• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

WRC

The exciting new edition, which will contain iconic rallies in Kenya, New Zealand and Japan from the 2020 WRC calendar, will be launched initially on current platforms. It will become available for new consoles at a later date to be confirmed.

WRC 9 brings added realism for gamers and will thrust the WRC into the forefront of new technology. It is the first rally game to be announced for the new-generation Xbox Series X and PlayStation5 platforms.

The career mode in WRC 8 was lauded as one of the best in any motorsport game. It has been improved further in WRC 9, with enhanced gameplay mechanics, new opportunities to upgrade gamers' teams, a wider variety of events and a stronger link to what real-world WRC teams are doing throughout the season.

Developers have focused on areas such as suspension, braking and weight transfer to take authenticity to new levels by faithfully reproducing a car's responsiveness on all surfaces and conditions in the real WRC. A special focus on sound provides deeper immersion.

"WRC 9 will capture the adventure and challenges posed by the real-life FIA World Rally Championship in an ever-more realistic fashion, thanks to significant upgrades by Nacon and KT Racing," added Ciesla.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Before anyone gets confused...

PS4, Xbox One, and PC versions are due on September 3.

PS5, Xbox Series X, and Switch versions will follow at a later date.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Another year of Epic exclusive.

So in september WRC 9 will be available on Epic and WRC 8 on Steam.
I don't understand how this can be fair :(

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Another year of Epic exclusive.

So in september WRC 9 will be available on Epic and WRC 8 on Steam.
I don't understand how this can be fair :(
Because it is NOT fair. Especially for an annual game like the WRC series.
I've long understood this fact that most devs and pubs just take this situation from their perspective strictly and just think that no matter how they release a game, the customer just should consume it. They simply do not care and take steam or egs as 'just another launcher'. Its beyond their comprehension to understand the differences but well what can you do on companies and devs like that who are hell bent on this line of thinking? *shrugs*

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

looks fantastic. a fine tuned version of last years game will be pretty incredible.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
While you wait, for what it's worth for Nintendo Switch rally racing fans, take a look at Rush Rally 3 ($15, 60fps, HD Rumble, active developer who previously worked on rally racing games)

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Got to admit since Jimmy Broadbent plays this loads and says it's generally better than DiRT Rally 2.0 I want to give these titles a whirl.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Publishers will always do this for high fidelity titles. Switch footage and screenshots will look worse and they dont want that out there around launch. Also porting work needs to happen.

MK11 says otherwise, tho. Guess what? It was the top selling Switch game according to NPD. This excuse doesn't hold any water.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Got to admit since Jimmy Broadbent plays this loads and says it's generally better than DiRT Rally 2.0 I want to give these titles a whirl.

if you are a fan of rally games, or WRC in general, its a no brainer. I definitely think DR 2.0 feels better to play, with a better handling model and physics, but virtually everything else about wrc 8 is superior. it really captures the sport well.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While you wait, for what it's worth for Nintendo Switch rally racing fans, take a look at Rush Rally 3 ($15, 60fps, HD Rumble, active developer who previously worked on rally racing games)

How have I never heard of this? I generally keep up with every racing game released on the Switch and I had never seen this. I'll put the game on my Wish List in case it goes on sale, but it looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
How have I never heard of this? I generally keep up with every racing game released on the Switch and I had never seen this. I'll put the game on my Wish List in case it goes on sale, but it looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
For sure! Look up the developer of you want more of the history on his projects. But yeah, it's surprisingly good. He nails the feel of the driving.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
if you are a fan of rally games, or WRC in general, its a no brainer. I definitely think DR 2.0 feels better to play, with a better handling model and physics, but virtually everything else about wrc 8 is superior. it really captures the sport well.
I grew up playing Colin McRae and WRC on PlayStation. Colin McRae Rally 2.0 and WRC II Extreme being the stand-out titles back then. Also shout-out to Rallysport Challenge 2

I bought DIRT Rally 2.0 but it's shockingly low on content and, more importantly, it doesn't feel authentic to me. I think it's the engine because it feels like the car pivots from the centre and the presentation is too clinical. The experience leaves me cold to the sport. There's no grit to it.

So I need something else. Just considering whether to get a cheap WRC 8 or wait until WRC 9 rolls around in September.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up playing Colin McRae and WRC on PlayStation. Colin McRae Rally 2.0 and WRC II Extreme being the stand-out titles back then. Also shout-out to Rallysport Challenge 2

I bought DIRT Rally 2.0 but it's shockingly low on content and, more importantly, it doesn't feel authentic to me. I think it's the engine because it feels like the car pivots from the centre and the presentation is too clinical. The experience leaves me cold to the sport. There's no grit to it.

So I need something else. Just considering whether to get a cheap WRC 8 or wait until WRC 9 rolls around in September.

i think i'd hold off. as much as i love wrc 8, it needed some more time in the oven and some fine tuning. i'm hopeful wrc 9 contains those tweaks that would really allow the game to excell in the areas it showed promise in previously. and, if it doesn't, wrc 8 should be cheaper then anyways!

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Dirty Rally feels pretty authentic to me

But I could get into a rally game with a better presentation and more enticing packaging

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
i think i'd hold off. as much as i love wrc 8, it needed some more time in the oven and some fine tuning. i'm hopeful wrc 9 contains those tweaks that would really allow the game to excell in the areas it showed promise in previously. and, if it doesn't, wrc 8 should be cheaper then anyways!
Probably best.

Dirty Rally feels pretty authentic to me

But I could get into a rally game with a better presentation and more enticing packaging

I don't know which word I should use then but I like my rally games to feel gritty.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
some new footage of some new locations. KENYA and JAPAN! really looking forward to this (and the wrc season hopefully resuming also in september)

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
sounds and looks like the game hasnt progressed from 8 much (which for the most part is fine with me!)- but i'm really hoping the pad controls have seen some improvement. i found wrc 8 to be really twitchy. as much as i love that game, the controls really held it back

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
thanks. Assuming GT7 isn't at launch I *need* a racing game to dick about with on PS5 so probably this or Dirt 5. My standards are lowered at launch of a new console so I'm open to either. A cross buy / free upgrade confirmation would help me jump in early

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
thanks. Assuming GT7 isn't at launch I *need* a racing game to dick about with on PS5 so probably this or Dirt 5. My standards are lowered at launch of a new console so I'm open to either. A cross buy / free upgrade confirmation would help me jump in early

i'd assume thats a given?

(EDIT: didnt realize thats what you were originally asking about, lol. oh well, i learned about the next gen features anyway)

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
WRC 8 was unexpectedly really great, wasn't it? Like, actual competition for Dirt Rally-tier greatness.

How was it on Switch? Thinking of getting WRC9 there.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing WRC II Extreme again...

Nice video. I've held out so far on these WRC games but WRC9 could be a clincher.

Looking forward to seeing how PS5 version plays out (I got all the bullet points from a post above).

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Alan has part 1 up!

havent watched yet, hoping he touches on pad controls as they were pretty poor in 8 IMO

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
this video has a bit of info - timestamped

- native 4k
- 60 fps minimum (up to 100 fps?)
- support for new ps5 controller features
- full optimization for SSDs

Hearing about the haptics and the adaptive triggers really has me hoping that there's an officially licensed wheel with haptics in the wheel and adaptive pedals for PS5.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Review embargo lifted in the morning (of a Sunday! :P) I captured these yesterday with wheel & pedals. Loving the driving feel and the Fanatec default implementation, which is something you don't usually see. Gotta play more but I think I'll enjoy it a lot:

Neste Finland:

www.gamereactor.es

WRC 9 - Gameplay del Rally Neste en Finlandia con volante y pedales

Uno de los ratos más divertidos que hemos pasado con la versión final de WRC 9 ha sido en este rally finlandés repleto de derrapes, saltos y gravilla al volante del Ford Fiesta WRC y el Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 con pedales invertidos.

Monte Carlo:

www.gamereactor.es

WRC 9 - Gameplay del Rallye Monte-Carlo versión review

6 kilómetros de asfalto, bosque y montaña nevada en esta complicada etapa con el Citroën C3 R5, un volante con pedales de Fanatec y la versión de análisis de WRC 9 para PC.

Mexico:

www.gamereactor.es

WRC 9 - Gameplay del Rally Guanajuato en México versión final

Nos llevamos el Volkswagen Polo R5 con el conjunto de volante y pedales Fanatec a la vertiginosa etapa cuesta abajo repleta de horquillas para recordar que no puedes dejar de prestar atención a las notas del copiloto si quieres hacer un tiempo decente.