• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
SANDUSKY, Ohio - The parade of boats was decked out in flags and banners screaming support for President Donald Trump, led by a barge that had been used in previous summers for bikini-tops-optional parties on Sandusky Bay but was now laden with 10 cannons and a crane holding up a 22-by-15-foot American flag. It flapped in the wind as the cannons fired

There were motorcycles and pickup trucks on the shore, and an antique military plane in the sky. Trump flags seemed to far outnumber American ones; at least one Confederate flag flew among them. The dozen or so men firing the cannons wore red hats embroidered with Trump's name and praise for the president. They shouted strings of excited obscenities as they marveled at the hundreds of boats behind them.

"There are still people coming to get into the parade!" exclaimed Shaun Bickley, 54, the barge owner who organized the parade and would later change into a black tank top with "Trump 2020" and an expletive written around an American-flag skull. "Man, do you see all of these people?"

A majority of White men have long sided with Republican presidential nominees, and they voted for Trump at about the same rates as in previous years, according to exit polls - but Trump won the votes of White men without college degrees by the highest rate in at least 36 years, or as long as comparable exit polling has existed. Four years into a tumultuous presidency, these men consistently give the president his highest approval ratings, and polls show they're happier with the economy and the direction of the country than White women or voters of color.

Their connection with Trump is cultural and emotional as much as political, closely intertwined with their lives and identities. His enemies are their enemies, his grievances are their grievances. They live by the rules he lives by: that concepts like White male privilege or structural racism and sexism are to be scoffed at, that the working-class, Christians and Trump supporters have been victimized, that it's OK to be moved to tears by a love for the country and its president but that liberals are crybabies and snowflakes. They pride themselves on being self-made, and see Trump, whose life has been nothing like their own, as a once-in-a-lifetime leader.

"People tend to go down with the ship. ... That hardcore group, they're going to be flying Trump flags at their funerals 30 years from now," said Democratic Rep. Tim Ryan, whose eastern Ohio district is heavily blue collar. While Ryan said he is confident Biden will win Ohio, he has little hope of converting Trump's strongest supporters. "They're all in with him, and there's no way to change their minds."

The issues Trump has chosen to highlight are, like his cultural positions, attractive to his White male supporters. His focus on law and order, seen by many as a way to scare some suburban women and seniors into voting for him, has also excited and rallied the men who already love him and are willing to follow him anywhere, including into an actual battle.

"We'll grab my AR and head for Washington and join the police force if they think they're going to riot and destroy Washington - not under my watch. I will die shoulder-to-shoulder with the cops," said Karr, the veteran who has three grown sons. "There ain't no way I am going to accept lawlessness in this country."

(if Washington Post link doesn't work, try this one below)

www.thehour.com

White men backing Trump say they can't be swayed

SANDUSKY, Ohio - The parade of boats was decked out in flags and banners screaming...

Long article, but worth reading if you want to understand Trump's cult better. And you may be thinking, "Biden is likely to win, who cares about these guys?" But remember, they don't go away if Trump loses...they just look for a new cult leader. Tucker Carlson and Tom Cotton are two possibilities.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It really needs to be made clear that these people aren't going away and Trump losing is no time to relax. My biggest fear is that people are looking for normal rather than taking the lessons of being involved to keep these guys at bay.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You mean these fragile-ass people live vicariously through Trump because they equate having to hold a job as evidence of racial equity and thus feel attacked when anyone suggests America isn't a meritocracy, and thus Trump's utter disdain for minorities allows them to better able live out their absurd fantasies of victimhood and oppression? I didn't need yet ANOTHER fucking article to know that. I know how these fuckers think just by listening to them babble on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It really needs to be made clear that these people aren't going away and Trump losing is no time to relax. My biggest fear is that people are looking for normal rather than taking the lessons of being involved to keep these guys at bay.

Yeah, I hope that Democrats actually vote during midterms if Biden wins, because they sure didn't during Obama's years. And we also have to deal with QAnon, which will survive Trump losing and continue to grow unless we can get some actual regulation of social media companies.

Oct 30, 2017
A decent amount of people will move on from Trump if he loses. Some will go down with the ship.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is regarding trying to move on from him. But some sort of "Never again" moment really needs to come along. But fascism doesn't live or die with Trump.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for the GOP to tear itself apart when they try to keep this electorate but also force the Trump kids out of the party. That's my political dream right now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

(if Washington Post link doesn't work, try this one below)

www.thehour.com

White men backing Trump say they can't be swayed

SANDUSKY, Ohio - The parade of boats was decked out in flags and banners screaming...

Long article, but worth reading if you want to understand Trump's cult better. And you may be thinking, "Biden is likely to win, who cares about these guys?" But remember, they don't go away if Trump loses...they just look for a new cult leader. Tucker Carlson and Tom Cotton are two possibilities.
I mean a causal glance at American history tells you they never go away, all we can do is they get smaller and less tolerable by the majority.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
And yet you'll still get articles calling for polite conversation with these people and that belittling them is not the answer. Fuck that, you could sit them down with all the facts in the world and it wouldn't matter, if you're not on their side you're the enemy and they'd rather just see you dead.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hope that Democrats actually vote during midterms if Biden wins, because they sure didn't during Obama's years. And we also have to deal with QAnon, which will survive Trump losing and continue to grow unless we can get some actual regulation of social media companies.

I don't think any one instance in recent US history has emphasized the importance of voting more than Trump. It's very possible Dems go back to not caring about the midterms years later, but I do think for some years to come, we'll have good turnouts during midterms

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
We're not gonna eradicate these cockroaches, but we gotta stay resilient in the future and keep them at bay.

I'm aware some people will claim I'm dehumanizing these people. Miss me with that, I'm not the one calling for the eradication of certain people. You just can't save those that don't want to be reasoned with.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Their connection with Trump is cultural and emotional as much as political, closely intertwined with their lives and identities. His enemies are their enemies, his grievances are their grievances. They live by the rules he lives by: that concepts like White male privilege or structural racism and sexism are to be scoffed at, that the working-class, Christians and Trump supporters have been victimized, that it's OK to be moved to tears by a love for the country and its president but that liberals are crybabies and snowflakes. They pride themselves on being self-made, and see Trump, whose life has been nothing like their own, as a once-in-a-lifetime leader.
"There ain't no way I am going to accept lawlessness in this country."
It's clear who they think the law applies to, and who it doesn't.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Bigotry motivates them so no matter what he does he's the Grand Dragon so they will follow him.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're not gonna eradicate these cockroaches, but we gotta stay resilient in the future and keep them at bay.

I'm aware some people will claim I'm dehumanizing these people. Miss me with that, you can't save those that don't want to be saved.

I agree with this post completely.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why I don't have any real optimism about what happens after the election

atrocities will be coming after, whether in a few days or a few years

Oct 30, 2017
Hate to say this, but seems to me like you're still fighting the civil war. Don't make the same mistake and aim for appeasement; they'll just come back again.

Thrash them into the ground in the election, then dance on the grave in the midterms. If dems win, but voters think the job is done and let them back in the midterms, the cycle will get worse and worse each time.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I see the term "working class" without a proper identifier, I want to punch a wall.

We know EXACTLY what segment of the "working class" they are referring to.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
See guys, nothing matters! As MAGAChad420 goes, so goes the nation. Might as well give up now, and anyway Biden will probably be just as bad if not worrrrrssss--

giphy.gif

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
All I can think of when reading the OP is "well, duh". We have known this since June 2015 to some extent, every passing day since then has just entrenched him more with his core base. He is their idol and God amongst men.

Thankfully, that core base is loud, vocal, and a minority of the country. His soft support, those who voted for him but were on the fence about some issues before the 2016 elections has completely eroded.

MAGA hats are the new confederate battle flag. It's as simple as that. The same ignorant, racist people who still say "THE SOUTH WILL NEVER SURRENDER" now say "MAGA".

Of all the people to pin a flag to, they choose the scammer and grifter trump!
It does fit the profile. Poor / uneducated, resentful whites have always been manipulated by grifters and frauds who play the role of Strong White Daddy.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Hate to say this, but seems to me like you're still fighting the civil war. Don't make the same mistake and aim for appeasement; they'll just come back again.

I think the biggest difference between then and now is that those who were victimized didn't have any say in how things shook out in the post-war aftermath hence the countless numbers of Confederate monuments everywhere. So yeah, civil war never really ended, they were just told to fight it in a different way

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, but they also didn't spring into existence in 2016 either. These people have always been here and will always be here. Just have to keep beating these people at the ballot box over and over and over again.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I've heard enough stories about them. They're trash, what else is new?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Keep an eye on them, pay them no attention... they will NEVER be won over, so they aren't even worth approaching and trying to convert.

We're all preaching to the choir in here... but these people are lost.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Trump's cult is concerned with minorities being oppressed, the right to own guns, and "owning the libs".

Anything beyond that is of little concern to them. As long as Trumpo is allowing those things to happen, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
This might seem like a weird comment, but I will never understand how people worship Trump. Specially these nazi types. Like, your entire ideology is about racial purity, how you have superior physical and mental intellect. If their messiah was some 6'8" chiseled dude with a doctorate that spewed hateful shit I could at least say " you know what, I get why they adore that dude as hateful as he is" ...but trump..really..TRUMP is your god emperor? He babbles constantly, has shit health, physical form and his finances are in shambles. Why him?? If I was some alt-right bro I would be fucking embarrassed. I guess a lot of them are just like him so they see themselves in him..maybe? its so bizarre

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This might seem like a weird comment, but I will never understand how people worship Trump. Specially these nazi types. Like, your entire ideology is about racial purity, how you have superior physical and mental intellect. If their messiah was some 6'8" chiseled dude with a doctorate that spewed hateful shit I could at least say " you know what, I get why they adore that dude as hateful as he is" ...but trump..really..TRUMP is your god emperor? He babbles constantly, has shit health, physical form and his finances are in shambles. Why him?? If I was some alt-right bro I would be fucking embarrassed. I guess a lot of them are just like him so they see themselves in him..maybe? its so bizarre
These people are weak minded. You have to understand that a weak mind can be easily controlled and manipulated. A lot of them have nothing else to live for. Some are trying to hold on to what they see as power over other races in America. You are not mentally weak so it's hard for you to understand why they behave like this. They have mental health issues too. People don't want to admit it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I assume the dedicated nazis just see him as a means to an end, getting more and more people on the white grievance train through use of his power, fame, position, platform. While the rest are mostly garden variety "dey took er jerbs" racists and nazi larpers. He hates who they hate, and that's enough. He mirrors their own prejudices and they get off on it.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Don't forget he spray tans, spends a shit ton on his hair, wears heels, has literal gold furniture he sits in...

It's all because he wants to hurt the libs. That's literally It.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for the GOP to tear itself apart when they try to keep this electorate but also force the Trump kids out of the party. That's my political dream right now.
Remember that 2012 post-mortem that RNC did that said if they wanted to continue to be relevant they would need to move more towards the center and appeal to different groups...then they went far right and won? I don't see them distancing themselves anymore, this is the party of Trump, his kids included.

Oct 28, 2017
"There ain't no way I'm going to accept lawlessness in this country," he said while pulling the lever for the corrupt criminal president.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As a white man who grew up in a religious, concervative, white town in a religious, conservative, white family...I guess it's a fucking miracle I didn't end up like one of these guys.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
There will always be a sizeable population of complete morons. Naturally, this is Trump's base.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
As a white man who grew up in a religious, concervative, white town in a religious, conservative, white family...I guess it's a fucking miracle I didn't end up like one of these guys.
What happened? What made you break free from the conservative ideology? They make it seem like it benefits people like you so I can imagine you were super confused during the process.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a white male I give the side eye to every single other white guy I come across since there's like a 60% chance they are utter trash.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
To them, he is what you described. They have exit reality and live in another world build by their own collective minds.
Look at all the 'art' they produce. Trump is made to look like a superhuman. They don't care about the real flesh and blood one. They live for their imaginary false idol.

HelplessBaggyAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

It's a bit like the villain in Re:Creators who becomes godlike as it encompasses the alter reality image of others about itself and absorbs the fantasies making it reality.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that 2012 post-mortem that RNC did that said if they wanted to continue to be relevant they would need to move more towards the center and appeal to different groups...then they went far right and won? I don't see them distancing themselves anymore, this is the party of Trump, his kids included.

I don't think they can sustain Trumpism without Trump though. Especially if he gets blown out in this election. Trump will burn them before he lets them eject him. There's definitely an aspect of the party that wants him out, a part that is loyal, and then a part that tolerates him. Like I said, it's just a dream. Who knows what will actually happen.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't be shy journalists, call them ✨ rednecks ✨.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
And yet you'll still get articles calling for polite conversation with these people and that belittling them is not the answer. Fuck that, you could sit them down with all the facts in the world and it wouldn't matter, if you're not on their side you're the enemy and they'd rather just see you dead.

Yep, people need to stop with the Neville Chamberlain BS when it comes to these people.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"So the couple times I couldn't hear him, that was OK, I knew I was supposed to clap. I don't know what I was clapping about, but I clapped."
These people in a nutshell.

TO BE COMPLETELY FAIR, most people probably would've in that social situation.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is why you need to not only beat Trump, but break him down post election. If he's allowed to get a TV network and just troll the country until he dies, he gives life and assurance to those who are hateful and resentful. Embarrass him with his taxes, demonstrate his lack of business skills, punish his crimes. The "strongman" must be made shown to be as weak as he is to cower these folks down. Tom Cotton and Tucker Carlson aren't the kind of primal tinpot dictators that Trump is. They might be smarter about how to be evil, but they aren't as charismatic. Cut off the head and let the rest slither back into their holes. They won't go away, but they don't need to be given a path in society to succeed and thrive.

Oct 27, 2017
This joke was told in Nazi Germany so this contradiction isn't anything new.
"The ideal German should be as blonde as Hitler, as tall as Goebbels, as slim as Goering and as chaste as Röhm"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've never seen such a fanatical cult in my lifetime. There have been crazier cults on a smaller scale, like the Branch Davidians and Heaven's Gate, but this is a dedicated cult of millions of people.

It's like, sure, Obama had a brand with his HOPE posters and such, but these people make Trump's brand their identity.