• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will you do?

• I won't play RE3 until a mod allows me to remove Nemesis

Votes: 63 6.6%
  • Possibly not. Possibly yes. It will depend on how Nemesis is handled.

Votes: 154 16.1%
  • Nemesis is life. Nemesis is love. I want him.

Votes: 737 77.3%

• Total voters

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
MrX was definitely my least favorite part of RE2 but if nemesis is done well I guess it could be fun. I don't think I'd mod him out though. I also hated RE3 so I'm not super hyped for this new one either.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I certainly have nothing against people wanting to enjoy a game as they see fit but I question why even bother playing RE3 without Nemesis there? Play another RE game instead? Nemesis is going to be fun. Still it's your game, knock yourself out.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I wouldnt personally, but I also wouldnt mock the hell out of other people for doing so. That RE2 Mr.X thread was just sad in this respect.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
If I can't handle Nemesis I'll quit the game, not turn it into something it's not.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
The game is not even out yet, and people are already contemplating removing a core part from it?? Why would you even play the game then? Surely there are other options for you if you, so many games nowadays...
I cant wrap my head around this logic, so no.
No Nemesis = No Resident Evil 3

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
No. Didn't vote because there doesn't seem to be an option for that, but just no. I don't think he is love or life, but a key part of the game that if I'm going to play, I'd like to actually play.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Mr X was repetitive and boring. Nemesis likely woule be better in smaller doses. Don't over expose the moster in a horror.

Actually I don't plan to buy it anyway because of Resident Evil 2's repetition, maybe just buy it cheap and explore Racoon City with Mods, whatever gives me fun.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No but I do hope the game doesn't overuse him, while it's true he was a more persistent threat than Mr. X there were down times when he wasn't about.

In a way, there weren't. After he shows up at the RPD, every single moment you can expect him to show up. Of course, that's for new players. Once you understand the game you know there are times where he won't show up, but if you're playing for the firs time, the thought that he can show up right next door is ever present.

Mr. X was perfect for exactly 1 playthrough.

After that, I hate persistent pursuers in games. Its just dumb. I'd at the very least be up for like a "Logical Mr. X/Nemsis" mod for additional playthrough's where its like a menu setting where it just tones down his encounters, or sets them on a cooldown, or gives them some logic instead of "NEM GONNA GIVE IT TO YOU" out of nowhere.
I felt the same playing 3 back in the day as well.

It should never be something forced on the player. I honestly really appreciate Capcom going hard and making the player uncomfortable for a more defined experience. I feel the same way about Souls games and the easy mode everyone asks for. Mods or optional settings or things you get after you beat the main game.

As some wise comment on youtube said, Nemesis doesn't give, he takes it away!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly have nothing against people wanting to enjoy a game as they see fit but I question why even bother playing RE3 without Nemesis there? Play another RE game instead? Nemesis is going to be fun. Still it's your game, knock yourself out.
The OP says it only gets rid of the repetitive Hunter gameplay, I might enjoy him more in scripted moments and boss fights where every encounter feels special

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They felt Mr. X was annoying and a distraction from the game, to the point of removing the BOW from the RE2 entirely.

Hello! Couldn't stand him in my first two playthroughs, because I didn't feel like he did actually add anything meaningful. I know some found his encounters to be tense, or stressful, but I did find him to just be an annoying distraction. Mainly because he wasn't hard to avoid at all, and you had to either duck in a side, safe room to wait him out, or lure him out of the immediate area you were exploring just to get him out of your hair for a while.

I had such a negative reaction to him the first time that I dreaded the replay. Having recently replayed the game again for the third and fourth time though just a few weeks ago (as well as having a friend finally play through the game until the end), it wasn't really that bad. At least on the normal scenario, he doesn't really appear super early, and his staying time isn't really that long either, especially after your initial run. My reasoning for even deciding to replay the game anyway in the first place was because of finding out about the No X Mod, but I decided to not even download it. Honestly, I was reminded what the actual bad thing about REmake 2 was, and what I actually think can fuck off: adaptive difficulty. The better you do, the more health enemies get.

I didn't like RE3 all that much, but with the updated engine, the dodge mechanic should at least be more fluid here, and Nemesis isn't some kind of "Surprise Motherfucker" mechanic you don't know about ahead of time, and was in the original. There was also a reason to actually fight him in that game, unlike Mr. X in most encounters.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Isnt the whole game designed around fighting Nemesis over and over again? At least that was the case in the original game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've completed RE2 with Tyrant and I'll complete RE3 with Nemesis.

Because I'm cool and not afraid of anything.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The only mod I'd want is something that gives him a complimentary rap song.

Mr. "X GON' GIVE IT TO YA" made for so many hilarious memes and vids.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
A mod could be fun for a second or third playthrough just to dick around, but no, I absolutely will not remove the core experience from the game on a first playthrough.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, but no one deserves to be ridiculed for their personal gaming choices. (Yeah I'm @ing you guys in the Mr. X thread. 🙄)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, this would be like removing the timer from Majora's Mask. Only cowards would do such a thing.
In MM you need the timer to do the notebook sidequests. It adds to the atmosphere but it's not as repetetive as Mr X because you never have to repeat dungeons and mini dungeons in the main story because you're always unlocking new items, activating owl shortcuts that don't get reset.

All M X made me do is run in circles until he dissapeared and I put an item in something and it was repetitive, unsuspenful crap. It's not cowardly because I still finished the game, it was just boring.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I won't, but I can see where this idea is coming from. I really disliked Mr. X in RE2...

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis is the character and mechanic around which all of RE3 is designed, X is an ineffectual nuisance that provides, in my opinion, little value.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I stopped playing RE2 because of Mr X. It was rarely scary and often annoying to do puzzles and backtracking with him around.

I don't have any interest in playing a game planned around this annoying mechanic.

I also doubt any mod would rebalance it appropriately.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
In MM you need the timer to do the notebook sidequests. It adds to the atmosphere but it's not as repetetive as Mr X because you never have to repeat dungeons and mini dungeons in the main story because you're always unlocking new items, activating owl shortcuts that don't get reset.

All M X made me do is run in circles until he dissapeared and I put an item in something and it was repetitive, unsuspenful crap. It's not cowardly because I still finished the game, it was just boring.
Not sure why you're bringing up Mr. X when replying to me when I never mentioned him.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Mr X was fun the first play through. After that he became nothing less than an annoying nuance. If Nemesis feels the same and there's a mod to remove him he's gone.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Why would I remove the main point (and only point in the original, since it had little evolution) of the game?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I doubt it but who knows. It wouldn't be the craziest mod I've ever played that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I find the idea of custom fitting every game to my exact specifications of what I think I'd prefer incredibly boring, so no, I'll leave the game as is.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That would be incredibly stupid, since Nemesis is the point of the game. If you don't like Mr X then you should skip RE 3 entirely

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Easy modes in action games? Sure. Removing the whole point of a game from the game? Why? Why even play the game at that point?

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I say play however you want. Once you pay, mod all the zombies hugging each other singing show tunes if that makes you happy. I'll play with nemesis, but I also support those who'll mod it out.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
WIth how this website talks about modding stuff in Resident Evil. You'd think websites like NexusMods would be talked about with angry curses flying about.
inevitably the most popular mod will be some kind of sexy jill mod...or maybe a sexy carlos mod?

i sometimes hit up the most popular (last 30 days) mods for mhw on nexus and there are usually a handful of sexy/visual ones in there

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
The game is based around nemesis. Why on earth would you remove him? If you want an easier mode, that's cool, removing nemesis entirely isn't the way to do it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
inevitably the most popular mod will be some kind of sexy jill mod...or maybe a sexy carlos mod?

i sometimes hit up the most popular (last 30 days) mods for mhw on nexus and there are usually a handful of sexy/visual ones in there
My money is actually on a female version of Nemesis being the most popular mod. Unless there is really interesting cut content left in the bse game that is super easy to put back in. Then I think that'll take the top spot. Sexy versions come after

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
Just kill yourself a bunch of times and he'll get easier.

(I don't know if they really did this in the original or in the remake, but they did it in RE4 and later games.)