• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As shown by Blizzard introducing cross-server functionality, they seem to have a policy against merging realms.
Would it have killed them to have at least one german server, one french server etc. etc.

This seems like a bad scenario for everyone involved

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
This will be like in FF 11 all over again. Smush everyone together into a server, then hope everyone is nice enough to talk to each other in English. (Hint; they won't be)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Before it shut down Nostalrius had 10k+ concurrent and only grew in size (they had to make more servers) rather than decrease.

I think Classic is going to have high retention as content remains relevant (MC Gear is still relevant even when Naxx is out) and doesn't immediately get phased out every patch.

No one really knows how it's going to pan out, but they will be very popular and not just fall off a cliff. Of that I am sure.

It depends on 'future' plans after the final phase too of course.
Nostalrius had a large boost from Sodapoppin who actually streamed on it.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Would it have killed them to have at least one german server, one french server etc. etc.

This seems like a bad scenario for everyone involved

German realms still make up about 25% of the EU pop. It's really crazy to not have at least one

Nostalrius had a large boost from Sodapoppin who actually streamed on it.

Streamers have influence, but things don't die because they stop playing them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Streamers have influence, but things don't die because they stop playing them.
When a streamer's influence is basically the CCU of the game then, yeah, it kind of does die. Classic WoW is going to do shit tonnes when released cause folks like Sodapoppin, Asmongold, Lirik, etc. are all going to be there. Folks will want to gank those people relentlessly. Asmongold is at 28,000 viewers right now. When it releases it will be much, much higher and those viewers will actually be able to play the game as it's closed beta right now. The viewers who play with the streamers are going to make up the majority of players on these servers hence the ones they will be on will be 100% full almost immediately. When the streamers leave, they'll leave too causing a huge chasm of nothingness as gold, resources, etc will just disappear from the market causing the server to be basically dead-ish. It's fine if the classic servers truck along with a small CCU, but for extended 2month / 3 month high and then drop, it will be dead from that perspective. Until they do a TBC server then WEEEEE it begins anew.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a weird move.

Personally I couldn't care less, I won't play the game anyway.
However there are plenty of people who don't speak english well enough, people who are used to the commands in their language.
I don't think it's gonna be that great when you've got a huge raid and people will struggle, because they know a certain command under a different term or similar.

Blizz made that decision themselves to establish servers in different languages, so it's a really weird move to track back, even if they're most likely just cautious due the numbers.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
As a complete outsider to MMOs, it blows my mind that people want to play an old version of the game for reasons other than nostalgia.

Does it also blow your mind when people favor Smash Brothers Melee over other versions? Why do people like Street Fighter 3rd Strike over Street Fighter 5? Why would people go back and play older Zelda games? BOTW is out it covers everything you could ever want in a Zelda game right? Why go back and play Resident Evil 4 when Resident Evil 7 is readily available?

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Vanilla WoW has aged poorly, the players base will drop like a rock once the novelty wears off.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Does it also blow your mind when people favor Smash Brothers Melee over other versions? Why do people like Street Fighter 3rd Strike over Street Fighter 5? Why would people go back and play older Zelda games? BOTW is out it covers everything you could ever want in a Zelda game right? Why go back and play Resident Evil 4 when Resident Evil 7 is readily available?
I didn't think the game had changed so much over the years, but from the replies I got if it's that different where it basically is another game it makes sense.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think the game had changed so much over the years, but from the replies I got if it's that different where it basically is another game it makes sense.

The game is completely different there is barely any class identity in BFA hell Shamans don't even use totems, BFA is a single player game that you can hardly call an mmo.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Rightfully so. While I personally do like international servers, there's valid points: World chat/chat in general will be a mess due to everyone using their own language, as a German, I can already see the "uh oh nazi" posts as soon as I'd write anything, whole communities will have no idea which server to join, and even if there will be "inofficial" language servers, that'd be much too late and obviously, newcomers won't know about that. That's not even considering there' still a LOT of people within the EU who are older and never learned English properly, or don't speak English well period. And even if they do, it's still a foreign language and most people will never feel as "at home" as MMO servers usually do.

It's not much of an issue in modern "single player" MMOs like ESO or FF, but if they really want to relight the feelings of classic WoW, it's a massive oversight to not add country-specific servers for EU.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any splitting beside English and russian. I don't remember having any french server anyway.

As someone who plays on US servers the same shit will happen, people will flock to specific servers anyway

Your memory is wrong. We had a lot of french servers (Hyjal, Archimonde, Kirin Tor, Conseil des Ombres, Rashgarroth, Illidan, etc...)And they were FR-XXX (PVP/PVE/RP)

Serveur-Wow.jpg

(On that screenshot, i think only Krasus, Eldre'Thalas, Drek'Thar and La Croisade Ă©carlate came after Vanilla ?)

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played on a german server back in 2009 (I don't speak german) and while it wasn't too bad, a lot of people had trouble understanding me. Seems like a bad move but whatever, I'm still in.

As a complete outsider to MMOs, it blows my mind that people want to play an old version of the game for reasons other than nostalgia.

It's a completely different game, that's why. Modern WoW has been pruned, homogenized and simplified to death. It's an empty husk at this point.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno. I play lot's of online games where EU people are thrown together and I've never had problems with people spamming their own languages.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I dunno. I play lot's of online games where EU people are thrown together and I've never had problems with people spamming their own languages.
Yeah I also don't know if that's even a big issue. My only experience of this is ESO which only has an EU server and English is pretty much the standard language 95% of the time. At most you'd get some country based guilds for people who can't speak English at all. Most of the nothern, central and eastern European server population could hold a conversation perfectly fine. I understand that language seperated servers also cater most to people who don't know other languages, so there might be a misconception that this would lead to something chaotic?

Again, I can only speak from my 4000 hours of experience in ESO where the EU server communicates really well in English.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
They should do at least a single server for language specifics, maybe even 2. PvP and PvE. If they don't lots of people are going to play US/PVE/East Coast. And that particular subset of servers is already set to be absolutely PACKED based on the classic wow guild recruiting discord. Almost all the competitive PvE and PvP guilds are headed to that region.

No it doesn't. You probably don't bat an eye when Nintendo sells copies of tons of 30 year old games on retro services, or people buy Classic PS1's to enjoy 20 year old games, or folks download emulators to play old games on smartphones.

So don't pretend to be shocked that someone is enjoying playing a 15 year old game. I don't know why you guys bother with this line of thinking on this forum of all places.

Edit: and I see the "No one's gonna really like it, private servers are different, classics a bad idea" brigade came too. Like flies to shit you guys are. Stay salty.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I can write and speak English, but if there is a decently sized enough Spanish speaking population that's what I'll be speaking in the EU International servers while I'm trying to trade or while I'm LFG. Because Blizzard can't expect everyone to be nice enough to speak in Spanish.

Just like it was in vanilla.

Krigaren

Oct 25, 2017
"it's nostalgia"
Meanwhile a pvp tourney on the beta by the community brought hundreds of thousands of viewers, more than any other tourney created by Blizzard themselves across all of their games.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I assume that the clusterfuck will only last a few weeks at most - after that players of different nationalities will just call dibs on particular servers, flocking to them en masse.

Just a reminder: Russian realms did not exist prior to late BC (unlike German and French), but absolutely everyone and their dog knew that Warsong-EU was the de-facto Russian server.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I find amazing that us the non-native speakers lose options yet you see posters (english speakers) in this very liberal forum complaining that they'll see our languages. Astounding.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I don't want to start playing Classic only to be forced to change the server to the unofficial server where most people of my nationality end up playing on.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This decision was just announced as reversed.

WoW: Classic will now have French, English, German, and Russian European realms. These realms will be included in the final stress test too.

I think this is a pretty reasonable accommodation. If you're in Europe and can't speak any of these four languages, there is basically nothing for you. Obviously not trying to denigrate people who only speak one language, but there likely just aren't that many unilingual polish or Croatian players that Blizz can dedicate a server to them.

That being said, no dedicated Spanish or Italian server seems a bit strange.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Good.

I hope it wont create population issues, but at least they are giving it a chance.