• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you vaccinate?

• Yes

Votes: 1,250 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 319 20.3%

• Total voters

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
For everyone saying this vaccine is rushed, perhaps you should consider that these things run a lot smoother when you throw bottomless amounts of money at it and have the best people working on it damn near 24/7.

And then, ya know, shut the fuck up and stop talking bollocks.

On topic - yes. I work in a hospital. Just inject that shit into my arm day one.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Literally had this conversation with a coworker last night. A vaccine only gets approved for public use if it's safe. They've already done all the tests necessary for someone like me to take it. Give me that vaccine please. I want to go to the movies again.

I'm really not trying to be dense - I'm happy to learn. How can they possibly have done "all the tests necessary for someone like me to take it?"

Fact is, this is a global pandemic that will require vaccinating billions of people. To my knowledge, no vaccine has been developed from the ground-up and deployed at this scale and this speed in the history of mankind. Surely, it's fair to pause and suggest "eh, due to the literal trillions of variables, maybe it best to see about mid-or-long-term side effects they haven't considered, weren't prepared for, or didn't test for."

Now, a counter I hear to that is you've got to balance the risk of the vaccine versus the risk of not taking the vaccine. But as someone who has not yet contracted COVID because I'm religious about my mask, social distancing, and staying home... maybe I can make it another 12 months while other people act as guinea pigs.

To be clear, I am absolutely, 100%, not anti-vac. I just got my flu shot a couple weeks ago. My daughter is two and is loaded up with everything the docs have suggested. I 100% intend to get the COVID shot. I just think there's a risk to being the first to take it. And for what it's worth, I'll probably STILL take the COVID shot first opportunity it's offered to me. Eh, I am not too worried. I simply can understand why others might be - and to suggest every single possible outcome has been tested for, sounds like an exaggeration.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Its not a hard question. Would you take it? Y/n
There's a disconnect between the thread title, the poll, and the OP.

Just the word "today" in the thread title is a very loaded word because it could imply without FDA or other agency approvals or that it bypasses the real-world constraint of supply.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Nah
I'll wait until July for San Diego comic con
I'm laid off and about to sell my possessions so I'm fine with masks and not doing anything

They said 5 years minimum for a vaccine and it's rushed in less than a year, I'll wait to see the effects it has on people, call me a dick, idc

plus it'll be in super limited supply, give it to the people facing maskless dummies in hospitals, supermarkets and stores.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not trying to be dense - I'm happy to learn. How can they possibly have done "all the tests necessary for someone like me to take it?"

Fact is, this is a global pandemic that will require vaccinating billions of people. To my knowledge, no vaccine has been developed from the ground-up and deployed at this scale and this speed in the history of mankind. Surely, it's fair to pause and suggest "eh, due to the literal trillions of variables, maybe it best to see about mid-or-long-term side effects they haven't considered, weren't prepared for, or didn't test for."

Now, a counter I hear to that is you've got to balance the risk of the vaccine versus the risk of not taking the vaccine. But as someone who has not yet contracted COVID because I'm religious about my mask, social distancing, and staying home... maybe I can make it another 12 months while other people act as guinea pigs.

To be clear, I am absolutely, 100%, not anti-vac. I just got my flu shot a couple weeks ago. My daughter is two and is loaded up with everything the docs have suggested. I 100% intend to get the COVID shot. I just think there's a risk to being the first to take it.

These vaccines have gone through the same tests as other vaccines. The difference is that governments poured money into them, including production, which would usually happen after a vaccine completed all of its rounds of testing. The risk was that if any vaccine didn't pass the trials, they'd have wasted a ton of money producing a whole lot of useless vaccines. But that's not the case, so we're getting it quickly because of that. If we trust the experts with other vaccines, we should trust them with this one.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone saying this vaccine is rushed, perhaps you should consider that these things run a lot smoother when you throw bottomless amounts of money at it and have the best people working on it damn near 24/7.

And then, ya know, shut the fuck up and stop talking bollocks.

On topic - yes. I work in a hospital. Just inject that shit into my arm day one.
This is a good point. I doubt we have ever had a vaccine get this much funding before.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

You can't test for every single scenario when you factor in the worlds population. I'm sure someone out of a billion people might experience a side effect, but if you're a healthy adult it probably won't be you.

Like you say there's risk no matter what you do, just like there's risk in everything you do in life. I get not needing it if you follow proper guidelines, but even that is no guarantee. I mean, I voted no, because I don't leave my house, so I'm in no hurry to take it. Doesn't mean I won't ever take it though.

I will be sad when being a jobless loser and a hermit is no longer socially acceptable again.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, an anti-vaxxer out in the open. Lol!

Wait, so saying you would rather wait than to go first is anti-vaxx?

an·ti-vax·xer
/ˌan(t)ēˈvaksər,ˌan(t)īˈvaksər/
nounINFORMAL
a person who is opposed to vaccination, typically a parent who does not wish to vaccinate their child.
"experts say several diseases that are avoidable are making a comeback due to anti-vaxxers who refuse to vaccinate their kids"

Who said they refused to at all? It would be best if you kept it cute and read what people are saying than jumping in here throwing around labels to people with concerns.

All of the vaccines that are anticipating to be ready in the next few months have been tested on tens of thousands of people, and have shown their efficiency and safety, the first person to be injected with the oxford vaccine it as part of the trial was in April. Several of the vaccines(Not any of the mRNA ones) are based off of in development SARS vaccines, and have been testing and monitored for at least 5 years.

Calling someone a "guinea pig" because you decided to not read up on any of these, is disingenuous at best and dangerous at worse. This is full tilt anti-vaxx rhetoric you're spewing here, weather you know it is, or not.

We have all heard of the same information. It's not like this forum doesn't have threads on this stuff. Again, the vaccine is not 100% effective, instead being 95% and side effects that they've took note of so far are only headaches and fatigue. And this was done on 41k of people. I've been paying attention. But 41k isn't 2 billion and waiting and seeing isn't anti vaxx. Straight up being against the vaccine IS.

Edit: and for the record, I didn't call anyone a guinea pig so don't put words in my mouth. My post in this thread is a response post to someone who said what I couldn't say. I just quoted the other poster who took a position of shaming people that explained their no as being unreasonable

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
This is a good point. I doubt we have ever had a vaccine get this much funding before.

Plus a LOT more volunteers than you'd normally get.

But hey, what does science know. I'm sure random era posters who actually enjoy sitting inside 24/7 know more about vaccines than the people who, ya know, fucking designed them and have submitted the results for approval by health care authorities.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, I am absolutely, 100%, not anti-vac. I just got my flu shot a couple weeks ago. My daughter is two and is loaded up with everything the docs have suggested. I 100% intend to get the COVID shot. I just think there's a risk to being the first to take it. And for what it's worth, I'll probably STILL take the COVID shot first opportunity it's offered to me. Eh, I am not too worried. I simply can understand why others might be - and to suggest every single possible outcome has been tested for, sounds like an exaggeration.
I am ignorant as hell when it comes to vaccine research and production. But I'm not dumb.

The only way this shit even gets to market, where you- the average person- can walk into a CVS and get stabby-stabbed with a needle, as if the producers of the vaccine have gone through all of the testing required by all relevant oversight committees, and just general ethics codes and observational skills, to get it rubber stamped. The overwhelming majority of people are not going to die or even suffer serious side effects from this, because such side effects would've been hashed out during the testing phase before it is approved for mass consumption. Like, they would've seen test subjects dropping like flies, gone "Oh, that's neat," and just fixed it, then tested it again, and they do this over and over until it just fucking works. Like, do you really think this thing is going to cause immediate spewing of blood from every oriface the moment it's injected, that the literal tens of thousands of people who they've already tested it on wouldn't have had that symptom pop up, and you just happen to be the unlucky one who's a unique case study?

The worst that probably happens to you is a mild immune response- fever, aches, chills etc., like with the flu shot (which just means the vaccine is actually doing its job and making sweet little antibodies)- or that it just doesn't do anything for you, since it's only 95% effective, and not 100% effective.

This is like if Ford announced a bangin' new Focus for 2022, and people who are interested in the new Focus came along and asked "How do I REALLY know the Ford Focus 2022 is going to not have the engine fall out when I drive it off the lot? I don't wanna be the first sucker!" I mean, fuck me. I dunno how car production works. I just place faith in the systems that be that Ford has to abide by- as well as the belief that they don't want the PR nightmare of explaining such a dangerous bug- to do everything physically possible to prevent the engine from falling out. Does that mean it's 100% impossible for a car engine to not fall out from a new car? Of course not. But I have driven many a car in my lifetime, and have seen tens of thousands more cars, and I haven't seen an engine fall out yet. PRETTY SAFE TO ERR ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOUR NEW CAR ENGINE WON'T FALL OUT, AND YOU CAN BUY THAT NEW BANGIN' FORD FOCUS 2022.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We have all heard of the same information. It's not like this forum doesn't have threads on this stuff. Again, the vaccine is not 100% effective, instead being 95% and side effects that they've took note of so far are only headaches and fatigue. And this was done on 41k of people. I've been paying attention. But 41k isn't 2 billion and waiting and seeing isn't anti vaxx. Straight up being against the vaccine IS.

Edit: and for the record, I didn't call anyone a guinea pig so don't put words in my mouth. My post in this thread is a response post to someone who said what I couldn't say. I just quoted the other poster who took a position of shaming people that explained their no as being unreasonable
95% effective is WILDLY more effective than most vaccines! You clearly haven't read much with how you stated that. The Smallpox vaccine is 77%, most vaccines you get as a kid (MMR, etc) are in the 85% effective range. 95 is an insanely high number.

41k people is a HUGE sample size for testing a vaccine too, most trials go through 5-10k people and base their numbers off that.

If you're going to try to say you're not anti-vaxx, and still spout their nonsense, please go read up on this stuff.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I am ignorant as hell when it comes to vaccine research and production. But I'm not dumb.

The only way this shit even gets to market, where you- the average person- can walk into a CVS and get stabby-stabbed with a needle, as if the producers of the vaccine have gone through all of the testing required by all relevant oversight committees, and just general ethics codes and observational skills, to get it rubber stamped. The overwhelming majority of people are not going to die or even suffer serious side effects from this, because such side effects would've been hashed out during the testing phase before it is approved for mass consumption. Like, they would've seen test subjects dropping like flies, gone "Oh, that's neat," and just fixed it, then tested it again, and they do this over and over until it just fucking works. Like, do you really think this thing is going to cause immediate spewing of blood from every oriface the moment it's injected, that the literal tens of thousands of people who they've already tested it on wouldn't have had that symptom pop up, and you just happen to be the unlucky one who's a unique case study?

The worst that probably happens to you is a mild immune response- fever, aches, chills etc., like with the flu shot (which just means the vaccine is actually doing its job and making sweet little antibodies)- or that it just doesn't do anything for you, since it's only 95% effective, and not 100% effective.

This is like if Ford announced a bangin' new Focus for 2022, and people who are interested in the new Focus came along and asked "How do I REALLY know the Ford Focus 2022 is going to not have the engine fall out when I drive it off the lot? I don't wanna be the first sucker!" I mean, fuck me. I dunno how car production works. I just place faith in the systems that be that Ford has to abide by- as well as the belief that they don't want the PR nightmare of explaining such a dangerous bug- to do everything physically possible to prevent the engine from falling out. Does that mean it's 100% impossible for a car engine to not fall out from a new car? Of course not. But I have driven many a car in my lifetime, and have seen tens of thousands more cars, and I haven't seen an engine fall out yet. PRETTY SAFE TO ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION THAT YOUR NEW CAR ENGINE WON'T FALL OUT, AND YOU CAN BUY THAT NEW BANGIN' FORD FOCUS 2022.

This is a great reply and I can't disagree with you - and I'm nodding to most all of it.

But I fuck you not, I bought a (used) car and the engine did fall out, lmfao.... so this was an amazing example hahaha

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great reply and I can't disagree with you - and I'm nodding to most all of it.

But I fuck you not, I bought a (used) car and the engine did fall out, lmfao.... so this was an amazing example hahaha
Lol I apologize for your horrible luck. How much was it for?

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Wait, so saying you would rather wait than to go first is anti-vaxx?

an·ti-vax·xer
/ˌan(t)ēˈvaksər,ˌan(t)īˈvaksər/
nounINFORMAL
a person who is opposed to vaccination, typically a parent who does not wish to vaccinate their child.
"experts say several diseases that are avoidable are making a comeback due to anti-vaxxers who refuse to vaccinate their kids"

Who said they refused to at all? It would be best if you kept it cute and read what people are saying than jumping in here throwing around labels to people with concerns.

Here, let me break it down for you nice and simple:
Waiting and seeing + not taking it = anti vaccination

"Cute" enough for you? (whatever the hell that means)
Apparently you don't realize that while people 'wait and see', the pandemic wreaks havoc.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This is like if Ford announced a bangin' new Focus for 2022, and people who are interested in the new Focus came along and asked "How do I REALLY know the Ford Focus 2022 is going to not have the engine fall out when I drive it off the lot? I don't wanna be the first sucker!" I mean, fuck me. I dunno how car production works. I just place faith in the systems that be that Ford has to abide by- as well as the belief that they don't want the PR nightmare of explaining such a dangerous bug- to do everything physically possible to prevent the engine from falling out. Does that mean it's 100% impossible for a car engine to not fall out from a new car? Of course not. But I have driven many a car in my lifetime, and have seen tens of thousands more cars, and I haven't seen an engine fall out yet. PRETTY SAFE TO ERR ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOUR NEW CAR ENGINE WON'T FALL OUT, AND YOU CAN BUY THAT NEW BANGIN' FORD FOCUS 2022.

While I get the analogy its actually a terrible example, because first model year cars usually do have more problems that get get sorted out as production goes on. The Focus example is also bad because of their problem with their automatic transmission which is pretty much guaranteed to fail, but people didn't know about it until a few years into ownership.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not apprehensive about blood spewing out of my orifices or immediately dropping dead. I am apprehensive about there being a longer term side effect that doesn't manifest initially and couldn't be thoroughly tested for in such a short period of time. I do not think it is unreasonable to be apprehensive about a vaccine that is rapidly brought to market through an effort named "Operation Warp Speed" that was spearheaded by Donald Trump.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, why not? I don't expect I'd get the chance until later this year, being in no risk group, fairly young and otherwise healthy, but if someone offered it to me today, I'd jump at the chance.

Also disappointed there's no Thor 2 choice on the poll.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm not apprehensive about blood spewing out of my orifices or immediately dropping dead. I'm am apprehensive about there being a longer term side effect that doesn't manifest initially and couldn't be thoroughly tested for in such a short period of time. I do not think it is unreasonable to be apprehensive about a vaccine that is rapidly brought to market through an effort named "Operation Warp Speed" that was spearheaded by Donald Trump.
Except, Pfizer literally didn't participate in Operation Warp Speed, and very few vaccines did. Pfizer only signed up after their trials were done to gain access to funding for increased production.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Just so you know there are multiple independent health and medication agencies throughout the EU that will have to sign off on this before it becomes available to the public.
Not to mention that there's a sizable part of the scientific community currently working on covid19 related research.
Yep that's why I would still take it when available, I'm sure, even with the timescale, thorough tests will be and are being done. No way will they rush this without being fully confident it's viable and effective.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not apprehensive about blood spewing out of my orifices or immediately dropping dead. I am apprehensive about there being a longer term side effect that doesn't manifest initially and couldn't be thoroughly tested for in such a short period of time. I do not think it is unreasonable to be apprehensive about a vaccine that is rapidly brought to market through an effort named "Operation Warp Speed" that was spearheaded by Donald Trump.
I mean what if there are side effects years down the road, you're not gonna wait years to take it. If scientists with understanding of this stuff say it's okay, and hell they are taking it too, I just don't get the 'whatabout". In my case I have a relatively rare neurological disease, I highly doubt they've tested the vaccine on anyone who has what I have, if my doctor says good to go I don't really have much of an argument considering I am not a doctor.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

Except they don't normally test for that sort of thing before releasing vaccines. Otherwise you'd have to do years of testing before releasing anything. Which doesn't happen. The years vaccines usually take are primarily development but that's done here. They project long term information based on the short term data and how people who reactrd similarly to this did over the long term with other medicines. They then also continue monitoring over time as will happen here.

Long term side effects could show up after 10 years. Or 20. Or 50. Should we wait 50 years? Just like with standard vaccines, you test short term, for a few months. Sometimes for up to two years, but usually when you test that long its not about long term data, its about a lack of data because not enough of your trial group have gotten the thing yet. The one good thing about this being so out of control is there's a lot of data already.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While I get the analogy its actually a terrible example, because first model year cars usually do have more problems that get get sorted out as production goes on. The Focus example is also bad because of their problem with their automatic transmission which is pretty much guaranteed to fail, but people didn't know about it until a few years into ownership.
But did the fucking engine fall out? That was the comparative point of the analogy and yet you decided to "Well, ACTUALLY" it.

Do you think scientists are not including reasonable long-term observations in their studies, or that they're all just idiots and you figured it out? Donald Trump is neither here nor there. He wanted a vaccine by November 3rd. He didn't get it, because science doesn't work on his terms.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I work in healthcare, I'll be mandated to get it regardless. However if it was solely my choice to get it or not I'd still get it as anything that might help protect the patients I care for is worth taking.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Lol I apologize for your horrible luck. How much was it for?

It was a '96 Monte Carlo. I got it in 2005/2006 or therabouts - my first car. Terrible POS. I got a job at 15, saved for a year, got it when I turned 16 for $3,700 off some sketchy used car lot. Couldn't find ANYTHING "reliable" from Honda/Toyota/etc for under like $5K - which at the time was a huge increase in cost. So hell, at least the Z34 MC looked decent. Good red paint. Clean interior. Had a aftermarket stereo.

Next two years of my life was basically working to keep that car running to keep getting to work to keep paying for repairs. Thing was garbage. I realized soon after the dealer and covered the dash lights/engine check light with electrical tape. Over the course of a couple years, I had the AC go out, windows stop working (sucks when no AC), multiple hoses and belts go bad, power steering go out, stereo stop working, caliper seized... and then I was having transmission issues and one day the entire tranny basically stopped working - my car rev'd to redline all of a sudden and massive parts of the transmission and bits of the engine (I was no expert... let's just say giant chunks of metal clearly important to make the car go) just plunked out on in the middle of the road.

Long, long story - but ended up getting out of the repairs and ended up getting a much newer car when I went off to colelge.

Oct 25, 2017
95% effective is WILDLY more effective than most vaccines! You clearly haven't read much with how you stated that. The Smallpox vaccine is 77%, most vaccines you get as a kid (MMR, etc) are in the 85% effective range. 95 is an insanely high number.

41k people is a HUGE sample size for testing a vaccine too, most trials go through 5-10k people and base their numbers off that.

If you're going to try to say you're not anti-vaxx, and still spout their nonsense, please go read up on this stuff.

What nonsense?! Anti-Vaxxer will NEVER take a Vaccine. That's the BIGGEST difference. I want to wait. I would rather wait. The question is if it came out today, would I take it. I voted NO, I will wait. But the demonization for saying you to wait rather than YES is what I have a problem with.

We can agree that yes, is the vaccine more far along than it previous was? Yes, but is it a problem to wait? I don't believe it is.

Here, let me break it down for you nice and simple:
Waiting and seeing + not taking it = anti vaccination

"Cute" enough for you? (whatever the hell that means)

If this is your definition of what people are saying, then it says everything I need to know. I'm done engaging.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I cant answer. If Dr. Fauci says go vaccinate, I will. If its a Trump lackey, I wont.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
No. Assuming it is ready to go, give it to the most vulnerable first and then me.

What is this thread, some kind of anti vax trap?Some of these posters on here are weirdos. If you express a hint of trepidation you're suddenly a anti vaxxer? Foh, stop putting words in people's mouths.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I cant answer. If Dr. Fauci says go vaccinate, I will. If its a Trump lackey, I wont.
There is this to. Some people don't trust this administration. Maybe OP should edit his post and say if this current administration fast tracked the fda approval process and vaccines are available to you, would you take it? That is a fair question and I would be curious to see the responses.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The vaccines are immune inducing. They provoke the immune system to create antibodies effective against the virus. They use fragments of proteins that the immune system will recognize and respond to, proteins that are part of the virus. They do not use live viruses capable of infecting you.

The methods of delivery are safe. They have few side effects, as they are similar to classic immunizations which use fragments, not whole organisms or whole viruses.

Yes, you should get the vaccines when they are available. Do a bit of research into vaccinations if you're worried. There is no politicization in the vaccine research and production process, only politicians attempting to take credit for that work.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What nonsense?! Anti-Vaxxer will NEVER take a Vaccine. That's the BIGGEST difference. I want to wait. I would rather wait. The question is if it came out today, would I take it. I voted NO, I will wait. But the demonization for saying you to wait rather than YES is what I have a problem with.

We can agree that yes, is the vaccine more far along than it previous was? Yes, but is it a problem to wait? I don't believe it is.
You just moved the goal posts with this.

You said earlier, and it's been quoted, that you don't want to because it hasn't been tested enough. Then when presented with it have being tested enough, you claimed the 95% efficacy was too low. And when that is presented to you as being actually remarkably high for a vaccine, now its "I just wanna wait because I wanna wait."

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think scientists are not including reasonable long-term observations in their studies, or that they're all just idiots and you figured it out? Donald Trump is neither here nor there. He wanted a vaccine by November 3rd. He didn't get it, because science doesn't work on his terms.
The entire point of science is to continually test and challenge what we believe to be "true" to determine what actually is. There is a long, well-documented history of medical treatments that were thought to be helpful at the time yet actually weren't. It's incredibly naive to think we have it all figured out in 2020. The COVID vaccine won't be in the category as the vaccines for stuff like Smallpox or Polio that have decades of data proving them to be perfectly safe.

I might feel differently if i lived in a big city or something, but I live in a North Texas suburb. For the most part COVID is still just something I read about. I work from home, wear my mask, diligently social distance, etc. I'm not in any rush to be part of the first wave of the general population to get the vaccine.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
No. Assuming it is ready to go, give it to the most vulnerable first and then me.

What is this thread, some kind of anti vax trap?Some of these posters on here are weirdos. If you express a hint of trepidation you're suddenly a anti vaxxer? Foh, stop putting words in people's mouths.
There is this to. Some people don't trust this administration. Maybe OP should edit his post and say if this current administration fast tracked the fda approval process and vaccines are available to you, would you take it? That is a fair question and I would be curious to see the responses.

Jesus Christ, Trump has NOTHING to do with the vaccine. His opinion means nothing as to whether it gets approved or not. If it did, it'd have been rushed through months ago.

ETA - oh and fuck me, if this thread is anything to by the vaccine won't accomplish anything. Fucking Hell, Era... you've somehow sunk to even worse depths than I thought possible..

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But did the fucking engine fall out? That was the comparative point of the analogy and yet you decided to "Well, ACTUALLY" it.

My only intention was to point out that trying to convince someone that they shouldn't be afraid to be an early adopter of a vaccine by comparing it to something that will actually give you problems by being an early adopter isn't a good comparison.

I would say to the person you quoted that its just like the flu vaccine, which they already got. Plenty of research has gone into it to make sure its safe for release. Millions of people get the flu vaccine every year, and they're not dying from side effects. Is it guaranteed to keep you safe? No. But you're better off getting it than not.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ the people in this thread who think the vaccine is a piece of software and are waiting for version 1.2 to work out the bugs.

Anyways, yes I will take it as soon as I can.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
What nonsense?! Anti-Vaxxer will NEVER take a Vaccine. That's the BIGGEST difference. I want to wait. I would rather wait.
Baby steps. How long are you willing to wait? A month? 2? A year? Perhaps... indefinitely? When will you be satisfied? What are your criteria for satisfaction?
If you're not anti-vax now, you're certainly setting yourself on the path. I do hope you'll see the many explanations of why the vaccine will be safe to use when available and at least consider it. Or at the very least, stop spreading your potentially dangerous ideas and please don't try to convince people that the vaccine might be dangerous.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

If this is your definition of what people are saying, then it says everything I need to know. I'm done engaging.

You do realize that a huge chunk of anti vaxxers claim not to be anti vaccine, right? Its always this vaccine is a problem, or I need more data, or I want a slower schedule, or vaccines are fine for others but not for me. Your statements, which show a complete misunderstanding of how vaccine science works, are right in line with that.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The entire point of science is to continually test and challenge what we believe to be "true" to determine what actually is. There is a long, well-documented history of medical treatments that were thought to be helpful at the time yet actually weren't. It's incredibly naive to think we have it all figured out in 2020. The COVID vaccine won't be in the category as the vaccines for stuff like Smallpox or Polio that have decades of data proving them to be perfectly safe.

I might feel differently if i lived in a big city or something, but I live in a North Texas suburb. For the most part COVID is still just something I read about. I work from home, wear my mask, diligently social distance, etc. I'm not in any rush to be part of the first wave of the general population to get the vaccine.

If everyone had waited decades for the smallpox vaccine we'd never have gotten that data. Every day you wait (once the thing is widely available of course) is another day you could get the thing and pass it to someone else. Its another day you might not only put yourself at risk but also might kill someone else.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Why in the world do you think the entire foundation of vaccine testing and production is not being rigorously used and considered in this instance like it is for every other vaccine that is developed, that we're starting from complete scratch in terms of knowledge, development, and ethics, and thus the covid vaccine will likely be harmful? Did you apply this level of skepticism to the new flu vaccine that hits every year (flu shots are not the same every year because the virus mutates), or the new shingles shot that came out only a few years ago that eligible persons are recommended to take even if they got the original shingles vaccine? Ultimately, why do you think it's naive to trust scientists than to not trust scientists? Because literally the only way a vaccine gets approved for public use is if the science says it's safe and relatively effective for the general population.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've been called for an appointment after submitting myself for vaccine trials here in the UK earlier this year, so yes.

Dec 12, 2017
Why in the world do you think the entire foundation of vaccine testing and production is not being rigorously used and considered in this instance like it is for every other vaccine that is developed, that we're starting from complete scratch in terms of knowledge, development, and ethics, and thus the covid vaccine will likely be harmful? Did you apply this level of skepticism to the new flu vaccine that hits every year (flu shots are not the same every year because the virus mutates), or the new shingles shot that came out only a few years ago that eligible persons are recommended to take even if they got the original shingles vaccine? Ultimately, why do you think it's naive to trust scientists than to not trust scientists? Because literally the only way a vaccine gets approved for public use is if the science says it's safe and relatively effective for the general population.
Thank you. This will be the most scrutinized vaccine in probably world history.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember having to get vaccinated for Anthrax and a whole host of other nefarious things. At this point my insides have so many antibodies floating around...whats one more?

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Thank you. This will be the most scrutinized vaccine in probably world history.
Based on this thread, and what I've heard from people I respected in real life, I'm honestly dreading the response to the release of this thing. The anti-vax rhetoric is going to be in full force, in a way that's never been seen before in history. I'm seriously going to have to delete my social media for a while to preserve my sanity.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming I see no credible reason to distrust the approval process of the specific vaccine in question, and assuming supply has been appropriately prioritized by need—then yes, of course.