionalities: Labo, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go. I know the main games this year are Animal Crossing, Mario Maker and Pokémon S/S but there is absolutely no way Nintendo will release a console for kids and families and not use that chance to try sell them games they made for that audience. Also, I'm pretty sure Mario Maker and Animal Crossing will make a big use of local two player co-op with the joy-cons.

Only imagine the scenes when a parent gets this new Switch for casuals alongside Animal Crossing and Labo VR only to later find out they won't be able to play one of the games.

This is part where you keep mistaking,
this is most likely low price Switch thats "focused on handheld play" and singleplay experience (so no on local multiplyer), so it's not focused on kids and families,
so this is personal device for people that want only handheld play so you don't need detachable Joy Cons.
You want family play, local multiplayer, more kids playing, sharing Joy Cons...than just by regular Switch, because regular Switch offers all that,
point of low price Switch focused revision is something else and aims at different segment on market.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Recently got the Let's Go Pikachu limited edition one so really don't need a third Switch but if the 'Pro' version is still comfortable in handheld and a decent improvement I'll be there day 1.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'll buy both. I hate taking the switch with me on planes and such. It's just a tad too big. The smaller version will be a blessing.

Outside of travel, I almost exclusively use my switch in dock mode, so the pro will also be a welcome edition.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

Who is this dude and why should I believe him?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It'll probably work like the pro/x where it plays the same games just with higher/stable resolution/framerate.

Probably one of the best things about dynamic resolution already built into most Nintendo games on Switch is it should see automatic improvements without too much hassle for devs/users.

At most there might be a pro specific update that raises the dynamic resolution threshold for certain games e.g. imagine Splatoon 2 going from dynamic 900p/60 to dynamic 1080/60.

If most games could just run at 1080p docked, that would be good enough for me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

>12GB of ram

c2c.jpg

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Zero interest in another Switch. I barely even use my main one enough as it is, absolutely no way I'm paying them again for a second console that'll also just gather dust like the first one.

You should clean your Switch then and maybe sell it to a person who would actually use it instead of trying to tell everyone subtly how the Switch has no games (which btw doesn't really belong in this thread).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Article says it won't be like the Vita and that the new Switch models will remain hybrid consoles.

They dont saying that, but what actualy does says and you ignore is this:

"The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device".

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this is the price we'll have to pay to get virtual console games again...
Only kind of kidding.
I wonder if the portable option will include a DS/3DS game slot?
That would be awesome!

N.Grim

Nov 30, 2017
Guys the switch mini could still be compatible with the joycons to play games like 1-2 Switch

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

Yeah, 12GB of RAM with those specs is overkill in any case, best we can hope is 8GB,
but I personally don't see more than 6GB RAM if they are increasing RAM on first place.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

-Reveal to be at E3 2019

Portable version
-focus on single player experience
-price around $199.99

-not 4K capable
-larger display panel
-still 720p resolution
-12 GB of RAM
-128 GB of storage

I feel like a clean doubling of the RAM would make lot more sense unless they intend to use the extra 4 of it for multi-tasking which would kind of make sense given the "it's not like a PS4->Pro" comment.........................

Actually you know what that makes a heck of a lot of sense. The Switch Pro is going to add the ability to run software in the background like a voice chat app or lighter software like youtube or maybe a web browser.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I hope summer would mean an Animal Crossing push it is the best time to get me to buy an updated hardware.

So I want to believe WSJ they have been pushing this for a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.