• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You're kids want a puppy but get a burger gift card

• Best parents ever!

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • ... was Jelly of the Month club taken?

Votes: 55 65.5%

• Total voters

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Australian burger chain Grill'd has this great advert on their latest email.

kDiS1I1.jpeg

So yeah, my questions Era: fair trade?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I mean as a kid if I got a Burger King gift card I would have been hyped. But if my parents were like "hey we were gonna get you a puppy but instead got you this BK gift card" yeah I probably would have been justifiably upset.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as an adult, I'd be pretty psyched about that. My sister got me a gift card to a deli I dig. Haven't used it because covid, but I'm happy. Their shit is good, but expensive.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, I have some friends who would much rather reduce expenses with some free food over increasing expenses with a new pet.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have one kid who doesn't particularly care for dogs and one who can't get enough of them. So I guess this solves for both presents.

Sep 14, 2019
I already have doggies, and although puppers are freaking awesome, I don't really want to take care of another one.

Gift card, please.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I was a kid I didn't even want a puppy because I'd had nearly no exposure to dogs, and what little I had was negative. I actually didn't start liking dogs at all until I was 29.
Still voted dog.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Food is free from most children's perspective, and a whole lot of them either don't like it or don't care about it in general. Eating is just a boring routine thing they dread like getting a bath or going to bed. A food gift card is pretty much the worst present you can get a kid save for extraordinary circumstances, such as the extremely impoverished who have to skip meals.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Like a $500 gift card to mcdonald's? sure! happy meals with toys and icecream for weeks!

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I assume it would be better for teenagers that want to go to dates.

During non-pandemic years, of course.

An elementary school kid probably prefers a puppy.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like, as a kid, I had a not-unreasonable expectation that my parents would buy me the hamburgers anyway?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think pets should be surprise gifts. Always walk through the responsibilities of getting one before you actually get one for your kids, especially if they've never had pets before. This goes for presents for adults as well.

Mar 21, 2018
Grill'd are solid but I don't like how messy their burgers are to eat.

Gimmie Burger Project or Betty's Burgers any day of the week instead.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't think pets should be surprise gifts. Always walk through the responsibilities of getting one before you actually get one for your kids, especially if they've never had pets before. This goes for presents for adults as well.
This is the truth. Pets are a major responsibility and an instant +1 to your family that has very specialized needs. Even "low maintenance" animals are ones that should be introduced to the house with serious consideration and discussion.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
If someone is anticipating a puppy and they get a burger, you're going to have some problems on your hands.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Dog surely. I don't think a burger would play fetch. And if it does I think it needs to be cooked a bit longer.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted a puppy, I finally got a dog when I was 14, not for Christmas but that was when my parents decided I was old and responsible enough for to care for one. He was the best dog ever and I still miss him.

So I would have been mad if they told me I could have a puppy/dog and then got me a fast food gift card instead.

However, I do not think pets should be gifts, unless it is parents to a child and the parents understand how much work a pet is and are willing to do the work when the kid isn't.