• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ralph should have

• wrecked it

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • lived with it

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
These guys treated him like shit for 30 years. And even at the end it's just "hey, we'll treat you nice now that you did something for us" and not "Wow, we were the baddies"

dance-dancing.gif

He should have sent those nicelander assholes into oblivion.
S7oB4yI.jpg

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You guys think there is something worth examining about the idea that so much media criticism comes down to "This is not morally right by my standards"?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
One of the most disappointing movies I've seen, I was so hyped for the first movie leading up to release.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
You guys think there is something worth examining about the idea that so much media criticism comes down to "This is not morally right by my standards"?

I mean if you do a theater run of Les Miserables for a few decades, you don't get off work and keep treating the dude who played Javert like shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Still Disney's best CG film imo. There's hardly a flaw to be found and the story is airtight. Zootopia close behind.
what did ralph do again? i watched but forgot most of the movie.
At this point in the movie he realized that Felix was having an anniversary party without having invited him. He forces his way in awkwardly and they treat him like shit, pushing Ralph to lose his cool and smash the cake. He vows to earn a medal to prove to them he's not a "bad guy".

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the movie made it clear that they were all playing a part and knew it and they still treated him like crap. The only negative thing he does is get "too" mad when everyone is a dick to him, and he punches the cake. Boo hoo.

Bad people in that game.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still Disney's best CG film imo. There's hardly a flaw to be found and the story is airtight. Zootopia close behind.
At this point in the movie he realized that Felix was having an anniversary party without having invited him. He forces his way in awkwardly and they treat him like shit, pushing Ralph to lose his cool and smash the cake. He vows to earn a medal to prove to them he's not a "bad guy".
you like it better than tangled? that to me continues being their best cg movie.

Oct 25, 2017
you like it better than tangled? that to me continues being their best cg movie.
Oh yeah, I did like Tangled a lot, but it did feel like it tread a lot of familiar ground that the 2D movies had covered, where as Ralph really felt like a fresher story (which ironically is based on a nostalgic era of gaming).

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
He said he was gonna wreck it, and then proceeded to wreck it.

They were warned.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going into this I thought this was about to be about how he was clingy af in regards to Penelope in the 2nd movie lol

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with that moral logic. But what makes it imperative see it reflected in our fiction?
It doesn't. I still love the movie, and think it's a lot of fun. But it kind of changes how it comes across when you do look at it through a real moral filter and I think it's fun to discuss.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It was a mutual lesson-learning.

Ralph learned that he didn't need to change his lot in life to be happy.

Felix and the citizens learned that Ralph's just as important as they are.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I mean Ralph is an impulsive man child prone to fits of rage but he has a heart at least unlike the other peeps in his game.

But the 2nd movie makes it clear- dude is a bit of a git

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Its so dumb, like Ralph "wrecking stuff" is literally part of his job and is a vital component

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The citizens there losing their shit when Ralph didn't show up the next morning after the party to DO HIS JOB to keep them afloat was so satisfying.

Then later in the movie when he does return that hotel owner or whoever STILL gives him shit and blames him for all their woes. Like bruh, no self-reflection that you all chased him off?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Was Ralph mistreated? No doubt. King Candy and the villagers were outright malicious, while Ralph was mostly good-natured.

But that doesn't mean he did nothing wrong. He invaded Hero's Duty and fucked up a girl's playthrough, then unleashed deadly alien bugs into Sugar Rush that nearly bricked the cabinet. Oh, and he also destroyed Vanellope's kart while she watched, crying. Probably more: this is just what I can recall.

Dude's a hothead, a dunce and a klutz. I feel for him, but to say he did nothing wrong is just nonsense. Even good guys make mistakes, yeah?

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I hate all the nicelanders and Felix. They are complete assholes, even at the end. I mean, Ralph did fuck up by "going Turbo", but mostly by affecting Sugar Rush. All the people in Fix It Felix deserved whatever they get; it was a pity they got saved, really.

It always marred the film for me.

Then later in the movie when he does return that hotel owner or whoever STILL gives him shit and blames him for all their woes. Like bruh, no self-reflection that you all chased him off?
Right? Wow that scene annoys me. What a smug prick.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
A less extreme version of this also happened to Mirabel in Encanto.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I will never watch the 1st movie cause it made Zangief a villain.
2nd movie sucked.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever make a movie, I will have a minor character that's just like a nice background character you see every so often, one that's just a sort of friendly face for the protagonist without really having a big relationship with them or role in the plot.

Then I will have that character murder someone in full view of the protagonists and the supporting cast. It will be a minor character, no one the audience knows and isn't really relevant to the story. Maybe relevant thematically, if they're lucky, but otherwise, nothing.

Then the rest of the movie will continue without commentary on the murder. The background character will still be that smiling, friendly, wholesome presence that the protagonist throws a line once in a while, as normal.

And then I will watch in satisfaction as I see the think pieces of "Someone should have done something about that one background character, because murder is bad" roll in.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If I ever make a movie, I will have a minor character that's just like a nice background character you see every so often, one that's just a sort of friendly face for the protagonist without really having a big relationship with them or role in the plot.

Then I will have that character murder someone in full view of the protagonists and the supporting cast. It will be a minor character, no one the audience knows and isn't really relevant to the story. Maybe relevant thematically, if they're lucky, but otherwise, nothing.

Then the rest of the movie will continue without commentary on the murder. The background character will still be that smiling, friendly, wholesome presence that the protagonist throws a line once in a while, as normal.

And then I will watch in satisfaction as I see the think pieces of "Someone should have done something about that one background character, because murder is bad" roll in.
ok