• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get over how dreadfully small the roster is. Like, it's so tiny you'd have expected them to remove the 3x3 gameplay system and focus on 1v1 matches.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Hey since this is a KoF thread, can anyone answer me this - who the heck is the kid in Terry's win pose in KoF'02? This one:
Vxz7LFK.png

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
XII is a mess, but I do wish that XIII kept the larger, unfiltered sprites. I hate how they forced them to look blurry in XIII. The backgrounds across both games are incredible.

The issue is that the new high res sprites still weren't actually that high res. I remember XII getting some unfavorable comparisons with other games from the time due to that. So they just made the characters smaller on screen for XIII.

Hey since this is a KoF thread, can anyone answer me this - who the heck is the kid in Terry's win pose in KoF'02? This one:
Vxz7LFK.png

I'm pretty sure it's Rock. He even has the red eyes.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i feel like they are in a good place to move forward with KoF, i enjoyed 14

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018

The issue is that the new high res sprites still weren't actually that high res. I remember XII getting some unfavorable comparisons with other games from the time due to that. So they just made the characters smaller on screen for XIII.

I'm pretty sure it's Rock. He even has the red eyes.

Wait, but I though Geese wasn't dead in KoF, why is Rock with Terry? Is this a Piccolo situation?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, but I though Geese wasn't dead in KoF, why is Rock with Terry? Is this a Piccolo situation?

KoF is basically the Smash of SNK and follows its own rules. Everyone in it is basically from their most popular state at the time and the rules and setup of their respective games doesn't matter. It's how you have KoF Terry, Fatal Fury Geese and Garou Rock in one game (XIV) and Fatal Fury Terry with kid Rock in another (2002).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

In the Fatal Fury canon, when Geese was alive he still didn't gave a crap for Rock, who grew up with his mother living a modest life thinking on one day meeting him. So when his mother got ill, he went to Geese Tower asking for help, but he told him that he didn't care, so she died and Rock started hating him

So, in KOF canon, this probably went the same, with the difference that Geese is still alive

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
In the Fatal Fury canon, when Geese was alive he still didn't gave a crap for Rock, who grew up with his mother living a modest life thinking on one day meeting him. So when his mother got ill, he went to Geese Tower asking for help, but he told him that he didn't care, so she died and Rock started hating him

So, in KOF canon, this probably went the same, with the difference that Geese is still alive
Though thanks to SNK Heroines (which I know is not canon but still happens in a timeline after XIV) we know that Geese did fall off his tower like he did in the Fatal Fury continuity, because Terry has a nightmare of that and Rock hating him.

It's best just not to think about how the timeline works.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Though thanks to SNK Heroines (which I know is not canon but still happens in a timeline after XIV) we know that Geese did fall off his tower like he did in the Fatal Fury continuity, because Terry has a nightmare of that and Rock hating him.

Geese fell from the tower at the end of FF1 and survived somehow. I guess in the KoF timeline he just survived the fall from RBFF1 too.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Critical Counter was an exceptionally bad mechanic that made the game insanely easy. It also had the worst online I've ever seen in any fighting game. It is completely beyond every game people complain about now. Even with the best connection it was like playing underwater at all times, gargantuan lag on everything. Just incredible.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I didn't cared for the hair style change Athena had and it grew on me after some time, but she has the most baffling clashing style in the game, I mean, she's the only one with the most anime face in the game (both key art and sprite) iirc and it also makes her look younger than she is.

46a77ce32b5e04144c282a4dd71e69fc.jpg

And I don't know how to phrase this without sounding like a creep, but I like her "chubbier" appearance that she had in both XII and XIII.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I didn't cared for the hair style change Athena had and it grew on me after some time, but she has the most baffling clashing style in the game, I mean, she's the only one with the most anime face in the game (both key art and sprite) iirc and it also makes her look younger than she is.

46a77ce32b5e04144c282a4dd71e69fc.jpg

And I don't know how to phrase this without sounding like a creep, but I like her "chubbier" appearance that she had in both XII and XIII.
athena's design is supposed to throwback to her original psycho soldier look, consistency be damned

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
12 was an unfinished product and was agreed by all to be just a beta for 13. Didn't even have a real story mode and was a glitchy mess. I think the Raiden handcuff glitch came from this thing too.

Its basically what happens when you start a project, end up vastly underestimating the budget and need to release whatever the fuck you got to try and earnback enough to finish it. Since 12 did so fuck terrible it released the complete version as a sequel not some special update full edition.

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Hey now, 73 posts and no one mentioned the broken netcode the game shipped with. It was truly atrocious, horrible lag, missed inputs, dropped matches, WTF lobby system.
SNK issued a netcode patch that addressed the lag but it barely improved the situation. It's my least played KOF thanks to the small roster and netcode.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
What's the opinion on XIV?
One of my favorite KoF ever, a stepup from KoFXIII in term of gameplay and balance in my opinion. If they keep this route for the XV with more engaging graphics (but KoF visuals doesn't bother me otherwise) and more importantly functional rollback, it will be my main game of the upcoming years, hands down.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Hey now, 73 posts and no one mentioned the broken netcode the game shipped with. It was truly atrocious, horrible lag, missed inputs, dropped matches, WTF lobby system.
SNK issued a netcode patch that addressed the lag but it barely improved the situation. It's my least played KOF thanks to the small roster and netcode.

Yep, that killed the game for me right out of the gate. Absolutely stunning graphics for the time (still beautiful even now, HD sprites will likely always stand the test of time), but the lag and bad online systems just made it unplayable. I'd like to say they learned their lesson and did better with XIII in the online department, but it was just as bad, if not worse. XIV is an improvement in those areas, but it's still nowhere near what it should be.

How Rollback isn't mandatory for fighting games by this point just baffles me. It's been blindingly obvious forever now that delay based netcode just isn't satisfactory 90% of the time for fast paced fighting games. If SNK implemented it with all of their fighting games, they'd be nearly peerless when it came to quality online 2D fighters.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is why SNK almost died a second time before getting that sweet Chinese investment, and also why anyone asking for any major fighting game to switch back to sprites is a fucking lunatic (read: in every goddamn SF thread). And this was for 480p sprites. Imagine having to draw sprites at 4K resolution, and having more than the puny number in this game. It would take ages, and it would need to be outsourced to hundreds of studios, and it would cost AAAA money.

And you would still have millions of idiots claiming that "it looks like a SNES game".

A lot of people felt SNK was in a corner as games were moving to a higher definition (SFIV going 3D and Calamity Trigger's sprites going 720p) And this was SNK's attempt to keep up which turned to be a giant money sink which eventually bankrupted the gaming division and killed the series seemingly forever. Ironic since the two games after, XIII and 2002 Unlimited Match, are considered some of the best of the series

And those so-called "HD sprites" within KOF XII & KOF XIII had nearly bankrupted SNK again, to the point in which they had to depend on pachinko machines & mobile gaming until a company called 37Games had acquired them.

What's the opinion on XIV?

A lot better than XII or XIII, just that the artstyle & the graphics & the online netcode could've been more improved.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recall reports saying that 1 full animated sprite costed them like $100.000,

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
The HD sprites were awful and dragged the whole game down by how expensive they were.
Also, the special attacks looked like adobe after effects.
Also, why is Athena still wearing a school uniform, wasn't she like 21 at that time?

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I got burned so bad on it because I hadnt properly read up on it. I was at a time with a bit of money and time to spare, I saw a trailer that showed the incredible sprites and then impulse bought it full price the next time I was in the store. Felt so burned by the barebones of it all to the extent that it put me off considering KOFXIII until long after it had come out and was going for cheap on Steam. As has been said many times in the thread it is essentially an Open Access or Kickstarter bonus for making KOFXIII. I assume they NEEDED to have something out the door to put cash in the bank to allow them to finish the game, which is KOFXIII. Shameless but oh well.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I recall reports saying that 1 full animated sprite costed them like $100.000,
I believe the each individual character took several months to complete as well
it was real unsustainable and I'm still gobsmacked there's still people going "just go back to KOFXIII style it's ez"

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
KOF XI was the last real KOF, imho.

It's jarring to go from one of the best to one of the worst. ;(
You should try XIV, it might be the prettiest game, but it plays really well. And the roster is great.

If only it had good online, unless you can play with someone from your region it's not a good experience.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
You should try XIV, it might be the prettiest game, but it plays really well. And the roster is great.

If only it had good online, unless you can play with someone from your region it's not a good experience.

I think XIV is cool. But at my age, I feel like: Why would I play XIV when I can play better KOF games, such as '96~'98+XI ?

I'll give it a try. It does look fun, and I REALLY hope for KOF's resurgence. <3

(please bring back FATAL FURY, too!)

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if youre asking why they remade the sprites ... you sound like youre pretty out of touch regarding this subject, tbh. Fans were clamoring for KOF to finally be remade with modern art, the techniques they used were amazing and having such detailed sprites at that size was incredible at the time. In retrospect, their process was too costly and needed better tech so that they could ship a more feature complete game but thats really what happened, they had to ship something in order to recoup some of the investment and thats what KOF XII was, with XIII being the real game it was meant to be from the beginning ... and even then it wasnt enough to save them, having to reboot again for XIV which ... ugh, well, some people like it enough so Im not gonna shit on it, but it wasnt for me.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I mean, if youre asking why they remade the sprites ... you sound like youre pretty out of touch regarding this subject, tbh. Fans were clamoring for KOF to finally be remade with modern art, the techniques they used were amazing and having such detailed sprites at that size was incredible at the time. In retrospect, their process was too costly and needed better tech so that they could ship a more feature complete game but thats really what happened, they had to ship something in order to recoup some of the investment and thats what KOF XII was, with XIII being the real game it was meant to be from the beginning ... and even then it wasnt enough to save them, having to reboot again for XIV which ... ugh, well, some people like it enough so Im not gonna shit on it, but it wasnt for me.

I agree, I definitely think of it as a prototype for XIII.

I was excited about it at the time, but objectively, it was a pretty bad game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering why they didn't do one more game with the same sprites while spending the extra year to work on XIII, but thanks for the condencing post telling me I'm out of touch for asking a question.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The HD sprites were awful and dragged the whole game down by how expensive they were.
Also, the special attacks looked like adobe after effects.
Also, why is Athena still wearing a school uniform, wasn't she like 21 at that time?

Shingo is also still wearing a school uniform. Characters don't get older in King of Fighters. Unless you're Terry and Rock. Or Kyo. Basically, in some aspects KoF is its own standalone story, but in others they keep the whole dream match thing going even during the main storylines.

I was just wondering why they didn't do one more game with the same sprites while spending the extra year to work on XIII, but thanks for the condencing post telling me I'm out of touch.

They did make KoF 2002 Unlimited Match around the same time. The problem is that a game with barely any new sprites also has its own issues (at a time when those old sprites were considered very outdated).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this game.

This piece of shit was a lot of my friends introduction to KOF after they were getting into fighting games for the first time.

All the netplay issues turned them off immediately.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how awful this game is. Anemic roster, characters don't have half their usual moves, pretty much no modes or stages, bad online and to top it off the fighting itself is shallow as a puddle with the big system being fucking fancy counter hits.
Condescending answer aside, they seemed to nail it with 13 which was only a year later. Surely they could've waited a bit longer and released a better product? It's not like they didn't have the sprites from 2003 and XI to fill the gap with another entry.
IIRC developing KoF XII pretty much pushed them to the verge of bankruptcy. They kind of had to shit something out.

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of shocks me that Mai missed the cut 2 games in a row (XI and XII). I know she was a bonus character for the PS2 version of XI, but still, considering her overall popularity it is just a glaring omission.

It's almost as though fighting game developers determine who to put in a game based on things that aren't immediately apparent to outside observers.

A character can be recognisable or popular with a wider community of observers whilst being generally forgettable or ignored amongst people who play.

Likewise the opposite can also be true. To get a sense of this in the KOF series in particular you can have a look at some ratio charts; which are used in the community to have special 'ratio matches' where you can only pick a team that has a ratio point total that is less than or equal to a certain amount of ratio points.

Here's a Korean community chart for KOF13. Please note that ratio charts may be viewed as tierlists but they also are used to indicate overall character popularity amongst a competitive community.

CIET-9OUMAAhxr_.jpg

Compare that to a ratio chart from KOF14 in 2016.

So it may have been possible that although Mai has been a popular character amongst outside observers for some time, amongst people who play the game she can actually have a highly variable role in the series based on how she plays and how effective she is.

In addition to this she may find herself not included in certain versions if developers base their character selection on what the competitive community is currently interested at that specific time rather than what wider observers may be into.

Given that SNK would have usually assessed character popularity based on things like surveys in regional publications (NeoGeoFreak, Arcadia or similar) and via the regional communities that they had access to it seems unsurprising that they may have made character choices in the 2000s that may not align with preferences in the west during the 2010s or today.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I CAN'T HELP IF IT ASH SUCKS.

He really does but XI doesn't. SNK PLEASE MAKE A PORT OF THIS CLASSIC.

Yeah, I got into KOF after XIII was released and XII is basically the only one I haven't played. Love some of the sprites, but steroids Terry is one of my least favorites, but strangely enough I really like what they did with King.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Look if someone kills your father you have the right to steal their kid.

Especially if you knock them off of the top floor of a high rise.

I believe the each individual character took several months to complete as well
it was real unsustainable and I'm still gobsmacked there's still people going "just go back to KOFXIII style it's ez"

The sprites have a monstrous amount of detail and coupled with lots animation. I mean considered even self shadowing in the shading process too. The fact that kyo and iori have alt versions with alt costumes had to cost them real money to make. In a 3D game, just pay a fraction of the price to have someone make another costume, reuse existing animation where appropriate. Still expensive but the same amount of money goes further with 3D.

Last edited: