• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
7/23 UPDATE:

As pointed out later in this thread, this video is from just last week.

In it, he claims that women who are bothered by the oversexualization of female characters in video games are just "ugly and insecure" and that men are actually more oversexualized in video games that women.

The incredibly toxic and unmoderated chat that he fosters -- shown by the name of the clip itself -- is in full agreement with his blatantly sexist take.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

----------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

(Please only reply if you have read the entire OP.)

With the recent attention on streamers moving over to Final Fantasy XIV, a lot of it has gone to Asmongold's experience with the game and a very popular clip of him being greeting by players for the first time. Because of that, a lot of people (such as myself) are discovering him for the first time and perhaps were not/are not aware of how problematic he has been and continues to be. Others have strangely defended him when these tweets and clips are brought up.

As he has received a recent uptick in recognition and he is being mentioned/boosted up quite a bit here on Era. I think it's important to bring some of this to the forefront.

First and foremost, he openly supported Donald Trump, a white supremacist who ran on racist fearmongering, during the 2016 election.

LQhvG3d.png

hIs3BY8.png

s7Qt6Ia.png

I have seen some point out that he used his Twitter over the past year to mock Trump and anti-vaxxers, as well as pushing for people to get vaccinated.

Unfortunately, that goes out the window when he used his Twitch streams to say that both Trump and Biden are equally bad and that he doesn't know if he'll vote at all, claiming that he doesn't "care who wins" and that it "doesn't matter" to him -- which he did on his streams last fall -- along with a straw poll that resulted in the majority of his chat stating that they would be voting for Trump. (There are multiple videos on YouTube that show his political takes throughout last fall's election.)

As some will likely say, those Trump-supporting tweets are a few years old at this point. However, the other problematic issues have continued, as more recently he has used gay slurs and racial slurs on social media, mocked those who choose to announce their pronouns and defended the use of slurs on Twitch.

pQtvLzD.png

UuwO9JA.png

fjm3Ryc.png

kp5R5SN.png

So we are now at the point where some might say, "Those are from three years ago. He's changed since then."

The problem is that he actually hasn't.

Last year, he defended the use of a racial slur, claiming that there is somehow a difference between using the slur if you're a "genuine racist" and if you're "just sperging out."

This now brings us to the multiple times over the past year where he has defended his use of an ableist slur, with one clip being as recent as three months ago. He claims that he will continue to use it and that anyone who has an issue with it is "stupid."

I think the most telling part of the most recent clip is the pat on the back he gives himself because he decided to stop using the word "autistic" on his own and not because anyone else told him to.

Every single person enjoys the content of someone who did something problematic in their past. But this is not about old tweets from 5-10 years ago and it is not only about something he said on a stream in 2016. This is a case of someone with a very large and varied problematic history, who is continuing to use his platform in such a way today.

Last edited:

hygogg33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
This guy sucks but lol at I'm not trying to cancel him but here are a ton of reasons why he should be canceled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised at all considering how he presents himself. Dude is the textbook definition of the "I don't care about anything, so I can say whatever I want" type.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I saw mention of some of these incidents in part of the initial FFXIV community backlash stories that emerged when he started streaming the game.

While I don't think the in-game harassment was the best way to respond to his presence, I do think it was at least partially motivated by knowledge of some of these incidents. Some members of the XIV community were deeply concerned that his presence, based on his past behaviors, was going to potentially be ruinous to XIV's reputation of being home to a pretty wholesome community.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
well... yes? Everyone knows and there's a reason why most people don't like him. Which is why it was especially jarring to see the FF14 community take him on as his new champion

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
Truly don't understand the appeal of him. He's never saying anything particularly insightful and yells more than most raid leaders. I watched him on twitch playing xiv for a bit this week and he just kept yelling 'big dick damage' over and over

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I think he also had a Trump MAGA cap in his background during streams during the 2016 election. He never really shied away from showing that. He probably realised publicly supporting Trump is bad for business when you can just go with the both sides nonsense. I was actually surprised when he had a sensible take when the whole me too stuff in gaming came out last year.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The autistic and r word clip pissed me off so damn much. This guy shouldn't be celebrated.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he also had a Trump MAGA cap in his background during streams during the 2016 election. He never really shied away from showing that. He probably realised publicly supporting Trump is bad for business when you can just go with the both sides nonsense. I was actually surprised when he had a sensible take when the whole me too stuff in gaming came out last year.
it was a "Make Azeroth Great Again" cap.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I saw mention of some of these incidents in part of the initial FFXIV community backlash stories that emerged when he started streaming the game.

While I don't think the in-game harassment was the best way to respond to his presence, I do think it was at least partially motivated by knowledge of some of these incidents. Some members of the XIV community were deeply concerned that his presence, based on his past behaviors, was going to potentially be ruinous to XIV's reputation of being home to a pretty wholesome community.

Oh man, I've been curious about this exact thing. In general, a massive influx of people tends to look like a threat in the eyes of any established community, and to a large degree this particular influx has been driven by a fairly toxic individual who seems antithetical to the FFXIV community's values. Not just his South Park-y attitude, but also more innocuous things, like how he's going to be bringing a much bigger emphasis to a hardcore, raid-driven playstyle than the average FFXIV player really seems to care for.

As cool as it has been seeing all the stories of FFXIV's incredible success recently, growth can have pros and cons, y'know? It would be dramatic to assume that the community is actually under any kind of threat, everything will probably be okay, but I can totally understand some of these developments seeming less than appealing.

Besides, who knows, maybe WoW's been a bad influence and y'all FFXIV peeps can make Asmongold into a better person. Good luck. :P

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
well... yes? Everyone knows and there's a reason why most people don't like him. Which is why it was especially jarring to see the FF14 community take him on as his new champion
Don't know where you're getting that from. Most people are just contributing a recent boom in users to him, not praising the guy himself.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
He's really weird on this stuff, because he's likewise spent some of his pre-FF14 time recently talking about how WoW is infested with racists and how that community did awful things like harass and doxx women or spread their nudes during the RBG days of that game and how he doesn't support any of that. He's also had a sensible stance about metoo.

Not that it excuses the thought processes, but the guy lives with his mom to take care of her and doesn't seem to really get out much, so I think his world view is just shaped by the internet so heavily and some of it wasn't great.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've only watched two videos of Asmongold, both about FFXIV and specifically the Endwalker trailer and he comes across as exactly the type of person that would do this.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you know who Asmonggold is then that means you watch his content which means you know his politics are very gamer bro-ey. He has never made an attempt to hide this.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
He has been awful for years now. His mysognystic style peppered with disgusting hot takes that his fans lap up because he is AMAZING at reading a room, taking the pulse of the current streaming trends, and playing to it accordingly.

Many of his fans try the duality argument and that "Zack is the person and Asmongold is the character" because he does make much more lucid videos simetimes as Zack where he seems kind of normal and occasionally insightful but the fact remains he is taking in so much money perpetuating toxic behavior and recently personally attack devs. He wants to have his cake and eat it too and pretend like he doesn't condone his fans equally toxic behavior but his strongest admonishment is a light handwaved at best.

Basically he knows who butters his bread. Dude has far too much power and watching Square Enix play him lip service is just depressing. Other streamers (bellular and the like) have followed suit because his model is rakinging 200k streams daily and I have just had it.

Last but not least. Dude hasn't been a competitive player since WoD really. He is carried through almost all content. Gifted most of his accomplishments and half the wisdom he spews he blatently copies and pasted from articles and forum posters.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They don't want the responsibility if this leads to people harassing him.

Incorrect. And a weird take in general.

If someone calls a person out for saying bigoted things very recently, that is not "harassment."

Wait is this not sarcasm? Like I legit read the OP and wondered why they said they're not trying to cancel the dude when he very much should be

Honestly, I'm trying to word things as carefully as possible because I've been harassed on social media previously for "woke" posts that I've made on Era before, generally by people at the "old place" who keep an eye on Era for threads and posts like this.

It's easy to pretend not to care but there was one weekend where my social media was getting constantly spammed because I said I wasn't buying Cyberpunk because of CDPR's transphobic social media tweets. I wish it weren't a thought in my head when making a thread like this but it is.

lesserpanda

Banned
Jun 18, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Concern Trolling Around Racism; Account in Junior Phase
Going through someone's past in the attempt to cancel them feeds into the narrative of the right about cancel culture. Maybe it's better to wait until he does something stupid again, then call him out for it.

*Edited for clarity*

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
He's really weird on this stuff, because he's likewise spent some of his pre-FF14 time recently talking about how WoW is infested with racists and how that community did awful things like harass and doxx women or spread their nudes during the RBG days of that game and how he doesn't support any of that. He's also had a sensible stance about metoo.

Not that it excuses the thought processes, but the guy lives with his mom to take care of her and doesn't seem to really get out much, so I think his world view is just shaped by the internet so heavily and some of it wasn't great.

Man is a millionaire and is living in a disgusting hoarder house where he wipes his teeth blood on wall because he's too lazy to get up, and looks like he hasn't showered since Trump was elected president.

Dude probably never leaves his house or interacts with anyone other then wow players on the internet.

Of course his world view is fucked.

I wish Square would just do the sensible thing and ban him out right, but he is basically free marketing for them, so that's not going to happen.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
There's also this one, like there's no twisting this or "actually he meant something else" bullshit.
E5cijkLXIAAqWlx

I've resorted to just ignoring him cause bringing up his shitty actions, even to show awareness of his reputation, gets backlash and people treating you like a "triggered snowflake".

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
He has been awful for years now. His mysognystic style peppered with disgusting hot takes that his fans lap up because he is AMAZING at reading a room, taking the pulse of the current streaming trends, and playing to it accordingly.

Many of his fans try the duality argument and that "Zack is the person and Asmongold is the character" because he does make much more lucid videos simetimes as Zack where he seems kind of normal and occasionally insightful but the fact remains he is taking in so much money perpetuating toxic behavior and recently personally attack devs. He wants to have his cake and eat it too and pretend like he doesn't condone his fans equally toxic behavior but his strongest admonishment is a light handwaved at best.

Basically he knows who butters his bread. Dude has far too much power and watching Square Enix play him lip service is just depressing. Other streamers (bellular and the like) have followed suit because his model is rakinging 200k streams daily and I have just had it.

Last but not least. Dude hasn't been a competitive player since WoD really. He is carried through almost all content. Gifted most of his accomplishments and half the wisdom he spews he blatently copies and pasted from articles and forum posters.
Hasn't he said some pretty bad stuff as Zack too?

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing some FF14 folks embracing this guy because he's popular and they want attention for the game is frankly embarrassing.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Going through someone's past in the attempt to cancel them feeds into the narrative of the right about cancel culture. Maybe it's better to wait until he does something stupid again, then call him out for it.
Hey if they appologized for all that and actually show remorse for their actions then maybe sure. Though I don't see any of that getting posted.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see if he owns up to the shit of his own doing and makes genuine amends or if he just sicks his fanbase on anyone who calls him out.

Betting five bucks that he will do the latter because people like him fucking suck.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
It's not a MAGA cap, but it said Azeroth instead of America. Still not funny, though.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Thx for this thread OP. I knew he wasnt great but I didnt know it was nearly this bad. Will actively avoid from now on.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Would be interesting to see this posted on LSF, he reads that subreddit religiously

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Man is a millionaire and is living in a disgusting hoarder house where he wipes his teeth blood on wall because he's too lazy to get up, and looks like he hasn't showered since Trump was elected president.

Dude probably never leaves his house or interacts with anyone other then wow players on the internet.

Of course his world view is fucked.

I wish Square would just do the sensible thing and ban him out right, but he is basically free marketing for them, so that's not going to happen.

I don't really follow this dude but the stuff you just said about him sound like the same stuff people accuse him for.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I wasn't aware of this guy until I saw all the attributes of the uptick of FFXIV's population being made to him. Good to know so I won't watch any of his stuff that's randomly being suggested to me by Youtube's algorithm. (I just want to watch the Endwalker trailer again, not reaction vids to it, Youtube. Come on......)

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that it really matters, but just as a point of clarification of sorts, "Asmongold" is something of an act. He has second twitch/youtube accounts where he generally drops the whole Asmongold persona schtick...thing.

Not that is an excuse for any of his behavior or anything. I'm certainly not defending him, so please dont take it that way.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Oh man, I've been curious about this exact thing. In general, a massive influx of people tends to look like a threat in the eyes of any established community, and to a large degree this particular influx has been driven by a fairly toxic individual who seems antithetical to the FFXIV community's values. Not just his South Park-y attitude, but also more innocuous things, like how he's going to be bringing a much bigger emphasis to a hardcore, raid-driven playstyle than the average FFXIV player really seems to care for.

As cool as it has been seeing all the stories of FFXIV's incredible success recently, growth can have pros and cons, y'know? It would be dramatic to assume that the community is actually under any kind of threat, everything will probably be okay, but I can totally understand some of these developments seeming less than appealing.

Besides, who knows, maybe WoW's been a bad influence and y'all FFXIV peeps can make Asmongold into a better person. Good luck. :P

I honestly wouldn't be worried. There's a reason why there's a common saying that it's easier to get banned in FFXIV for being an asshole in chat as opposed to actual hacking. It's to the level where in the older days before cross-world travel became possible, Sargatanas server in particular had a crazy dramatic hunt scene where I'd observed people trying to deliberately bait others into saying something that was reportable, and it actually worked a few times. They are absolutely strict about curbing that kind of stuff.

I bet they are definitely watching his streams like a hawk to see if he ever tries to do any of this in-game, or directly tries to influence his viewers to push this kind of stuff in-game as well. The GMs won't act as long as all of this remains off-game, to a certain extent. There is recent precedent for one of the top FFXIV streamers getting banned because they made fun of someone's raid performance. Said ban ultimately happened because that later spiraled into a group of their followers harassing that person in-game.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Should be a one and done case for not giving him any platform whatsoever on Era, but I'm sure we'll find some cause why that would be unfair to the poor guy.
Fuck him.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of older gamers seem to have issues where they've become so sheltered in whatever game community they have resided in for pretty much their entire upbringing, they just don't seem to understand a thing about empathy or the consequences of what hateful words can do to people. They also seem completely unapologetic in trying to better themselves either.

I fear it's going to be even worse in the future when you'll have a whole new generation that have become toxified by the first generation of those assholes via Twitch/YouTube. I think we are beginning to see the effects of that lately too.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not that it really matters, but just as a point of clarification of sorts, "Asmongold" is something of an act. He has second twitch/youtube accounts where he generally drops the whole Asmongold persona schtick...thing.

Not that is an excuse for any of his behavior or anything. I'm certainly not defending him, so please dont take it that way.

(I know you're not defending him. But pointing this out.)

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

I'm not a fan of asmongold at all but most of this is ignorant trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.