• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you tip if the feature was available?

• Yes!

Votes: 28 7.3%
  • No!

Votes: 210 54.4%
  • Do i look like a charity to you?

Votes: 123 31.9%
  • Only if the experience was exceptional

Votes: 25 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
There are already several ways indie developers can ask for funding, Patreon, Indiegogo, Kickstarter, etc.
They're all different.

Like, Patreon is subscription-based service, so basically you obligated to pay every month and not all can afford this. Of course you can cancel sub after several months, and then resume it later – but it's not very convenient.

Kickstarter is for upcoming projects, not current ones. Plus project can fail on funding stage (like Project Rap Rabbit for example). And we lost so many potentially good games because of this.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Keep in mind i'm not just talking about AAA games i was talking about Indie games too. Also this is something that is 100% optional and would have no consequences to players if they do not wish to do so.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For indie games, I would prefer they just have a paypal or patreon or kickstarter or however else people get tipped online nowadays. I think putting it in your game has the potential for a lot of blowback.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think there could be something here for games on sites like Itch.io and GameJolt, who often release games for free and are made by independent people. But outside of that? No, I don't really think so.

Aug 9, 2018
They're all different.

Like, Patreon is subscription-based service, so basically you obligated to pay every month and not all can afford this. Of course you can cancel sub after several months, and then resume it later – but it's not very convenient.

Kickstarter is for upcoming projects, not current ones. Plus project can fail on funding stage (like Project Rap Rabbit for example). And we lost so many potentially good games because of this.
I don't get how it would be an inconvenience to cancel but ok that might be an issue for some, but how does tipping change a project failing on funding stage?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Asking consumers to pay the devs when publishers should be asked to is a problem. When publishers stop pocketing all the profits and pay their devs then they can ask me for anything more than the price for the game itself.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Why are you looking for as many ways possible to spend extra money on games you already have TaySan?
Just buy extra copies and run giveaways or something if you want to do that.

I'm bad with money i guess. :/
I just hate the idea of not "owning" the game so that's why gamepass kinda bothers me.
Anyways that thread just had me thinking about something like this so i thought it would be an interesting idea for those who don't want to go through something like Patreon or Kickstarter.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
hqdefault.jpg

YOU WHAT ?!

Oct 25, 2017
I could definitely see this as being the new race to the bottom. Creative works should not be about charity, creatives should have the courage to charge money for their time and work.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is streamers are free to watch while a lot of games cost money. Itch has a pay what you want option for some games which I occasionally toss a buck or two twords.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Between this thread and the one about buying games after you have played them on Game Pass, you seem to really want to give more money to these game companies.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I like the way some indie devs have done this by making some throw away DLC thats like a little thing but they charge liked $10 for it. I'd never support something like this on a mid range or AAA game but for one made by just a couple people I'll buy those little DLCs that don't really add much to the game just to show love.

Nov 4, 2017
Publishers would just use it to justify their continued exploitation of workers. "We should be allowed to pay them $2 an hour because we project they will make $50,000 in tips per year!"

Also tipping making better service is a myth. The most garbage customer service I've ever experienced in my life was in the US. People have more time and energy to be polite and helpful when they don't have to work 60 hours a week across three jobs just to make rent in a slum.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Tipping is only a necessity in a society where people are not paid a living wage for a full time job. Where it is custom, I will tip a person that serves me but I will not tip a for profit corporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.