• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The "raise unconscious wrestler's hand and drop it 3 times" is definitely the dumbest of all pro wrestling rules. The person is out cold in a submission hold, yet comes to life by pure will to stop their hand from dropping a third time.

I am very happy that AEW for instance by-in-large calls for the bell immediately if a wrestler goes "unconscious" during a submission. No hand drops. Match is just over.

They will still randomly do the three hand drops thing in a match every now and then. Thankfully it's rare.
I know it's dumb, but I always loved the 3 hand drop thing. As a kid I'd always pop huge when the hand dropped halfway on the 3rd drop and the guy started their fiery comeback. That shit was rad!
I also simultaneously like and hate wrestlers being in deadly submission holds for long periods of time, fighting towards the ropes, desperately trying to get out etc. There's a line though, and I remember the Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund title match went all the way over that line with Bret being stuck in the crossface chicken wing for an ETERNITY. Before that the move was deadly, nasty, and finished matches quickly. Then Bret sits in it for about 17 years while they do the whole drama shtick with Bulldog getting knocked out and Owen Hart convincing his mum to throw in the towel etc.

Part of me wants a locked in submission to be an instant tap out to really put them over, but I think I'd miss the imagery of wrestlers fighting in the hold to get out. The finish of Austin vs Bret at Wrestlemania 13 was AMAZING thanks to how long Austin was fighting a move off. If he tapped quick, it wouldn't have been the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It also means you won it 10 times...you can't really ignore that part. Winning a title and losing it is better than not winning it at all.

Right, but winning a title and holding it longer is better. So if you win a title 10 times in the span of a year, that's impressive, but not as impressive as if you held it in one title reign for that same period of time.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Right, but winning a title and holding it longer is better. So if you win a title 10 times in the span of a year, that's impressive, but not as impressive as if you held it in one title reign for that same period of time.
There's something to be said about beating a variety of different opponents, or being a fighting champion and defending more often leading to more losses, but I get what you mean now.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I think it would add a nice strategy for in ring storytelling. A strategy can be trying to knockout your opponent outside the ring. I dig it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
isn't this why they got falls count anywhere, no count out, cage, etc match type gimmicks?
on the video games I would always set it up to be able to go out of the ring in title matches with no rules and beat the shit outta the opponent with a chair

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
how else are cage and hell in a cell matches gonna get booked in the PPV

OP is a jobber booker, wouldn't last a day in the north east territory šŸ˜¤

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
c

View: https://youtu.be/VzwsSiRZn1U
youtu.be

Lex Luger 3rd WWE Theme

Lex Luger 3rd WWE Theme Made In The USA By Jim Johnston(93 -94)All Rights To WWE No Copyright Intended, Enjoy

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because when the heel starts walking to the back, the good guy commissioner can come out mid-way and declare it a no-DQ Falls Count Anywhere Match.

Nov 3, 2021
If anything, fake wrestling should add more and more dumb rules, so that they can have some guy whose gimmick is that he exploits the rules cleverly. But maybe they have already done that one, I wouldn't know.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
If you really want the belt to be properly contested then let me introduce you to the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship.

Wikipedia said:
As of June 1, 2022, there have been 1,550 officially recognized reigns between 392 different human individuals, 7 teams and 44 inanimate objects and animals. The record for most reigns is held by Shinobu, who won it 216 times, including by trading the title back-and-forth with 215-time championYuko Miyamoto, a total of 303 times on the same night. Danshoku Dino holds the record for longest combined reign with at least 448 days and counting (the exact date of when he won his tenth title is uncertain). Masa Takanashi's sixth reign is the longest singular reign at 333 days. Only 147 individuals have held the title for longer than a day. The title has occasionally been won by unusual means, such as an auction for the belt, rock-paper-scissors, and even a title change that occurred in a dream.

The separate Wikipedia entry listing the Ironman Heavymetalweight Champions is a delightful read.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
If anything, fake wrestling should add more and more dumb rules, so that they can have some guy whose gimmick is that he exploits the rules cleverly. But maybe they have already done that one, I wouldn't know.
There was an Era where throwing someone over the top rope was a DQ. Jumping off the top rope was a DQ.

And that one promotion that decided to have 3-minute rounds.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
It also means you won it 10 times...you can't really ignore that part. Winning a title and losing it is better than not winning it at all.

Winning a Title and not losing it in 2 years is a greater acomplishement than winning the same title 10 times in the same timelapse. But wrestling promotion make their audience think the later is bigger than the former.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
When WCW vs NWO World Tour was on the N64, my brother and I got the tag team titles in the game. And that was how we held on to them for so long. One of us would throw the active wrestler out of the ring, the other would beat him up with the count was going. Count out - victory - kept the titles

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
President Jack Tunney comes out and declares, that "The match...must continue!"

/Coward champion shocked face

I'm pretty sure plenty of champions tried this shit and the opponent would just run out and grab them back in.