• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you use this app? (Read OP)

• Yes

Votes: 127 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 97 43.3%

• Total voters

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only remember like 2-3 dreams a year and I am exhausted no matter how long I sleep, so yeah that would be an actual upgrade.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
as someone who has been having sleep problems my entire life and have always fantasized about having the power to just instantly go to sleep and do so straight for 8 hours, i really would be sorely tempted. i'm sure a lot of stress and health issues i have would be relieved so much from being well-rested every night.

but

i really hate commercials, and i really don't trust corporations to have that kind of influence over me.

so yeah, i'm conflicted, and i would maybe even try it once. i'd like to say i'd be strong-willed enough to not get caught under the spell of a constant barrage of unavoidable advertising, but yeah, it'd be tough.

i think maybe the best compromise for me would be to save it only for the real stressful days when i absolutely need to get perfect sleep. most days, i wouldn't use it at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all just need to learn to practice good sleep hygiene
Which is great advice, but hard to put into practise. Lots of things factor into poor "sleep hygiene", mental health conditions like anxiety can lead to people using screen time to try to get their brain to stop making excess noise, to distract from depressing and harmful thoughts.

It's like when people say "meditate and you can diffuse your negative thoughts". Yeh, that's true, but actually getting to the point you CAN meditate is a pretty big journey for some people.

Saying this... as someone who does struggle with the above, I do try to swap out a screen for a book as often as I can. If not, I try to switch active browsing or games with a movie. Right now, though, lockdown is making all these self-care practises much harder, for me at least.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I hate watching ads, and that also sounds like an amazing way to subliminally plant consumerist bullshit in your head. Or at least stuff like annoying marketing catchphrases and jingles that will get stuck in your head really easily when you're awake.

I'll pass because my sleep is okay right now, but I might consider it if I was unusually tired or something.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I want to be able to wake up if my dog has an emergency, so no thanks. I have a senior dog that sometimes needs to go out at 4am and when I ignore it, she goes on the floor. There are also other emergencies that I don't want to sleep through, like weather events.

Also I love my weird ass dreams. They don't need ads in them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this reminds me of an advert for an app I saw in a news feed the other day...

An app that has videos and games and activities to help you sleep, that had no mention of reducing bluelight or the fact excess screen time is an issue in itself. Seemed a bit counter productive...

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I like having my own dreams... what would I talk to my psychoanalyst if I had ad dreams only?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I'd pay for the ad-free version if available. Not sure I'd do it if I was seeing ads all the time in my dreams.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty fortunate that I don't experience many sleep problems. More often than not I don't even realize I'm asleep until I wake up. I don't dream very often at all. Only real issue I have is an aging bladder and having to wake up to pee an hour or two before I want to wake up. So no I wouldn't use this app.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Absolutely not. Take into consideration the fact that getting sleep is one of the key components to long-term learning and you have the idea that getting advertising piped directly into that important period of knowledge retention means that a good chunk of how you act/what you know will be slowly replaced with whatever the fuck a corporation wants.

Literal brainwashing into whatever a billion dollar CEO wants you to be. Even if you don't actively dream, your brain is still active and working.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's actually a tough question. Probably wouldn't use it every time, but definitely at least sometimes

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Absolutely not. Take into consideration the fact that getting sleep is one of the key components to long-term learning and you have the idea that getting advertising piped directly into that important period of knowledge retention means that a good chunk of how you act/what you know will be slowly replaced with whatever the fuck a corporation wants.

Literal brainwashing into whatever a billion dollar CEO wants you to be. Even if you don't actively dream, your brain is still active and working.

"For some reason I really want some McDonalds this morning..."

May 26, 2018
No fuckin' way. The inside of one's brain is the last bastion of privacy on this planet. Everyone in the world can stay the fuck out forever.