• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you sentence people to eternal hell?

• Yes

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 823 72.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It would seem to me that if hell is as bad as some think it is, and in fact, probably far worse if it's actually real (which I don't subscribe to), there isn't really a crime known to man that would deserve an eternity of punishment.

But man, there's some that could probably do with like 100,000 years worth of being molested by hot pokers.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Say whatever makes you feel better. Here in the real world, people like you are the reason rapists and murderers go free just to do it again.
No, you just have absolutely no idea what 'eternity' is. Don't turn this into a commentary on the justice system, it is the furthest thing from that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the conversion rate for sins to adequate punishment time?

Like a mass shooter, a rapist, a war criminal, etc - how do you even quantify how long in hell would be long enough?

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
No, you just have absolutely no idea what 'eternity' is. Don't turn this into a commentary on the justice system, it is the furthest thing from that.

No, I do. I just don't lie to myself about the world we live in, or the people we share it with. But if you think everyone deserves redemption, good luck with that.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Say whatever makes you feel better. Here in the real world, people like you are the reason rapists and murderers go free just to do it again.
Are you one of those "better potentially execute innocent people than potentially let guilty people go" nuts?
Here I the real world, about 90% of criminologists think the death penalty is shit, and rehabilitative systems are shown to work better than "just lock them away" systems.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who allows hell to exist is a right bastard, and possibly closest to deserving to be in there. Still not deserving though, nobody deserves that.

If Hell existing means there can be something definitive for people to point to as the ultimate example of "don't do this shit" then I think the monstrosity of allowing it to exist at all is justified. It doesn't need to be fair, it just needs to keep people from committing mass murder, advocating for the murder of minorities, etc.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If Hell existing means there can be something definitive for people to point to as the ultimate example of "don't do this shit" then I think the monstrosity of allowing it to exist at all is justified. It doesn't need to be fair, it just needs to keep people from committing mass murder, advocating for the murder of minorities, etc.
What would make you think that hell can do what the death penalty can't?
Like, there are people who commit murder who believe in hell.
This is purely hypothetical, but I don't think it could be worth it, even if we had a live video feed

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I do. I just don't lie to myself about the world we live in, or the people we share it with. But if you think everyone deserves redemption, good luck with that.
And you believe that zero people deserve redemption? You think that's better?

And the thread has nothing at all to do with redemption, so we are back to a basic misunderstanding of the premise of the OP.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Are you one of those "better potentially execute innocent people than potentially let guilty people go" nuts?
Here I the real world, about 90% of criminologists think the death penalty is shit, and rehabilitative systems are shown to work better than "just lock them away" systems.

Nope. Are you actually implying innocent people are sent to Hell? lmao.

And you believe that zero people deserve redemption? You think that's better?

And the thread has nothing at all to do with redemption, so we are back to a basic misunderstanding of the premise of the OP.

So because I don't think every person deserves redemption, I must think no one does? That's certainly a take...

If it's not about redemption, then what exactly is the point of this temporary hell?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Nope. Are you actually implying innocent people are sent to Hell? lmao.
I'm implying no such thing.
Your "Here in the real world, people like you are the reason rapists and murderers go free just to do it again." statement made me ask, because it sounded like you thought these people should be killed tbh.

If it's not about redemption, then what exactly is the point of this temporary hell?
EDIT: I am confused. Why do you think it's temporary?
This is about a permanent hell. And what's the point of a permanent hell? Besides getting off to the thought of bad people being tortured, raped and killed for years and years?

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Nearly 30% of the people who voted in this poll are either trolling or they're the most heinous psychopaths I could imagine. For the sake of my belief in humanity I'm unwatching this unmitigated train wreck of a thread. I'm cut to the quick.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
There are ways to damn someone to eternal hell without making it impossible to escape from via redemption.

Eg. I would damn Trump to hell, but I would damn him to a hell where he doesn't know he's dead and is still President. This is the test of redemption.

If he continues to be the piece of shit we all hate, then he has to live through the same torment over and over again.

If he redeems himself, then his torment ends.

When you're talking about the eternal after-life, the concept of time and our perception of time goes out the window.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure we could figure out something between "just go free" and "eternal hell of punishment and torture".

There are ways to damn someone to eternal hell without making it impossible to escape from via redemption.

Eg. I would damn Trump to hell, but I would damn him to a hell where he doesn't know he's dead and is still President. This is the test of redemption.

If he continues to be the piece of shit we all hate, then he has to live through the same torment over and over again.

If he redeems himself, then his torment ends.

When you're talking about the eternal after-life, the concept of time and our perception of time goes out the window.

I would just make realize he's wrong and welcome him to heaven because I wouldn't waste my powers toying with people.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Nearly 30% of the people who voted in this poll are either trolling or they're the most heinous psychopaths I could imagine. For the sake of my belief in humanity I'm unwatching this unmitigated train wreck of a thread. I'm cut to the quick.
Here's the interesting thing:
www.resetera.com

Are you for or against the death penalty if there are no false convictions

This is more of a morale question, the last thread on this was based in the real world. Obviously the death penalty shouldn’t be in effect in the real world as innocents would be killed. Therefor that thread was pretty cut and dry. We aren’t going to go in specifics as to what would be worthy...
Those numbers are pretty close. I'd be curious to see if there is a huge overlap there.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I'm implying no such thing.
Your "Here in the real world, people like you are the reason rapists and murderers go free just to do it again." statement made me ask, because it sounded like you thought these people should be killed tbh.

If we're using Hell as a base, none of those people are innocent in this discussion. There's not some technicality that sent the wrong person to jail/eternal damnation. Should I feel bad that someone who's assaulted children for 30 years ends up hurt or dead?

You're arguing against a permament, infinite hell, but your argument apparently has nothing to do with the redemption of the perpetrators? What, then? Is your entire argument "eternity bad"?

I'm sure we could figure out something between "just go free" and "eternal hell of punishment and torture".

Sure, but I'm also not saying all sins/crimes are deserving of the same punishment. I'm reserving eternal damnation for the real monsters who don't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm surprised that's such an issue.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If we're using Hell as a base, none of those people are innocent in this discussion. There's not some technicality that sent the wrong person to jail/eternal damnation. Should I feel bad that someone who's assaulted children for 30 years ends up hurt or dead?
I wasn't talking about hell. I was talking about the death penalty based on your weird "this mindset lets murderers go free in the real world" statement. I'm not sure even you knew what you meant by that.

You're arguing against a permament, infinite hell, but your argument apparently has nothing to do with the redemption of the perpetrators? What, then? Is your entire argument "eternity bad"?
An eternity of torture means that the person would endure more suffering than all of humanity ever alive put together. Being tortured physically, being killed, being raped, being shown images that would break any person. Forever.
If you want to reduce it to the very basic statement, the entire argument is "eternity bad", yes. But really, it's the fact that no amount of crimes would justify that sort of punishment, and thinking this would be an okay thing is ridiculously bloodthirsty.
It's not okay for the same reason torture isn't okay as punishment in real life, but much worse.

Sure, but I'm also not saying all sins/crimes are deserving of the same punishment. I'm reserving eternal damnation for the real monsters who don't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm surprised that's such an issue.
What happens after 400 years of being tortured in the vilest of ways, when the person has already forgotten what they even did? "Too bad, there was a bad thing you did that you can't even recall because all you know now is pain?"

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The irony of people saying "Yes, but only the really evil people" is actually artwork. Like, three shades of wonderful irony laid delicately across the canvas of public internet discourse. Not often are you painted such a beautifully insightful picture into humanity. If I could think of a way to accurately represent the context of the posts I'd seriously consider framing some and hanging them on my wall.

Last edited:

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Well. If a corporation can be considered a person under law. Then there are a few that I would banish to the shadow realm, or to hell as the kids are saying these days

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Definitely not, no matter how bad.

Humans can't really conceptualize just what "forever" would be, and there's a limit to punishment where it just turns to cruelty

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue how seemingly normal people managed to have such truly sadistic and depraved moral compasses

The only explanations that I can even begin to comfortably entertain are trolling, flippancy, and misunderstanding
yeah, basically. it's just emotional responses vs thought out ones.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What would make you think that hell can do what the death penalty can't?
Like, there are people who commit murder who believe in hell.
This is purely hypothetical, but I don't think it could be worth it, even if we had a live video feed

Edit: Nevermind, I got too heated over a silly hypothetical

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best job ever, where do I sign up?

I think eternal punishment hypothetically isn't fair since what is good and wrong is easier or harder do to the situation you were born in. I think the idea of reincarnation or dumping people into the eternality of life until they get it right is a far better hell.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
For those who say eternal hell would be okay for some people:
Do you think torturing these people until they die one day would be okay too? I'd love to hear some thoughts on why/why not, and where you see a meaningful difference.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I am honestly shocked at the number of people who would do it.

People are even more trash than I expected, and my expectations are in the gutter.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
This thread got referenced in my recent thread about Christianity

And I just want to say,
28.6 percent of people either legitimately cannot comprehend eternity, or, ya'll are absolute psychopaths.
It is utterly impossible for a finite transgression to deserve eternal punishment.
A person could be responsible for the destruction of all life in existence and they still wouldn't remotely deserve eternal punishment.

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely not and anyone who says yes has questionable morals

also one of the reasons why religion is obvious total BS unless God is a psychopath

Edit: lol oops I didn't realize I already wrote something in here

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"This person is a monster for committing unspeakable acts to another human being! Thus, I feel comfortable sentencing them to an unspeakable, eternal punishment because the only thing separating me from them is that my act of horror will take place on a different plane of existence."

Oct 31, 2017
People who end up being horrible human beings tend to have some sort of explanation as to how they became that way, whether that's a horrible childhood, or brain chemistry, or etc., it kind of, sort of, is not entirely in their control

that's not to say that they don't deserve to be held accountable for their actions, but eternal torture? Lol

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
The irony of people saying "Yes, but only the really evil people" is actually artwork. Like, three shades of wonderful irony laid delicately across the canvas of public internet discourse. Not often are you painted such a beautifully insightful picture into humanity. If I could think of a way to accurately represent the context of the posts I'd seriously consider framing some and hanging them on my wall.

This is a beautiful post

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Haha, well put. In the real world I'm also more in favour of rehabilitation rather than for punitive for life sentencing.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
over 28% are sadistic psychos here huh? quite a bit higher than i thought.

i honestly think no human deserves even 10 billion years of torture, let alone endless time. seems overkill, no?

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody deserves eternal damnation. That said, some people's stay in hell should be a very, very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.