• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a general PSA, that if you use 2FA for accounts from your phone on Google Authenticator, make sure to write down your back-up codes and store them somewhere safe.

Today I was having some crashes and security issues with my phone which led to it being factory reset. This caused me to lose not only my current Google Authenticator accounts, but also anything from my photos gallery that could've helped me in password recovery. With Google Authenticator, I found out that even if I mange to redownload the app on the same phone and under the same Google account, the keys for my accounts are forever lost.

I was at least smart enough to write down a backup password in the past for some accounts like Steam, but in the case of Discord I was foolish to leave myself with no way in. I'm emailing their support team to see if it can be fixed, but from their FAQ page it sounds like that account is forever locked.

Anyways, I hope that my mistakes here at least helps out some other members with this in the future.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Good to know. I'll have to store them somewhere, especially since I'm getting a new phone soon.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard of this catastrophic meltdown regarding "Google Authenticator"

What exactly is it, and why do people use it over having text messages?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Discord support got back with me and said that they wouldn't be able to remove the 2FA from my account. :(

Thankfully, I can authorize them to permanently delete that account from my email, so I can re-register without having to make a new email address.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The utility Authy lets you store codes to your account, not locked to a device, unlike Google Authenticator. Still a good idea to back up.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The utility Authy lets you store codes to your account, not locked to a device, unlike Google Authenticator. Still a good idea to back up.

Yeah I heard about Authy when I was searching online for a way back in. I'm definitely going to use that rather than try it with Google Authenticator again.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You saved me a post. Authy's great. It even has a Windows desktop app!

Regarding 2FA backup codes, I note them in my password program to prevent stuff like what happened to the OP. At least it's fixable in this case! ..even if the account has to be recreated.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use Microsoft Authenticator which allows you to store your backup in the cloud with a Microsoft account.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I changed phone number and cancelled my old account prior to removing 2fa on yahoo and google and thought I'd lost my accounts forever. Luckily both customer services unlocked them for me.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I was locked out of my Ubisoft account because I had changed phones and the google Authenticator stopped working.

I had to create a new account just to play a Ubisoft game. I eventually was able to morph the two together.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should be using Bitwarden and a 2FA app that allows push notifications for secure logins. DUO is my preferred. Using SMS puts you at risk.

Oct 25, 2017
I was locked out of my Ubisoft account because I had changed phones and the google Authenticator stopped working.

I had to create a new account just to play a Ubisoft game. I eventually was able to morph the two together.

That happened to me but the Ubi's online support worked with me and removed the 2fa so I could log back in.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst are those crappy sites that only do 2FA through SMS. No way to use Authy or something that's actually secure. I think Sony's like that with the PSN store.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
You should be using Bitwarden and a 2FA app that allows push notifications for secure logins. DUO is my preferred. Using SMS puts you at risk.
Duo on iOS has pretty bad reviews. Still worth checking out? I'm fully invested in BitWarden but currently tied to Google Auth except for work stuff which I have to use Microsoft for.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if my memory is wrong here...can't you just have a backup second email address on your Google account and therefore Authenticator as well for disaster recovery?

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I ditched Google Authenticator and went with Authy because of this a few years — it's synced betwen my phone and iPad.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Google Authenticator having no way of backing up is an actual big problem.

But backing up can expose it to massive problems.

The internet is a fucking, goddamn shitshow.

Deleted member 7373

Scan the QR code onto two devices. I do this for my google auth codes.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Duo on iOS has pretty bad reviews. Still worth checking out? I'm fully invested in BitWarden but currently tied to Google Auth except for work stuff which I have to use Microsoft for.

We use DUO at an enterprise level and as someone who came from google authentication and MS's solution, I will swear by it. Just glossing over some of the reviews on the App Store makes it seem like people are not too happy about using 2FA or forget that using 2FA makes getting a new device hard if you don't think ahead.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, learned my lesson the hard way when I forgot to turn 2FA off when I switched to my new phone. Keep back up folks!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I moved all of my Google Authenticator accounts over to Authy a little while ago. Backup codes in a password manager. Made the move to my phone upgrade a breeze. Probably the best thing to do is you're still on Google Auth.

Just wish the services that still use only SMS would get with the times. There's also one specific account that will not allow you to use anything but their own authenticator app. I'm looking at you, Square Enix.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
After recently moving and having no access to my old phone number and then Google Auth. instance on my phone, I basically disabled like every 2FA option on every site. Something like Authy rather than Google Auth would have helped since it apparently has a backup but the hassle otherwise is too annoying.

Slightly less secure but at the same time I feel like whether or not you have 2FA enabled, sites are pretty diligent about emailing / texting you about suspicious login attempts.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I moved all of my Google Authenticator accounts over to Authy a little while ago. Backup codes in a password manager. Made the move to my phone upgrade a breeze. Probably the best thing to do is you're still on Google Auth.

Just wish the services that still use only SMS would get with the times. There's also one specific account that will not allow you to use anything but their own authenticator app. I'm looking at you, Square Enix.
What's a good password manager these days?

sca

Oct 25, 2017
You can also take screenshots/pictures of your 2FA QR codes and back it up elsewhere

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i reckoned OP is using IOS and not android?

The authenticator way is outdated...google's using 2-step verification since 2016.

i.e. after signing in with your google user name and password, instead entering the code generated by authenticator, a prompt will popped up on your 'approved' android device to accept or reject the authentication.

That's being said, yes....it's still essential to keep a copy of the backup codes.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017

Exact same thing happened to me and I just ended up abandoning my old account, which I think only had Splinter Cell Blacklist on there. Made a new account to play Assassin's Creed Origins. Was it much messing round to merge the accounts? I might fancy finishing Splinter Cell one day if not.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We use DUO at an enterprise level and as someone who came from google authentication and MS's solution, I will swear by it. Just glossing over some of the reviews on the App Store makes it seem like people are not too happy about using 2FA or forget that using 2FA makes getting a new device hard if you don't think ahead.
Yep, use Duo for work and it's a breeze.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Exact same thing happened to me and I just ended up abandoning my old account, which I think only had Splinter Cell Blacklist on there. Made a new account to play Assassin's Creed Origins. Was it much messing round to merge the accounts? I might fancy finishing Splinter Cell one day if not.

No, it wasn't difficult at all. The Ubisoft rep was pretty awesome and understanding of the situation. He quickly merged all of my games on both accounts and warned me that doing so would lose my division 1 saves. I was only a few hours in so it didn't bother me much.

But yeah, contact Ubisoft and they'll fix it for you.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Funny story: 2FA protected jack shit when someone social engineered into my Chase account and cashed out over $900 in Amazon points.

Chase restored it, and we set a third authentication layer, so it's all good now.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So how does this work if you're using 2FA for your gmail account and switch devices?

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Or stop using the shitty Google App. I use Lastpass Authenticator and WinAuth.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
1Password will also work as an authenticator and store the codes in the cloud.