• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I'll make the transition if Switch Pro has a substantial enough upgrade over the current system, because I'm really quite happy with how mine is holding up.

IIRC this strategy worked for Sony when they revealed the PS4 Pro and Slim at the same time.

Correct me if this is inaccurate though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Pro version I'm expecting the joycons to have analogue triggers and to have bigger face buttons. Just better everything for your more core gaming needs.

GameCube remakes or ports will come as the analogue triggers are now standard.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.

I wonder if the Pro is definitely more powerful, then will the battery be better? Or the system parts are more efficient to not impact the battery so much.
That's a good question. I would hope that more efficient and modern parts would allow for minimal changes to the battery life if the Pro model is a good amount more powerful but I wouldn't be able to say

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Lets say the switch pro is vastly ahead of the regular switch, will nintendo make exclusive games for it? Or alternatively, will nintendo allow third party developers to port their high end games to the switch pro only?

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Not as powerful as a Pro is obvious, but I wonder how it compares to a base Xbox One?

Probably not that close, considering the iPad Pro is comparable to an Xbox One and that costs $800.

As long as it does a good job of running current Switch games (Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2) without framerate or resolution drops I guess it's fine.

Would be nice if the Pro model at least maintains compatibility with the dock and joy-cons. Unless they make an eGPU dock :o

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in how this 'pro' version will perform. Games such as Xenoblade 2 are amazing, but the framerate can get a bit iffy sometimes. If this model will fix that, I'd be seriously willing to consider the purchase.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Based on the details in the article, I don't think the Lite version will be the replacement. I don't think they will have the base version of the Switch not be compatible with Labo.

Agree, I think that enhanced version will be actually something similar like New 3DS, and that will be replacement for current Switch model.

But isn't a portable only model also mean that they're throwing away Switch's unique selling point as a hybrid?

Yeah, but portable side of Switch is far more important than home console side, thats biggest difference compared to PS4/XB1,
also handhelds were always much bigger for Nintendo than home consoles, so it has much more sense to release low price version focused on handheld play instead on home console play, especially with releases like Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

I can't see them launching around the same time, that just seems like a bad idea.
Even launching one in summer and the other in holiday would be weird.

Not really, different preferences and different price points, we probably talking around $100 price point difference between them,
so obviously they are targeting different segments of markets.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm in for the Pro since I'll trade in my current one. I don't mind a Pro one but I only play my switch in portable mode so I do hope that it brings unmotivation to that mode such as OLED screen or bigger battery life whatever they want tbh

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how easy it would be to enable a "Pro" mode on older games. It would be cool if they could make even small improvements to existing games, like I doubt it would take much more power to get BotW running at 1080p.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't abandon HD rumble for their games. :(

I enjoyed the subtle touches in Super Mario Odyssey quite a bit, and am/was looking forward to how it's utilized in Metroid Prime 4 and the next big Zelda.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Lets say the switch pro is vastly ahead of the regular switch, will nintendo make exclusive games for it? Or alternatively, will nintendo allow third party developers to port their high end games to the switch pro only?
At most we could get 1 or 2 exclusives like the New 3DS with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Even then I'm doubtful that this will happen, since the Switch is considerably more capable of handling big games.

I can see them following Sony and Microsoft's route of making it mandatory to release the same games on every Switch.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Probably no to Nintendo doing it, but I think they'll allow 3rd parties that want in on the Switch ecosystem but can't bring certain titles (like Resident Evil 2 for example) due to power limitations/difficulty of porting as is.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I would be surprised if both came this year. I would've thought the Switch lite would've came this year and pushed by AC, FE, Mario Maker 2 and Pokémon. Then the Pro version next year with bigger titles like 3D Zelda and Monoliths new IP.

I dont think this is real Pro model similar to PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, this is most likely something more like New 3DS compared to OG 3DS,
so probably will be replacement for current Switch model.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
No HD Rumble is bullshit if true. Some games utilized it really well (Lockpicking in Skyrim, SOPHIA taking off in Blaster Master Zero).

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Is it crazy that I want both models?

I'd love a powerful one to play at home and a PS Vita sized one to play on the go.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if they will discontinue the regular switch for these 2 models. maybe have the more powerful model as the standard switch now.
It'd put the kibosh on the exploitable hardware. I'm expecting them to both have X2, "lite" wouldn't need a fan?
The dream would be BOTW 60fps

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Looking at the New 3DS, I doubt we will get a lot of games that will be Pro only.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Lol guys you shouldn't expect a lot of power from the Pro model.

It seems its focus will be having Pro features, not Pro performance.

What specific features would you declare as "Pro" features? The first that came to mind for me are online communications in the background, which I firmly believe Nintendo deliberately relegated to the smartphone app so developers could maximize the 4GB RAM available.

Unfortunately, limiting an essential feature to the (assuredly, based on cost) smallest percentage of Switch owners would drastically fragment the overall experience.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Having read the article, it's going to be funny if two sides have both their expectations failed.

One side being the Switch Mini with no Joy-Cons attached aka Nintendo handheld only Switch aka Nintendo creating a Vita handheld.

The other side thinking the Pro will bring 4K rendered games or have Big Boy Games released exclusively for the Switch Pro like how New Nintendo 3DS had exclusive games.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Always welcome more options, so I'd love to hear more even though i'll likely never get them

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The DSi and New 3DS did exist and they did in fact have exclusive games on top of running regular games better, so certainly not out of the ordinary.

I have doubts of such a model coming out so soon though, it's only been 2 years.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Down to double-dip on a "pro" version if the upgrade is subtantial, though I didn't keep up to date on what's technically possible. Has NVIDIA a more powerful Tegra SOC ready to go?

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017

Even if it was 4x more powerful docked it wont translate to much in real world terms. Better framerates slightly higher resolution , slightly more effects and a slightly better battery life. There are many tradeoffs. So the games will still be the same dont expect too much from a spec bump on a handheld that can be docked. Even if the SCD exists think of ps4 to ps4 pro enhancements, i.e. not that significant in many use cases that constitutes having to make exclusive games for it.

To be honest I am still happy we are getting all this power in a handheld now at this price.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think we will see exclusive games. I expect the Lite model to have the same power as the OG Switch and this one being replaced by the Pro model, with games running better on the latter. That is you will be able to play Doom Eternal on both systems, only that in one it will play 540p/720p while the new model could reach 600p in handheld mode and 900p docked mode. So if you really care about Doom you will eventually get the Pro model. Some games could become quite unplayable on the Lite model but that wouldn't mind as the audience getting that model would not play these games.

My guess is we will have two Switch in the market at the end of the year:

- A 300 USD model with a small performance upgrade, wireless headphones support, becoming the next standard Switch.
- A 230 USD model with same performance as the current model, small features cut and sold without dock.

If you only care about Pokémon, Animal Crossing and casual games then Lite model is enough.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Down to double-dip on a "pro" version if the upgrade is subtantial, though I didn't keep up to date on what's technically possible. Has NVIDIA a more powerful Tegra SOC ready to go?

I'd say it's less about wether or not nVidia has beefier SoCs, given that Switch doesn't run the full power of it's Tegra neither in portable nor docked mode. It's more about that the jump can't be too high as future games would also need to run on both the cheaper, more portable revision and the original Switch.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Not sure if I believe this whole switch pro thing but if it's legit I'm most deff buying one love my current switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idc about 4K. Just make it a little more better (for games) and add the features people ask for. No more stupid voice chat on app. Add analog triggers. Better Bluetooth for headsets. Bigger face buttons on the joycons, etc. More efficient all around. All this for the Enhanced version which will replace the OG.

I hope they can get that Supplemental Computing Device to work one day too.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
Not expecting much from Pro model, definitely not 4k/HDR/etc. But as long as we can get games at stable resolutions(no more dynamic resolutions dropping all the way down to <300p) and frame rates vs current Switch i'll take it. Wouldn't prefer it but would definitely be okay with Xbox One base power even. If they can get it to Vanilla PS4 levels I think we'll be okay.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's no way a Switch Pro is more powerful than a vanilla PS4, right? I can't imagine 4K being on the table.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Is it crazy that I want both models?

I'd love a powerful one to play at home and a PS Vita sized one to play on the go.
Same here lol

Honestly if there is a nice trade-in promo at gamestop or something i could see trading my current one for the Pro Model...and get the cheaoer/portable one later this year with Pokemon or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I still haven't gotten a Switch because there aren't enough games (or even one in particular) that is a must have for me currently out. That and the system is so underpowered I wasnt keen playing it on my 4K TV.

This will HOPEFULLY change by the time Metroid and other games comes out for it. The portable aspect is of no use to me, but I cant deny that certain Nintendo franchises are near and dear to my heart, even if I was let down by BotW and Mario Odyssey.

The Premium model would thus likely be a pickup for me, exclusively for Nintendo games. I say this even with already having no time to play all the games I buy for PC and PS4, lol.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Having read the article, it's going to be funny if two sides have both their expectations failed.

One side being the Switch Mini with no Joy-Cons attached aka Nintendo handheld only Switch aka Nintendo creating a Vita handheld.

The other side thinking the Pro will bring 4K rendered games or have Big Boy Games released exclusively for the Switch Pro like how New Nintendo 3DS had exclusive games.

I'd say that's a given.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I thought the Switch pro wasn't happening in the end?
Interesting move if true, but obviously not much to say without any details. If the Switch Pro is a dsi level upgrade, not many people will care, and a cheaper switchwas always known, and teased by nintendo, but again, which compromises make it cheaper?

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i hope pro model won't be power upgrade, i don't want to pay for a better model to get better performance. also difference is going to be more noticeable on switch screen itself than Pro and X on 1080P TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.