• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you like to see a Duke Nukem game with gameplay similar to Doom 2016 & Eternal?

• Yes

Votes: 230 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 411 64.1%

• Total voters
Jun 18, 2018
I like different variations of this take, where Duke's 80s/90s action hero machismo attitude is the butt of the games joke and other characters within the world don't actually like him or what he stands for anymore, except he's completely unaware of it. Make the story about how he had to learn that being an 80s meathead isn't going to get him blowjobs from twins or Oprah's 2020 equivalent (ellen?) book tours from the sidescrollers. and he's have to change himself to defeat Dr Proton/Aliens and re-earn the title of 'Earth Mightest Hero' because his old school methods fail.

Agreed. I think Ash vs the Evil Dead did a great job of taking a macho hero archetype and exploring the flaws of that character.

And to start, flip the opening of DNF on its head, have Duke daydream about his heyday, only to come face to face with himself in a mirror within a dilapidated apartment, somehow responsible for whatever catastrophe the world is going through and unable to take responsibility for it. And make him grey, bald, wearing glasses and his physique gone. Let him earn and learn to be a better hero than he was.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
No because it would be very hard to make a sequel which relates to the original and brings the franchise to modern times. When I play the older games they seem really cheesy now. 12 year old me thought they were great at the time.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Yes. I think there's enough avenues for them to explore and enough to differentiate from the Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein setup they have now.

If nothing else, they could do a full reboot and ignore anything past the first two DOS games. Maybe I'm remembering them wrong, but I think most of his character that wouldn't work now didn't get created until Duke 3D.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
It seems to me that what people think is good about Duke Nukem these days is everything except for Duke Nukem. So just make that same game what with level design shooty interactivity, but with a good character and writing. Or if for some reason the Duke Nukem IP has to be involved, do the parody game everyone's been talking about where Duke is treated like the bad joke he is.

Yes, I am a bit puzzled by that. A lot of the suggestions for a remake are "Make a new game, but change Duke Nukem, so he's nothing like Duke Nukem". What would be the point?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I said yes, but the truth is I can't see how it could possibly work in today's social climate. That being said, I'd be interested to see how they'd try to modernize it.

Ash versus the Evil Dead is a good example. Ash is a relic; his only useful attribute in the modern world is his willingness and ability in confronting forces of evil. He's flanked by two well thought out and multi-dimensional characters. By himself, he's an out of touch idiot and the show makes a point of highlighting that.

So yeah just create some well thought out supporting characters.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I am a bit puzzled by that. A lot of the suggestions for a remake are "Make a new game, but change Duke Nukem, so he's nothing like Duke Nukem". What would be the point?
I mean the character is already a parody of 80s action movie heroes (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, etc). A parody of those characters wouldn't play out the same in film today any more than it would in a game. That's not really changing the character

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Quake. Seeing some of the art in DOOM: Eternal
Doom Hunter base
I'm jonesing for Strogg.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd rather see blood come back. Out of all the 90s shooter ips it's the one I feel like more could be done with.... Well other than quake

Jun 17, 2018
Duke is a relic of the 90s and doesn't really fit in with today's society. I loved the Duke games but I don't need anymore of them.

Quake and Hexen could do with a revive though, I'd love to see a new story based Quake game with an old school multiplayer component.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Nah, I think guys behind Shadow Warrior reboot would be a better fit. I'm not sure iD can handle the game like Duke Nukem, for the lack of a better word, aesthetically.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
They pulled off lo wang in the 2010s Duke could be nbd if they similarly stuck with the script and not get gratuitous for the sake of it. just low key dumb humor

That said ion fury scratched my Duke itch not really missing it

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
God no. They already tried hard to drag down the great gameplay with a terrible story in doom 2016 and eternal. No need to make it even worse by taking on a franchise based on stolen one liners and adolescent male humor.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Actually nice to see this forum right in choosing Quake or Heretic/Hexen over Duke Nukem. That's the only real answer to this.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Agreed. I think Ash vs the Evil Dead did a great job of taking a macho hero archetype and exploring the flaws of that character.

And to start, flip the opening of DNF on its head, have Duke daydream about his heyday, only to come face to face with himself in a mirror within a dilapidated apartment, somehow responsible for whatever catastrophe the world is going through and unable to take responsibility for it. And make him grey, bald, wearing glasses and his physique gone. Let him earn and learn to be a better hero than he was.

Ash vs is another awesome touchstone. Duke makes for a great buffoon.

dn_esh_artfkj6o.png

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd rather see blood come back. Out of all the 90s shooter ips it's the one I feel like more could be done with.... Well other than quake

This is can get behind. Blood is amazing, an horror themed fps could work in a modern scenario and Caleb could still spout cheesy one liners for those really missing it

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Reworking the character from 90's machismo sponge into generic action guy ne'er-do-well, why not? Name recognition is easier than having to create a new IP.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Reminder that Duke of the 90s was also this

www.resetera.com

'Duke Nukem Does the Internet' shows Duke hates Nazi sympathizers, racists and gay-bashers

I did not know there was a Duke Nukem guide to the Internet made during the 90s This part in it is interesting The book itself is around 300 pages apparently? At least according to Amazon, pretty interested in reading the rest just for some 90s goodness :P

And also linked in that thread, a carefully thought out comparison between the Duke of 3D and the Duke of Forever, by someone who actually cares.

I've got my own thoughts to add, specifically about the big design shift he got with Forever's final release, but I don't know how to share them without sounding like rambling nut who cares too much about a 90s action pastiche.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

'Duke Nukem Does the Internet' shows Duke hates Nazi sympathizers, racists and gay-bashers

I did not know there was a Duke Nukem guide to the Internet made during the 90s This part in it is interesting The book itself is around 300 pages apparently? At least according to Amazon, pretty interested in reading the rest just for some 90s goodness :P

And also linked in that thread, a carefully thought out comparison between the Duke of 3D and the Duke of Forever, by someone who actually cares.

I've got my own thoughts to add, specifically about the big design shift he got with Forever's final release, but I don't know how to share them without sounding like rambling nut who cares too much about a 90s action pastiche.
Just lay it all out. No better place to discuss it than here. The "How would you do Duke now" threads only come up every couple years, so don't miss your shot.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Sorry, for the bump, but...

After playing Ion Fury, do they really need to?

I'm only a few levels into this game and I can already see that it's going to be my favorite FPS in a while, possibly moreso than the new Doom games.

It's literally a Duke game, too... Bombshell herself was planned to be a character in DNF, no? And this game just completely exudes DN3D vibes. The visuals are clearly DN3D inspired, the levels are dense with exploration, the gunplay is fast as hell, etc.

If you are hankering for more Duke and you haven't played Ion Fury yet, just give it game a try. It's on Steam atm and will be arriving on consoles in a few weeks. It's literally more Duke.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Sorry, for the bump, but...

After playing Ion Fury, do they really need to?

I'm only a few levels into this game and I can already see that it's going to be my favorite FPS in a while, possibly moreso than the new Doom games.

It's literally a Duke game, too... Bombshell herself was planned to be a character in DNF, no? And this game just completely exudes DN3D vibes. The visuals are clearly DN3D inspired, the levels are dense with exploration, the gunplay is fast as hell, etc.

If you are hankering for more Duke and you haven't played Ion Fury yet, just give it game a try. It's on Steam atm and will be arriving on consoles in a few weeks. It's literally more Duke.
Thanks for the recommendation I think I'll check it out when it releases on ps4.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No, I desperately want to see Flying Wild Hog reboot Duke Nukem 3D.

id/Bethesda is too AAA for Duke Nukem. Someone like FWH would be way better for the IP. Let id work on something else.

Oct 25, 2017
The challenge of bringing back Duke Nukem is actually what is interesting about him as a character at this point. Like, at this point, the idea of placing him in an Ion Maiden-like enterprise just isn't 'hard' so-to-speak; it's everyone's natural first thought when tackling the problem: instead of moving Duke forward, move games back to just fit with his ridiculous character. Problem is, that's not interesting, and this local minima we're stuck in of staying close to "old school shooter" mechanisms to ensure it all fits together is getting, well, tired. That's not to say that there haven't been admirable takes on it, with games like Dusk and Ion Maiden being near the top of the list, but all of these kinds of games share one thing in common, and that's that they're all trying to imitate their betters, and I'd suggest that such an open admission is what keeps these games from actually being better, as backwards as that may sound.

Like there's a world where Lara Croft never moved forward to become a more interesting character in more interesting worlds; they just kept her, tank controls and all, stuck in mostly puzzle-driven environs with, uh, disproportional amounts of polygons. And while I don't think the desire to do that is inherently bad, it was more ambitious and more fun to take her forward, re-think some things, and just make better games.

Establishing Duke Nukem as a real and developed character seems nearly impossible. That's what makes it so interesting. You'd have to completely rethink who he is, what he does, and how he does it. So many have offered interesting revisions for him in the past in threads like these: my favorite is probably the washed up action hero with a reality check, but there are other takes. 3DR failed to modernize Duke because they just couldn't find a pathway to make him more interesting and, to be fair, they were stuck in an echo chamber of their own fans who criticized every turn they took to try something new. id Software has proven that they can, at the least, navigate in part fitting old characters and ideas into a new frame. Flying Wild Hog proved that they could take a racist caricature and turn Shadow Warrior into a hilarious 80s style action romp. MachineGames ... I don't think I even need to mention how they turned Wolfenstein into a game about people with a whole lotta heart.

It is possible to make a better Duke Nukem. It's fucking hard, and the people who currently own the IP are utterly incapable of doing it, but if you handed the property to any of these other developers they could do it.

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Nah, go for it. All the "he was always an awful character" is so weird to me. Forever did the character completely wrong, but I guess that's all people remember.

I would love to see Duke come back as an icon working against toxic masculinity. He's for sure a kind of hero we need in gaming right now.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
How would it work and what would be the direction?

Would it play like Doom meets Deadpool featuring some awareness like Conker?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fast paced, over the top action on ID Tech 7 and duke humour would be a match made in heaven

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why id making a Duke Nukem game would make it good.. Also, I don't see how a Duke Nukem game not made in the 90s would be a good game.