• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I started to get into FFXIV recently and started to watch his content (was never into WoW). He really doesn't seem that bad from what I've seen of him. I do think he is a genuine US republican (with all the shittyness that comes with it). I guess I just don't hold entertainers or people to such standards. As it would make it impossible to enjoy anything or have relationships if I did.

I always disliked creating a narrative where one recent indirectly at best problematic thing makes all the 3/4 year old stuff applicable again. This is someone that pretty much has his entire on the internet and you still need look for old stuff? I honestly think that the reason why some you can enjoy the stuff that you like is because you don't know the personal views of every person/creator.
He never paid any price his his rampant sexism, racism or ableism, and now it's too late to care? Despite evidence this has seen no change in the person involved and they continue to keep these views intact.

What a take.

3 years is nothing. This isn't some edgy period as a teen in the 90s or some shit.

If you want to cover you eyes and ears and pretend this person is worth watching over hundreds and thousands of other people, be my guest.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Excusing bigotry over multiple posts
He never paid any price his his rampant sexism, racism or ableism, and now it's too late to care? Despite evidence this has seen no change in the person involved and they continue to keep these views intact.

What a take.
"Rampant sexism, racism or ableism"

Really? How do you expect the average person to take you seriously if you hit the hyperbole this hard.

Dude has shitty opinions at times, which is not reflected in the fast majority of his content. Nor is there any evidence that he has screwed anyone over in person.

3 years is nothing. This isn't some edgy period as a teen in the 90s or some shit.

If you want to cover you eyes and ears and pretend this person is worth watching over hundreds and thousands of other people, be my guest.
Nah, I just live in a world where I'd like to interact with more people than within my tiny bubble. So do you for example shy away from Zepla too who seems like a decent person, but she interacts with asmongold as well. Despite what you think, I really doubt there hundreds and thousands of streamers that are the paragon of social consciousness and have good content. Even if you think they are "Good" don't be too surprised when they get "exposed" as well.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Excusing bigotry
Asmon has some shitty takes but I wouldn't call him racist considering he's banned people saying racist trash in his chat and even got somebody banned in WoW for having a racist name.
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

and has talked about racism and how its a huge issue in wow
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

He's been pretty consistent on not letting any racism fly in his community.

Also the whole "he's a trump supporter" take is like not telling the whole story. Yes he voted trump in 2016, but the amount of criticism of trump in 2019/2020 was quite large.

Super excited for Trump to (most likely) recover from Coronavirus and then claim that it's not a big deal thus rationalizing further not wearing masks or taking the virus seriously

a number of the stuff in the OP asmongold has addressed/clarified. I'm not saying that absolves him of all fault but its not like it was swept under the rug.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
So uh did he vote for Biden then in 2020? I'm gonna guess not lol

I think honestly if you voted for Trump in 2016 and only had reservations going into 19 and 20 it's a bit disingenuous. It wasn't a huge mystery how the guy would turn out to be. I think for Asmon the only issue I remember him having with Trump is Asmon really took C19 seriously and was afraid to leave the house at all. From what I saw it was only as it began to affect him directly like that when he started to vocalise out loud his issues with the guy. I could be wrong on this but I didn't see that as much of a change of conscience at all.

Again I'm fine with being corrected on any of that cause I don't want to be posting nonsense on a thread about a public figure, but it's how I saw it

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing bigotry, prior severe bans for similar behavior
Gonna just crosspost what I said about him in one of the other recent threads:

Re: Asmongold, never heard of or watched this guy before this past week but I've checked out parts of several of his streams the last few days, and he genuinely seems to be positive on the game and enjoying it like anyone else. And honestly, I don't see him as toxic in any way either, nor supporting toxicity. If anything I've seen the opposite from him, very vocally supporting vaccinations, talking about not making fun of autistic people (and basically saying he himself is autistic), and generally batting down hate, including racism, he does happen to see in his chat room.

Clearly all that doesn't excuse any comments he may have made in the past, and like I said don't know the guy personally nor have I followed him regularly, but frankly I'd want to see context to some of these things that people in this topic are trying to use to slander him... Because based on what I've seen in the few streams I've watched, he just doesn't seem like that type of guy. Now, he clearly doesn't shy away from controversial topics, but I think that is more just he doesn't give a shit/isn't scared to talk about something rather than actually being malicious or hateful in any way whatsoever. From what I've seen, If he's asked to talk about something, he also typically goes on about it for 10 - 20 minutes. So I am guessing any short clips trying to frame him up for something are lacking some serious context. Right now he seems like a very positive addition to the FFXIV community that will surely only better the game given the greater attention he will bring to it.

Asmon has some shitty takes but I wouldn't call him racist considering he's banned people saying racist trash in his chat and even got somebody banned in WoW for having a racist name.
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

and has talked about racism and how its a huge issue in wow
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

He's been pretty consistent on not letting any racism fly in his community.

Also the whole "he's a trump supporter" take is like not telling the whole story. Yes he voted trump in 2016, but the amount of criticism of trump in 2019/2020 was quite large.

a number of the stuff in the OP asmongold has addressed/clarified. I'm not saying that absolves him of all fault but its not like it was swept under the rug.
Generally I agree with this post too.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Asmongold kinda strikes me as an avatar of the bad old days of the gaming community. Juvenile, abrasive, but also smart enough to avoid spewing slurs or overt abuse. The kind of guy who would support gamergate but also claim not to really know that much about it. I guess he's popular because a lot of Gamers are on his wavelength, and he seems very good at running a stream and engaging with live chat while playing an MMO.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Dude comes off as a general asshole in vids (his shitty gold making videos were always pushed on me), which could be a persona…but his twitter is disgusting "it doesn't affect me so why are you whining?" Filth. So fuck him and his pets. If this is the high mark of MMO twitch, may god have mercy on our souls.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for compiling the thread, it's useful to have all in one place. I definitely won't be supporting or following this streamer.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I watch Hasan here and there, and I remember a week ago, he was looking for a clip of this guy (not sure what their relationship is) and opened up the wrong one, strangely enough, starting off with this guy saying the R-slur. Terrible first impression. I remember tuning my brain out to another window while he looked for the right clip, although Hasan did close the window immediately and apologized, lol. I'm not sure why so many popular streamers hang around this guy or give him a platform. Kind of reminds me of the guy who was staying with Mizkif a while back, and had his neo-nazi dirty laundry aired publicly. At the same time, I'm not surprised... one of the reasons I have always stayed away from Twitch and streamers to an extent is because this was their culture (for the most part). It's getting better as of late, but it's come a long way.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm worried about the kind of people he would be attracting to FF14. The community has always been welcoming and wholesome for the most part and fuckheads like this don't belong there.

(I also don't want the toxicity from WoW to spread into the game either)

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm worried about the kind of people he would be attracting to FF14. The community has always been welcoming and wholesome for the most part and fuckheads like this don't belong there.

At least the king of "heated gamer moments" isn't on FF XIV…right?

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
"Rampant sexism, racism or ableism"

Really? How do you expect the average person to take you seriously if you hit the hyperbole this hard.

Dude has shitty opinions at times, which is not reflected in the fast majority of his content. Nor is there any evidence that he has screwed anyone over in person.

How are we supposed to take you seriously when you write off using slurs as an "opinion."

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I guess none of this should surprise me after learning about his Trump support. Yet still all feels like a lot to take in. And fuck that "the people I offend with my ableism are idiots" take.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Umm wtf. Dude's been an out and open bigot for the longest time. How is this the first time I'm hearing about this? He was getting mentioned in every thread with the recent uptick in FF14 players. Even watched one of his videos to understand what was going on.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Asmongold is playing a character. That doesn't really make any of what has been noted in the OP ok but he does this for views. If you ever catch his Zachrawr streams you will see he is completely different.

Edit: and also those tweets were years ago. I know he's apologized about the pronouns tweet and he has been adamant about banning any hate speech or things along those lines.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
How are we supposed to take you seriously when you write off using slurs as an "opinion."
Apparently using autism as a term of abuse is an opinion now.

As always, those impacted by these things have to sit down and shut up because "they're just words an opinions, why are you mad".

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Asmongold is playing a character. That doesn't really make any of what has been noted in the OP ok but he does this for views.

Aside from the idea that he's playing a character being ridiculous and false, it's also irrelevant. Why bring it up at all, if you think it doesn't make it ok?

If you ever catch his Zachrawr streams you will see he is completely different.

You sure?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Asmongold is playing a character. That doesn't really make any of what has been noted in the OP ok but he does this for views. If you ever catch his Zachrawr streams you will see he is completely different.
That's worse. Playing an awful character with the harm to people they punch down upon that brings for profit.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
So uh did he vote for Biden then in 2020? I'm gonna guess not lol

He said he did not vote in the last election.

2016 Asmongold was really really bad. He was definitely on the Trump train, and even though he seems to have moderated himself these last years and decreased his use of slurs it's hard to dissect if that is just an act with his ever increasing popularity to become less controversial and more appealing to his larger audience or if it's genuine change.

This discussion was taken between Destiny and Asmongold on August 2017, and makes it clear he had no clue what he was talking about.

Also in September 2020 he took the political compass which shocked him where he ended up more left leaning than Bernie Sanders and began calling it biased.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
People still pretending literal 1-2 years ago in a grown man's life is like some kind of long forgotten, almost archeologically questionable "past".

Stop that crap lol. It's fine if he all of a sudden did a 180 late in life, but don't act like he was, like, 8 years old way back when.

edit omg @ "only playing a character". Great, then he's being a racist prick not because he's racist, but he gets money off being racist! Way better! 💯

Let's be real, the guy would have been (rightfully) banned on Era a long time ago, but because he has a gazillion viewers even on here, he's somehow exempt from moral standards and responsibility for actions and words. My god, gamers.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Asmongold is weird. I followed his stream for a while, and he always came across more as a liberal, yet he acts like a conservative a lot of the times. I'm sure it's partly his character, because on his second stream he's completely different. It's shitty, but this is what's bringing him the money I guess.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain

Edit: and also those tweets were years ago. I know he's apologized about the pronouns tweet and he has been adamant about banning any hate speech or things along those lines.
"He's only racist/ableist for the money" doesn't seem better to me.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread OP and really shining a light on this piece of shit that so many on this site are completely willing to give a free pass. It's especially embarrassing over in the FFXIV OT and actively makes me not want to post in there. Nearly half that thread is people saying "oh it's just a character he plays" and "He's changed" and it's fucking horseshit, it's an act. But no matter what you say, people here insist this dude has done no wrong. This place is legit feels like it's 4chan for "Liberals" at times, but I digress.

Not to mention the larger XIV community are also so willing to overlook outright bigotry and ableism because he's famous and for what I can only assume is to feel some vain sense of sense of validation that the funny streamer man said their favorite MMO is good. It's fucking pathetic, and what's even more pathetic is like 90% of XIV content creators absolutely kissing this dudes ass and making him the focal point of nearly all discussion about the game for over six fucking months. But as soon as people bring up this dude is a bad actor people just endlessly regurgitate "stop gatekeeping!", like the phrase has lost all fucking meaning.

The whole situation vexes me, I wish I could be happier about the new influx of players to XIV (and I still sort of am, new people playing a great game is always good) but I wish it wasn't ushered in from the rallying cry of a reprehensible lout like Asmongold.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some of the defense replies here are ridiculously strange.

"He's changed! He's a better person now!" or "He's playing a character. None of it is real."

Pick one. You can't have both.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Thank you for making this thread OP and really shining a light on this piece of shit that so many on this sight are completely willing to give a free pass. It's especially embarrassing over in the FFXIV OT and actively makes me not want to post in there. Nearly half that thread is people saying "oh it's just a character he plays" and "He's changed" and it's fucking horseshit, it's an act. But no matter what you say, people here insist this dude has done no wrong. This place is legit feels like it's 4chan for "Liberals" at times.

Not to mention the larger XIV community are also so willing to overlook outright bigotry and ableism because he's famous and for what I can only assume is to feel some vain sense of sense of validation that the funny streamer man said their favorite MMO is good. It's fucking pathetic, and what's even more pathetic is like 90% of XIV content creators absolutely kissing this dudes ass and making him the focal point of nearly all discussion about the game for over six fucking months. But as soon as people bring up this dude is a bad actor people just endlessly regurgitate "stop gatekeeping!", like the phrase has lost all fucking meaning.

The whole situation vexes me, I wish I could be happier about the new influx of players to XIV (and I am!) but I wish it wasn't ushered in from the rallying cry of a reprehensible lout like Asmongold.
This is where I stand as well.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for making this thread OP and really shining a light on this piece of shit that so many on this sight are completely willing to give a free pass. It's especially embarrassing over in the FFXIV OT and actively makes me not want to post in there. Nearly half that thread is people saying "oh it's just a character he plays" and "He's changed" and it's fucking horseshit, it's an act. But no matter what you say, people here insist this dude has done no wrong. This place is legit feels like it's 4chan for "Liberals" at times. But I digress.

The whole situation vexes me, I wish I could be happier about the new influx of players to XIV (and I am!) but I wish it wasn't ushered in from the rallying cry of a reprehensible lout like Asmongold.

I have nothing against the OP but I'm not sure what part of the XIV community you follow other than the OT here in ERA. In Twitter almost nobody likes him and most people post screenshots of him and Quinn being blocked because we're all tired of posts about sTrEamErs and in r/FFXIV there have been continuous posts asking to stop talking about streamers or at least to classify those.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I am not tbh. Because if you are an ass in FFXIV you get banned quite quickly and once people learn that no matter where they are from or why they are playing the game - they either learn and improve their behaviour or get banned and stop playing.

Atleast thats my experience with toxic behaviour in the game.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing against the OP but I'm not sure what part of the XIV community you follow other than the OT here in ERA. In Twitter almost nobody likes him and most people post screenshots of him and Quinn being blocked because we're all tired of posts about sTrEamErs and in r/FFXIV there have been continuous posts asking to stop talking about streamers or at least to classify those.
I'll admit I don't frequent the sub Reddit but what little I see of the XIV side of Twitter there are plenty who I see defend him in reply's to tweets about him. Not to mention the aforementioned content creators who've been pushing the dude on the community at every opportunity and avenue. Creators like Zepla and Desperious have been simping for this dude for ages and it's bizarre. Especially when it seems like they should definitely know better. But in any case my evidence outside of ERA at least is mostly anecdotal but I don't think it's crazy to say that there isn't a sizable portion of the community that likes him. Hell, his very presence basically crashed one of the starting cities in the game when he did his first stream for gods sake.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should contact SE on twitter on their thoughts of welcoming an openly racist streamer to the game.
"He's only racist/ableist for the money" doesn't seem better to me.
edit omg @ "only playing a character". Great, then he's being a racist prick not because he's racist, but he gets money off being racist! Way better! 💯
Asmongold isn't a racist. Perhaps put at least some consideration into the labels you put on someone.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'll admit I don't frequent the sub Reddit but what little I see of the XIV side of Twitter there are plenty who I see defend him in reply's to tweets about him. Not to mention the aforementioned content creators who've been pushing the dude on the community at every opportunity and avenue. Creators like Zepla and Desperious have been simping for this dude for ages and it's bizarre. Especially when it seems like they should definitely know better. But in any case my evidence outside of ERA at least is mostly anecdotal but I don't think it's crazy to say that there isn't a sizable portion of the community that likes him. Hell, his very presence basically crashed one of the starting cities in the game when he did his first stream for gods sake.

I mean, he's a dude that plays MMOs, obviously the ones who followed him were mostly his fans. People have this iamge that the FFXIV and WoW communities are completely and absolutely separate when they are (unfortunately) not. His community, at least part of it, probably has played XIV for a while now.

Zepla I don't get her, she released a video complaining about "gatekeeping" and shit like that and it was very disappointing to see, I thought she knew better. Obviously she has an emotional attachment to WoW so I guess she doesn't like to see the game criticized. Desperious I've watched some of his guides but I don't really know him anyways.

At the end of the day, as you said, the experience outside of ERA is anecdotical, and honestly I still remember 2 weeks ago when r/ffxiv was full of posts against him specifically and wow streamers in general. As for the experience in the game servers, thankfully I play in Light so I haven't really felt any change other than what was already happening since ShB's release (slower loading times, lots of sprouts, big queues).

In any case I do agree in general that I would very much like for WoW players to just stay over there.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Asmongold isn't a racist. Perhaps put at least some consideration into the labels you put on someone.

I asked people to read the entire OP before posting.

pQtvLzD.png

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked people to read the entire OP before posting.

pQtvLzD.png
No shit Zeo, I read the OP. Thats not even Asmongold in the pictophile photo, and his response to the tweet is obviously a joke. If you actually think he is genuinely telling the world he is a 'racist everywhere' then god help you.

This is what pisses me off about this forum. Here we have an example of someone with some clearly shitty takes/opinions/mindsets on various things that he should very well be called out on and then address. Yet that shit never happens because you people will literally gather every single label under the sun using the most baseless evidence and throw everything at them to see what sticks. It creates an absolutely pathetic platform to jump off from that no one even takes seriously and as a result, nothing changes. You play yourself, every time.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
In any case I do agree in general that I would very much like for WoW players to just stay over there.
I can't agree with you there. I don't want to bar WoW players from playing the game. I think it's great that more people want to play the game. Especially WoW players, they got it rough over there. They gotta deal with Blizzard. I just want the community to stop propping up a bigot as a new pillar of the community. He can play the game all he wants even. I don't care. I just want the community to be better.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No shit Zeo, I read the OP. Thats not even Asmongold in the pictophile photo, and his response to the tweet is obviously a joke.

Ah, that classic joke where you claim to be a racist months after literally voting for a white supremacist.

This is what pisses me off about this forum. Here we have an example of someone with some clearly shitty takes/opinion/mindsets on various thing that should very well be called out on and then addressed by himself. Yet that shit never happens because you people will literally gather every single label under the sun and throw it at someone to see what sticks. It creates an absolutely pathetic platform to jump off from that no one even takes seriously and as a result, nothing changes. You play yourself, every time.

One year ago, he defended people who use racial slurs.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
I ran into his content by accident, started watching. Knew nothing about it him before that. Then, during one of his streams he starts to unban people who used a racial slur "to give them a second chance" saying shit like "you're just an idiot". That was a big enough red flag for me, so I stopped watching.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's a piece of shit. Its no secret. His base just grown a lot more over the years. He's known to use many racial slurs. I'm surprised Twitch hasn't warned or suspended his account for a while.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I can't agree with you there. I don't want to bar WoW players from playing the game. I think it's great that more people want to play the game. Especially WoW players, they got it rough over there. They gotta deal with Blizzard. I just want the community to stop propping up a bigot as a new pillar of the community. He can play the game all he wants even. I don't care. I just want the community to be better.

I've had too many clashes with WoW players before the exodus and in general I think that, barring the game itself having the mechanisms to stop it (it's simply a very different game from WoW), they might push for more endgame stuff when XIV isn't about that. To the ones that enjoy the game, cool, the ones that already come with preconceived notions and focused on the endgame I don't really wanna play with them.

He's a piece of shit. Its no secret. His base just grown a lot more over the years. He's known to use many racial slurs. I'm surprised Twitch hasn't warned or suspended his account for a while.

Well, to be fair, at this point I think what Twitch *doesn't* do is no more a surprise unfortunately. :/

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 months): Excusing bigotry over multiple posts
Ah, that classic joke where you claim to be a racist months after literally voting for a white supremacist.
He's actually making fun of the dumb tweet he's replying to that asked if he is racist only on pictograph, or everywhere. Its a ludicrous thing to ask someone when its not even him in that image, but someone impersonating him on the app. I can't believe I even have to explain this to someone.

Half of the US voted for Trump in 2016. If you still consider each and every single one of those people a racist, today in 2021 - then I don't know what to say. That is a borderline insanity mindset to have.
One year ago, he defended people who use racial slurs.
No he didn't. Did you even watch the video yourself? He literally says in the video it is not okay to use racial slurs in any situation. If you want to start pulling up videos, how about these?

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

He owns an org with nmplol. They have been best friends for over 10 years. Asmongold isn't a racist.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He's actually making fun of the dumb tweet he's replying to that asked if he is racist only on pictograph, or everywhere. Its a ludicrous thing to ask someone when its not even him in that image, but someone impersonating him on the app. I can't believe I even have to explain this to someone.

That isn't a joke. He said it months after voting for a white supremacist. Why are you ignoring that fact?

And years after voting for a white supremacist, he is on stream using slurs. Like, literally days ago.

Half of the US voted for Trump in 2016. If you still consider each and every single one of those people a racist, today in 2021 - then I don't know what to say. That is a borderline insanity mindset to have.

Every single person that voted for Trump in 2016 willingly voted for a man whose ENTIRE CAMPAIGN was based around racism and xenophobia.

Now, you might have a point if he went out of his way to stop Trump in 2020. Instead, he spread the factually incorrect lie that Biden and Trump were both equally bad and sat at home because Trump's racist, homophobic and transphobic policies didn't impact him.

No he didn't. Did you even watch the video yourself? He literally says in the video it is not okay to use racial slurs in any situation. If you want to start pulling up videos, how about these?

So just to clarify: you too believe that there is a difference between using the N-word if you're a "genuine racist" and using the N-word if you're "just sperging out."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.