• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 11, 2018
Now, probably. Too many online games plus most of the seriously deep storytelling in narrative driven games often are up there. I love all kinds of games but if we're using playtime as a metric, yeah I'd be lying a bit.

For reference I didn't get the permission for M rated content until I was 12 and it meant little, GTA IV is a dumb fun, however after finishing it long after the fact the amount of stuff you're oblivious to is... yeah. In fairness I was playing DOS games like Doom and Quake, Quake II but no one has to know about that when they don't know how the Internet works... haha. Also rented a few titles before, another big one I love today is No More Heroes and when I was denied Resident Evil 4 for GameCube, I easily rented the Wii version when I was 11, so I still got my fill of graphic violence anyway while playing Super Mario Galaxy in tandem.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
There's only so much time I can spent with pre-3D gaming. No Resident Evil, character action, Souls? Go away.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There would be some massive losses, but a lot of masterpieces I enjoy would remain intact. So I guess not ruined, but it would be kinda devastating.

not_swift

May 2, 2018
The last m rated game I played was the last of us. It was a good game, but I could have done without it. So yeah I'd totally be fine.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
No, most games I play are T and down. It would still suck missing out on some greats, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to being ruined.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Somewhat. While I'll prolly be still playing games I wouldn't have had possessed core nostalgic memories who've somewhat shaped me to the gamer I am today.

Diablo 2
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age series
Elder Scrolls series
Witcher series

Those gameplay experiences wouldn't have existed for me which I find the absence of near impossible.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Not really. Mortal Kombat... and that's kind of it?

Well I mean that'd be kind of huge for me, but not hobby-ruining.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Most of the greatest games are rated M so yeah it would hurt. Good thing I had parents that let me watch or play anything I wanted as long as all my homework was done.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume games like RDR2, Witcher 3, New Vegas, Kingdom Come, Elex, Vampyr, STALKER, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, Metro...are M rated, so yeah obviously if I could not play games that interest me the most, I might as well quit the hobby.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably not. Shooters are one of my favourite genres and I consider Half-Life, FEAR and STALKER to be among the best games ever but I'd survive. Most games I play nowadays are E and T and I don't really feel that many M-rated games justify their rating anyway.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Mature games do the best job of simulating real life so of course I'd never stop playing them. I don't mind the overly cutesy art styles, but I don't want them to be the only thing there is. Language in E-T games usually feels overly sappy and forced as well.

Oct 27, 2017
No, not at all. I enjoy adult-orientated games like TLoU and GTA, but the majority I play are family-friendly or indie games, which don't tend to be too mature or gory with their themes.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To a degree, yeah. I mostly play Nintendo games these days, so, probably wouldnt affect me that much.

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably play more games which I don't give too much of a thought right now. It wouldn't ruin my hobby but I'd be very sad to not be able to play some great games.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last year I've played..

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (E)
Red Dead Redemption II (M)
Super Mario Party (E)
Spider-Man (T)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (M)
God of War (M)
Detroit: Become Human (M)

Monster Hunter: World (T)

It wouldn't be completely ruined, but my god it would be way worse.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not really... I do love a few M rated games. Yakuza 0 on PC was the last M rated game I really got into, and Saints Row IV was the last M rated game I played in general, just to have fun with the dubstep gun again, lol. But as a predominantly Nintendo gamer, a vast majority of the games I play aren't M rated.

Mohican Bull

Feb 21, 2019
Definitely not ruined but narrowed. I enjoy many games rated M and would be bummed to miss great games. I'd still be fine with it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, most games I play are 12 and under with the occasional 16 and rarely an 18. I'd manage just fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Absolutely. From Fallout: New Vegas to Yakuza, from Silent Hill to The Witcher 3, from Doom to Detention, M-rated games make up for at least 90% of the games I enjoy. Being unable to play games with that raring would make my gaming experience pretty much miserable.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I guess I would get used to green blood :D
But it wouldn't be completely ruined just limited. I play a lot of sub 18-year games too.

I'd miss Kenshiro and Kiryu though.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Wouldn't get to play any horror games, for starters. And despite most M-rated games being labeled as such for superficial reasons, the games that actually tackle mature subjects and have something to say usually are rated M.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I do wonder what the threshold is between Monster Hunter World's T rating and Dark Souls' M rating.

Relatedly, I really enjoyed the Doom games as a teen but I can't stand Doom 2016. The close up 'glory shot' of weird brutality felt gratuitous and simply horrible. I understood the benefits of the chain combo gameplay but I sold my copy after just a couple of hours.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
If I suddenly couldn't play my fav games like Souls, modern Fallout or Dishonored I would be pretty annoyed. No it wouldn't ruin gaming but it would definitely make everything feel strange. I would say 90% of what I play is not M-rated but it would still have a huge impact due to me being used to playing them.

But a monitored kid that doesn't get to play them at all and never have been able to do it earlier? No I don't feel bad that they "miss out". There are an insane amount of good games to play still and the games will still be there when they grow up. If I was 14 years old with my non-M-rated library I would be in gaming heaven or something.

I don't get the focus on big budgets.The indie/AA scene is huge and so much more interesting than the big budget stuff in general.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Minimal changes. I mean I play them once in a while but been a long time since one of them really grabbed me

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No it would be better, then I might actually be able to play AAA games during the days instead of just the nights when the rest of the family sleeps.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I played an M-rated game. It's not like I never have, but they're a very minor part of what video games are and can be.

Yea I haven't bought or played an m rated game in a few years I think... can't remember any anyway. I've got little to no interest in shooters.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
First, thanks for making this topic.

Would it be ruined? No. I already don't play M rated games and I'm having a great time.

I feel M rated games involve shooting, killing and excessive cursing. Sometimes sexual content. And some times content that's just plain disturbing. The simulation of carrying out these acts in video game form is just not what I want out of entertainment or what I view as being entertaining.

And once you realize games can be more than that, it really broadens your horizons on what to play. I found many gems of games over the years that I never would have played if I allowed myself to have the more mainstream thinking that the games to play are those with an M rating.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I played quite a lot of M rated games as a teenage,so it would certainly have a different experience.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be an appreciably shittier experience, but that goes for basically any medium where I'd be arbitrarily locked out from any subsection of content.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
No it's probably the rating I own the least amount of games in. I'd miss the resident evil series, halo series, and other stand out titles but 90% of the games I play are E or T rating.