• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
You do !
Problem is you're limited to one per toon (Mini Diablo, Panda or Zergling), they're not account-bound and they obviously occupy a bag slot.
Still was happy it was still there, especially since I encountered noone else with it so far : o

Hah, that's a nice touch to see included then. Thanks!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the conversation around WOW casualizing mmorpgs at the time.. making them too easy.

Nerix

Oct 27, 2017
"you have to read quest texts to actually figure out what to do. Even I forgot that this was a thing and looked for the setting to enable quest markers on the minimap"
This is one of the biggest changes to games in the last 15 years. Everything for better or worse holds your hands in various ways. It creates way less friction and makes it more welcoming for the majority of gamers but their's something rewarding about reading to me and figuring out what to do. I do wish more games were like that still.
Divinity is one of them. You're really used quest markers nowadays, always nice to see when you've to figure something out yourself...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because I didn't have a fun time back in the day with Vanilla? I dunno.
Ya, I really missed out, too. I started playing 6 months after launch and the entire server was a ghost town, the only other players I saw were idling in Ironforge. I read about what WoW was like at launch in 2004 and it was just completely night and day different from what I played in 2005.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the appeal of Classic WoW.

Its boring quests that are all "Collect 10 Bear Asses."

Maybe because I didn't have a fun time back in the day with Vanilla? I dunno.

I've been trying to watch a lot of Classic WoW and it's seeming like to me it's a combination of "you had to have been there" and "it came out at the right time"

Because I totally understand why people would view what others would view as a lack of QoL as something that can enhance the MMO experience

But I absolutely will never be able to change the fact that no, I absolutely do not have the time to spend a significant amount of time waiting to group up, grind, or line up for a quest. I could definitely pinpoint a time where I absolutely would be down for that, but it's something that will never be in the cards as an adult still progressing through life with ever increasing responsibilities and other things and hobbies (and even other games) that I'd also like to dedicate my time to

PSO and WoW are two games I wish I picked up when they released even now, but eh, can't rewind time

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Baby mmo was runescape.

Agree or meet me outside Varrock.

Where you at?
giphy.gif

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
It made me realise how much I hate hand holding. I have to read and use my brain and actually play the game instead of just following markers.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Quite amusing how ppl are implying Classic WoW is 'hardcore' ... at its release back in '04 , WoW was considered quite a streamlined mmorpg by seasoned MMO players.

The current WoW must be totally on rails for ppl to be saying this (I haven't played since just before the 2nd expansion for reference)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the last two days and I'm reminded of just how much I love classic WoW questing.

A lot of the objectives are incredibly simple to be sure, but goddamn did Blizzard nail everything else. The writing, the storylines, the various zones, the music. Even though none of it is new to me this time around, I'm having so much fun leveling. Azeroth will always be a magical setting for me.

I actually think questing is still good in WoW and has been in every expansion, but there's definitely something special about the vanilla zones. The stakes are bit lower, everything is more grounded, and you feel like a small part of a massive world (as opposed to current WoW where you're a legendary hero).

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
God I love the investment in exploring and world building classic WOW offers by ditching all the streamlined crap that lets people can raid in 20 minutes and get flashy whizzbang lights to make sure they feel good afterwards.

The concept of "I don't have enough time to XYZ" is like the one area of complaint that I'll never be able to empathize with. If it's a priority, great, if it's not, play something that doesn't ask the time investment. And I say this as a dad with two kids and limited game time.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're trying to say, but Vanilla did have a collector's edition. It had "loot boxes" in the way of the shitty TCG, which people only bought for a chance at mounts and other cosmetics. It also had microtransactions in the form of character services.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Things have changed a lot over the years, the way I've come to think of it is "synthetic" vs "organic" engagement. Games (at least modern WoW) are now largely built around synthetic engagement.

Synthetic engagement:
  • You come back to do prescribed activities that the game dictates
  • Timed quests (dailies)
  • Limited events and other incentives to log on often, leveraging fear of missing out
  • Unpredictable loot outcomes, and often a disconnect between effort and reward (ie; no way to target certain loot you want, like Titanforging - amazing items can drop anywhere but the chance of any one item is very low)
  • Extremely variable difficulty with a baseline of very easy
  • Super fast pace, action all the time
  • The player is "special"
Organic engagement:
  • You come back to enjoy occupying the world and spend time with your friends, or to do specific activities you know might net you specific rewards
  • More focus on player interaction
  • A mix of solo and group content
  • Generally slower pace (longer travel times, longer dungeons, less short-term focus needed)
  • Simpler loot systems that rely on bigger, more meaningful upgrades rather than a flurry of smaller ones
  • The player is not "special" - they're just another person in the world
  • Less of a sharp difficulty curve - more "tough but fair" - keep a few key principles in mind and you'll do fine both in groups and solo
In general, Classic WoW hooks you because it has an immediacy - get better loot and level up and you notice it. Then you add in a social element - the fact that it's easier to work with others than not (no mob sharing, no group finder, no anonymity via sharding and phasing) and you wind up coming back on and getting hooked because you have an in-game network that opens doors and provides a sort of emergent adventure.

I agree 100% with this.

I would like to add that i think the the move towards Synthetic engagement has a lot to do with that these days Wow basically competes with Netflix, Facebook, Apple and every other tech company that fights for your attention. Do you think investors would be happy to hear something like:

" Yeah you know we will remove all these QOL and instant gratification dopamine spikes, aswell with going back to making classes unique and special compared to everyone can do everything, and switch to slow progressive character growth instead. This will bring alot more revenue!"

On a side note i found quite a lot of similarities in the so called "S curve" in business and Wows subscriber growth from Vanilla.

Also watch this if you want to look at the terrible truth of what retail Wow have become: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRzu0iqaWI

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that I find interesting is just how much headspace classic takes and for all the right reasons. While at work I plan the next part of my adventure out in the back of my mind. I need to get some more linen cloth for my tailoring and first aid on my mage for example and then I can craft myself some nice bags.

Retail wow has that to some extent but in a very toxic way. You have to constantly keep up to date with it or youll fall behind. There's nothing fun about that and by the end of the month when I have to choose if I want to resub I let it lapse.

I'm really enjoying the ride and feel no rush for endgame.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One of the things that I find interesting is just how much headspace classic takes and for all the right reasons. While at work I plan the next part of my adventure out in the back of my mind. I need to get some more linen cloth for my tailoring and first aid on my mage for example and then I can craft myself some nice bags.

Retail wow has that to some extent but in a very toxic way. You have to constantly keep up to date with it or youll fall behind. There's nothing fun about that and by the end of the month when I have to choose if I want to resub I let it lapse.

I'm really enjoying the ride and feel no rush for endgame.
yes yes!

It absolutely amazes me how people just chat in the global chat and talk about the good old times. Also how people thank each other for help, even if it's just a friendly jump in front of you lol.
Meanwhile I'm standing at the shore fishing, my cat likes some fresh fish :)

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
"you have to read quest texts to actually figure out what to do. Even I forgot that this was a thing and looked for the setting to enable quest markers on the minimap"
This is one of the biggest changes to games in the last 15 years. Everything for better or worse holds your hands in various ways. It creates way less friction and makes it more welcoming for the majority of gamers but their's something rewarding about reading to me and figuring out what to do. I do wish more games were like that still.

Games changed a lot. But i do not agree that is more welcoming at the end of the day. It just takes away the completion satisfaction and allows developers to not overthink quest design cause they just show you where to go.
As a proof of this i present to you the biggest evidence of all. Please try Zelda BOFTW. The design principles reminded me a lot of WoW classic. A modern game did the not hand holding thing and at same time was grate for novices and veterans.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Hmm, this has me wondering. Will my panda/diablo/zergling show up in WoW Classic? I assume the pets/mounts from later versions don't show up.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
  • you have to read quest texts to actually figure out what to do. Even I forgot that this was a thing and looked for the setting to enable quest markers on the minimap

Really? Because my experience in the first three days has been everyone scrambling to get Questie/TomTom/QuestHelper addons working as quickly as possible to make Classic just like Retail.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really? Because my experience in the first three days has been everyone scrambling to get Questie/TomTom/QuestHelper addons working as quickly as possible to make Classic just like Retail.
Same here. Maybe the first few hours before all the quest add-ons appeared. There was so much going on in WoW, who really had time to read it all, figure where to go and complete a quest. Even more so when you wanted to rank up another character to 60. Those quest add-ons were a time and sanity saver.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Retail wow leveling is almost completely automatic. It shows where to get the quest, where the quest objective is. 100% drop rate for quest items, and where to turn in the quest. Rinse and repeat.

With classic it tells you the quest objectives physical location and you have to actually READ the text to figure out where to go. It makes it much more involved and fun.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with page 32 want to trade?

fuck

Quest helper addons are nothing new, and were pretty popular even back in vanilla. Something that's often lost in the excitement of how much better/different classic is from modern WoW is that a lot of the QoL changes that happened over the years were simple Blizzard rolling popular addon functionality into the base game.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If there's one change I would make to WoW classic it's putting the exclamation marks on the mini map for available quests to pick up.

I'm too old to remember where they all used to be in Vanilla =[

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Quite amusing how ppl are implying Classic WoW is 'hardcore' ... at its release back in '04 , WoW was considered quite a streamlined mmorpg by seasoned MMO players.

In 2004 people said WoW was for babies, comparing it to other hardcore mmos around the time.

In 2019 people say WoW Classic was hardcore, comparing it to the nowadays version.

People that says "damn, vanilla was so hardcore" are not comparing it to DAOC, EQ or UO, they are comparing it to the shitstorm that is WoW today.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
On a similar note, I've been playing Ancestors A humankind odyssey that released at the same time and I love how vague the game is and often refuse to tell you anything. You just have to figure it out for yourself.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People that says "damn, vanilla was so hardcore" are not comparing it to DAOC, EQ or UO, they are comparing it to the shitstorm that is WoW today.

How much of a shitstorm is it today?

I played WOW back when it came out -- my hayday was vanilla through TBC. I recall coming back and giving it a shot years later -- I think 2013 or 2014 -- And was kind of aghast by how all of the character and feeling of the world even being a world had kind of been removed in service of utter convenience. For example, you no longer had to find friends and travel to a dungeon to do a dungeon. Like you wouldn't grab some friends and travel to Diremaul and face all the dangers there and figure out where everything is. You would just queue up, the game would auto match you with people from other realms, you'd teleport to the dungeon, you'd mechanically go through it with other players who never say anything, and collect a reward. It was extremely convenient, sure, but (at least in my opinion) the game had fundamentally been changed from being an adventure in a world to being a motion you go through to acquire things.

It's so bizarre that you could do every dungeon in the game without actually traveling to them or even knowing where they are. When you remove the danger, the adventure, the journey, all of it - in order to make the game easy and convenient - you just kind of lose a feeling of connection to the material and lose any feeling of ownership over the things you'd acquired. I hope WOW Classic's popularity signals to developers that convenience and guaranteed rewards aren't everything.

Wolshen

Oct 30, 2017
Give me a new MMO similar to pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies. That game was amazing, deep and with actually a lot of different things to do.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I loved vanilla wow back in the day but I don't think I can go back. I don't have that kind of time in my life. I don't think I could commit to any mmo to be fair.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Same here. Maybe the first few hours before all the quest add-ons appeared. There was so much going on in WoW, who really had time to read it all, figure where to go and complete a quest. Even more so when you wanted to rank up another character to 60. Those quest add-ons were a time and sanity saver.

I just wanted to point out how different the game was back then. :) I don't think the game released with all these addons available at the start, right?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As romantic as this sounds, folks not reading the quest text and just going to Thotbot or using addons to point them towards the quest objectives has been a thing since Vanilla. In fact a common running joke back then was "Shut and just tell me where I have to go and what I have to kill."

Yup. Idk where this idea that most people actually "figured it out" comes from. We all did that shit back in the day.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just wanted to point out how different the game was back then. :) I don't think the game released with all these addons available at the start, right?
No, adddons later but many of us still put crazy hours into classic haha. If they wanted real classic, they would drop adddons.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the conversation around WOW casualizing mmorpgs at the time.. making them too easy.

Yep, WoW made MMOs far more accessible at the time. How people that played EQ at launch viewed WoW at launch is basically how people that played WoW at launch view MMOs today. lol

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

It's so bizarre that you could do every dungeon in the game without actually traveling to them or even knowing where they are. When you remove the danger, the adventure, the journey, all of it - in order to make the game easy and convenient - you just kind of lose a feeling of connection to the material and lose any feeling of ownership over the things you'd acquired. I hope WOW Classic's popularity signals to developers that convenience and guaranteed rewards aren't everything.

The problem was that very, very few players actually did the dungeons. For every person who made the journey, read the lore and followed the story there were 10 who didn't even know it existed. Blizzard made content more accessible because otherwise the majority of the player base weren't experiencing it.

Also have to say, one area that they have significantly improved on is the integration of dungeons into the main storylines. Back in vanilla it was so easy to miss a dungeon due to the fact they often just sat in a zone with very few breadcrumb quests or integration with what was happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's interesting to see how all of the mountains of QoL additions they inserted into WoW over the years, especially the LFG system, was a detriment to the game.

It made the game seem less like a world, and more of a very graphical website.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am thoroughly enjoying playing a hunter. Stutter stepping, actually using arrows and keeping your pet happy makes it so much more of a rpg experience.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I was surprised by how much I've found myself enamored with WoW classic (hadn't played since 2006)

I don't think I appreciates at the time how fine tuned and we'll designed a lot of the content is. Coming from a month of FFXIV right before diving into classic, the difference is like night and day.

FFXIV is so streamlined and frictionless that it barely feels like a game to me. I played through 65 levels without finding a single scenario where I had to do anything different. Every single enemy that I encountered at level 15 is the same as every enemy I encountered at level 60. I repeat my rotation until it is dead and there is *literally* nothing I can do to change that.

In WoW classic I am constantly taking into consideration the environment around me, the new abilities I've added to my kit, the type of enemy I'm fighting, the range of quests I'm working on, where I want to go next..... if I play my cards right and make good decisions I do well. If I play poorly or make bad decisions I do poorly. There are some things that are better to do by cooperating with other players. I have to interact with them and communicate.

I just can't really get over how empty FFXIV felt by comparison.

The singular takeaway seems to be that WoW classic resembles a single player RPG whereas modern MMOs like FFXIV, when you take away the dungeon co-op, resembles a mobile game more than anything else.