• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I've played a lot of JRPGs, like Tales, Xenoblade, SMT, Final Fantasy... And I've been trying to get into WRPGs recently.

The games and series that I've been looking at:

- GreedFall
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Deus Ex

Any other recommendations, and would you recommend the ones that I've rattled off?

(Also, I didn't find either New Vegas, or The Witcher 3 interesting)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the ones you listed are pretty much the WRPG 101 itenerary (with exception of GreedFall). so i'd pick and choose one of those first and foremost

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Also, I didn't find either New Vegas interesting
Then there is no helping you heathen.

Seriously, if you don't like that, don't bother with the genre pretty much. Give Mass Effect 1-3 a try and if it still doesn't click, move on.

As for cRPGs (I don't know why you include them in the WRPG genre), Divinity Original 2 is the best of the past decade or so.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
All 3 shadow runs.
Disco elysium.

If you go mass and dragon age OP please note all dlcs are pretty much required for full payoff. Their pretty cheap now in bundles though.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great games to recommend to a JRPG fan because they nail the party focus that most western games lack.

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I tihnk the Mass Effect Trilogy would be a good place for a newcomer to start.

If you want something more along the lines of a PC-style WRPG: Skip Divinity: Original Sin and go right to Divinity: Original Sin II. It's pretty accessible and is fantastic, and the combat being pure turn-based rather than real-time would ease you in a lot better than, say, a Pillars of Eternity.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Divinity original sin II
Shadowrun Dragonfall & Hong Kong (don't play Hong Kong before Dragonfall, its hard to go back after the QoL features in Hong Kong)
Tyranny

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Anecdotal, but my friends who are mostly JRPG fans seem to 'take' most strongly to the Mass Effect trilogy. IMO, something about how the narrative plays out (very character-focused, Player-character isn't a blank slate, etc), strong 'party' dynamic, a combat system that isn't overly bogged down by dice rolls or underlying stats is a reason for that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Deus Ex is on your list, I can't recommend adding Prey 2017 enough. I think they're distinct enough from WRPGS though I get the association.

Also on your list, KOTOR is probably the best marriage of oldschool WRPGs and Newschool. Modern storytelling sensibility with older style combat in a way.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Mass Effect is fantastic, though pretty different from most others as a shooter, especially in ME2/3.

Dragon Age and Knights of the Old Republic are very good starter WRPGs and starter RTWP(real time w/ pause) games that you can then take into more hardcore and complex W/cRPGs like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mass effect is the best. Skip Andromeda though.
Divinity original sin 2
Elder Scrolls Skyrim of course

Witcher 3 is maybe the best wrpg ever so if you don't like that I'm not sure you'll like anything else haha.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (no joke).

From your list, Dragon Age is probably the gold standard.

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on what you are looking for.

Third person action - Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Third person shooter - Mass Effect trilogy
First person - Fallout New Vegas
Real time w/ pause - Pillars of Eternity 2, Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate 2
Turn based - Divinity Original Sin 2 or Shadowrun
Dialogue / story focus - Planescape Torment or Disco Elysium

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Dragon Age: Inquisition gets a bad rap. Playing it again recently since I want to finally see the Trespasser DLC and it's a really fun RPG. The combat is fun, lots of options to combo abilities. The characters are great. Lots of good storylines and lore in it. It's quite good looking. I think the amount of padding you can get stuck in really killed a lot of people's enjoyment. If you go in knowing that you should keep moving and not get side tracked by the billion things to do in each zone you'll have a good experience with it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Skyrim

People might consider it shallow, but there's no game that gives you the feeling you can go anywhere and do anything like Skyrim.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to Divinity, I'd recommend going straight into Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's just an overall much better game then Original Sin 1, and you will not be lost or anything either there's not really any connection to the first game.

The Elder Scrolls are good games to try, however if you didn't like New Vegas I'm not sure you'd like them as they play pretty similar in terms of structure/gameplay (but obviously a different setting).

Disco Elysium is a great new wrpg that focuses on narrative and story, a LOT of reading but if you don't mind that it might be up your alley.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Shadowrun: Returns. Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Seriously. They're freakin' awesome, have great gameplay, possess so much of what was great about oldschool WRPGs, without all of the jank. And they're like 75% off this weekend on Steam.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of the best games I've ever played, period. Buy it on your platform of choice, though I'll plug that the Switch version can sync with Steam saves and its fucking amazing.

Aug 28, 2019
Well that really depends on what kind of WRPG you want.

Might and Magic 3 through 8 (I recommend World of Xeen to start).
Wizardry 6, 7, 8.
The Bard's Tale remastered trilogy (DO NOT bother with BT4).
Temple of Elemental Evil.
Legend of Grimrock II.
Thunderscape.

But that's only if you're ready for some dedicated dungeon crawling. The Wizardry trilogy is by far the strongest of the above in terms of story, but completing all three is not a small feat.

If you want something more story-focused, try Fallout 1+2, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Deus Ex (the first one), or VtM: Bloodlines.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Origins is pretty much my gateway to WRPG as JRPG player who find the more classic WRPG to be super overwhelming.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I've played a lot of JRPGs, like Tales, Xenoblade, SMT, Final Fantasy... And I've been trying to get into WRPGs recently.

- GreedFall
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age
- Deus Ex

Any other recommendations, and would you recommend the ones that I've rattled off?

Play Knights of the Old Republic but PLEASE play Kotor 2. It's my favorite game ever especially with the restored content mod.

If you're willing to play older titles, Fallout 1 and 2 are great, I feel they hold up pretty well. Of course all those incredible infinity engine games. Baldur's Gate 2 at least since there's a Baldur's Gate 3 coming from Larian Studios.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
If you are looking at mainly more modern games I would say adding Prey + Mooncrash, Legend of Grimrock II or Shadowrun: Dragonfall to your list would be a good idea.

Can't go wrong with Divinity OS I or II either, but pretty much everything you have listed is a decent choice.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Shadowrun: Dragonfall has as much crossover appeal as any RPG in the last decade. It's got the focus on story and characters that people often associate with jRPGs. It's got the open-ended character building people associate with wRPGs. Combat is solid, XCOM-lite stuff. And it doesn't wear out its welcome at 18-20 hours. If you don't like Dragonfall, it may be tricky to find a subset of wRPGs you will like.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I didn't find the combat very interesting in either of them.

Gameplay, and story. If it's worth anything, I'm also a big fan of action games like Ninja Gaiden.
So you're looking for WRPGs with good combat, especially actioney. Tbh, it's gonna be a very short list.

Let's see... Kingdom of Amalur? I wouldn't really recommend it as everything outside the combat is meh, but that's it I guess.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Arcanum of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Gothic 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate II

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

- GreedFall
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age
- Deus Ex

Of the games you've listed, start with Mass Effect, and if you manage to power through all of the jank, be prepared for one of the greatest of all time WRPG experiences with the followup. If it matters, ragdolling enemies off of cliffs, or into space with biotics was a hell of a lot of fun at least in the first game. You basically get to play as a "space wizard" in that game, and it was the first time I felt like I was actually playing a force user, despite having already finished the KOTOR games.

Divinity: OS is a good game in its own right, but the sequel, which has a stand alone story is a huge improvement in most ways, and if you can only play one of them, play the second.

I don't honestly know what to say about Deus Ex either. The original is a fantastic game, but you might consider it way too dated, especially compared to Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (both of which are worth playing).

As already mentioned, Baldur's Gate 2 is very much worth playing, but it does have somewhat of a steep learning curve if you aren't used to those kinds of games by now.

Also, I don't know what your preferences are as far as gameplay vs exposition goes, but a great many seem to want to espouse Torment as the greatest of all time RPG, but I just can't agree. It has a great story, but you are more or less reading a visual novel. I would say that Baldur's Gate 2 is simply the much better game in just about every way.

Gameplay, and story. If it's worth anything, I'm also a big fan of action games like Ninja Gaiden.

Uh, there aren't really any "RPGs" that fit that bill TBH, and especially not one from a Western developer. The only games that I can think of that sound like that would be Nioh, Dragon's Dogma and basically all of the Souls games, but none of them are really "WPRGs". Hell, they are barely passable as "JRPGs".

If you did not like the combat in TW3 (I didn't either, and not because it was "too hard"), I don't think you'll like the combat in any WRPG that is in real-time.

Last edited:

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

If you like strategic turn based combat, Divinity is very good at that. If you want something more actiony (though very very different from Ninja Gaiden), Diablo 2 or 3 might be to your liking if you like loot.

Dan_P

Oct 27, 2017

- GreedFall
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age
- Deus Ex

Since you already have a list it's probably best to go with one of them since they already interest you. If you like jrpgs for their stories, the Bioware games are good starting points. They're not exactly the same thing (they're not anime like most jrpgs) but they combine mostly serious main stories with a lot of bad/cheesy writing in individual moments like the jrpgs you listed.

One thing I'd note that hasn't really been mentioned is that since most western rpgs have character creation for the main characters or entire parties, a lot of the fun in the games comes from making characters you like and watching them grow stronger over the course of the game. You'll have more fun if it's a game or setting where you're able to come up with good character ideas (not just stats but also having a headcanon around the character).

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've only played Dragon Age in your list, and I enjoyed Origins. I even enjoyed Inquisition for the most part.

If you're open to some older, isometric point and click games, I like to suggest the Infinity Engine games, specifically Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. The enhanced editions were recently ported to console, and have to say they were optimized for console really well. I'm currently playing them on Switch.

Brush up on some D&D 2e rules, and you'll be golden.

Skyrim is obviously a big one and easy enough, but I would also recommend Morrowind.