• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you say that Sony is becoming the HBO equivalent of the gaming world?

• Yes, Sony feels similar to HBO in the type & quality of their output

Votes: 490 40.1%
  • No, stop smoking crack before breakfast OP

Votes: 732 59.9%

• Total voters

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean to be fair Sony covers everything from Dreams and Astro Bot to The Last of Us. However, the big money makers for both companies are their big dramas (God of War, The Last of Us, etc. for Sony and Game of Thrones, West World, etc. for HBO)
I guess if you ignore counterpoints and shift goalposts you can twist whatever you want to into fitting arbitrary narratives.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
What if my answer is yet to both choices in the poll?

Then I would say I've always got a back up stash ;)
giphy.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs more gratuitous nudity and sex for the comparison to be applicable.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
User Warned: Console wars
You're getting flak OP but I see where you're coming from, and it's a fair comparison in terms of the quality of their first-party games. MS wishes it had even one decent CRPG, let alone multiple high-quality franchises like GoT, Horizon, TLOU, Spider-Man, and Days Gone.

May 17, 2019
I agree with that sentiment, but I also feel like what stands out as being remarkable in gaming narrative is the bare minimum to get a "foot in the door", so to speak, for other forms of media.

For the most part, yes, I'd agree that the lauded works are simply above-average blockbusters, but there are works that I respect as an avid filmwater (nearly 2k on Letterboxd) and as an English major. Games like Disco ELysium, Pathologic 1/2, The Void, Kentucky Route Zero, Galatea, This War of Mine, What Remains of Edith Finch, Beckett, Beeswing, Killer7, Devotion, LISA, A House of Many Doors, Where THe Water Tastes Like Wine, and Norwood Suite all absolutely floor me.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was like "OP IS WRROOOONNG" and then I was like "OP IS ACTUALLY RIGHT".. I'm going back in forth. Maybe they are like HBO jr :)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
For the most part, yes, I'd agree that the lauded works are simply above-average blockbusters, but there are works that I respect as an avid filmwater (nearly 2k on Letterboxd) and as an English major. Games like Disco ELysium, Pathologic 1/2, The Void, Kentucky Route Zero, Galatea, This War of Mine, What Remains of Edith Finch, Beckett, Beeswing, Killer7, Devotion, LISA, A House of Many Doors, Where THe Water Tastes Like Wine, and Norwood Suite all absolutely floor me.

Your list is perfection.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting comparison and I see what you're saying.

I worry about how difficult it is for others to keep up. It's almost like the industry would benefit a lot if Sony could let everybody just... see what they're doing. I know it's time, talent, and money... but like... can Sony start a school or some shit?

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I can't think of a single Sony game that's even close to being as bad as the abominations that were seasons 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I voted yes because I get the idea but none of their games outside of maybe TLOU are of the same dramatic quality.

To me it is more like MS is Netflix, a lot of content and value but non that is amazing.

To me Sony are like the Marvel universe, big budget, critically acclaimed properties that might not as amazing as movies but among the best in gaming.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Not gonna lie, that's a spectacular list for gaming narratives. I can't wait for Disco Elysium to hit the console space so it can have its spotlight moment.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I know this site leans a tad towards sony - was relieved to see enough sanity on here that yes isn't winning. It's worringly close though.

People love to erase shit like days gone from memory.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I like a bunch of Sony's games and I will say the comparison is apt when it comes to production values. I just feel cutscene heavy games with a strong cinematic focus is not what I want to see from the medium and I don't think that's what brings it forward.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
They are the certainly the third person action game makers of the video game word.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Is Sony Zack Snyder of gaming? lol.

I'd say Sony was closer to HBO during the previous gen when they were more willing to invest into less blockbusterish content.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
All of HBO's show's are available on their subscription service the day they are released, so no? :)

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
TLoU2 was very much like playing an HBO show, but I wouldn't say that applies to most of their other series. Maybe Days Gone.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see where I ignored counterpoints and shifted goalposts lol
If your sole point of comparison is that both companies attempt to produce their medias version of Oscar bait offerings, you're on point.

If you look at the broader scope of actual content offering ranges, Sonys game offering are very shallow compared to that of HBO. Sonys range of gaming media is very small compared to the breadth of HBOs offerings and especially light on children focused educational content and adult content specifically of the Sexual Nature and there's nothing comparable to Last Week Tonight.
If you look at how both distribute their content, Sony offers dedicated hardware to sell dedicated games with additional dedicated service pairings. HBO is a service add-on.

So no Sony is not the HBO of Games outside of one aspect.

Last edited: