• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Just grabbed a copy of this for 15€, excited to try it out on PS5. Haven't played a rally game in a loooong time.

Any basic tips or things I should know beford diving in?
I found this useful from OP:

id start with the goal of listening to and trusting the co-driver calls and what they mean. you can roughly use the numbers he says for a corner as what gear you could potentially take the turn in. a 6 means you *could* take the corner at 6th gear speeds (but not necessarily "flat out" / full throttle).

listen carefully for corners that tighten, especially if it tightens into a new number like "4 right tightens to 2".

"stay middle/right/left over crests" can be some of the most challenging calls as they are often at high speeds - they are telling you where in the road you should be not that the road necessarily turns (that would be "crest into right/left")

start slow focusing on staying in the line (the tire marks on the road), where grip is highest, and keeping concentration on codriver calls. you should be able to relatively quickly push your speed in the slower sections (corners < 5) and learn to manage the car through corners.

use extreme caution on the high speed portions, this is where you can easily make a small mistake that leads to a big crash. lift off the throttle or hit the brakes before blind crests and corners, these portions really take expect car control and complete trust in the co-driver. experience with the stages also helps immensely.

good stages to practice on, that are pretty wide with a variable mix of fast and slow, would be sweden, kenya, or finland IMO.

My second full run (had a few restarts inbetween and was testing some controller settings) of the weekly lead to a 15:42,683.
Highest PSN time is 13:31,422 now.
Edit: 15:32,212 now.

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Took a break from the weekly challenge, played more of the campaign, then went back and managed a 14:59,920, that's almost 32 seconds better than my last attempt and what I set out to do, coming in under 15 minutes. Just barely, but still.
Was around #48 on the leaderboard from 215 entries now. Best PSN time is still 13:31,422. And it's 13:16 on xbox? Must have been quite the run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Took a break from the weekly challenge, played more of the campaign, then went back and managed a 14:59,920, that's almost 32 seconds better than my last attempt and what I set out to do, coming in under 15 minutes. Just barely, but still.
Was around #48 on the leaderboard from 215 entiries now. Best PSN time is still 13:31,422. And it's 13:16 on xbox? Must have been quite the run.

Yeah, I don't see where I can pull out 18 more seconds. Must have been absolutely flying on a razers edge of disaster!

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did 14'12"059 with the Fiesta on my first attempt, which is good enough to put me on 10th place on PS5. The top time must have been a hell of a run.

Just grabbed a copy of this for 15€, excited to try it out on PS5. Haven't played a rally game in a loooong time.

Any basic tips or things I should know beford diving in?

Besides the tips given to you already, I would recommend to turn off all HUD elements except the speedometer if you use manual transmission and the pacenotes. This makes you focus only on the stages and in the information that the co-pilot is giving you. I also recommend turning off the Dynamic FOV and the Camera Shake, but I guess this is a more personal thing.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Did 14'12"059 with the Fiesta on my first attempt, which is good enough to put me on 10th place on PS5. The top time must have been a hell of a run.

Besides the tips given to you already, I would recommend to turn off all HUD elements except the speedometer if you use manual transmission and the pacenotes. This makes you focus only on the stages and in the information that the co-pilot is giving you. I also recommend turning off the Dynamic FOV and the Camera Shake, but I guess this is a more personal thing.

Yeah, I second this. The red/green splits can be very distracting (and are totally useless for the dailies/weeklies)

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nice, I saw your time yesterday evening, thanks for the video. I always hit the same tree at 4:46, every damn time. You keep pausing to check your time? And you are on manual transmisson, at least it looks like it?
You did watch my gameplay. I got itch my back and had to stop the game for a sec haha. And yes, I use manual transmission. I don't use it to get better results. I just love to mess changing gears by my self. I assume the real rally cars are automatic transmission these days...I don't know.

The audio options I can take currently are TV speaker or headphone. I get better audio quality with the headphone. But I can't play WRC9 without using the TV speaker option. I love the sounds of rocks hitting the car body that come from the speaker on the controller. In my video that happens around 8:30.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
You did watch my gameplay. I got itch my back and had to stop the game for a sec haha. And yes, I use manual transmission. I don't use it to get better results. I just love to mess changing gears by my self. I assume the real rally cars are automatic transmission these days...I don't know.

The audio options I can take currently are TV speaker or headphone. I get better audio quality with the headphone. But I can't play WRC9 without using the TV speaker option. I love the sounds of rocks hitting the car body that come from the speaker on the controller. In my video that happens around 8:30.
Of course I watched it. :) Up to 10:30 we are about the same pace, and I seem to have lost all my time compared to you in the last 4 minutes.

And the controller is just fantastic for this or the other way around, it sounds pretty awesome when you are driving on rocky paths. I went up to WRC championship in my career, first race was Monte Carlo and I was in a pretty good spot after two days, had a couple of stupid crashes at the last event, but thought, oh well, I am done with this rally anyway, just to realize it's 3 days now and went from first place to out of the Top Ten, and while that was quite frustrating, it was pretty fun to deal with the changes of the haptics and triggers. The car was roughed up pretty badly and first race on the last day was 21km stage, I lost over 2 minutes on that one alone. The amount of pressure you have to apply just to hit the gas pedal is nicely done for example.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
14'46"956 on my fourth run and I call it my time for this week.

Nice run, good car control. I'm not sure if you're looking for commentary on it but will say you're generally losing time throughout just taking corners slower than necessary. A good rule of thumb is to be in at least the gear for the corner called by your co-driver. Many corners you are in 1-2 gears lower.

Nice, I saw your time yesterday evening, thanks for the video. I always hit the same tree at 4:46, every damn time. You keep pausing to check your time? And you are on manual transmisson, at least it looks like it?

Man, I paused that videos pause several times scrubbing the screen looking to see if it showed your current stage time. I would have loved that. I also would HATE that - any pause of the game for me, even on straights!, is almost a guaranteed screw up after resuming.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Man, I paused that videos pause several times scrubbing the screen looking to see if it showed your current stage time. I would have loved that. I also would HATE that - any pause of the game for me, even on straights!, is almost a guaranteed screw up after resuming.
I didn't even realize that it doesn't show the time, was just confused why gachapin did it three times, I thought there was a strategy behind it. But he already cleared that up. 😃
I would also not use it btw, for the same reason, I would also screw up 100% after resuming. Resuming blinking my eyes is hard enough sometimes, when I notice my eyes start to burn. Most of the time it completely throws me off and sends me crashing the car.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nice run, good car control. I'm not sure if you're looking for commentary on it but will say you're generally losing time throughout just taking corners slower than necessary. A good rule of thumb is to be in at least the gear for the corner called by your co-driver. Many corners you are in 1-2 gears lower.
Thanks for the input. Other than that, I rarely went on full throttle in the entire run. I think I can also improve my time if I step on the gas pedal pull the trigger more aggressively. I'm still not comfortable with this class.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the input. Other than that, I rarely went on full throttle in the entire run. I think I can also improve my time if I step on the gas pedal pull the trigger more aggressively. I'm still not comfortable with this class.
I was quite impressed by how you were able to manage to not always go full throttle, reving gears is something that you are not familiar with apparently. I signed a WRC contract with Toyota in the campaign, so driving the Yaris in my career now, that certainly is helping me with getting more accustomed to it.

And I caught myself looking up the Logitech G29 yesterday on Amazon, also a foldable playseat for it...

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was quite impressed by how you were able to manage to not always go full throttle, reving gears is something that you are not familiar with apparently. I signed a WRC contract with Toyota in the campaign, so driving the Yaris in my career now, that certainly is helping me with getting more accustomed to it.
I used to play a NASCAR sim game a lot. In the game I enjoyed,, you get lost control pretty easily when you go wild on throttle. Now being conservative at gas control is kind of my nature or habit when I'm playing racing games but this doesn't help at all in most games.

And I caught myself looking up the Logitech G29 yesterday on Amazon, also a foldable playseat for it...
And you soon want to build a triple screen setup ;p

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I ordered a Logitech G923 and a Wheel Stand Pro V2 from amazon.de on Sunday and DIRT Rally 2 (wow, it really is even better than WRC9 in some ways!) yesterday. Needless to say, WRC9 pulled me hard into racing again! Looking forward to GT7, the inevitable DIRT Racing 3 and WRC10 as well, so the steering wheel is a long time investment.

Looking forward to Saturday when it all arrives... not looking forward to playing like trash for the next days/weeks after. 🤣

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
I ordered a Logitech G923 and a Wheel Stand Pro V2 from amazon.de on Sunday and DIRT Rally 2 yesterday. Needless to say, WRC9 pulled me hard into racing again! Looking forward to GT7, the inevitable DIRT Racing 3 and WRC10 as well, so the steering wheel is a long time investment.

Looking forward to Saturday when it all arrives... not looking forward to playing like trash for the next days/weeks after. 🤣
Dang it, why did you have to write that? This will only make me consider it now. 😂
You are from Germany as well then? Let me know if you're up for a friends request on PS5. 😊
You think that the G923 has some advantages to the G29? I looked it up yesterday on a whim, so did not research it. It's 80€ more expensive, that's why I am asking.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Dang it, why did you have to write that? This will only make me consider it now. 😂
You are from Germany as well then? Let me know if you're up for a friends request on PS5. 😊
You think that the G923 has some advantages to the G29? I looked it up yesterday on a whim, so did not research it. It's 80€ more expensive, that's why I am asking.

The G293 has TrueForce, which I guess is something like the DualSense haptic feedback (vibrations). I got it for 295 Euro (warehouse deal), but I don't know if the price premium is worth it. TrueForce is not supported in WRC9 though, so it it more of a future-proofing (GT7 will support it I think).

Yeah I am from Germany, but I do not use PS5 social functions, sorry!🤐

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
The G293 has TrueForce, which I guess is something like the DualSense haptic feedback (vibrations). I got it for 295 Euro (warehouse deal), but I don't know if the price premium is worth it. TrueForce is not supported in WRC9 though, so it it more of a future-proofing (GT7 will support it I think).

Yeah I am from Germany, but I do not use PS5 social functions, sorry!🤐
Yeah the price is pretty steep with 335€ from Amazon, you got a good deal then. Will probably check from time to time to see if it gets down. And look for some reviews and comparisons as well (maybe others can chime in with experiences?).

And no need to be sorry about the other thing, it's all good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Curious about potential differences between the WRC class cars. I know in real life the Yaris is supposed to be a bit more nimble, due to the shorter wheel base, with the i20 being more stable in higher speed sections for the same reason. Curious if this translates at all to their physics model. Anyone play enough with a variety of them to comment?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah the price is pretty steep with 335€ from Amazon, you got a good deal then. Will probably check from time to time to see if it gets down. And look for some reviews and comparisons as well (maybe others can chime in with experiences?).

And no need to be sorry about the other thing, it's all good.

There is a amazon warehouse deal of 290 Euro right now (condition "good", but my experience with amazon warehouse deals is great thus far, they do not want to get the same product sent back to them a second time).

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
There is a amazon warehouse deal of 290 Euro right now (condition "good", but my experience with amazon warehouse deals is great thus far, they do not want to get the same product sent back to them a second time).
Thanks for the heads-up, but I really don't buy used hardware, and I also ordered it new yesterday from Amazon, also a Playseat Challenge. Should both arrive tomorrow. Both your fault btw. 😉 /jk
It was inevitable anyways (I knew it as soon as I started to look them up two days ago).

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up, but I really don't buy used hardware, and I also ordered it new yesterday from Amazon, also a Playseat Challenge. Should both arrive tomorrow. Both your fault btw. 😉 /jk
It was inevitable anyways (I knew it as soon as I started to look them up two days ago).

Haha great! 🥳 After I watched some videos of professional players, I was also doomed to buy a steering wheel. Last time I played with a steering wheel was Ridge Racer on PS1 with a super cheap steering wheel that spring-snapped back to center position and had no pedals, it was awful! Lets hope the learning curve is not too steep this time coming from controller. 😱

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Haha great! 🥳 After I watched some videos of professional players, I was also doomed to buy a steering wheel. Last time I played with a steering wheel was Ridge Racer on PS1 with a super cheap steering wheel that spring-snapped back to center position and had no pedals, it was awful! Lets hope the learning curve is not too steep this time coming from controller. 😱
From my experience when I switched to wheel for the first time (but that was 15 years ago, and I played NfS and Colin McRae Rally, it was the Logitech G25), you should not be worried about a steep learning curve. It clicked with me pretty fast back then and most importantly, it's a hell of a ride all the time, you'll be having so much fun, even in the beginning. You should be just excited and not worried or nervous about it, trust me. 😊

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
As great as the DualSense support is in WRC 9, playing a rally game and pretty much every racing sim with a wheel will always give you better control and at the very least is a much more immersive and fun experience. If you can afford a wheel, go for it! Your lap times may briefly get worse when you start on a wheel but they will quickly eclipse your best times with a controller assuming you weren't some S tier controller player to begin with.

Edit: rally games are especially great with a wheel because you really can get your heart rate up with how intense some stages can be. Any day I played WRC 8 I would always easily complete my Apple Watch activity goals that day haha.

I bought a Logitech G27 in 2007 and used it up until November 2020 without any issues. It still works actually! I just finally decided to upgrade to the Fanatec Clubsport wheel that works with PS4 and PS5. So yeah you do have to spend a bit of cash up front but they tend to last a long time and consoles are finally in a good position where peripherals will carry forward, unlike the PS3 to PS4 switch.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
As great as the DualSense support is in WRC 9, playing a rally game and pretty much every racing sim with a wheel will always give you better control and at the very least is a much more immersive and fun experience. If you can afford a wheel, go for it! Your lap times may briefly get worse when you start on a wheel but they will quickly eclipse your best times with a controller assuming you weren't some S tier controller player to begin with.

Edit: rally games are especially great with a wheel because you really can get your heart rate up with how intense some stages can be. Any day I played WRC 8 I would always easily complete my Apple Watch activity goals that day haha.

I bought a Logitech G27 in 2007 and used it up until November 2020 without any issues. It still works actually! I just finally decided to upgrade to the Fanatec Clubsport wheel that works with PS4 and PS5. So yeah you do have to spend a bit of cash up front but they tend to last a long time and consoles are finally in a good position where peripherals will carry forward, unlike the PS3 to PS4 switch.
I got a pinched nerve once from playing Colin McRae Rally, I was too tense, my right shoulder started to hurt and the doctor said it was a pinched nerve in my chest.
And I had the Fanatec CSL Elite on my radar for a short time, but spending up to 600€ was a bit too much honestly. And it doesn't really fit on the Playseat too.
I had a very good experience with the G25, that's why I decided to get that one. And the TrueForce stuff is indeed just like the haptics on the controller, the wheel is emitting game audio. And anxious to hear your impressions with your new wheel by the way.

Almost "finished" my campaign, missing only Japan Rally, it's the last race and I already have enough points to win the WRC championship. Just completed the Wales stages, almost exclusively at night and in heavy rain, damn, they are tough as hell, almost venturing on horror.
And op_ivy, 13:07,161 is the best time on PSN right now.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are really convincing me I need to take out my wheel and thrash at my next opportunity (this afternoon... possibly?).

I got a pinched nerve once from playing Colin McRae Rally, I was too tense, my right shoulder started to hurt and the doctor said it was a pinched nerve in my chest.
And I had the Fanatec CSL Elite on my radar for a short time, but spending up to 600€ was a bit too much honestly. And it doesn't really fit on the Playseat too.
I had a very good experience with the G25, that's why I decided to get that one. And the TrueForce stuff is indeed just like the haptics on the controller, the wheel is emitting game audio. And anxious to hear your impressions with your new wheel by the way.

Almost "finished" my campaign, missing only Japan Rally, it's the last race and I already have enough points to win the WRC championship. Just completed the Wales stages, almost exclusively at night and in heavy rain, damn, they are tough as hell, almost venturing on horror.
And op_ivy, 13:07,161 is the best time on PSN right now.

I'd love to see a replay as I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm losing ~32 seconds. I know it's a long stage but that's 1.5 sec/km or 3.5 sec/split. My brain says I'm just not pushing hard enough throughout but can't help but wonder if there are just a small handful of sections I'm just approaching wrong and/or there are some massive cuts I'm not taking advantage of.

Shaving time

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
You guys are really convincing me I need to take out my wheel and thrash at my next opportunity (this afternoon... possibly?).

I'd love to see a replay as I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm losing ~32 seconds. I know it's a long stage but that's 1.5 sec/km or 3.5 sec/split. My brain says I'm just not pushing hard enough throughout but can't help but wonder if there are just a small handful of sections I'm just approaching wrong and/or there are some massive cuts I'm not taking advantage of.

A universal racing tenet for shaving off big chunks of time is to start by prioritizing corner exit speed on to the corner that leads into the longest straight/full throttle section. From there work backwards to the next longest Etc. The more speed you carry into the longest full throttle run, the bigger your time gains. There could be sections where you are losing way more time, but that is a good staring point to gain some easy time. Normally, slow in fast out or a late apex in that corner leading onto a big straight is enough to earn some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
A universal racing tenet for shaving off big chunks of time is to start by prioritizing corner exit speed on to the corner that leads into the longest straight/full throttle section. From there work backwards to the next longest Etc. The more speed you carry into the longest full throttle run, the bigger your time gains. There could be sections where you are losing way more time, but that is a good staring point to gain some easy time. Normally, slow in fast out or a late apex in that corner leading onto a big straight is enough to earn some time.

Yeah, this stage has 3 or 4 obvious sections that fit that bill but I feel like I'm entering them as fast as possible and is something I've considered.
  • The first follows a big hairpin left onto pavement - not much more speed that literally could get pulled out here and I'm basically flat out the section before as well.
  • Another follows a long medium right (4?) that immediately transitions into a square left with a big cut. I think I could take this corner quicker and is a possibility.
  • Finally, there is a very long, very high speed section about 2/3s of the way through approaching the railroad track area on pavement. I think I'm entering the straight at breakneck speeds, but am a little cautious on the two right-to-left little corners in the middle of it.
  • Immediately after this last section is a jump into what the co-driver calls a left 3 (IIRC?) that seems really tight and I need to drop into 2nd for. I definitely don't feel like I've got that corner down and think potentially with a slower approach I could carry more speed through it and into the next section.
Ultimately though, I know 1.5 seconds per km is not a huge amount, it just adds up. I'm going to use this to motivate me to put some time in with the wheel and see if I can make progress towards at least halving this time differential. I imagine the fine steering adjustments would help immensely in the sections where you are constantly managing the car between successive right-to-left-to-right-to-left sections.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I've never gone full time trial in a rally game, I just do the career modes. When you really start to challenge yourself with time trial stuff, you can be amazed with how much time you are pissing away when you see the top times do it in a replay or ghost. I felt fast in GT Sport for years, have nearly 100 wins online , but then that Lewis Hamilton content dropped and I realized I was no where near pushing the limits in GTS. The amount I could gain just by learning to push my trail braking more was nuts. The GT physics engine allows for insane trail braking abuse.

There is likely a secret sauce in WRC 9 physics engine to be exploited in addition to typically improvements like racing lines, compromise corners Etc. I have no idea what it is though since I just play for fun against AI in career. I am not a very good TT driver or qualifier in general. I am much better at consistency than raw speed.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I've never gone full time trial in a rally game, I just do the career modes. When you really start to challenge yourself with time trial stuff, you can be amazed with how much time you are pissing away when you see the top times do it in a replay or ghost. I felt fast in GT Sport for years, have nearly 100 wins online , but then that Lewis Hamilton content dropped and I realized I was no where near pushing the limits in GTS. The amount I could gain just by learning to push my trail braking more was nuts. The GT physics engine allows for insane trail braking abuse.

There is likely a secret sauce in WRC 9 physics engine to be exploited in addition to typically improvements like racing lines, compromise corners Etc. I have no idea what it is though since I just play for fun against AI in career. I am not a very good TT driver or qualifier in general. I am much better at consistency than raw speed.

Unfortunately there is no way to watch leaderboard replays in WRC 9, at least on xbox. I remember watching some epsorts event for WRC 8 though and they were kind of just throwing the car through the stage in an unrealistic fashion. This really turned me off the game before I eventually picked it up (and glad I did).

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a Logitech G923 and a Wheel Stand Pro V2 from amazon.de on Sunday and DIRT Rally 2 (wow, it really is even better than WRC9 in some ways!) yesterday. Needless to say, WRC9 pulled me hard into racing again! Looking forward to GT7, the inevitable DIRT Racing 3 and WRC10 as well, so the steering wheel is a long time investment.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Logitech G923 (as well as anyone else's). I've never owned a wheel before either and have been looking at jumping straight in with Fanatec, but the price does add up quick. My tastes have really narrowed in gaming recently and other than Call of Duty, racing games are near enough all I play.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a great game. I really enjoyed WRC9 but once I won the career and got the Platinum trophy for the game, I went back to Dirt Rally 2.0. I wonder if I've been slightly unfair there so I might re-install WRC9. I can certainly see me taking on some daily challenges or starting another career once I have a wheel.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks guys, I feel less anxious now! 🤩 I will report back on my experience! Is configuring the wheel correctly a hassle for each game? (someone know if wipEout Omega Collection plays better with a wheel as well?)

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Just pinged the platinum trophy, last trophy was the multiplayer event, which surprsingly was pretty fun. Hard to find players unfortunately.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Logitech G923 (as well as anyone else's). I've never owned a wheel before either and have been looking at jumping straight in with Fanatec, but the price does add up quick. My tastes have really narrowed in gaming recently and other than Call of Duty, racing games are near enough all I play.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a great game. I really enjoyed WRC9 but once I won the career and got the Platinum trophy for the game, I went back to Dirt Rally 2.0. I wonder if I've been slightly unfair there so I might re-install WRC9. I can certainly see me taking on some daily challenges or starting another career once I have a wheel.
My G923 should arrive tomorrow and you can bet your ass to read my impressions in this thread. 😃
Earlier on today I realized that the G25 was not my first wheel. That was actually my second wheel, had the red Momo wheel from Logitech, that was a thing of beauty and even better than the G25, but broke after two years. Was out of warranty and I asked Logitech to repair it, would not have minded to pay for it all, no matter the cost, but they would not do it. Got a 30% coupon for their Logitech store though, got the G25 and only payed 200 instead of 300€. Man, I am getting old. Totally forgot about that.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Unfortunately there is no way to watch leaderboard replays in WRC 9, at least on xbox. I remember watching some epsorts event for WRC 8 though and they were kind of just throwing the car through the stage in an unrealistic fashion. This really turned me off the game before I eventually picked it up (and glad I did).
This is weird, are you sure? I downloaded the ghost from the first place, the 13:07,161 and watched the replay in hood cam mode, just for you. 😊
The video is uploading as we speak, it's almost 2 GB, so will take some time. Will be unlisted, but will post the link in here when it's done.
Edit: Only saw 2 mistakes the whole run, driver got lucky with the second one. And they are flying through some of the curvy passages, absolutely wild.

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Here is the video op_ivy, I did not hide the interface so that you have a time reference, will probably take some time before you can watch it in hd resolution:

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This is weird, are you sure? I downloaded the ghost from the first place, the 13:07,161 and watched the replay in hood cam mode, just for you. 😊
The video is uploading as we speak, it's almost 2 GB, so will take some time. Will be unlisted, but will post the link in here when it's done.
Edit: Only saw 2 mistakes the whole run, driver got lucky with the second one. And they are flying through some of the curvy passages, absolutely wild.

I had checked before, but I guess I need to double check!

Here is the video op_ivy, I did not hide the interface so that you have a time reference, will probably take some time before you can watch it in hd resolution:

Thank you! I'll watch and share any insights I have later!

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

• Looks like a wheel user with the smoothness of inputs and the ability to nicely adjust steering angles. Driver looks to be able to really turn the car into corners (almost sideways!) and easily and gracefully correct the steering input. This is much more difficult on a pad.
  • Its another big oversight for us not to have the option to see the full UI on these replays. What are the driver's split times? How fast is he entering/exiting corners? And I know this is visible in the game at all but would be a nice overlay during replays - What does the throttle/braking management look like? What gear is the driver in? I'm particularly interested in that last question; my "style", with frequent short shifting and keeping the car in a higher gear through corners at the expense of rev's may be biting me in the ass more than I know! These questions would illuminate just how much speed the driver is carrying.
  • Some fairly big, multi-second loses of time here. This could have been at the xbox #1 time or even better perhaps if it was clean. Haven't watched that yet, perhaps that driver as well has left time on the table. Even at my slower speeds, its REALLY difficult to run 20+ km without making a couple of these mistakes though.
  • Sadly, with the goal of easily improving my own times, there is nothing obviously that stands out about how the time is so much faster. It really just seems to be small time gain throughout magnified by a very long stage.
  • EDIT: I wonder if I can download my own leaderboard run to analyze? Would likely be really illuminating when I'm not focused on the racing and can really see what I'm doing with an analytical eye...

Looking forward to diving in with the wheel this weekend with the goal of first reaching the level of my best run (+/-), and secondly seeing if the finer level of control will help me improve on them. I think it may take more of a commitment than this to adjust and see results, but it should be fun regardless!

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
So very brief first impressions from the G923 wheel and in particular this game (spent some time with GT Sport as well): it is bloody awesome. It's recognized by the game, you can turn on haptic feedback on in the wheel menu, that is for the TrueForce I'd think. Turned it on immediately, so did not compare it with turning it off. But you're constantly feel some kind of sensation, just like with the dualsense, which can differ based on the ground you're driving on, and I can't remember having that with my old wheels.
Started with the smallest stage in Sweden (this area where you have to complete 2 laps), that is what I played recently a couple of times to get a certain trophy. Ghost was enabled, so I had a comparison with my best controller time. The first 2 or 3 laps were pretty rough (I tried the first lap with closest chase cam and switched and stayed at hood cam), had to get used to throttle control (I admitted earlier ITT that I am pretty terrible at it with a controller, and my god, it is so much better with pedals) and a stiff brake pedal, but it clicked pretty quickly, I think after the second or third restart I had beaten my controller time by one second, the lap after that I shaved another second off. It's a pretty easy stage though.
Started up the weekly challenge, first attempt was aborted after two minutes cause I was still getting used to where the buttons are and crashed the car when trying to turn the headlights on/off. It was early on so I restarted and finished the stage with 15:07, received 3 x 5 second penalties. 14:59 was my best time with a controller, where I did not have those penalties, at least not 3, maybe one, I can't remember. So already in the ballpark with my best controller time.
And it is so much easier to steer the car around corners, making little adjustments on the fly without the car breaking out or you losing control otherwise. I immediately noticed this. It was quite the workout as well, was breaking a sweat after half an hour or so.
Force feedback feels really good (this is where the workout comes from), feels aggressive and punchy in this game, seems to be quiter than the G25, while still making noises of course, it is still gear driven.
And GT Sport, my god, also fantastic. The Playseat Challenge is pretty great too, more stable then I thought, even though I had read it was supposed to be sturdy. Also had holes on the plate for the G923. Will defintiely tinker with adjusting it, but it already feels rather nice.
I am also sitting way closer to my 65" TV now, which only adds to the immersion. It's great fun.

I am looking forward to the next weekly challenges, that's for sure. And also to reading from some of the others who bought one or maybe entertain the idea of buying one.

Edit: I also tested without haptic feedback, because for some reason it was turned off after I restarted the game and it's absolutely noticeable, lacking the sensations I described earlier, so it definitely adds to the immersion.

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
  • Looks like a wheel user with the smoothness of inputs and the ability to nicely adjust steering angles. Driver looks to be able to really turn the car into corners (almost sideways!) and easily and gracefully correct the steering input. This is much more difficult on a pad.
  • Its another big oversight for us not to have the option to see the full UI on these replays. What are the driver's split times? How fast is he entering/exiting corners? And I know this is visible in the game at all but would be a nice overlay during replays - What does the throttle/braking management look like? What gear is the driver in? I'm particularly interested in that last question; my "style", with frequent short shifting and keeping the car in a higher gear through corners at the expense of rev's may be biting me in the ass more than I know! These questions would illuminate just how much speed the driver is carrying.
  • Some fairly big, multi-second loses of time here. This could have been at the xbox #1 time or even better perhaps if it was clean. Haven't watched that yet, perhaps that driver as well has left time on the table. Even at my slower speeds, its REALLY difficult to run 20+ km without making a couple of these mistakes though.
  • Sadly, with the goal of easily improving my own times, there is nothing obviously that stands out about how the time is so much faster. It really just seems to be small time gain throughout magnified by a very long stage.
  • EDIT: I wonder if I can download my own leaderboard run to analyze? Would likely be really illuminating when I'm not focused on the racing and can really see what I'm doing with an analytical eye...

Looking forward to diving in with the wheel this weekend with the goal of first reaching the level of my best run (+/-), and secondly seeing if the finer level of control will help me improve on them. I think it may take more of a commitment than this to adjust and see results, but it should be fun regardless!

That's too bad, but hopefully it did ease your mind a bit. And even more importantly: I'd agree that it was a wheel user, and there is only so much you can do with a controller, especially in these narrow and curvy passages of the stage. And your time is fucking fantastic. You probably have one of the fastest time with a controller (if not the fastest). You are doing mighty fine. 👍

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
So very brief first impressions from the G923 wheel and in particular this game (spent some time with GT Sport as well): it is bloody awesome. It's recognized by the game, you can turn on haptic feedback on in the wheel menu, that is for the TrueForce I'd think. Turned it on immediately, so did not compare it with turning it off. But you're constantly feel some kind of sensation, just like with the dualsense, which can differ based on the ground you're driving on, and I can't remember having that with my old wheels.
Started with the smallest stage in Sweden (this area where you have to complete 2 laps), that is what I played recently a couple of times to get a certain trophy. Ghost was enabled, so I had a comparison with my best controller time. The first 2 or 3 laps were pretty rough (I tried the first lap with closest chase cam and switched and stayed at hood cam), had to get used to throttle control (I admitted earlier ITT that I am pretty terrible at it with a controller, and my god, it is so much better with pedals) and a stiff brake pedal, but it clicked pretty quickly, I think after the second or third restart I had beaten my controller time by one second, the lap after that I shaved another second off. It's a pretty easy stage though.
Started up the weekly challenge, first attempt was aborted after two minutes cause I was still getting used to where the buttons are and crashed the car when trying to turn the headlights on/off. It was early on so I restarted and finished the stage with 15:07, received 3 x 5 second penalties. 14:59 was my best time with a controller, where I did not have those penalties, at least not 3, maybe one, I can't remember. So already in the ballpark with my best controller time.
And it is so much easier to steer the car around corners, making little adjustments on the fly without the car breaking out or you losing control otherwise. I immediately noticed this. It was quite the workout as well, was breaking a sweat after half an hour or so.
Force feedback feels really good (this is where the workout comes from), feels aggressive and punchy in this game, seems to be quiter than the G25, while still making noises of course, it is still gear driven.
And GT Sport, my god, also fantastic. The Playseat Challenge is pretty great too, more stable then I thought, even though I had read it was supposed to be sturdy. Also had holes on the plate for the G923. Will defintiely tinker with adjusting it, but it already feels rather nice.
I am also sitting way closer to my 65" TV now, which only adds to the immersion. It's great fun.

I am looking forward to the next weekly challenges, that's for sure. And also to reading from some of the others who bought one or maybe entertain the idea of buying one.

Thanks for the wheel impressions, sounds awesome - and you're already (at least) matching your controller times!

Quick question, how many degrees of steering/rotation are you using? Did you change it? For rally racing especially, its usually recommended to bump it down quite a bit so you have less travel from left lock to right. A quick google search and it seems lots are using between 540 and 720. If you were racing on the default you might find even more success reducing it!

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the wheel impressions, sounds awesome - and you're already (at least) matching your controller times!

Quick question, how many degrees of steering/rotation are you using? Did you change it? For rally racing especially, its usually recommended to bump it down quite a bit so you have less travel from left lock to right. A quick google search and it seems lots are using between 540 and 720. If you were racing on the default you might find even more success reducing it!
It was at 380 or 390 degree, can't remember, that's what it had at default for this wheel. I noticed the difference quite good with comparing it to GT Sport where it's at its default I think. Felt great to be honest, can take corners way tighter now too. I will test a wider angle tomorrow.
Had another run at the weekly, actually two, the first one was 14:50 and the second one was 14:39,146, which is my best so far and also final, since the challenge is over in 30 minutes. So better than 20 seconds of my controller time, which I had more runs with.
Edit: Yeah, it's at 380, goes up to 900 since this is the max for this wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I might stick with this last weekly (New Zealand) for a bit to develop my wheel skills. Unless the new one is fun :)

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly is a 3 race event in Monte Carlo, with the Ogier WRC Yaris and infinite restarts for each stage. Not sure if you are able to quit out and continue later. This is a hard event though with mixed weather before the service park - tough tire choice for day 1!

I'm currently #1 on the xbox leaderboard with a total time of 13'46"831, a huuuuge 1'50" over 2nd place - last weeklies #1 driver with the impressive 13'02" time in New Zealand. Its early going though, and my run wasn't super great.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Made a couple of photos of the new setup, I had a wheel stand for my old wheel, which was quite good, but the pole in the middle was a bit distracting, so one of the advantages is that I don't have to deal with that anymore. Folding it together only takes a minute and then you can stow it:

4FYL0K__dD8VyrqUqnMznPdWtuHf6Dx8H_vrYsn1MrOFZXlmSv2T-z2sCkh3iOQ41W1j1z6S4Ff90kcvBywzhAy_0ZiwIYYFXu2Ef0bQl3ii36L6mPdV66VcnPU7ZCb49Z7y5j5QEy9vWjPbWfztU8sUHpShn3mYnCWEI2AtjFgBJzt81E3K-ThI0KQNBHb6liBwQkxFlUo1aUizALNkc2IQ0CYHX7bItpuVA0SqvFPIcMjKzYzVfM-TabdYg14TZeQoGgxlk_nH-kUyByyDx0-TOGluEt0UuwN5tUDk43WelH0ee2zcax6FfNjkshQ2O068UzUF31MLDYllAYt0fS8qjAU69DhkY_uwibC8q7lIJzKAouEV3bPeF9DgEGOr80EEaX0CihWY6jkKsqSfyMbelyZifWJE6FFaqmm-2EeeixWL4ctnJJX6yPDvCe_2kJConZLsYkL_26B3seMSG-AWPh7bJ4QMyCanUAs5tnm_HyPpyqViuD30fNLZgzCX7yFv3OSM6K7DVfYoMUj001uhrJF4WRyAnHr8xCRQHiQl8lqx8rpVbb80GSuiCLIlmWIwU2zHo0yrhw4b_kur60ez5yRi9i1YeFwR2S5yBetMhlmetm02wrTxGUrq3WWvQGcncNgdo7wYZLN4QyBBo5IKnNHtaVebruB_YOEZWGuupFI83e-n8qR5Z0i8KQ=w530-h937-no

0EiHbmUW06TiLlsQqiFK5tjm3K6Kn-V08dypdJyugQclgtzWQCwXfyG2-G0EIC6HnwVsorZyjM_DQGe4nDaDSysZhIiMw4GZ4FKkzuAHoU1cZQZWgr5ku7uWn4VZJq-rQQvOVRXcT05UAJCdyF9ahW2b1p49LRxzCXpsHPv0iTIIdDcCcSLMJDnQzs6WOoZSOYT9wfEpF7gfXA1OSVjh6zUh9IkYt4aAyNLSLXCL4esP0M_j-nY0fvPsYqco4dukfvrUzjQH0v273yV8aqdWoD41QGtxZvGck1dSFyEIea3SpsOcPk8UPcn8Nw-wC5jsXi2HgngSffR01SNsoeQbfatiXSY_4nomrNIyOyCwieECwaFX-0BKpHmfxvJdrP2lMbbc7Qy-8h87KcPsWmVUQtKkLfwT6VW4XAGGErOVaKaad9iUSJ9Rod4oEdwUrEej-ExrzPI-Cu3cYYBM-wpANsEPIzTBEDalv9g0wbq5yQttbOyRdHC4OkWZwVqvygWDXTgTV2RPJkEP_sMuTmys0-FpQ5eHcsv5BbK4g_UirSLqCLINTjGMqxMZY2VjC834Rh0esk3SKytw9l6O8REaj7C4SNGH-VKwzVQastiUG8ApRsOOK4A58pAWpRXix6oghyrN4JD_gJqatcpa4YXLVKxy8DmCt_An_xGtwkEaFUDZbUY6s-rDTRhP5opG2A=w641-h937-no

Nh_qfYAT6balrHutDiwyhCqeyWD2iBOb4KktvaFEGh-bLKuWqginge9_P_JzYXxukfzRjVEEj0MDcXcY6ENCnM-XoTpsYhTjl6_W1tl3NE5hr3JY3SgkljtuFqq2psmx01Qqea-Q7DyJzDl7L1gtocNjnM04DxODFuVoTbEfhQ-XSNxZML63izCpdoMjDurbLS2qgYy4qfYNlkTLed82h4BU7NL42xKwOIXVUDLqRTBhroGPa5C_DQ4witFGLAX7yZ5Mt0jk2qH2Q2-R373-EB7N9gnQ27GDLyCQt-vq4y3LE4V4d0R9LaX5CRa4yBWB1jdPAsRTXi8cIE6KbHQ7W7MkTp12M4sZo7XQ8tu-2B7s7AUGgF-C6sto5G0enS7fGvBvYug1OwDHZwMZFUclwIlymN6h5hVu1GhQZGEvmd5FtpIBEQ88UdTrGVdvTNoJXkrzzf2kAwMJ53EyAwPcPn-OVXcPHSgDSntKJGUrJeb4VyT_B3sEwZoMdDGD8Q8sI39K2pSlS4ZUOYd_0NJQ0ubMC6uirLvCiJeO9xWeHQS94yDkJs6lajYDmKFO7Fw065_oZtW9pZQ_8MeRTL9z2463X5bpXhWDgYlCSIGHsFlO0-Cbq4vReJUk0HGMFzBLjvN7DGOmND-VgpDbmmaNutvHSQdwZBGyhBxSB5wV5Bt1b9XDcHfTzaH9iJL2uw=w1545-h937-no

Weekly is a 3 race event in Monte Carlo, with the Ogier WRC Yaris and infinite restarts for each stage. Not sure if you are able to quit out and continue later. This is a hard event though with mixed weather before the service park - tough tire choice for day 1!

I'm currently #1 on the xbox leaderboard with a total time of 13'46"831, a huuuuge 1'50" over 2nd place - last weeklies #1 driver with the impressive 13'02" time in New Zealand. Its early going though, and my run wasn't super great.
I am not particulary fond of Monte Carlo, but will be interesting to have 3 shorter stages instead of one long run. Will take a crack at it later. And congrats to first place for the time being at least. What tires did you choose for day 1? And have you checked the ghost downloading from the leaderboard again?