• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could be moving from a senior position to non-senior or manager position to non-manager, director to manager, etc.

Given these circumstances:

You'd be leaving a company in financial trouble.

You'd be leaving a company that doesn't pay you your worth and income growth is unlikely in the near future.

How much more income would you need to consider it or would you just keep looking until you found an equivalent role.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I went through it, and I thought at the time it was the right thing to do. In the end I ended up wasting 6 more months of my life on a company that never saw me as a key piece (even thought they told me I was). I was happy to leave, the CEO was pulling all of the available cash flow out for personal expenses and I got demoted when I explained that's how we were not hitting our goals.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I would take a lesser job/title for:

1) More Money
2) More stability
3) More growth

I don't give a fuck about job title / role, inasmuch as my salary is affected. Earlier in my career I was a 'big fish in a little pond,' but there was almost no growth opportunity for me there other than cost of living increases. I took a job in a different sector as, I suppose, a lower-level developer, but with a corporate heirarchy that I could work up. The new job was totally lateral salary wise, same pay I was making. WIthin about 5 years I had doubled my salary from my previous job, and the place I had worked for massively cut and outsourced a lot of their staff, so it was a great career move. Some drawbacks, I traded a 5-min/walking commute for a ..... 60min commute in Boston traffic which blows, and I traded a very leisurely work schedule for something more demanding, but it's been a great move since.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went through it, and I thought at the time it was the right thing to do. In the end I ended up wasting 6 more months of my life on a company that never saw me as a key piece (even thought they told me I was). I was happy to leave, the CEO was pulling all of the available cash flow out for personal expenses and I got demoted when I explained that's how we were not hitting our goals.
You stayed at the older job or left?

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I did it to switch job functions. Not gonna lie, you certainly feel it after awhile. Overall, I felt it was worth it but just make sure to weight the pros and cons on your career.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
You stayed at the older job or left?

I stayed for 6 months. It sucked big time. The CEO became more hostile towards me over very little things. Finally one day I felt my blood pressure rising while reading an email from him. I decided that's it I'm done, and I'll go into business for myself and do a better job of growing a business in the same sector.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, depends on the context. If I was asked to take a lesser role? Red flag from the company. But I'm a "happy paying bills and saving some" kinda guy so if a job title downgrade got me more personal happiness at the cost of some salary, I'd consider it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stayed for 6 months. It sucked big time. The CEO became more hostile towards me over very little things. Finally one day I felt my blood pressure rising while reading an email from him. I decided that's it I'm done, and I'll go into business for myself and do a better job of growing a business in the same sector.

Damn, that sucks. I like my boss but they are not compensating me enough for the position.

Wowbiggulps

Dec 4, 2018
If I was miserable in the current role - yes. Personal happiness is more important; life is too short to be miserable 5 days a week.

Left my management position after a year to go back to a contributor role in the same company. I was worried at the time but honestly it was the best professional decision I have made for myself. The new job paid more to start and now pays double what I was making previously as I've moved up to a Sr. position. My old team is fine and I can support them from my new role, but they don't report to me any longer and that makes life easier.

I used to think you had to move up to Manager-type positions to be considered "successful"; that there was a success threshold you only crossed after achieving certain job titles. I was sooooo wrong, lol.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually trying to do the same thing now, but I don't know how to phrase it. The lack of work/life balance in this Senior role isn't worth the modest increase in pay.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Damn, that sucks. I like my boss but they are not compensating me enough for the position.

The CEO is the kind of person who only cares about his image, so if he needs something from you or perceives you as a vector to getting his way he is awesome. My problem was showing him all of his personal family expenses that was coming straight out of the companies accounts...I immediately became a threat to expose him as a fraud.

I still can't believe I stuck around and stuck up for the guy for six months, worst move of my career yet (in regards of being ashamed about a job).

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I don't give a shit what my title is as long as I'm making more money/benefits.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I've never went wrong when I chose happiness. Whether that was more money, a title, less stress, less time at work... The two times I've left a job voluntarily cause I wasn't happy, I felt better ASAP.

I also have no dependents and I live well below my means, so I can survive without a job for a few months if needed, so it's easier to stick to my principles, granted.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if the circumstances were right. For example, my wife left her last job as a Sr Manager to go be a manager elsewhere. She was offered roughly $30,000 more. She had the Sr Manager title back within 6 months and another $10k.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I work as a 911 dispatcher at a college campus police station and yeah, I am looking at exiting this career field entirely, potentially even for lower pay.

Took this job because it meant moving back to my college town from my hometown (I had gone broke and had to move back in with my parents), and it nearly doubled the pay I was making at my previous full time job as an assistant store manager at GameStop. I was robbed twice in 2014 at my GameStop location, once at gunpoint and the second time was a physical assault that landed me in the hospital for minor injuries. Suffice to say, it felt like a very necessary and appreciated lifestyle upgrade, and it legitimately was for my first couple of years here, despite the pretty rigorous training. 6 month hiring process, 6 month training, 1 year of probationary employment (which meant I was more susceptible to termination for critical mistakes and made 20% less pay during my first year out of training). I don't think it's standard particularly at university police departments that dispatchers receive the full level of training that neighboring city and county dispatchers do, but that's how my current workplace operates, so I am expected to operate at the capacity of a full, "legitimate" dispatcher.

I took this job more out of desperation to escape my hometown (which I have hated since I left for college) and to put some distance away from my trauma, plus my closest friends and my brother still lived in my college town so it was for that reunion as well. I kind of had hesitation about how I'd fit in here at the work culture, and I figured it might be a lot friendlier and community-focused than typical police stations. Genuinely, for the most part that has been true for a good chunk of my time here, but Trumpism started to take hold pretty hard in the last few years and this department has really started to take on a persecution complex in the wake of recent events, especially since the campus just began its new semester and we've already seen some protest activity. It doesn't instill me with apprehension or fear, but the larger culture here doesn't like it at all and I've heard some nasty commentary about what's going on. We have had perfectly peaceful demonstrations, but it is freaking some of the folks out here big time. And yes, they are calling for defunding and abolishment of our police station... and I genuinely don't oppose it.

That said, either by eventual necessity of the aforementioned movement or by my own apprehension to the increasingly alarming attitudes and behavior I'm starting to see emerge in this environment, I feel like I need a new job. I'd prefer to be more public-service facing, as my experience in retail has made me kind of hesitant to work for private corporations ever again, but a lot of those positions have hiring freezes locally due to COVID-19.

Still pretty early in figuring out my transition. No idea what kind of field I'll move into, how much pay I'm willing to take a hit on, etc... I just got a 15% raise to my pay just prior to COVID-19, but I know I'm participant in a system that's pretty fucking unjust. If attitudes around here had remained more community-oriented like I'd seen demonstrated in my early years here, then I'd genuinely believe there was a chance we'd be able to argue for our continued existence, but I've seen some pretty insane warping of attitudes during Trump's tenure that awoke some of the worst aspects of people, and I feel increasingly terrible about my participation, and I can no longer fall back on the notion that I help people to ease the guilt about the culture that's emboldening here. Being college-oriented, this agency doesn't have a lot of exceptional instances of extremely wrongful incidents, but I know with the way the culture is developing behind the scenes, it's only starting to feel like a matter of time. Trumpism is the double-down for most people working here right now.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This could be moving from a senior position to non-senior or manager position to non-manager, director to manager, etc.

Given these circumstances:

You'd be leaving a company in financial trouble.

You'd be leaving a company that doesn't pay you your worth and income growth is unlikely in the near future.

How much more income would you need to consider it or would you just keep looking until you found an equivalent role.

Yes I would, but that's because I've never worked for a company I cared about. So they could go out of business for all I care, and for my last job, I hoped they did.

I care about pay and job security, and if that means taking a lesser role than that's fine with me, as long as I get those two things.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As an emergency nurse I've though about this. Personally it's crossed my mind that someday I could just take a job as a wardsmen and do something a little less stressful. I think I'd be good at the job and it would certainly be a much simpler life.

Not sure I'd ever do it though as I do love my job.

Nov 19, 2019
I think if you're ever in a place where you're seriously considering such a move, then your mind is already made up. I've made this move before and it worked out very well for me. EDIT: Though it was very scary at the time, and I had big doubts for the first year or so.

I also think any time someone's thought process centers around "not being paid your worth", there's actually something even more fundamental that's wrong with the role. I'd be very surprised to see a raise of any size quell these feelings in anything more than a temporary way.