• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): dismissing concerns on racism
He's actually making fun of the dumb tweet he's replying to that asked if he is racist only on pictograph, or everywhere. Its a ludicrous thing to ask someone when its not even him in that image, but someone impersonating him on the app. I can't believe I even have to explain this to someone.

Half of the US voted for Trump in 2016. If you still consider each and every single one of those people a racist, today in 2021 - then I don't know what to say. That is a borderline insanity mindset to have.

No he didn't. Did you even watch the video yourself? He literally says in the video it is not okay to use racial slurs in any situation. If you want to start pulling up videos, how about these?

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

He owns an org with nmplol. They have been best friends for over 10 years. Asmongold isn't a racist.

You're fighting a losing battle when the OP can't detect the sarcasm in Asmongold's tweet regarding him being a racist everywhere lol.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You're fighting a losing battle when the OP can't detect the sarcasm in Asmongold's tweet regarding him being a racist everywhere lol.

That "sarcasm" came literally months after voting for a white supremacist and in 2020, he defended some people who use the N-word as not being as bad as other people who use the N-word.

How is this the hill that anyone would choose to die on?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
No shit Zeo, I read the OP. Thats not even Asmongold in the pictophile photo, and his response to the tweet is obviously a joke. If you actually think he is genuinely telling the world he is a 'racist everywhere' then god help you.

This is what pisses me off about this forum. Here we have an example of someone with some clearly shitty takes/opinions/mindsets on various things that he should very well be called out on and then address. Yet that shit never happens because you people will literally gather every single label under the sun using the most baseless evidence and throw everything at them to see what sticks. It creates an absolutely pathetic platform to jump off from that no one even takes seriously and as a result, nothing changes. You play yourself, every time.
In my opinion, you read it wrong. When someone accuses you of racism and other things, more than once, and you try to make juvenile jokes, you show that you don't take the subject seriously. And male white gamers who "joke" about that and don't take it with a modicum of seriousness…you know, it sure looks like he's enabling himself.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
He's a piece of shit. Its no secret. His base just grown a lot more over the years. He's known to use many racial slurs. I'm surprised Twitch hasn't warned or suspended his account for a while.
The whiplash between this and...

He's actually making fun of the dumb tweet he's replying to that asked if he is racist only on pictograph, or everywhere. Its a ludicrous thing to ask someone when its not even him in that image, but someone impersonating him on the app. I can't believe I even have to explain this to someone.

Half of the US voted for Trump in 2016. If you still consider each and every single one of those people a racist, today in 2021 - then I don't know what to say. That is a borderline insanity mindset to have.

No he didn't. Did you even watch the video yourself? He literally says in the video it is not okay to use racial slurs in any situation. If you want to start pulling up videos, how about these?

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

He owns an org with nmplol. They have been best friends for over 10 years. Asmongold isn't a racist.
Which is it?

Are you calling people who say this liars?

A whole lot of "but actually someone who made a name for themselves while stanning for Trump can't possibly be racist for reasons".

Also people who vote for a racist are bad enough.

People who outwardly support Trump are racists more often than not.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It really is astounding the mental gymnastics some of y'all will go through to defend this man. It would be almost impressive if it wasn't so painfully pathetic.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Making a sarcastic joke about racism when you've already made legitimate racist remarks and even voted for a white supremacist doesn't suddenly make you not racist.

Really, y'all just focus on the one or two things that you can formulate an excuse for then ignore the rest.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Excusing racism and trolling around racism concerns over multiple posts
One year ago, he defended people who use racial slurs.
Not in that video you posted. 🤷‍♂️ He says slurs are bad but there's value in distinguishing between people with different intent which is almost tautologically true. Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes calling a jew a kike vs NBA player Meyers Leonard doing the same during a CoD match is different, but both are bad. Unless your take on slurs is utterly one-dimensional (like "the effect is the only thing that matters"), you have to agree with this. Intent matters and you know it's true: A black person calling another black the n-word is no big deal, because the intent is made obvious by the fact that the person is unlikely to be racist against themself. The effect (being offended, being discriminated against, etc.) is obviously heavily affected by the assumed intent.

If you have a different reading of that video, feel free to share your interpretation.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not in that video you posted. 🤷‍♂️ He says slurs are bad but there's value in distinguishing between people with different intent which is almost tautologically true.

There is no difference.

I can't fucking believe that we have people here arguing the "intent" of a white person using the N word.

Of course, he also -- only 3 months ago -- called people "stupid" if they think it's wrong to say the R-word. So you're going to pick and choose what to defend.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's a shit head. Best way to combat it is to not give him the time of day or space in your mind.

As for FF14's community... It's been pretty toxic at high level content behind closed doors since 2.0. I'm def not saying its right, it's completely repulsed me from my original FC, but that's where the energy comes from.

Cancelling only works when the person you're cancelling will feel shame. Will be interesting to see if SE is consistent with their moderation when he inevitably steps out of line in game.

That being said I'm surprised era of all places can't see why the shit he does isn't okay.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
That "sarcasm" came literally months after voting for a white supremacist and in 2020, he defended some people who use the N-word as not being as bad as other people who use the N-word.

How is this the hill that anyone would choose to die on?
People will find an excuse to defend anything tbh, if anything OP it's a losing battle to even engage with people like this they are clearly not arguing in good faith here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"he cant be racist because he said racism is bad" is some pretty transparent compartmentalization considering years of examples of this dude showing his ass, "playing a character" or not. Just admit you're subbed on Twitch.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are you guys going out of your way to defend this guy, given everything we know about him? I feel like my ignore user button is about to get a workout.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
The dude is just really weird. One day he'll be insightful, positive and tries to instill his younger viewers with good values the next day he'll say some mad dumb shit. It's just really hard to figure him out, I think he himself don't know who he actually is or what he stands for. I remember him taking some sort of political test and the result ended up leaning pretty left and he almost rejected the result. He needs to grow up and be held accountable.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Why did you cut out the part where I explained why intent matters? 😂 I'm just correct.

Because it was the usual nonsense spoken by people who defend racism.

Did you really want me to quote this and bring more attention to it?

A black person calling another black the n-word is no big deal, because the intent is made obvious by the fact that the person is unlikely to be racist against themself.

We aren't talking about that. We're talking about white people using the word, which is what he was talking about in that video. But you decided to weirdly turn the attention to Black people using the word themselves.

Literally irrelevant to the thread.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
"he cant be racist because he said racism is bad" is some pretty transparent compartmentalization considering years of examples of this dude showing his ass, "playing a character" or not. Just admit you're subbed on Twitch.
"Racism is bad"... Bans people for using slurs... Proceeds to unban people who used a racial slur because "they were simply being an idiot and deserve a second chance"... Yep, all's good.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thread has been locked while we review a large number of reports. This may take an extended period of time. Any updates will be added to this post. Thank you for your patience.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ick ick ick, at first I didn't care but now I know he's scum

Also explains why my old racist coworker was a super fan too

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I also missed this thread because it was locked so quickly. I learned about Asmongold's behaviors from the other threads.

Thanks for re-opening it.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I'd seen posts about this guy in the FFXIV reddit (namely his apparently *past* hoarding, so I mostly felt bad for him at the time), but nothing about the racism. Could a non-shitty person become a super popular game streamer, please?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
None of this is surprising. His chat is a cesspool of incels and aggrieved conservatives.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched hasan defend him yesterday. He was bashing blizzard for the recent lawsuit/scandal. Had no idea about this other stuff.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah dude is trash ,and fuck all the people who use the "he's just playing a character" defense, naw he's just a shit person and I lost respect for all those streamers who have collabed with him.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Since the post was locked since last sunday, are there any recent developments or got his shitty takes more traction?
Besides Hasan defending him? why did he though?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that him and his OTK collective have just been accepted by the FFXIV twitch community. It makes no sense to me.
Using the r word in 2021 is just completely unacceptable and as someone who work with children who have learning disabilities as part of my job, I have an extra hatred toward people who use it.

and yea, it has been very disappointing to see Zepla , one of the big FFXIV streamers, just embrace him and collaborate with him like he is special .

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Never heard of him until now, but seems like a real piece of shit. The whole "intent is what matters when saying these words" argument is so transparent, it's shocking that people who claim to have a functioning brain continue to use it and ignore the fact that it falls apart under even the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Besides Hasan defending him? why did he though?
I think I found the context. Though, tl;dw, he didn't really address the controversy at all, just a clip of Asmond talking about why he believes in taxation/welfare. Honestly, from what I'm gathering, Hasan just doesn't take Asmond seriously enough to be able to dislike him. Like, it seems Hasan doesn't agree with Asmond on things, thinks he doesn't hold any dangerous amount of influence, and also that he could be worse than he is. I'm not saying I agree with him, it's just what I understand his take to be. For me personally, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to disagree with Hasan on a regular basis, but enjoy his content enough to power through it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
He actually has a second stream channel where he is a lot more blunt.

Recently said something about it is mainly ugly women against sexualisation of female characters because they are jealous.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Done watching this guy. If only I knew before. Only started watching him because of FFXIV. What a vile fucking asshole. Done with his ass.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't suppose you have a link to that clip perhaps?
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Also includes your standard "guys don't care, they just pretend to try to get girls" and "male characters are really buff, yet nobody complains about male sexualisation".

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate that him and his OTK collective have just been accepted by the FFXIV twitch community. It makes no sense to me.
Using the r word in 2021 is just completely unacceptable and as someone who work with children who have learning disabilities as part of my job, I have an extra hatred toward people who use it.

and yea, it has been very disappointing to see Zepla , one of the big FFXIV streamers, just embrace him and collaborate with him like he is special .

Don't know who Zepla is but even when I played XIV in the early days (hell even with XI) there was this weird tribalism between FF Online (XI before and XIV now) and WoW and for some people the increased exposure of your game and "winning" comes before anything else.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I wish more folks realized that shitty people willingly contradict themselves when they spread hateful messages. Individuals who are somehow worse than this guy will advocate violence by saying that they "do not condone violence" but "all peaceful options have been expended". Chuds like asmongold will say something shitty then go "haha, it was all a bit, and i was playing a character, jokes on you". They know what they are doing, and falling for their smokescreen is disingenuous as fuck.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Also includes your standard "guys don't care, they just pretend to try to get girls" and "male characters are really buff, yet nobody complains about male sexualisation".
Totally a character worth defending.

Also I love how the "BUT HE'S NOT A RACIST" brigade appeared and completely avoided the sexism and ableism to try while attempting to discredit anyone sick of people like this.

Not even they could be bothered to counter that but used racism because they too, likely feel that it isn't racist to use racial slurs if "you don't intend it" or something.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So many people in this thread defending this nonsense, glad they've been dealt with. I fucking can't stand the idolatry that comes with online personalities, people leap to defend a shitty white dude whose on video saying the R word repeatedly or saying white people should be able to say the N word because he makes video game videos.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

holy shit at whoever titled that clip. Many of his fans are just as bad as him, if not more direct with their misogyny and bigotry. When I once looked in on an FFXIV stream of his, that chat was one of the most toxic things I have seen.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
holy shit at whoever titled that clip. Many of his fans are just as bad as him, if not more direct with their misogyny and bigotry. When I once looked in on an FFXIV stream of his, that chat was one of the most toxic things I have seen.

He fosters a very toxic chat. An alternate version of the video I had in the OP but with the reaction from his chat

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns About Bigotry
Idk. A lot of the tweets and stuff linked create an outdated snapshot of him. Watching a few of his streams the last few days it's clear to me he's a different person now, but that doesn't mean that different person isn't still trash.

Dude is an obstinate centrist who has shown that he clearly has real difficulty empathizing with others. The unfortunate part about his situation, I find, is that the dude has shown he has the ability to grow to become a better person but he has no motivator to do so. He's surrounded by pretty terrible people and enabled by tens of thousands of losers who hang on his every word.

I guess as a former obstinate centrist who radicalized himself and then helped multiple friend groups do the same thing, he just makes me sad... But, yeah, I'm done watching him, even out of morbid curiosity.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he called people who put pronouns in their bios "clowns" tells you all you need to know. That's a classic transphobic comment. To say nothing of his defense of racial slurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.