• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you vaccinate?

• Yes

Votes: 1,250 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 319 20.3%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If it's fully approved by an international health council, then yes.

If it's been rushed out the door without proper testing thanks to hefty bribes from Donald Trump, then no.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'd probably say no if it was a "Trump vaccine", but the fact that Pfizer developed it without the US government's dollars makes me trust it more.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When you talk about waiting to let others beta test it before you get it you know you are saying "let old people and health care workers absorb all the risk and if they die thank god it wasn't me" right.

Just so all the people who "worry" about the vaccine know what they are actually implying.

If you believe in the science of vaccines and the process you shouldn't desire other people to be your guinea pig. If you don't just have the fucking courage to say that you don't. And yes, that is a plain call out to many people in this thread.

Last edited:

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
A lot of anti-vax thoughts being expressed in this thread by people who probably don't believe themselves to be anti-vaxxers.

When you talk about waiting to let others beta test it before you get it you know you are saying "let old people and health care workers absorb all the risk and if they die thank god it wasn't me" right.

Just so all the people who "worry" about the vaccine know what they are actually implying.
They're willing to let people, especially those at risk, continue to die by the thousands daily, all in the name of... what, exactly? Also, the audacity to tell the willing recipients of the vaccine that they view us as... guinea pigs? Test subjects? Wow. Boggles the mind that anyone would be vocal about these reservations. It's shameful behavior, really.
They see it as a "well it's just me, one person, I don't go out much, not like I'm part of the problem". Guess what, it's not just you, it's you and a vocal number of others who are spreading this shitty mindset. People will die because of this thought process.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
With Donald Trump losing the election, I have so much more faith in these vaccines and their trials. If some vaccine was announced on Oct 20, distributed on NOv 2nd, I would have been much more skeptical than now, after the election.

Trump has already given up on being president. No doubt, he wants to win, but he doesn't want to be president anymore, so he personally doesn't care if there's a vaccine or if it's effective. And given that Pfizer's vaccine development was not part of 'Project Warp Speed' from the Trump administration (though it will be distributed by the military once approved), and that the results are basically the same as Moderna's vaccine (which was part of Warp Speed), I trust both of them. If there were more doubts, we would have heard more about them at this point. Consider when Trump started talking about hydroxychloroquine, we had people in the CDC and NHS resign and blow the whistle on it, you had doctors continually going public saying that this was risky and there's no proven benefit and it's probably harmful. Those in government lost their jobs over that. Today, the risks to a whistleblower would be much less severe -- Trump lost, you can blow the whistle and lose your job for 60 days and probably get it back in January -- and you haven't heard whistle blowing on these vaccines, now about 10 days since the first trial information has come out.

Uncle Classy

Oct 27, 2017
An approved vaccine? No question about it. Part of the clinical trial process is investigating adverse effects on a representative sample of the population. Will they catch absolutely everything? No, but the risk of side effects due to any of the vaccines being released now versus the risk of letting the pandemic continue to rage is minimal, especially for otherwise healthy people who take it.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Absolutely. I signed up for the trials and would have gladly taken that got to stage 3 trials. I'm in a high risk category and I'm tired of feeling like I can't live my life. These things have already been given to tens of thousands of people with no significant health issues found. Those equivocating at this point about safety, when the safety risk of COVID is FAR worse at this point than the risk that somehow we haven't found some health issue with these vaccines, are incredibly irresponsible.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Need to see more than press releases from pharmaceutical companies, but yes.

If respectable outlets like JAMA/NEJM back up their claims, I'll be first in line.

Oct 25, 2017

If you believe in the science of vaccines and the process you shouldn't desire other people to be your guinea pig. If you don't just have the fucking courage to say that you don't. And yes, that is a plain call out to many people in this thread.

Ok, I'll take the bait. So then what is the purpose of taking the vaccine at all then if by your definition, the people who voluntarily take it die?

What exactly is the solution here? We must all herd mentality into the vaccine? Everyone should just take is so no one is a guinea pig? What are you even saying?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Sure, with the 90-95% success rate (basically as good as it gets), no good reason not to. Wife works at doctors office, so she would probably be among the first in line as a health worker- not sure if any of that extends to me or the kids getting it early (you'd think if they want to make priority of keeping health workers immune, they'd want the people they share a house with in the same boat.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
In my veins immediately!
And I want a certificate that says I got the vaccine that lets me go back to Europe and not need to use a mask any longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the only way we beat this thing

But wasn't that the same logic to relaxing state restrictions on social gatherings for COVID? We should just all get it because then we can just magically build resistance to something that literally affects people differently?

See, this is my problem with that mentality. Some people would rather not risk themselves YET. Especially if its not mandatory, and it's likely for the same reason people haven't voluntarily went out to get COVID. It's because they do not know how it will react to them. So the insinuation that it's fucked up to say to wait to see how it reacts to other people before jumping in yourself and then that being turned into "your just willing to let people die and become guinea pigs" is just a fucked up statement.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
In my veins immediately!
And I want a certificate that says I got the vaccine that lets me go back to Europe and not need to use a mask any longer.
It would need to say not effective until MM/DD/YYYY since you won't actually be safe for at least a month and half from the first dose.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it has the support of independent medical organizations, yes. Not pharmaceutical companies, not governments, not any agency that has a vested monetary interest in "return to normalcy" regardless of human costs. If medical professionals around the world, at all levels, give it their stamp of approval, I'll take it, but not until that point.

I don't think it's overly conspiratorial to be skeptical of an unusual vaccine in extraordinary circumstances, where even non-partisan groups have a strong motivation to massage the truth for economic reasons.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Approved by the EU? I definitely would. Every option has its risks, obviously, but I've already seen first-hand what corona does, too many times; I'll take my chances with the vaccine.

In my veins immediately!

I would still use a mask, and so should you. The vaccine is 95% effective, not 100%.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
20 percent not willing is pretty wild considering the side effects would almost assuredly be less dangerous than long covid, which will permanently damage your liver, heart, and lungs.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a chance. These vaccines are being rushed to hell. I'll need to do some serious research first.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
20 percent not willing is pretty wild considering the side effects would almost assuredly be less dangerous than long covid which will permanently damage your liver heart and lungs.
A lot of those "No" votes, including mine, are not outright or even skeptical though. A lot are simply because of the condition of "today" and we know there's going to be a supply issue until at least the middle of next year.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not yet. Not because I'm anti vaccine but because I don't yet trust this administration and pharmaceuticals to deliver something that is thoroughly tested and vetted.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I'll take the bait. So then what is the purpose of taking the vaccine at all then if by your definition, the people who voluntarily take it die?

What exactly is the solution here? We must all herd mentality into the vaccine? Everyone should just take is so no one is a guinea pig? What are you even saying?

You're being openly shitty when you say you'll take it only after other people be your guinea pig. This is a thought experiment. If you can't even in a thought experiment take a fucking vaccine without prefacing you don't trust it enough to take it first you don't really believe in these vaccines.

Just say you don't trust it. Stop hiding away trying to seem reasonable. If there was a vaccine today and I was told I can take it I will take it. Period. Will I logistically be in the first round? No. Does that matter to how you should answer this question. No it does not.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So the insinuation that it's fucked up to say to wait to see how it reacts to other people before jumping in yourself and then that being turned into "your just willing to let people die and become guinea pigs" is just a fucked up statement.

You only get to have this mentality because other people are willing to take it for the greater good. If we all had your mentality no one would fucking taking take it lol. Yall wanna have your cake and eat it too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No. I need to have more information as to what the side effects are.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
You only get to have this mentality because other people are willing to take it for the greater good. If we all had your mentality no one would fucking taking take it lol. Yall wanna have your cake and eat it too.

These are basically my thoughts. The sooner everyone takes the vaccine who is able to, the sooner we get this pandemic under control and the more deaths we get to prevent. Saying, "nah, I'll hold off a bit, " in light of all that is...pretty shitty. It would be one thing if the fears were actually reasonable, but so far they just seem born out of total ignorance.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Literally had this conversation with a coworker last night. A vaccine only gets approved for public use if it's safe. They've already done all the tests necessary for someone like me to take it. Give me that vaccine please. I want to go to the movies again.

Apr 27, 2020
Yes but an average joe like me isn't going to be able to take it anytime soon considering they're distributing it for 328M people and the people who are at risk get it first.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If EMA says It is okay then i'll take their word for it.

Personally as a doctor i ahve treated a few COVID19 pateints and have been lucky to not get infected. If there is a vaccine i'll get if possible even if i have to pay for it. I don't want to gamble my life on a preventable disease.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
20 percent not willing is pretty wild considering the side effects would almost assuredly be less dangerous than long covid which will permanently damage your liver heart and lungs.
It's better than it was a month ago.

www.resetera.com

If a COVID 19 vaccine became available in the next month, would you be eager to take it right away? COVID

Trump has tried his best to wear away the public's confidence in our voting process, in science, in our trust in public servants and a functioning government. With talks of fast tracking vaccines and there being no way the long term effects can possibly have been tested would you be happy to...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If scientists say it's safe, I'll gladly wait in line. And I'd bug every one of my family members to do the same.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Not in a risk group, I work from home and can hang out with my friends online. I'll hold off until it is widely available.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing a lot of people here saying no is fucking sad

We're really gonna be doing this thing for another year