• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV has a WAY better dub than I expected and it seriously elevates the game as a whole. Every character has loads of life and personality

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I like most dubs for the most part.

There are exceptions with individual characters of course but I've always liked the dubs for Tales of games. Both Nier games are incredible too.

I would also say FF7R had a good dub. I honestly greatly prefer it in English. I'd say the same for XV and XII too.

If I can break the JRPG rule, one of my all time favorite dubs is this Blazblue series. Still sad about Central Fiction.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I never go in thinking a dub is going to be bad.

Fighting game wise, Blazblue is absolutely top tier. I don't think the fandom will ever forgive ArcSys not dubbing Central Fiction. Outside of a few errors (because they didn't double check with Atlus), I absolutely love Blazblue Cross Tag Battle's dub.

I also love the dub for both the game and anime of Sengoku Basara. It's too bad they didn't include the sub for the game. That probably kept people from playing it. :\

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
VIIR is the latest and greatest, really good performances with tons of character.

the timing anytime Cloud called someone out was perfect and added soo much to his persona

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 2 games with bad dubs this gen and I consider that great since we've had good performances this gen.
And note the games with bad dubs are because not of the actors... but because of the bad Voice Directors and they were Trials of Mana and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles has perhaps one of the most excellent, yet still faithful, English dubs that have ever been released.

Hearing Adam Howden screaming never ceases to impress.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
horrid eng dubs are generally more a rare exception these days. but still a thing, see: trials of mana

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Final Fantasy XV and both NIERS for sure. But tbh I never had a moment where I was like "wow the voices suck" except for like one or two titles where it truly is bad.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
In blazblue cross tag battle, thru got dub voices for the Under Night characters and in general were really good quality

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them are fine to great, tbh. The only time I didn't think so was when I was in my late teens and early twenties and anything that wasn't in its original language I viewed as garbage. Thank goodness I grew out of that.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Usually when I have this thought, I wind up seeing 8-4 in the credits.

Those people are Treehouse tier localizers.

Nov 23, 2017
EVLwAjvWsAEUjsl.jpg
One of the best first posts in history.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love both of FF XV and FF VII VA. I'm also enjoying DQ XI VA at the moment.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't have this reaction, since my default expectation is for English dubs to be good. It's not the 90s anymore, and bad dubs aren't the norm.
Have you watched any anime recently? Haikyuu and Food Wars are high profile shows with horrendous English dubs, and even the more "acceptable" dubs like My Hero Academia still insist on pronouncing character names incorrectly.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was blown away by Nier 1's voice acting, especially considering the uh... technical shortcomings of the game.

May 15, 2019
I wasn't surprised the Judgment dub was good but I was surprised just how good it was. Was expecting a middle of the road anime style dub but they went a much more natural route with it for the most part. Still played in Japanese and will continue to do so for first playthroughs in the series, but I really enjoyed watching someone stream the English version.

For an exact opposite example I was surprised how bad the Breath of the Wild dub was. You'd think with how big that franchise is Nintendo could afford to use union talent. Gave me Other M flashbacks at points.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy since X (yes even X) has had good dubs. Everything else is usually just not good enough so I switch back to Japanese. I don't like any of the Persona dubs.

Xenoblade is another good one.

Do the Souls game count because they're also on another level.

Probably the worst one that I've heard of the games I've played in the last few years is BoTW.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree with Three Houses, but also Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was a great one.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona's voice cast is usually amazing except for the the background characters.
I still laugh at the guy who calls Ann "Kamoshida's bitch" at the beginning of the game. His voice is so goofy sounding.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Final Fantasy since X (yes even X) has had good dubs. Everything else is usually just not good enough so I switch back to Japanese. I don't like any of the Persona dubs.

Xenoblade is another good one.

I've been replaying X recently, and I really feel for the actors, having to awkwardly squeeze lines into tight windows or attempt to match weird lip flaps. It comes across very stilted at times, but then you hear Hedy Burress's performance when narrating 'Yuna's Sphere' and she does an absolutely wonderful job when not bound by those constraints. And Matt Mckenzie makes it work in nearly every scene Auron's in.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia have amazing dubs, especially for their time.

Trails of Cold Steel series is fantastic too. In many ways it is equal to or superior to the original voices, as they went in and voiced more lines in the PC ports.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every dub with a budget has been great in modern times. There are numerous high quality voice acting & localization studios in the field now and a bunch of seasoned voice actors & actresses in the video game & anime fields.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
No one and i doubt that will ever change. Japanese voice acting is just too much stacked with incredible talents.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The original Xenoblade, but none of the sequels.
I agree, but disagree about XB2.
Adam Howden (Shulk) 100% nailed the role tho, and Dunban, Reyn, Sharla etc are all great.
Listening to the japanese voices is so distracting cause Fiora sounds all high pitched and IMO doesn't fit the character anywhere
near as good as the english one. Dunban also sounds way younger in japanese.

Please, for the love of god, play Xenoblade Remastered with english voices people!

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Have you watched any anime recently? Haikyuu and Food Wars are high profile shows with horrendous English dubs, and even the more "acceptable" dubs like My Hero Academia still insist on pronouncing character names incorrectly.

Except we aren't talking anime here, this is video game dubbing. I think many people overreact to dubs, they really aren't bad.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I never go in thinking a dub is going to be bad.

Fighting game wise, Blazblue is absolutely top tier. I don't think the fandom will ever forgive ArcSys not dubbing Central Fiction. Outside of a few errors (because they didn't double check with Atlus), I absolutely love Blazblue Cross Tag Battle's dub.

I also love the dub for both the game and anime of Sengoku Basara. It's too bad they didn't include the sub for the game. That probably kept people from playing it. :\
Blazblue dub rocks, Patrick Seitz in particular does a phenomenal job as Ragna! (A real shame what happened to CF... )

NieR as others pointed out had a superb dub. Other favorite of mine is XC2, love the British accents and variety of the cast (I know about the issues they had, but the VAs are very good - and we know some are wonderful persons such as Pyra's VA).

Another one that I really enjoyed is Fairy Fencer F. They did an excelent job with Fang and all the main cast. Oh, and there was Galdo with the Canadian accent, which made the character pretty unique to me!

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
That doesn't really disprove her point.
Especially since Sentai's voice directors and talent have never been very good.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
In recent memory, FF7R as others have already posted numerous times. It's probably the best period that I've heard as far as JRPGs go. The next best would be FFXII and the first Xenoblade Chronicles, although I think it's the weaker of the three mentioned. Dragon Quest XI is good too, but not without some caveats.

No one and i doubt that will ever change. Japanese voice acting is just too much stacked with incredible talents.

Not everyone wants to have to read subtitles while playing a game, and this wasn't a question of who has the best voice acting in JRPGs, but which had good English dubs.

I was thinking of them as well, but not only do I not really even consider them "JRPGs" in the first place, there's not a lot of spoken dialogue. This is one of the more memorable bits though to me.

Last edited:

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
I haven't heard of any truly bad dubs since the PS2 era. They've range from serviceable to excellent. Much of my problems lie more on the writing and the script.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
I'll echo what a lot of people already said, it's more surprising when a bad dub pops up these days. FF7R, Cold Steel, and anything 8-4 are definitely highlights, though!

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone wants to have to read subtitles while playing a game, and this wasn't a question of who has the best voice acting in JRPGs, but which had good English dubs.

Im not denying anyones right to use english dubs i just prefer japanese dubs myself because of the quality in japanese voice acting with incredible talents like Aoi Yuuki, Nana Mizuki, Mamoru Miyano, Hiroshi Kamiya or Norio Wakamoto.

And the Question was "Wow, the english dub is actually good. Which jrpgs made you say that line?" which i responded to and so far no english dub swayed me.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Nier Automata and Astral Chain were excellent. FFXV was good, I liked the voice acting but I did not like some of the translation. It didn't feel natural.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I'm really enjoying the FF7R dub. I almost always play in Japanese but I felt I wanted to hear dialogue in a fast paced action game. Cloud especially is perfect, was never quite happy with Burton in the role.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Can't be overstated how good Nier's english dub is. Liam O'Brien in particular completely stole the show as Grimoire Weiss.

Valkyrie Profile 2 was also pretty good, considering how comically bad the original's dub was. Lezard was so bad in the first one that a text-to-speech program would be an improvement, but in Silmeria? Not one bad quote, and he has a lot of them. O'Brien was also responsible for that, incidentally.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I was shocked by how good FF7R was, but I probably shouldn't have been since I also liked XV.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest VIII. This was during a time english dub was a bane to most Jrpgs and anime. Apparently the dub scene has gotten better.