• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
congrats. Now don't let that momentum die.
When you get up tomorrow start thinking about what your next 100 words are, just keep plotting in the back of your head and focus hard on those, and when you have a chance sit down and write them.

before you know it you might do this
(my daily goal was 300, the left side is the date, the right side is how many words I got that day)
z3zM5CC.png

that gap from the 10th - 17th was because I had a horrible ear infection (to the point where my ear drum ruptured and I had blood dripping down the side of my face) and they misdiagnosed it at first (thinking it was an outer when it was an inner so the drops they gave me weren't helping at all) so I was out of commission for 3 days before I finally got on the right meds, and then took a few more days to recover as even though the pain was going away it still made it nearly impossible to plan lol.

Bruh what were you taking on the 21st lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh what were you taking on the 21st lol
Heh >.> Some days you get in a groove with ideas and just keep going.

time for me to gloat a bit with this.
this is the table for my nano 2017 project... well projects. I was crazy and decided to do two projects at once because thanks to my daily writing I managed to get to 50k in Oct so I figured Nano wasn't a good enough push

BYAPbpT.png

so the two rows are two different projects, and the 4th column is the total for the day with both of them added together.
so yeah >.>
and no I haven't touched those numbers again.
my high score for 2018 was 4319 and so far this year is 3568.

but yeah after I aimed for 300 words a day and got in a groove I discovered it wasn't that hard, so I decided to up it to 900.
and then a few months after that I upped it to 1000.
but from oct 1st 2017 until jun 2nd 2018 I wrote at least 900 words a day without fail.
Since sept 2017, until this month i have averaged 1k words a day. in fact this year I'm aiming for a 1.1k a day average per month (I need 22 more words this month to reach it for the 4th month in a row this year)

It's part of the reason I stress daily words. It might not work for everyone, but getting in that habit really helped me. I tend to plot about 1k words into the future and from there get it out each day even if I don't feel like it. A lot of times once I actually start even if I feel like the words won't come out, they start coming out and then flow decently. My story likely isn't great, but I at least have a solid basis for a story that I can fix later, and that is way way more than having nothing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hit a slump today but still managed a small amount of words, even though I wasn't really feeling up to it.

Tried reading Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and god almighty I just cannot focus when I read a book. I get distracted by anything and everything. Dunno if it's me again or just the book since this year I've read about three books thus far, but I'll keep at it for a while longer.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hit a slump today but still managed a small amount of words, even though I wasn't really feeling up to it.

Tried reading Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and god almighty I just cannot focus when I read a book. I get distracted by anything and everything. Dunno if it's me again or just the book since this year I've read about three books thus far, but I'll keep at it for a while longer.
Just keep on keeping on! If it helps, start small and read a book for young children like Charlotte's Web.

Oct 25, 2017

I run into that problem a lot. Usually when I'm out of the reading flow I try to go for pretty simple written books that I could probably breaze through and work my way up to stuff thats a bit thiccccccer in prose and content. Incidently I have no idea where Neal Stephenson falls in that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I run into that problem a lot. Usually when I'm out of the reading flow I try to go for pretty simple written books that I could probably breaze through and work my way up to stuff thats a bit thiccccccer in prose and content. Incidently I have no idea where Neal Stephenson falls in that.

I like Snow Crash but it still flies over my head so maybe this just isn't my cup of tea. Not having Hiro Protagonist, world's greatest pizza delvery man, and Y.T. sure isn't helping.

I think it's like, I want to be a writer right? And how can I be a writer if I barely read books? That's like Stephen Kng's biggest tip on writing.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's like, I want to be a writer right? And how can I be a writer if I barely read books? That's like Stephen Kng's biggest tip on writing.

I feel the same way! I always want to read more but i'm just so bad at it! And I know that when i do read more regularly, my writing tends to get a lot better too. I'm just bad at being consistent. Honestly my work around has usually been reading short stories. You can cherry pick them, and you'll get the satisfaction of finishing something and thinking about it. Outside of that, I've actually been trying to go into books with the same mentality I have with games and tv shows: Just gotta sit down and put my time in.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way! I always want to read more but i'm just so bad at it! And I know that when i do read more regularly, my writing tends to get a lot better too. I'm just bad at being consistent. Honestly my work around has usually been reading short stories. You can cherry pick them, and you'll get the satisfaction of finishing something and thinking about it. Outside of that, I've actually been trying to go into books with the same mentality I have with games and tv shows: Just gotta sit down and put my time in.

I guess it's like, I view reading books as an obligation to be fulfilled rather than a hobby for enjoyment. I got some manga today and totally devoured it, but then I only read about 20 pages of Diamond Age and all the while I was tuning out.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's like, I view reading books as an obligation to be fulfilled rather than a hobby for enjoyment. I got some manga today and totally devoured it, but then I only read about 20 pages of Diamond Age and all the while I was tuning out.

That's exactly it. I feel like for a lot of people, they think you have to read books and don't realize if you don't enjoy a book you can stop. What did you enjoy about the manga? Try to find the book equivalent of some of the ideas. That's another reason i like short stories, they're pretty easy gateways to help you learn what kind of stuff you actually enjoy reading. For example, I got recommended Escape from the Spiderhead forever ago and it helped me realize just how much I liked speculative fiction.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly it. I feel like for a lot of people, they think you have to read books and don't realize if you don't enjoy a book you can stop. What did you enjoy about the manga? Try to find the book equivalent of some of the ideas. That's another reason i like short stories, they're pretty easy gateways to help you learn what kind of stuff you actually enjoy reading. For example, I got recommended Escape from the Spiderhead forever ago and it helped me realize just how much I liked speculative fiction.

My favourite book is John Dies At The End so I'm big into comedy books, or at least ooks with lots of jokes like Yahtzee Croshaw's Mogworld and Will Save the Galaxy for Food, and the Dresden Files. Those I can read with no problem, but I need to broaden my horizons don't I?

Reading Diamond Age right now, like it's unfair to only judge the first 50-odd pages but nothing's really happened yet. Just a bunch of technobabble and worldbuilding. I feel like stopping but it's like I'm letting myself down as an aspiring writer.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading Diamond Age right now, like it's unfair to only judge the first 50-odd pages but nothing's really happened yet. Just a bunch of technobabble and worldbuilding. I feel like stopping but it's like I'm letting myself down as an aspiring writer.
Have you learned anything about beginning a complex story with world-building and technobabble? Would your own story construction differ from this one?

The point of reading is to take something away. If you do that, your time wasn't wasted.

And if you don't enjoy the book, maybe you need recommendations that cater to your personal taste. What media DO you really enjoy, and why?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's a new month which means new sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7MN6BfjyAw4ouC02ClpRI8GyY/edit#gid=1413461202

feel free to join DTL and myself in tracking our daily progress. I recommend a modest 10k goal for the month.

Also the monthly reminder.
BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS!!!!

I hope everyone had a good month of writing or if not will have a good one this one.
I like usual got my monthly goals done, but failed at doing anything beyond that which I wanted to do.
I almost entered a CWC, but alas Mike didn't go with the fanfiction idea that the others were throwing around so my idea was useless so I didn't enter that. Maybe this month, but at the same time my monthly writing is already consuming a ton of time due to how complicated it has become.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, do you? If you're not enjoying what you're reading then are they horizons you really want to broaden to?

I guess. I just feel like it's something wrong on my part if I'm dropping the book.

I tried reading Diamond Age while waiting for an appointment and I had to stop so I guess it's not just having a poor attention span lol. Gonna move onto Perdidot Street Station soon enough.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I guess. I just feel like it's something wrong on my part if I'm dropping the book.

I tried reading Diamond Age while waiting for an appointment and I had to stop so I guess it's not just having a poor attention span lol. Gonna move onto Perdidot Street Station soon enough.
Not everyone has the same tastes in things. If we move outside the realm of books and into the realm of video games (as we are a video game forum after all) You will see a ton of praise for games like Breath of the Wild, or Grand Theft Auto 5, or Dark Souls, or Cuphead ect. But odds are at least one of those doesn't appeal to you despite them being highly praised in general.
There's nothing wrong with that, and I would imagine if you were going to make a video game, and you hated one of those, you wouldn't aim to make a game like it. You instead would want to make a game similar to something you love (or something you want to play that you can't)

Reading and writing is basically the same. There are things you will enjoy, things you won't, and even if they are praised you don't have to force yourself to read things. It doesn't hurt to check them out from time to time to see if your feelings have changed or if something will click, but there is no need to force yourself through something you aren't enjoying. It's a good way to burn yourself out in general.

Basically, read, and yes expand your horizons some, but they don't have to be drastic expansions. If you say like fantasy and realize one of the reasons you like a book is because they have an interesting magic system that is well detailed and thought out, then perhaps you try a science fiction book with focus on doing the same with technology and see how that appeals. You don't need to make huge jumps, but just branch out.

Also remember that while books are the best thing to consume to get better at writing and learn how to present ideas, there are plenty of places you can get ideas from. Don't be afraid to branch out by playing a video game with a story you wouldn't normally enjoy and trying to pick up elements from that and what not.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad I couldnt meet my camp nano goal (was 50K then went to 40K, ultimately, only finished at 30K).Did close to 50K for the month in total though since I did write like three chapters of another two stories during that time + a Shield Hero fanfic which is well on its way to becoming one of my most clicked on fanfics, oddly.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only clocked in 232 words today. Kinda sad about it after a long 2 week stretch where I've broke over 1000 words every day. I'm on a mew anxiety medication and my energy levels have dropped tremendously today so I hope it's not the case tomorrow as I really want to keep up the pace for the new month.

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time in two years I have a book on submission. I thought I was going to be super chill this time but I'm already stressing out.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time in two years I have a book on submission. I thought I was going to be super chill this time but I'm already stressing out.

Good luck with that! How'd you set up your responses? Is your agent just sending you results as they come in, or did you make special arrangements? I know one writer who asked her agent to only send her the rejections on Friday, so she'd have a clear head throughout the rest of the week, and only get upset when had the time she could afford to do so.

My agent doesn't really bother with that. She just bombs me whenever an answer comes in.

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with that! How'd you set up your responses? Is your agent just sending you results as they come in, or did you make special arrangements? I know one writer who asked her agent to only send her the rejections on Friday, so she'd have a clear head throughout the rest of the week, and only get upset when had the time she could afford to do so.

My agent doesn't really bother with that. She just bombs me whenever an answer comes in.
Nothing fancy, I just want them when they come in. I'm always in a state of being upset so a delay probably won't do much.

Though based on the speed of publishing, I figure they're probably a few days old. :o

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This thread suddenly got intimidating with all you people with agents talking :P
you could almost say I'm thunderstuck by you two

I also might have just wanted to mention it's a solid version of the song to write to :P

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
This thread suddenly got intimidating with all you people with agents talking :P
you could almost say I'm thunderstuck by you two

I also might have just wanted to mention it's a solid version of the song to write to :P

Everybody's at different stages of the journey. And some of us have been at it for a while, which is either testament to stubbornness, or a sign that we probably should have quit long ago, but didn't have the good sense to.

I've actually been at this since the 90s, so I'm definitely not a great example to follow, compared to some writers that get an agent within their first year or five of submitting. Or the others that hit it big by bypassing trade publishing entirely and going with self-publishing instead.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I wrote a blog post for the company I work for, and it is now on their website. Not the firs time they've paid me to write, but the first external document that anyone can see. Normally it's training documents or scripts for training videos. Pretty cool!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a blog post for the company I work for, and it is now on their website. Not the firs time they've paid me to write, but the first external document that anyone can see. Normally it's training documents or scripts for training videos. Pretty cool!
nicely done.
Best my writing skills have ever gotten me was a review copy of witcher 2 on the 360 :P

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of small time writing jobs, I am interested in doing this but having a hard time getting my foot in the door. I thought about starting my own blog for a while but the time investment with no return is not something I can afford to do atm. I've checked some job sites and applied and barely ever get a response, but the one time I did get a good response it just ended up going no where. And I thought I was actually gonna get something somewhat steady and the guy just stopped communicating.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, character outline question here.

I know the basics of how to create a character profile; but I want to create an Excel file as my character profile bible. Anyone have recommendations for templates or outlines of the best questions? I want to be more than bare bones; but I also don't want to get dragged down in pointless trivia when trying to get to the meat & potatoes.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I know the basics of how to create a character profile; but I want to create an Excel file as my character profile bible. Anyone have recommendations for templates or outlines of the best questions? I want to be more than bare bones; but I also don't want to get dragged down in pointless trivia when trying to get to the meat & potatoes.

I don't actually use it myself, since I'm a bit of a minimalist, but if you want something that caters specifically to writers, especially something like character profiles, have you thought about using Scrivener? It actually has a character profile tool that has added features like a "corkboard" for putting up pictures and imagery, associated with your character, as well as a letting you throw in all the details you want.

And of course, it's dedicated novel writing software, so you can use it for that as well.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually use it myself, since I'm a bit of a minimalist, but if you want something that caters specifically to writers, especially something like character profiles, have you thought about using Scrivener? It actually has a character profile tool that has added features like a "corkboard" for putting up pictures and imagery, associated with your character, as well as a letting you throw in all the details you want.

And of course, it's dedicated novel writing software, so you can use it for that as well.
I actually use this. Scrivener has been awesome in that regard. Before, I had to use Word to write my character profiles; obviously it wasn't so good. With Scrivener, it is more easy to separate characters in different folders and find them.

Heya! Long time no write, and heads up for a potential mini-writing challenge with the chance of being 'published' if anyone's interested. As I posted in the Discord, it's for the Magnus Archives (horror podcast), and it's a short story submission with the theme "Urban Legends."

Rusty Fears 2 – Fear More!

If you get picked, they'll read your story on the show with all the production bells and whistles. They're a really, really good podcast with great VA and lots of eyes. Seems like an easy challenge (1000-2500 words) for anyone looking to rev their creative engine too. Think I'm going to give it a go, but thought I'd share it here too.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Heya! Long time no write, and heads up for a potential mini-writing challenge with the chance of being 'published' if anyone's interested. As I posted in the Discord, it's for the Magnus Archives (horror podcast), and it's a short story submission with the theme "Urban Legends."

If you get picked, they'll read your story on the show with all the production bells and whistles. They're a really, really good podcast with great VA and lots of eyes. Seems like an easy challenge (1000-2500 words) for anyone looking to rev their creative engine too. Think I'm going to give it a go, but thought I'd share it here too.
Short stories aren't really my forte either, but I'll see if I can come up with anything for this. Thanks for posting it!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could wrap my head around short stories. I'm really jealous of people who can write them.

It's good practice. I've actually used short stories a couple of times as "trial runs" to put characters through their paces and see whether or not they're worth writing a whole book about. The book coming out next year, and the book currently on sub both had their start as short story "auditions." If you just approach a short story as a self-contained chapter that tends to make pacing it easier, if that's where your challenges lie.

Oct 27, 2017
It's good practice. I've actually used short stories a couple of times as "trial runs" to put characters through their paces and see whether or not they're worth writing a whole book about. The book coming out next year, and the book currently on sub both had their start as short story "auditions." If you just approach a short story as a self-contained chapter that tends to make pacing it easier, if that's where your challenges lie.
Part of my issue is motivation, since I feel like there's zero chance of them ever being published, so I tend to focus on books, which have a 2-5% chance of going somewhere.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Part of my issue is motivation, since I feel like there's zero chance of them ever being published, so I tend to focus on books, which have a 2-5% chance of going somewhere.
So, I'm not a huge fan of the short story either, but I have discovered that they aren't a bad thing to practice for new characters in your book.

I've found taking what I've learned from CWC and applying it to things like character backstories (that likely won't even make it in the book) is helpful in defining characters and figuring out their motivations and life goals and what not. But alas I'm more of a pantser than a planner.

I also from time to time want a bit of a spacer between conflicts, so a short 2-3k word side story between two major conflicts can be useful at times.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

That's fair. I have to admit, putting yourself through the submission grinder can be daunting, especially if you're already babysitting books that actually need to be written for publication. The last short story I wrote was two years ago, the only reason I wrote it was because I had been invited to submit to an anthology, so I already had the security of knowing it was going to be published.

Oct 25, 2017

Coming late to this, but with excel, I think the best thing to do is get stuff you'd want as reminders when writing; two or three questions about their appearance, a few words to summarize their personality/motivations, maybe a defining quote? I find that excel works best when you keep it short and simple, long character explanations dont really work as well.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give it a try.

Just drafted my idea for the contest, and I'll bang it out tonight to see if it works. Hope to see a few more in here give it a go!

Short stories aren't really my forte either, but I'll see if I can come up with anything for this. Thanks for posting it!

No problem! I thought it might motivate people (myself included) to try something different, put yourself out there/submit something, and complete something for a change. A lot of us are writing/editing books or vague projects and it's easy to just plod around in the mire, inching forward. A short project with a deadline and a carrot at the end might be just the thing!

That's why this little submission is great! Super short, might get you out of your comfort zone and open new doors creatively speaking, all with a much, much higher chance of being published than almost anything else. No doubt they'll get at least 100 submissions, but of those could be yours, and that's not a bad place to be for only 1000-2500 words.

Coming late to this, but with excel, I think the best thing to do is get stuff you'd want as reminders when writing; two or three questions about their appearance, a few words to summarize their personality/motivations, maybe a defining quote? I find that excel works best when you keep it short and simple, long character explanations dont really work as well.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give it a try.

If you win, you better promise to own up to it! :)

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm writing a story that's about the origin story of Google Blob emojis,

happy-person-raising-one-hand_1f64b.png

Would I need to consult with Google regarding the rights to blobs considering that they're discontinued?

DragonElm

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Hey guys, first time writer here..I know this is a personal question, but how do you guys plot out your story? And then decide on the pace? I've been trying to write forever and I can always write starts and middles but I can never seem to complete a story or decide on how to significantly move the plot.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Hey guys, first time writer here..I know this is a personal question, but how do you guys plot out your story? And then decide on the pace? I've been trying to write forever and I can always write starts and middles but I can never seem to complete a story or decide on how to significantly move the plot.
Having your ending down before you start is a good idea - even if you don't know the exact way to get there, you'll at least have a goal in mind when you're writing. I've always known how each of my stories ends before I get far into writing them.

Otherwise there are two schools of writing plot: making it up as you go along and outlining it all in advance. I've had success with both, but if you're struggling with pacing I'd suggest writing a short chapter-by-chapter outline - give each chapter a few short sentences to describe what needs to happen in it, and have every chapter either move the plot forward or introduce a significant obstacle of some kind. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule but it's a good starting point.
Also try to give all of your major characters goals or personal wants of their own. If you're short on ideas at any point you can then fall back on those.

I was put off by the jumbled order of information and screenshots at first, but...yep. That's a Jesus effin' Christ from me too.

Even his blurb is amazing. Here's just a snippet:

"Hell's Shadows (one of three high-concept works of eerie fiction by this author) is a wild story of the most haunted house of all time, a house so dangerous that nearly an entire police force is wiped out by the creatures within it. And even that is not the worst of it. An utterly entertaining, immensely spooky and distinctly complex tale, Hell's Shadows takes the genre to an entirely new level of sophistication. And though set in modern time, the evil in motion today began almost two centuries ago. "

Not light on praising himself, is he?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I was put off by the jumbled order of information and screenshots at first, but...yep. That's a Jesus effin' Christ from me too.

Even his blurb is amazing. Here's just a snippet:

"Hell's Shadows (one of three high-concept works of eerie fiction by this author) is a wild story of the most haunted house of all time, a house so dangerous that nearly an entire police force is wiped out by the creatures within it. And even that is not the worst of it. An utterly entertaining, immensely spooky and distinctly complex tale, Hell's Shadows takes the genre to an entirely new level of sophistication. And though set in modern time, the evil in motion today began almost two centuries ago. "

Not light on praising himself, is he?
I started reading that thinking "well, the author isn't wrong", but as I was scrolling I was like "Oh... Dude, pls, stop! Oh my God... OH MY GOD! DUDE, SHUT THE F* UP! How can you be so dumb?!". Imagine having that ego...