• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I was just wondering that maybe perhaps in the future, with GPS tech and such, could cars be electronically governed to go just the speed limit , whatever that may be on the particular stretch of road the vehicle is travelling on, and would that stop you from buying one.,?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
..and be fucked when I'm trying to drive away from an erupting volcano or dinosaurs?

No thank you.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. If you can't handle doing 70 in a 50 (or whatever that is in miles, for stupid people) then get off the roads or take a bus.

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
If it was the only option...sure, I guess.

But I hate the idea and would try to avoid it like the plague. I'd drive old cars without that "feature" as long as possible.

Also, German democracy as we know it would end on the day that happens.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
We have the tech to not go faster since the car was invented. It was explained to me that the reason that never happened was safety, ironically. You need a strong engine for fast maneuvering, quick stops, just plain acceleration from 0 to even move and start the engine. Somebody mentioned escaping dinosaurs, but really, sometimes you really need to floor it from a hazard. It can be a bike or another car or practically anything.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I don't speed during normal driving but there are situations where briefly speeding up is the safest thing to do, so no.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Given the shit I see people do daily on the roads (in CA), yeah. Limit us all to <30mph, people are nuts.

OP
OP
Grizzel Greedigut
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Okay I'm just spitballing here, but what if we passed a freedom limit for all roads and highways, essentially a speed limiter. Omg we can make this a part of the dept. of transportation. The infrastructure alone would (cost trillions lol) make so many new jobs. Oh! And to be able to use the new highways/roads you'll need an electric car. And you're more than welcome to drive fast, for a nominal fee, .5 cents a mile, compounding.

Okay. Now I'm clearly insane. Thank you for wallowing in my delusions for but a moment.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a person with a driver's license, I don't get the need to pass someone who's going the speed limit.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I would love it.

Literally not a single person seems to go the limit here in Spain and it's terrifying sometimes. And the amount of times I've had people literally flashing their lights and honking their horns at me because I'm "only" going 10km or so over the speed limit is insane. How these people function in their day-to-day lives when they're so impatient in their cars, I will never understand.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
won't have much choice in 5-10 years or so I suspect

Outside of special jobs I don't think humans will even be permitted to drive cars on public roads in 20 years in some countries.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be down for that, most Germans would riot tho lol.
Starting 2020/21 ,as far as I know, the EU will already mandate every new car to have speed sign recognition and alert the driver with annoying peeps that he's over the speed limit. Question is if auto breaking is going to happen... It's just a matter of time.

At the moment you can tell the a BMW how much over the speed limit it can go (up to +10km/h I think) so yeah.... Germans may not take that that we'll :)

You can adjust that for the car to stay steady in a 50/60/50/60 road without constantly breaking inbetween ...

Last edited:

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Fuck no. So if i'm on road travelling behind a car at 55mph and I want to overtake safely but a limiter kicks in at 60mph halfway through passing? No thanks.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If it instantly applied to everyone else, sure. If I'm the poor sucker who is holding up the flow of traffic, absolutely not.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Starting 2020/21 ,as far as I know, the EU will already mandate every new car to have speed sign recognition and alert the driver with annoying peeps that he's over the speed limit. Question is if auto breaking is going to happen... It's just a matter of time.
Given how often my car misreads/misses signs that would be annoying af.

Oct 25, 2017
In residential areas of Hugh density sure. I live on a 35moh street and people do 50 down it

I'm sorry but people vastly underestimate the power under the ass and don't respect what they're controlling

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Even people under the speed limit can be hazardous such as swerving. I would be very much against this. Sometimes speeding is the smartest and safest play especially when passing others who are driving in an unsafe manner.