• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Do you think it is morally right to pirate a game you bought on a launcher on PC if the launcher is getting out of business?

What I mean is let us say you bought Mass Effect Andromeda on Origin, 2 years later EA says "We will not support Origin anymore. You wont be able to access all your games."
Would you think, since you already bought it, that its okay if you didnt do a backup or maybe this version needs to contact servers, to pirate said game?

I think it is interesting. For some launchers I have games I literally bought there over 16 years ago. They are still there.
Other launchers like Desura went out of business.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Unfortunately the deal is you pay for a licence to use on that launcher. The licence doesn't transfer should the company go out of business so that you can get the game by an alternate method (even illegally). This is why physical games are so important.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Justifying piracy.
Yes, I do, especially in your case when you've bought a game and then there's no other way to access said game.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If you already bought it, then yes. If not, then it's hard to say but probably not since nobody is entitled to a game just because it's no longer available to buy.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it's morally questionable even if it doesn't go out of business. If you already own it you're essentially just getting yourself a copy. I'm not sure why you'd need to but don't people do that exact same thing with movies?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Justifying piracy.
I had to download a crack for several PC retail secuROM games because they went out of business and i couldn't play with my legit copy.

So yes, piracy is ok in my book if i can't buy the game on any other platform.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
No. Unfortunately the deal is you pay for a licence to use on that launcher. The licence doesn't transfer should the company go out of business so that you can get the game by an alternate method (even illegally). This is why physical games are so important.
He asked if it was morally right, not legally right.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Obviously. Unless you think we should willingly allow culture to be erased for the benefit of copyright owners.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think this thread will be locked, because untimely the law is the law and no one can endorse breaking the law

However, copyright law isn't perfect and we should voice concerns on areas where it doesn't work as well as it could, while remaining within the law, as piracy can't be endorsed

That said, I'm not going to get upset if people end up playing games they have legally paid for

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It could be argued that downloading a cracked copy of a game you've legitimately purchased and doing so in a manner that doesn't aid in its distribution (e.g. downloading it via Usenet instead of a torrent) technically isn't piracy.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Steam library at this point is 16 years old and is approaching 900 games. I ain't rebuying shit if for whatever reason they disappear from the landscape and I don't care what the EULA says.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He asked if it was morally right, not legally right.
Same thing really for me. Video games are entertainment first and foremost. I would say people take moral stands against things that have tangible impact in the world. I get that games are important to people too, but I guess the closest point of comparison is the content available on WiiWare. That'll be lost to history soon, along with your purchases if not already.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing really for me. Video games are entertainment first and foremost. I would say people take moral stands against things that have tangible impact in the world. I get that games are important to people too, but I guess the closest point of comparison is the content available on WiiWare. That'll be lost to history soon, along with your purchases if not already.
Clearly you're not fan of things like MAME, then.

Jun 2, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Justifying piracy
Yes, if ir isn't accessible any other way and there's no way for the developer to benefit from you buying it. It's the reason why i keep for myself the isos of certain soccer games from the 90s, that won't bw picked up by any publisher because of the amount of money would take to republish them

If the game isn't on sale anymore, piracy won't make a difference

Oct 25, 2017
In how many countries until how recently was it technically illegal to record something on VHS/DVR?

Laws can change, and do. Often. What we have seen with a seismic shift to digital had been a testing of the boundaries of these laws. Not so many changes.

This example is about something that's never been physical to begin with.

In downloading said launcher there's always terms and conditions set out in the EULA. Would there not be a clause that covers the event of launcher/game ceasing to be "live"?

Or is it, you know, the vibe, your honour?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It could be argued that downloading a cracked copy of a game you've legitimately purchased and doing so in a manner that doesn't aid in its distribution (e.g. downloading it via Usenet instead of a torrent) technically isn't piracy.
Pretty sure using cracks on games you owned is not illegal in EU as it counts as modifying files (good luck getting the "videogames are licenses!" go through court in the EU).

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People can have stands on and care about both "things that have tangible impact on the world" and stuff like this. Why would they be mutually exclusive???

Aside from that, suggesting that what is legal is anywhere close to being in line with what is moral is laughable at best. Lootboxes aren't moral and healthcare discrimination based on gender identity isn't moral, yet they're both legal in the United States!

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
In a just world, it wouldn't be piracy at all.

Licenses for products that are not distributed by their license holders should become public domain far sooner than they actually do.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Legally speaking, no.

Now, if we're talking about moral grounds, yes, totally, I'd be fine with it.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a storefront I have invested significant money in shuts down without offering a way to redownload my games I am never paying for a video game again

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
If I bought a version of a game and then that version became unavailable, damn right I'm gonna pirate it lol, I fucking paid for it, I didn't rent it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Doesn't make it okay from a legal standpoint unfortunately. Even if you paid for it.

But I don't think your average person would give a shit. I already don't really give a shit, but even less shit will be given. I will hand you the tiniest winnet of shit in this instance.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While I can understand the hypothetical, the posts in this thread are likely going to violate forum rules.
Thread locked

Status
Not open for further replies.